• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

IN Match: Liverpool v Man Utd (Sunday Sept. 23rd - 1330 GMT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
On a side note, I really hope the Fox TV cameras are there for this one as it would be cracking viewing on the Being Liverpool doco.
I believe production completed on it in the first week of September.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
I'm going to say we win this 2-1. RVP scores an early goal, Sterling gets taken down in the box and a shooting star must of fly over Anfield at the sam time as the referee awards us a just pen which Gerrard converts. Borini hits a late winner, and we get lucky along the way with them hitting the post a couple of times.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
What are the odds on Vidic getting sent off? With the pace of our front three and the clean crisp passing of Allen it's possible.

egotripping44

Got the moves like Agger
What are the odds on Vidic getting sent off? With the pace of our front three and the clean crisp passing of Allen it's possible.
Agreed, I think we should really be trying to get at Vidic early and try and make him nervous

In regards to the rest of the game, I think the starting XI is fairly obvious, I think Borini will start through the middle and I think he'll score. I'd also be surprised if Gerrard didn't score, seems THE time for him. Hoping we can win this and kick start our league campaign!

1dragon

TIA Regular
Not confident of this game at all. These days, the more complacent us fans become, the worse we seem to do. So, I think we will be lucky to get a draw here, especially with our chronic problem of lack of goal scoring. Skrtel and Reina had the entire week to sort out their problems, so I wish for an error-free performance from them. Suarez, to get the legitimate calls his way and not to dive. And Borini to get some form of reward for his hard work. Too much to ask?

Redbelly

TIA Youth Team
There has been alot of talk about needing the right players for BR's system and players needing to 'buy in' to his system. I can't tell if Gerrard is buying in and just struggling, or if he's not bought in. Any thoughts?

As for the game this weekend, I think the lineup will remain unchanged. Despite my misgivings about the game, I'll watch every glorious or miserable minute.

OhYaBeauty

I don't really think so. Sterling's got pace, but Suarez and Borini aren't exactly speedsters and Vidic will spend more time against them than Raheem. We've not got a Torres type player who's got power and pace to make Vidic look silly. And Allen will be too far removed from the action as our defensive midfielder to really play defense-splitting passes.

There has been alot of talk about needing the right players for BR's system and players needing to 'buy in' to his system. I can't tell if Gerrard is buying in and just struggling, or if he's not bought in. Any thoughts?

As for the game this weekend, I think the lineup will remain unchanged. Despite my misgivings about the game, I'll watch every glorious or miserable minute.
I wonder about this too. There's no doubt he hasn't been playing the way Rodgers wants him to. He still plays the 40 yard aerial passes and it seems as if his presence breaks up our fluid attack. I think some of it is that he's just not what we need in the attacking midfield role anymore. We need someone who's got the dribbling ability to operate in small spaces and likes to play short flicks to the front three. Gerrard used to play that way, but he doesn't seem to be able to anymore, which I think is due to him wanting to move back to central midfield to prolong his career. Shelvey fits the role much better at the moment.

The same thing is true at CM, he plays longer passes than he should, bypassing some of the creative buildup through the AM, which breaks down our play. Those passes work in a Roy or Rafa system, but they're disruptive here.

I think the problem with Stevie is two-fold. One, the rest of the team looks to him to do all the work. He finds himself with the ball at his feet more often than he should because our players will make the pass to him rather than the more obvious choice for building up the play. Two, Stevie picks the Hodgson/Benitez type pass where he should play the simple pass to the AM to continue the build up. He tries to do too much. I think its a mental thing, not that he doesn't buy in, just that Rodgers needs to talk to him about changing his mindset on the pitch so that he fits in with the play better.

OhYaBeauty

I think the major talking points for this match are who starts at left back and who plays in the midfield.

Enrique certainly does not deserve a start at left back. He's in poor form, off the back of an injury, and with bad history against Antonio Valencia. Plus he offers nothing going forward, and we'll need fullbacks to support the wingers because the Manc's fullbacks are going to be their weakness. I'd start Johnson as an "auxiliary winger" on the left and Kelly on the right. Johnson will get forward much more, almost in a Dani Alves role, while Kelly will play as a fullback instead of a wingback.

A lot of talk so far in the pre-match thread has been about switching Raheem to the right to cause problems for Evra. I don't think we'll see Evra start this one, to be honest. Ol' Whiskey Nose knows Evra's in decline and he knows that we've got pacy wide forwards and will look to exploit them. Enter Buttner, their new left back who's got pace to burn and an incredible work rate. How I think United will line up:

Rafael Vidic Evans Buttner​
Scholes Carrick​
Valencia Kagawa Nani​
RVP​

Which leads to discussion of the midfield. With them playing a three-man midfield with a lone striker for the first time in ever, the midfield battle will be much tougher. Allen obviously picks himself as the volante DM. That leaves two roles (passing CM, clever AM) for three players (Gerrard, Sahin, Shelvey). I'd argue that Shelvey is the next to pick himself as the AM, leaving the CM spot which, frankly, suits Sahin better than Gerrard. But Stevie, being the captain, will play. What I want to see:

Allen [sub]Sahin[/sub]
Shelvey​

What we will see:
Pepe​
Kelly Skrtel Agger Johnson​
[sub]Gerrard[/sub] Allen​
Shelvey​
Suarez Borini Sterling​

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
Man, fair play to Vidic for his prematch comments about the atmosphere and hillsborough matters. Used to think he was a bit of a thug, but those comments were pure class.

