• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

IN Match: Liverpool v Man Utd (Sunday Sept. 23rd - 1330 GMT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
Doubt it would happen but would love to see the in form players rewarded. I know I will be told it a mistake leaving out Gerrard for this match but I think an hour on the bench could benefit him, we might see the old Gerrard if he comes on as a sub. Gerrard is by no means finished he is what I consider to be the most influential player to ever play for the club, probably there best ever player. Every player has bad spells and I think it's bad how a lot of supporters are so quick to slate him. He has had a couple of bad games but will come good again.

-----------------reina-----------------
Johnson-skrtel-agger-wisdom
----suso-------allen---shelvey----
-----Saurez--borini--sterling-----
First off I am one of those that think that its about time that Gerrard was reduced to more of a squad role but even I know that against ManU we need him from the start. He provides the energy, fire and experience that we need. Gerrard's problem is playing against the smaller clubs, he tends to disappear and lacks energy.

Wisdom starting at LB after playing the whole game in midweek? I think not. I see Johnson being played at LB and Kelly at RB like its been in the PL this season. Agger, Skrtel, Allen, Gerrard, Suarez and Borini are the other dead certs. Question marks around Sterling and Shelvey and Henderson might get a chance.

.........................................Reina.........................................
Kelly.................Skrtel.........................Agger..........Johnson

........................Gerrard.....................Allen.........................

.....Sterling.......................Shelvey.......................Suarez....

........................................Borini.........................................

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Got a horrible feeling we're gonna get battered, 3-0 or 4-0.

Hope to god I'm wrong. If our defence plays as it has been RVP will have a field day.

sami

TIA First Team
Unfortunately i don't see us winning this one. But don't think we'll lose it either. Defence is weak and Man Utd can punish us for that. Gonna sit on the fence for this one. Liverpool 1-1 Man Utd.

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Got a horrible feeling we're gonna get battered, 3-0 or 4-0.

Hope to god I'm wrong. If our defence plays as it has been RVP will have a field day.
I'm afraid so too.

We have an obligation to cost them points. If we can't get the 3 so they get zip, we must cost them 2 points.

Unfortunately, I don't think our style and plans reflect that - judging from the Arsenal match where we opened up and took a lot of risk. I'm afraid our management does not appear to set up to pack the midfield and protect the defense, when playing against top teams.

Such games should usually be a draw, if both teams approach it conservatively, and only be won on the margin, by one team by taking advantage of 1-2 errors.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
There was no point in time where all of those midfielders were at the club together, and while some were hits, Aquilani was a failure at this club and Meireles frankly only had half of a good season. Sissoko was good but Allen and Sahin are both better. Sure, our forward line isn't strong at the moment, but really only Torres and perhaps Keane were enviable strikers out of that group...
And Keane didn't work out that well anyway.

AnfieldCat

TIA Squad Member
Whats scaring me about the match is we just can't afford to lose it, its going to be so miserable in here if we do, with no wins so far we simply have to win it, I'm starting to get little glimpses of confidence that surely we will start winning at some point and what better a time than tomorrow!

steve10

TIA New Signing
We are in the relegation zone today. 3 points from this game is a must. We played well against Sunderland and should have had the 3 points- if we play similaraly but more importantly take our chances we should beat UTD.

TheKaiser

Banned Users
Here's what some United supporters are contemplating singing:

[background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]we take it all baaa-aa-ack[/background]
[background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]we're sorry we offended you[/background]
[background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]and that Evra is black[/background]

I doubt we'll even make it through the moment of silence before they start mouthing off, and it will likely be much worse than the above. There's no chance that all of them will respect the occasion. I just hope our fans can avoid retaliating. I have a fear that there's just too much bad feeling and instant shock potential for them to let it lie. Could get very ugly tomorrow.

Doggie

Resident Optimist
All of that's reasonable. But calling us the worst Liverpool team in living memory seems a bit much. The squad is stronger than last year
I agree, but there are too many folks that see the glass half empty, and always will lol

I also feel far more confident in the way we are playing than last season, I've no doubt that before long people will be dreading playing us.

Dodgy

TIA Youth Team
I think most of us knew when the fixture list came out that the 1st 5 games were always going to be tough for us with a new manager implementing a new system with new players. I'll be looking more at the next 5 and and especially the 2nd half of the season before making any rash jusdgements.

The way we played at Young Boys was encouraging even though I am fully aware that they are a far cry from the likes of the Mancs. If we can develop a core of young players with the flair and swagger they showed in Switzerland than the future is a bright one in my eyes.

