• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

IN Match: Liverpool v Man Utd (Sunday Sept. 23rd - 1330 GMT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
This match seems almost irrelevant compared to the mosaic displays and club gestures which will be happening.
Hopefully both sets of supporters will be respectful towards each other, and more importantly towards the significance of the whole days meaning.

As for the match, be nice to beat them, cant see it happening though, draw at best.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
Completely agree that the Hillsborough issue will overshadow this match.

Nevertheless, there is still football to be played, and in my opinion, our defensive behaviour will be key. If we can defend properly, I think we have a chance. The mancs were bad in their last CL game. They won, but were bad (and of course, lucky, with the ref in their back-pocket... hopefully their luck is out and we'll have a good ref in charge...).

Doggie

Resident Optimist
I think we can win this match, they are frail at the back and we can score goals.

We have to tighten up ourselves though - defensive errors have been our downfall this season.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Not looking forward to this game, i'd take a point now. Can see Van Persie doing us some harm, hopefully the lads will raise their game and do us proud.

Hope to see this team;

............................Reina.......................
Kelly.........Skrtel..........Agger.........Johnson
...........Shelvey.....Allen.....Gerrard.........
...........Sterling.....Borini.....Suarez.........

AnfieldCat

TIA Squad Member
I'm dreading it really, usually I look forward to this fixture with optimism but I am very nervous, Although Man U were crap midweek and we were improved last night, lets hope this can be the win we need to really kickstart the season!

Doggie

Resident Optimist
Not looking forward to this game, i'd take a point now. Can see Van Persie doing us some harm, hopefully the lads will raise their game and do us proud.

Hope to see this team;

No chance. I want a win, and how nice would it be for Rodgers' first league victory?

United are over reliant on Scholes, and he played a full match on Wednesday. I do think they will try and hit us on the break, so as ever, first goal is very important.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
I'd settle for a free kick like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhdSdGfbBow

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
we always step it up for United, if we play like we did against Citeh we should be able to get a draw.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
couldn't come in a worse time IMO.
we are not playing well ( EL game doesn't help because it will be a completely new squad ), defence is shaky, Reina is miles from his usual self. midfield is playing average on current form, and as for goals - best not open this issue.
every must connect perfectly on sunday to give us a chance.
hate to say it, and even more to admit it, but on current form, the scum are a much better side.

having said all that, i have seen in my own eyes Kuyt score a hat trick against the scum, so anything is possible. when playing at anfield, with the whole Hillsborough issue overshadowing, only a fool will write us off.

3:1 LFC, gerrad to score and dedicate it to Jean Paul.

Matt

Poor Scouser Tommy
Admin
When rafa was the man to get us out of a mess? Didn't quite work out did it....
When we were 3-0 down to AC Milan in a Champions League Final, or about to out to Olympiakos at Anfield. I could go on but this topic isn't about Rafa. Quite frankly anyone who doesn't appreciate what Rafa did for this football club doesnt understand football.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Hopefully both sets of supporters will be respectful towards each other, and more importantly towards the significance of the whole days meaning.
I honestly don't see much hope for this considering MUST's view that 'banter' can include any song that alludes to but does not explicitly name Hillsborough. If they see nothing wrong with the 'victims' song, there is no reason not to sing it at Anfield on Sunday. I believe Ferguson's sentiment is genuine, but it is clearly not shared by a significant section of Manc supporters.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
I'm going to put bets on the following:

Gerrard Hatrick
Gerrard Red Card
Gerrard Subbed before 70 minutes

IF he can reign himself in and play BR's way, our team might win but I anticipate a very loose cannon captain fantastic display which will result in one of the above.

All about the mosaic, the memory and the fans tomorow though, football is just the backdrop to 96 empty houses, families and friends.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I can't see us getting 3 points with the way we have been going this season.... and this...

they are frail at the back and we can score goals.

I think we will be surprised that those 5 goals against Young Boys aren't going to come in this game, totally different sets of players and quality. We can't score goals, that has been our problem and to win this game we need to defend well and score. We don't do either of those two part well enough. So tough for us to get a result this time around.

Let's just sit back and enjoy the ride.....

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
I never look forward to these games. Even less now, with many of our players insisting on making a few significant personal errors every game. With Van Persie and Kagawa they're much more dangerous through the middle, plus we may see Antonio Valencia against an out of form José Enrique....hopefully Rodgers plays Johnson there instead. I think we'll need to score at least two to win this game.

Gerrard has to turn up for this game, and I'm hoping for some magic from Luis. If we can manage to reduce the individual errors in defensive areas and the transitional phases to a minimum, we've got a good chance.

wembley 65

TIA Youth Team
hopefully the game wont be overshadowed by the spat between luis and the gobshite.

