• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

IN Match: Liverpool v Man Utd (Sunday Sept. 23rd - 1330 GMT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TassieRed

TIA Regular
I just can't see United being as badly overwhelmed in the second half as they were in the first.

Our strength so far has been to ferociously strangle them in the midfield and starve their forwards of supply. That's going to be a lot more difficult a man down.

But still, who knows? Maybe Brendan can pull a rabbit out of the hat.

Colin

TIA First Team
I would kill for a win in this

The sending off has probably cost us not 1 but 3 points.

I just feel like every game these days has atleast one big moment against us. It's getting very very tiring

DEVGRU

Banned for the umpteenth time
The league has to do something about the consistency of calls - compare Shelvey's red today to Luiz' tackle yesterday versus Stoke. I have no idea what is an unacceptable tackle in this league now.
Still wondering how Luiz didn't get sent off for that tackle...bizzare inconsistencies as usual from the refs...

kwala

TIA Regular
We will get punished for not killing the game off. We should be out of sight.

The red is just ridiculous. Evans went in 2 footed, and Shelvey got sent off? And Shelvey actually won the bloody ball.

Lets just nick it 1-0 and move on.

Ataturk

★★★★★
A clear red, and that's been coming for Jonjo in his career. Needs to grow up. Fast.

Similar to West Brom here, we start well, then go a fuck it up and give ourselves a mountain to climb.

I would put Sahin on for Borini and go 4-3-2, with Suarez and Sterling as wide forwards with Gerrard pushing forward.

Reds

TIA Youth Team
What was jonjo saying to Sir red nose on his way out?

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Shelvey - wild, impetuous, but not a red card. Both players went in two-footed and Evans was unlucky enough to get caught. A yellow if anything.

Brendan, FFS swap Suarez and Borini. The latter is not Thierry Henri and should be in the box feeding off the havoc that Luis can create.

Other than that, absolutely fantastic performance, so long as we don't dwell on the inability to score when we are totally dominant.

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
That wasn't Red, a yellow maybe, refereee was over zealous. Evans should have been sent off !
Boy, we need a decent striker, we are so bloody close but never finish it off.
I think Borini is playing well tough.

We just got to keep the pressure up. We are playing much better than Man U, we are rattling them alot.

craigbellamy

Swinging away, hoping to land one on a motd idiot
There is a video showing the tackle, with the ref line of sight. It shows that jonjo's left foot was planted firmly onto the turf when he took the ball.

unfortunately, my phone is playing up. I'll try to post as soon as........

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
We were magnificent during that first half (even after Jonjo's undeserved red card) bar for that one, remaining weakness which has cursed us since so long: putting that ƒ°©K¡[email protected] ball in the net...

Until today, I thought that Halsey was one of the few decent refs in the PL. Since today, I count him very much in the list of the refs on Ferguson's paylist...

It's now a difficult decision for BR. The team has been magnificent, but if we continue to play with two midfielders only, it could become difficult. I expect Henderson to come on, at the expense of one of the three forward players.

boogieonalice

TIA Regular
The league has to do something about the consistency of calls - compare Shelvey's red today to Luiz' tackle yesterday versus Stoke. I have no idea what is an unacceptable tackle in this league now.
well said. consistency consistency consistency. That's all we as fans really want. If officials are all cracking down on so/so tackles TOGETHER in EVERY MATCH, then fantastic. It pains me when my player is sent off, but if everyone is being judged by the same standards, so be it. Given football is a game of interpretation when it comes to the laws of the game, and each situation is completely different, varying on context, etc., officials have been however too extreme one way or the other. Shelvey's tackle was bad, yes, but he did win the ball completely (sans the trailing left foot). If Manu escaped so far in this match without at least 2 bookings, there is no way that Jonjo's tackle should be punished 2-degrees higher than the worst Manu tackle of the day...

RMP

TIA First Team
We were magnificent during that first half (even after Jonjo's undeserved red card) bar for that one, remaining weakness which has cursed us since so long: putting that ƒ°©K¡[email protected] ball in the net...

Until today, I thought that Halsey was one of the few decent refs in the PL. Since today, I count him very much in the list of the refs on Ferguson's paylist...

It's now a difficult decision for BR. The team has been magnificent, but if we continue to play with two midfielders only, it could become difficult. I expect Henderson to come on, at the expense one of the three forward players.
He made a mistake but I still wouldn't consider him on Fergie's paylist

NZred

The Red From NZ
A clear red, and that's been coming for Jonjo in his career. Needs to grow up. Fast.

Similar to West Brom here, we start well, then go a fuck it up and give ourselves a mountain to climb.

I would put Sahin on for Borini and go 4-3-2, with Suarez and Sterling as wide forwards with Gerrard pushing forward.
HOW is it a clear red? Shelvey went in with one foot, the other cames around AFTER the tackle. Evans goes in, two feet OFF the ground, studs showing and gets nothing. Please tell me for the love of God how that's a clear red for Shelvey?

zooz

TIA Youth Team
Brendan, FFS swap Suarez and Borini. The latter is not Thierry Henri and should be in the box feeding off the havoc that Luis can create.
Completely agree. We're crying for a striker, well put him IN the box!

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
God - how do we not score?!
Well you see, in football to score a goal you need to put the ball into the opposing teams net with some part of your body other than your hand or arm (unless you're of argentinian decent). The problem that liverpool fc has is that either a) the goal keeper (the opposing player who can use their hands) blocks the ball with some part of his body B) a defender from the opposing team blocks the ball with some part of their body other than their hands/arms c) the football hits the post or crossbar d) the shot is off target and goes out of bounds or e) the attacking team fails to create a scoring opportunity.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Yes, but that 'mistake' came so handily and at such a timely moment for the mancs, don't you think? That makes one reflect...

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress

Good call. Will probably never happen though.

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Do what's right Brendan. Prevent them from scoring at all costs. Last thing we need is to open up and end up 0-3 and gift them the 3 points.

Defend in the middle and not allow them to organize. Get Hendo in for one of the front 3, and i we get a break or a dead ball, take advantage of it.

craigbellamy

Swinging away, hoping to land one on a motd idiot
http://www.feintzebra.co.uk/2012/the-jonjo-she'llvey-tackle-on-evans/

try this, sorry if link doesn't work. But phone is fooked.

just noticed that if you click on home page, it's there as well....

Gears

TIA Regular
I would kill for a win in this

The sending off has probably cost us not 1 but 3 points.

I just feel like every game these days has atleast one big moment against us. It's getting very very tiring
It's still 0-0 right now isn't it?

To be fair, I don't think Shelvey/Suarez were linking that well together anyway, which is why he was going hard on challenges to spend that energy. If anything, this will open up the passing lanes between allen ==> borini, sterling ==> suarez

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I agree I don't think he knew what to do, sadly he should have erred on the side of caution I actually think its the linesman that gets him sent off or the fourth official, anyhow the bonus is most of the team did not play on Thursday so fatigue may even the playing field as the half goes on maybe we need to be compact and unpretty until then

Status
Not open for further replies.