• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

IN Match: West Brom (a) League Cup (Weds 26.09.12)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt

Poor Scouser Tommy
Admin
League Cup (Capital One) Third Round

West Brom away

Opportunity for the youngsters again?

1dragon

TIA Regular
I would prefer our first team (bar maybe Gerrard, Johnson) to get a run out in this. West Brom is decent opposition now, and we have not yet perfected our system. With injuries already disrupting our regular XI, it is imperative to build up some form of understanding between our team mates sooner rather than later. Furthermore, our boys will have a point to prove against West Brom having lost 3-0 in the league.

I will go with:

Reina​
Wisdom-Skrtel-Coates-Enrique​
Allen​
Sahin-Suso​
Suarez-Yesil-Assaidi​

Sterling, Gerrard and Johnson should be on the bench for this one as precaution.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
(...)

[font=Helvetica Neue'][background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]It has to. We need a win at Norwich next week-end, we need it much more than anything else, and that will be more easily achieved with fresh legs and some good training during the week. Let the youngsters get more experience, they behaved themselves very well against YB last week, there is no reason why they shouldn't be trusted again.

Anyway, the league cup is a good competition but really, as things have panned out in the early season, with an already paper-thin squad, horrible long-term injuries to key players, and with several youngsters already involved in PL games, perhaps it's not really worth to care too much about it now...

My squad would be:[/background]
[/font]

Pacheco Morgan Assaidi​

Sahin Henderson Suso​

Robinson Coates Skrtel Wisdom​

Reina​

Bench: Jones, Carra, Flanagan, Allen, Gerrard, Suarez, Yesil

Maybe not a strong enough starting squad to beat West Brom nowadays, but I really don't care too much this time... the Norwich game is a make-or-break fixture, not this one.

Matt

Poor Scouser Tommy
Admin
I'll take a stab at a team, not quite as wholesale as Young Boys but plenty of changes for me.

Jones
Wisdom Carra Coates Enrique
Henderson Sahin Suso
Downing Morgan Assaidi

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I'd play the same side as against Young Boys, though put Suarez on the bench instead of Borini or even play Yesil? I would also play Sahin til around the 70 min we need him for Norwich, unless he goes with Suso in that role?

Upstate_Chad

TIA Youth Team
With all the injuries on Sunday, I fully expect that BR will run out a squad composed primarily of youth. Also, given that West Brom are a strong, physical club, its the perfect game for Carra.

------------Reina
Wisdom--Carra--Coates--Enrique
-------Henderson--Allen
--------------Suso
Downing---Suarez--Assaidi

Subs: Jones, Robinson, Flanagan, Yesil, Pacheco, Cole, Sterling

Suarez after 45.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
I would prefer our first team (bar maybe Gerrard, Johnson) to get a run out in this. West Brom is decent opposition now, and we have not yet perfected our system. With injuries already disrupting our regular XI, it is imperative to build up some form of understanding between our team mates sooner rather than later. Furthermore, our boys will have a point to prove against West Brom having lost 3-0 in the league.

I will go with:

Reina​
Allen​
Sahin-Suso​
Suarez-Yesil-Assaidi​

Sterling, Gerrard and Johnson should be on the bench for this one as precaution.

Absolutely agree with what you say and your side. Would like to see Yesil get a game. Need to build understanding and choose most of our strongest side to speed up our development and play the style and tactics that Brendan wants.

Digary

.................Reina
Wisdom.Carra.Coates.Robinson
....Henderson..Sahin/Allen
.................Suso
Downing...Yesil...Assaidi

Sahin and Allen to play a half each. Would also look to give Assaidi 60-65 minutes as I see him as the one who should replace Borini on Saturday.
Honestly the CC win was nice last year but it is just not an important competition. Use it to blood the youngsters and if you want to focus on a cup run then look to the FA cup as it is a much more important trophy.