1988greatestteam

Wishing for number 6
we always step it up for United, if we play like we did against Citeh we should be able to get a draw.
optimistic draw? nah we should have beaten Shitty, Im confident bout this one big time. We have a decent bit of pace in our team, we stay tight on Carrick and Scholes, and we can get at them big style. Front 3 will have to work harder when we are chasing the ball though.

Reina
Wisdom Skirtel Agger Johnson
Allen
Shelvey Gerrard
Sterling Borini Suarez

The 4-3-3 looks a narrow option but it does create problems for them, and we close down the options for Carrick and Scholes they just lump it long and we gather it.

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
I really think we need to temper our expectations. 3 points would be wonderful, but seeing the run we've been on I think it's highly unlikely. I just don't want the 5 goals we scored against Young Boys to forget our first teams issues with putting the ball in the net. We also have to deal with a very much on form Robin Van Persie.

I hate to sound like Eddie, but some restraint is definitely in order.

shlohmoh

TIA Reserve Team
The onslaught from the evil machinations of the Fergussian hordes,as they seek to befoul the sweet rippling sound of the Mersey,will inspire The Blessed Brendan's call to the Liverbird and The phoenix to rise as one and bitch their butts bigtime.
4-2 ,Downing hatrick.

OhYaBeauty

The onslaught from the evil machinations of the Fergussian hordes,as they seek to befoul the sweet rippling sound of the Mersey,will inspire The Blessed Brendan's call to the Liverbird and The phoenix to rise as one and bitch their butts bigtime.
4-2 ,Downing hatrick.
Bahahahahahahaha... stop it

AnfieldCat

TIA Squad Member
I really think we need to temper our expectations. 3 points would be wonderful, but seeing the run we've been on I think it's highly unlikely. I just don't want the 5 goals we scored against Young Boys to forget our first teams issues with putting the ball in the net. We also have to deal with a very much on form Robin Van Persie.

I hate to sound like Eddie, but some restraint is definitely in order.
RVP was poor midweek, pretty anonymous apparantly so maybe he'll continue that form! Lets hope so anyway! I'd rather Rooney play with his gammy leg as hes usually shit against us!

GratefulRed

TIA Reserve Team
Ad-free Member
I hate these matches, I stress about it all week and if we lose at home to United and continue our bad run in the league, I'll be an angry git all week. Recently we've given United trouble by dominating their midfield. With the addition of Kagawa and their new 4-2-3-1 formation this may be a bit tougher than it has been in the past. A Carrick, Scholes, and Kagawa midfield will keep us busy. This may be an unpopular opinion but I'd consider a Henderson and Allen combo in this match as they both seem more mobile defensively than Shelvey or Sahin, even though Shelvey and Sahin obviously offer more of an attacking threat. Having said that, Shelvey deserves to start based on his recent performances. I think Gerrard will start and even though he's been a bit poor so far this season (the exception was the Sunderland match) he has been a nightmare for United recently and we need him to step up and shine.

I think Borini, Shelvey, and Suarez will be the starters in the three attacking positions but wouldn't be at all surprised if Assaidi played himself into the lineup. After the performance of Downing on Thursday, I hope he doesn't even make the bench. He really doesn't deserve a spot over Suso.

I hope we'll see this: Reina, Kelly, Agger, Skrtel, Johnson, Allen, Shelvey, Gerrard, Sterling, Borini, Suarez, Sterling Bench: Jones, Assaidi, Coates, Henderson, Enrique, Suso, Sahin.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Unfortunately Man U bought Van Persie in the summer. We moronically loaned out our plan B without replacing him

We are still one of the weakest LFC sides in living memory and Man U do look stronger than last year. A Man City type draw is probably the best case scenario

Need wins but this game is too soon for us I believe

OhYaBeauty

Unfortunately Man U bought Van Persie in the summer. We moronically loaned out our plan B without replacing him

We are still one of the weakest LFC sides in living memory and Man U do look stronger than last year. A Man City type draw is probably the best case scenario

Need wins but this game is too soon for us I believe
Your pessimism knows no bounds. We're actually a solid side in two of the three categories. Our defense is world class (Jose Enrique not included), our midfield has amazing depth and options, its just that our attack is shallow. With United's defense being suspect I don't see why we can't get a result.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Your pessimism knows no bounds. We're actually a solid side in two of the three categories. Our defense is world class (Jose Enrique not included), our midfield has amazing depth and options, its just that our attack is shallow. With United's defense being suspect I don't see why we can't get a result.
Our defensive unit hasn't been very good for some months now. Losing Steve Clarke also I reckon has had an adverse short term impact