Genius

The Somewhat Normal One
Quite frankly i will settle for this piece of magic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM4O4Da4sDI

Digary

Valencia vs Johnson/Enrique is what worries me. Valencia is the best winger in the league and he can shred anyone to bits. If he plays to his best he is devasating.

Whoever plays LW will have to put in a shift defensively to help out our LB.

nimitzz

TIA Reserve Team
well this is what i see" Liverpool mark first victory of their 2012/13 season by winning against Manchester United"

Matt

Poor Scouser Tommy
Admin
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19671995

Sorry but this is a terrible idea from Fowler; forcing players to do something makes the sentiment completely hollow.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
(...)

Hope to see this team;

I'm sure we will see something like this, although I'd expect Sterling to start on the left, as he has done really well there in recent games, and hopefully Suarez will play on the right with Borini in the center. Shelvey definitely deserves a start, hopefully in a position ahead of Gerrard and Allen, just behind Borini, like against YB. Those two seem to be about to build up a good partnership.

My only genuine hope regarding the line-up however, is that Downing won't come anywhere near the starting line. Ideally, he'll be relegated on the stands for this one, with a young player like Pacheco or Suso on the bench. Places in the team must be deserved on performance-level, not on reputation, and Downing doesn't deserve anything for the time being.

Matt

Poor Scouser Tommy
Admin
Think our starting 11 is pretty straight forward.

Only question really is where the front 3 line-up. I'd prefer to see Sterling and Suarez wide to begin with, get at United's two full backs, Evra and Rafael, both their weakest areas of the team. Allow S & S to switch, get a couple booked early on.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
winning these matches, for both sides, requires that everybody performs. you can't win in first gear, goes for the scum aswell.
key factors will be to get control over the midfield, if carrick and scholes will have time to pass the ball freely, we'll be chasing them around all day. this means allen is critical. his defensive performance will determine this part.
another key figure, will be Borini. Suarez and sterling ( assuming he starts ) are a handfull. Borini must either find space in the middle to get the ball from the wings, or create enough problems for vidic and ferdinand so they won't double on suarez or sterling.

problem is, this is their first time playing such a big match. lots of pressure

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
We both seem a little frail at the back to be honest, so may be a few goals in this game, but you never know. You can throw the script out for this game. I would love to see:

Johnson Skrtel Agger Enrique​
Allen Sahin​
Shelvey​
Gerrard Borini Suarez​

Shelvey has earned himself a spot in the team I think, and it has to be right behind the front 3. I think the answer of what to do with Gerrard is to push him up and let him be one of the three attacking players. Bring Sterling of the bench for the last 20 or 30 minutes if we need a lift.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Wouldn't a repeat of this be nice?

Suarez to bag a hat-trick in a 3-1 win this time :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY3cJwsRttY

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Whatever team Brendan selects, I hope Enrique and Sahin don't feature. Sahin appears slow and unfit, no doubting his quality and lovely technique and all that, but he is far too easy to go past and a dream to play against. I would prefer Shelvey and Henderson ahead of him at this time but hopefully he will come good when he is properly match-fit.

As for Enrique, he infuriates me with the amount of time he holds onto the ball, i would go as far to say that i would pick Robinson ahead of him at the moment. He really needs to up his game otherwise i can see him being moved on.

Have a bad feeling about this game, a Suarez hat-trick isn't gonna happen, got a feeling that Van Persie, Kagawa and Valencia will nick them a narrow win.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Wouldn't a repeat of this be nice?

Suarez to bag a hat-trick in a 3-1 win this time :-)
Is there anything better than a hat-trick versus Mancs wearing horrible jerseys? Pity they won't be wearing the tablecloth.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
I never dread these games. We tend to have a lift for them. Ofcourse Hillsborough overshadows the game, but I think it has the ability to become a springboard for the match for the players. The first steps towards Justice have been been taken following the report and a win against our bitter rivals to dedicate it to the 96 would be the perfect end to the week. Anfield will be the cauldron and uncomfortable place that BR wants it to be. The fans will be in full song and the playes will be focused.

In terms of starting XI I would like to see this (as set out by SirBillShankley).
Enrique will 100% not get a start!

Sterling should play on the right up against the ageing Evra who's not got the pace he used to. Meanwhile Suarez will have the ability to make Refeal look a fool. Obviously they can chop and change as the game goes on. I really hope Suarez (if he is up against Evra) avoids the antics and lets his football do the talking.

The important bit for this game has to be Gerrard pulling his weight in the way BR wants. It's got to be disciplined. Oh how I wish Lucas was fit for this one.

On a side note, I really hope the Fox TV cameras are there for this one as it would be cracking viewing on the Being Liverpool doco.

Status
Not open for further replies.