Kennysgoldenass

Lovrens in the air.
The way the injuries are piling up we will need to give our players in these midweek Cup games rusks at half-time.
The only option is playing the youngsters.
The squad is too bare to risk any injuries in the League Cup.
Would like to see Wisdom again and NGoo given a go up front. As Suso only played 45mins he can play to give a front three of him,NGoo and Assiadi.
Midfield of Hendo, Downing and Sahin.
Defence - Wisdom,Carra,Coates and Enrique/Robinson.
Would be an interesting line up against an in form side, (presuming they play a full strength side).

Predict a wee confidence boosting win..

OhYaBeauty

Is it bad that I want us to either play our reserve team or just lose on purpose? We don't have the squad depth to compete here and if we're playing youngsters I'd rather they play in the Europa league.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
.................Reina
Wisdom.Carra.Coates.Robinson
....Henderson..Sahin/Allen
.................Suso
Downing...Yesil...Assaidi

Sahin and Allen to play a half each. Would also look to give Assaidi 60-65 minutes as I see him as the one who should replace Borini on Saturday.
Honestly the CC win was nice last year but it is just not an important competition. Use it to blood the youngsters and if you want to focus on a cup run then look to the FA cup as it is a much more important trophy.
Plus the FA Cup gets you into Europe, the League Cup gets you into about the 3rd qualifying round

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
Well we really kind of have to play youth. The only player in question really would be Glen, Suarez, Allen and Gerrard, and I think that the first 3 should play. We already have to fill Agger, Kelly, Shelvey and Borini’s position with youth in upcoming matches and they need to start developing an understanding. I’d like to see a midfield of Henderson, Allen, and Sahin (this greatly excites me). With Stering, Suarez and Suso or Ngoo as a front three.

TippRed

TIA Youth Team
League Cup (Capital One) Third Round

West Brom away

I'm not sure we can say rest the first team players and give the youngsters a chance at the moment because our youngsters have almost become out first team. :)
Exciting but scarey times.
I just pray BR is given the time and the financial backing by both FSG and the fans to implement success.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
Will Jonjo be suspended for the league cup, or is that only PL games? If not , give him a game because he will be sitting out the next few anyway.
Jones​
Wisdom Carra Coates Enrique​
Hendo Sahin​
Shelvey​
Assaidi Yesil/Morgan Suso​

Whoever starts between Yesil and Morgan, bring the other one on for the last 20/30 minutes, and stash some of the big guns on the bench if they are needed. If Shelvey can't go, play Suso behind the front 3 and give Pacheco a chance.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Will Jonjo be suspended for the league cup, or is that only PL games?
All domestic, so if it is three, WBA counts as the first. He will presumably be playing in the EL game next week, because he would miss the next 2 PL fixtures.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
I reckon it will be a carbon copy of the young boys squad, we should sack off the cut price cup imo, FA Cup & The League with a good European run is what we should be aiming for.

Le_hunt

Agger's knuckles
no choice but to play the "young boys" (play on words intended) here.

looks very much like the Stoke game we had at the beginning of last season, a few days after the league game in my mind. like some sick second chance fate gives us.

I'd like us to turn this around much like we did one year ago, but our squad is so threadbare now that I could'nt be bothered if we don't make it past them once again.

Yesil, Morgan, Suso and Pacheco have to get a look in.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
Unfortunately West Brom are not Young Boys and will probably send us crashing out of the Carling Cup which wouldn't bother me that much in the current circumstances if it weren't for the implications of a possible loss.

I'm afraid that another failure will affect us mentally in the must win game against Norwich.

This game couldn't have come at a worse time.

Archer

TIA First Team
Jones
Wisdom-Carra-Coates-Enrique - coates and enrique in particular need to sharpen up for first team prem action that they are innevitably about to get.