All this 'Historical' talk of our poor start is all just media driven doom and gloom. Look at the table today; does anyone really expect the Bitters, WBA and Fulham to finish anywhere near the Top 3 this season? For all the talk of Swansea's renaissance after the 1st two matches nobody's ready to hand them the crown today are they?

If we win tomorrow we are back to mid table. A draw and we're not much worse off.
Of course I hope we thrash the Scum tomorrow but it's a good time for a little patience and a better time to celebrate the lives of the 96 and the final revealing of the TRUTH. It is an historic day; Who better to play at home in our first match since the vindication of the 96 than our dreaded rivals. YNWA

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
I seriously doubt that there will be any problems during a minutes silence. There are far too many eyes from around the world waiting to see an issue.

I must say I am really looking forward to the game and to what I believe will be a great atmostphere. I am sure that there are plenty of nerves in the bread baskets of the players. I hope they do themselves proud tomorrow, players and fans. I will be cheering them on with everything I've got!

TheKaiser

Banned Users
I would like to see

Kelly---Skrtel---Agger---Johnson

---------Allen----Shelvey----------

--------------Gerrard----------------

Sterling-----Suarez-------Assaidi

But we'll likely see Gerrard and Shelvey switched and Borini in place of Assaidi, with the front three shuffled in some way. If Borini starts, he needs to start centrally as his movement can create so much space and he seems to be a bit more direct than Luis. Their fullbacks are very weak and should be quite easily undone by pace (particularly Evra) so it would be nice to have the double threat of Assaidi and Sterling out there. The interesting (and potentially fraught) thing is that if Borini starts centrally, it will likely Suarez lining up against Evra. I can definitely imagine a scenario in which Evra manipulates Suarez to get him sent off. My hope is that now that he had one good game against Norwich and all of the fans are wanking over him, Buttner will start instead of Evra, avoiding all of that noise. He's not as susceptible to pace as Evra, but he can be undone by Suarez's trickery so that matchup might be to Luis's advantage.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Your pessimism knows no bounds. We're actually a solid side in two of the three categories. Our defense is world class (Jose Enrique not included), our midfield has amazing depth and options, its just that our attack is shallow. With United's defense being suspect I don't see why we can't get a result.
Little correction: our defence was world-class... last season, with Kenny and Clarke giving them all their experience and expertise. This season, we have shipped in 5 goals in three league games, and haven't managed so far to get a clean sheet. This isn't world-class by any means.

Our midfield looks ok on paper, but neither Gerrard nor Sahin have found full fitness so far, while Lucas is injured. This leaves us with Allen, who has done fairly well this season, and young Shelvey, who is the real good surprise of this early season. Henderson is fifth choice and won't feature anyway.

As for our attack, it is... well... shallow as you put it... two goals in three league games is nothing to shout home about. The mancs' defence is suspect, I'll give you that, but their attack is fantastic: ten goals in three league games so far...

But hopefully, this special day, and the 'derby'-atmosphere will throw all these stats out of the window, and LFC will be the team to raise most to the occasion!!!

mappen1977

TIA Reserve Team
I think Shelvey needs to start this game, and that says something ahead of a supposedly world class Sahin who's inclusion in the Arsenal game was at the wrong time. I would go with this.

.............................................................Jones.....................................
.......................Kelly..............Agger.......................Skrtel..................Glenda
........................................................... Allen.............................................
...................................Hendo,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Shelvey,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Gerrard.........................................................................................Sterling
..............................................................Suarez..............................................

Some people may say it is silly dropping Pepe and last week maybe I would have been one of them, but for me bad performances should lead to increased competition. It sends the wrong signal if someone is below par and the lads trying to get a look in are not rewarded. Jones looks half decent to me and could do a job. I feel we should shake it up and send a message to players that no one can slack, otherwise lads will be given a chance. Bold, yes...........will it happen? No. But that is what I would do anyways.

OhYaBeauty

Little correction: our defence was world-class... last season, with Kenny and Clarke giving them all their experience and expertise. This season, we have shipped in 5 goals in three league games, and haven't managed so far to get a clean sheet. This isn't world-class by any means.

Our midfield looks ok on paper, but neither Gerrard nor Sahin have found full fitness so far, while Lucas is injured. This leaves us with Allen, who has done fairly well this season, and young Shelvey, who is the real good surprise of this early season. Henderson is fifth choice and won't feature anyway.