They have goal scoring strikers. We don't

The first half of the season has all the hallmarks of being really rather shite. May improve our record as time goes on but RVP for me is going to enjoy his day out in Liverpool. Not a player we enjoy facing IMO

OhYaBeauty

Our defensive unit hasn't been very good for some months now. Losing Steve Clarke also I reckon has had an adverse short term impact

They have goal scoring strikers. We don't

The first half of the season has all the hallmarks of being really rather shite. May improve our record as time goes on but RVP for me is going to enjoy his day out in Liverpool. Not a player we enjoy facing IMO
All of that's reasonable. But calling us the worst Liverpool team in living memory seems a bit much. The squad is stronger than last year

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
All of that's reasonable. But calling us the worst Liverpool team in living memory seems a bit much. The squad is stronger than last year
How are we stronger than last year when the only depth we have is on Sahin and Allen, while up front we don't have a senior back up at all? We don't have a proper back up fullback as well. This team at best, on par with last season when it comes to depth. But Rich is right, since we have been enjoying having the likes of Mascherano, Sisoko, Alonso, Gerrard, Aquilani, Meireles and Hamman in the middle of the park, a midfield every single club in Europe can be proud of. We used to have Torres, Babel, Kuyt, Keane up top for us, a strikeforce, although Babel did not turn out so well, also a group of players a lot of European clubs can be proud to have.

We are weak, much weaker than Man United now and the gap has widened since 2010. We cannot be wearing those tinted glasses saying we are better than last season or having a good midfield depth. We don't really have one.

OhYaBeauty

How are we stronger than last year when the only depth we have is on Sahin and Allen, while up front we don't have a senior back up at all? We don't have a proper back up fullback as well. This team at best, on par with last season when it comes to depth. But Rich is right, since we have been enjoying having the likes of Mascherano, Sisoko, Alonso, Gerrard, Aquilani, Meireles and Hamman in the middle of the park, a midfield every single club in Europe can be proud of. We used to have Torres, Babel, Kuyt, Keane up top for us, a strikeforce, although Babel did not turn out so well, also a group of players a lot of European clubs can be proud to have.

We are weak, much weaker than Man United now and the gap has widened since 2010. We cannot be wearing those tinted glasses saying we are better than last season or having a good midfield depth. We don't really have one.
There was no point in time where all of those midfielders were at the club together, and while some were hits, Aquilani was a failure at this club and Meireles frankly only had half of a good season. Sissoko was good but Allen and Sahin are both better. Sure, our forward line isn't strong at the moment, but really only Torres and perhaps Keane were enviable strikers out of that group...

TheKaiser

Banned Users
I think we have much better depth in midfield as we moved on two rather limited players in Spearing and Adam and replaced them with two very versatile and technical players in Allen and Sahin, while at the same time Shelvey has grown in influence, stature and composure. This time last season Henderson was our second best option (in my eyes at least) for playing in one of the deep-lying roles. Now he's at least 4th if not 5th best.

However, we've clearly sacrificed depth up front since last season, in terms of losing Kuyt, Bellamy and Maxi and replacing them with essential unknown potential players in Borini, Sterling and Assaidi. Carroll isn't really a loss per se, but having another senior option is.

Still, I feel like this is where we should have been for the last three years and it's nice that we're finally here. Whether deliberately or by accident we've cleared a path for reserve players to come into the senior side, and it's immensely refreshing to see. May not pay dividends immediately but this experience for players like Wisdom, Suso and of course Sterling will be incredibly important for us in the future. And who knows, by May we might be happy that we let Yesil/Morgan/Ngoo fight it out for a place in the squad rather than trying to fit a very round ponytail into a square hole.

We're weaker at this moment than we were last season in some respects, but it's still a home match against United and I think we'll demonstrate the progress we've made in the last few weeks. Might not be a victory, but I doubt we'll be embarrassed.

daddydave

TIA Youth Team
Doubt it would happen but would love to see the in form players rewarded. I know I will be told it a mistake leaving out Gerrard for this match but I think an hour on the bench could benefit him, we might see the old Gerrard if he comes on as a sub. Gerrard is by no means finished he is what I consider to be the most influential player to ever play for the club, probably there best ever player. Every player has bad spells and I think it's bad how a lot of supporters are so quick to slate him. He has had a couple of bad games but will come good again.

-----------------reina-----------------
Johnson-skrtel-agger-wisdom
----suso-------allen---shelvey----
-----Saurez--borini--sterling-----

ptt

2020, head of the table.
There was no point in time where all of those midfielders were at the club together, and while some were hits, Aquilani was a failure at this club and Meireles frankly only had half of a good season. Sissoko was good but Allen and Sahin are both better. Sure, our forward line isn't strong at the moment, but really only Torres and perhaps Keane were enviable strikers out of that group...
Just to add, Keane was an enviable striker but never in an LFC shirt.

I'm going anti-RichLFC and predicting us giving them a 4 goal thrashing.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
The line up will be interesting. Personally I think we will scrape it 2-1 or possibly 2-0. It will be interesting to see if Brendan has made any tweaks to our tactics.

Status
Not open for further replies.