Sahin Henderson Suso - Reward suso for looking good v man utd, henderson did well v young boys, sahin needs to be a big player for us and this is where to get him some minutes

Assaidi Yesil Downing....I don't like playing downing but hey. Assaidi needs the minutes. Yesil...manager will know best, but i'm on the band wagon for this guy - just throw him in, see if he can replicate his goal scoring at top level.

Dhoff3

TIA Squad Member
I'm okay starting with a weaker squad, but I think we should, and probably will be bringing in the likes of Suarez, Sterling and Gerrard at halftime. We very well may loose this one, not an easy game for us and another loss will really bring our moral even further down. We need to win this one. come on.

Dhoff3

TIA Squad Member
Sadly, for all of us stateside, doesn't look like this is being televised at all over here.

Spitfire

Resident Realist
I would prefer our first team (bar maybe Gerrard, Johnson) to get a run out in this. West Brom is decent opposition now, and we have not yewt perfected our system. With injuries already disrupting our regular XI, it is imperative to build up some form of understanding between our team mates sooner rather than later. Furthermore, our boys will have a point to prove against West Brom having lost 3-0 in the league.

I will go with:

Reina​
Allen​
Sahin-Suso​
Suarez-Yesil-Assaidi​

Honestly i dont think we should be risking anyone we dont need to. Skrtel, suarez, allen, should all be given the night off to. Points in the league are what matters most right now, enrique i understand hasnt had much game time, same with sahin etc.

LFCLV

TIA Youth Team
Goals will be leaking with Carra on pitch. I don't expect much :(

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Sadly, for all of us stateside, doesn't look like this is being televised at all over here.
beIN has bought the broadcast rights but has really not developed a capacity to show them in North America. It is exasperating, they have La Liga, Ligue Un, Serie A and a ton of the cups....and no cable distribution deals to speak of, not even the right to sell in Canada.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
-----------------Reina------------------
Wisdom Carra Coates Robinson
------------Sahin-Henderson-------
-----------------Suso-------------------
-----Downing Yesil Assaidi--------

That's what I'd play, and I think the weak links are Downing and Carraghers, which is amazing considering the age of the squad.

Don't want Sterling anywhere near this. We are going to burn the kid out if we're not careful. I wouldn't mind seeing him used as an impact sub in the next few league games.

Play Suso here, and if he does the business then we should see more of him in the first team. I think he is going to be an absolutely cracking player.

Robinson should also be told that a good performance here will get him first team games. I'd love to see him get starts against the lesser sides we've got coming up.

OhYaBeauty

Agree with pretty much all of Mascot's post. That's still a decent team without tiring out our key players.

I would try to get Sahin or Hendo off the pitch before an hour so they're fresh for Norwich. One of them will start unless Rodgers does something crazy and gives Suso a go.

The RCB and RWB positions are up for grabs, I think between Wisdom and Carra and then between Wisdom, Flanagan, and McLaughlin but I think that Flanagan should be the first to get a chance. We need to see what the lad can do.

Hope to see Morgan and/or Ngoo on the bench to come on in the second half

Dhoff3

TIA Squad Member
beIN has bought the broadcast rights but has really not developed a capacity to show them in North America. It is exasperating, they have La Liga, Ligue Un, Serie A and a ton of the cups....and no cable distribution deals to speak of, not even the right to sell in Canada.
Ahhh, thanks for that info, so I imagine we can't really expect to see any League cup games. Bummer. Hopefully we'll have some decent streams.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Not going to attempt naming the team. A lot depends on how bad the injuries are but if they are all out for a while then we need to keep Enrique and Sahin out of this game, rushing them back will tempt fate and we can't afford an injury to them. We have enough youngsters to cover even if it mean bringing in Coady etc as well.

I don't care if we go out of this competition, in fact it may benefit us later on down the line but the media will have a field day if we go out of this as well, not to mention the confidence problems we already have getting worse. There will probably be some fans calling for heads if we go out while fielding a weaker side. For me, even though i want us out of this i suppose a win is more important for the team, just please god no more injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.