As for our attack, it is... well... shallow as you put it... two goals in three league games is nothing to shout home about. The mancs' defence is suspect, I'll give you that, but their attack is fantastic: ten goals in three league games so far...

But hopefully, this special day, and the 'derby'-atmosphere will throw all these stats out of the window, and LFC will be the team to raise most to the occasion!!!
I'm sticking with my argument that we have a world class defense and midfield. Form is temporary, class is permanent and Agger, Skrtel and Johnson are world class while Kelly is defensively very solid. Don't really know what to say about Pepe... Their defense is just as suspect. Rio looks past it, and Vidic, while a rock, isn't as solid as he has been. Rafael is decent but unspectacular and whomever of Evra and Buttner starts is definitely a weak spot.

Our midfield is just as good as theirs at the moment, I'd take Allen, Gerrard, and Shelvey over which ever three they start in the midfield positions (likely Kagawa, Carrick and one of Cleverly, Giggs and Scholes). I know that won't be a shared opinion, but that's how I feel.

Our attack is weak and theirs is stellar, but anything can happen in a derby.

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
I'm afraid so too.

We have an obligation to cost them points. If we can't get the 3 so they get zip, we must cost them 2 points.

Unfortunately, I don't think our style and plans reflect that - judging from the Arsenal match where we opened up and took a lot of risk. I'm afraid our management does not appear to set up to pack the midfield and protect the defense, when playing against top teams.

Such games should usually be a draw, if both teams approach it conservatively, and only be won on the margin, by one team by taking advantage of 1-2 errors.
I'm 50/50 on this game.
On the one hand, all of the comments about our defense and lack of firepower up front - combined us still being in transition along with Man U just being in the groove concern me.
On the other hand - in every game we've played this year we have played some beautiful football and we seem just one pass or flick or goal away from the tipping point.
Will be a great game to watch.
I just wish Dirk was still with us.

sami

TIA First Team
I wrote this piece on my blog (and initially for lfcts.com), a special feature for today's game. Give it a read.

"DIFFERENCE IN FORTUNES FROM THAT DAY IN MARCH"

http://ootbfootball....t-day-in-march/

PS- one or two of the charts were having some trouble displaying here so i posted the link and not the entire article.

TippRed

TIA Youth Team
I'm bricking it. But cant wait. First i have my own game to play at 11.30, a quick shower (please god let us win in normal time, no extra time and peno's) and into the pub to watch us mangle the mancs. This day could go so right or so wrong for me.
Come on the pool.

I'm bricking it. But cant wait. First i have my own game to play at 11.30, a quick shower (please god let us win in normal time, no extra time and peno's) and into the pub to watch us mangle the mancs. This day could go so right or so wrong for me.
Come on the pool.

Hamidred85

I hope Assaidi will get some minutes in this game because I honestly feel he can do some good.

Nick_LFC

Bob and Phil from Brazil!
Gonna be a big lesson in atmosphere today for some of our new signings and young players :).

The biggest game of the season for me. Very excited and nervous.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
I'm too nervous and apprehensive to make a coherent comment.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
I'm too nervous and apprehensive to make a coherent comment.
I have never understood how the players could project that apparent calm as they were waiting to be led out for a game like this - I have always been more of the Viera/Keane school of tunnel behaviour.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Gone from watching in the pub to being dragged to my inlaws to hospital visiting.

Sense of perspective I guess......

Come on Liverpool!

kone

TIA Squad Member
Gone from watching in the pub to being dragged to my inlaws to hospital visiting.
sorry for your trouble mate, something like that does bring things into perspective though.

I have a feeling today is going to be one of those cagey affairs, won on a moment of genius or a mistake.

Muad

TIA New Signing
It's going to be a famous win for Liverpool today. That's it, end of discussion. I'd be shitting my pants if I was a Manure player right now.

Digary

Hoping Agger will put RVP in his pocket as he did when Denmark played Holland at Euro 2012. Dagger completely bossed him in that game.

I think a cagey 1-1 is in order. Can't see us winning today.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
not very optimistic about our chances.

decided to take my son and go see the match, cost me and arm and a leg, but figured the combination of the mancs coming and the hillsborough issue, will make this day a day to remember in the history of anfield.

sorry son, dad blew all your money on a football match.

Nismo9

TIA Youth Team

Sense of perspective I guess......

Come on Liverpool!
This may be metaphoric to how the match goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.