• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

IN Match: West Brom (a) League Cup (Weds 26.09.12)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
the fact it took a few mins for a break in play after he played advantage may have altered his mind, such is the frailty oliver's grey matter
My thoughts excatly. If it had gone out of play quicker I think it would have been yellow for the tackle.

TheKaiser

Banned Users
Not a bad half. In the first 5 minutes I thought Lukaku was going to score 3 and they would beat us 5-0, but we played great after the shaky start. Hopefully we can keep it up. Is Pacheco playing as part of the midfield 3? BR doesn't seem to know what to do with him.
I think he wanted to use him as a false nine against Young Boys but he ended up isolated more than he did linking up play. I think he's in his most natural position right now, although I haven't been able to see much of the first half so I don't know how he's done there.

snape

TIA Youth Team
Yesil's link up play is very good for a player his age. Too early to judge his finishing as he only had one opportunity. It was a very good one though and he should probably have scored.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
The idiotic thing is he won't even receive a retrospective ban for that tackle because the ref judged it on the field. :rolleyes:
The ref should get a ban then, but I'm not holding my breath :D

Doesn't FA have a disciplin-panel or something to take up cases like this?

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
Very good first half. Absolutely no signs of panic after Jones' howler. Sahin and Assaidi have been brilliant. Yesil also quite good; pity he didn't bury his header. Apart from their manbeast up front I don't see too many threats from West Brom.

Once again we find ourselves at the wrong end of some very strange decisions from the referee, but thankfully none have resulted in a goal against.

Personally I'd be temped to replace Downing with Sterling or Suso, but I guess it's good to have some experience out there.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
After that horrendous initial start (memorable blunder from Jones, but also one or two individual errors before that), I think this young team recovered well and showed some good football. Some players are looking a bit rusty, or not accustomed to the pace and physicality of that game, but there are many positives to take from this first half.

- Assaidi has been excellent I think, always ready to try things, and he offers lots of pace down his left wing.
- Pacheco is another one to do really well in poking the ball around, and made some good defensive interventions as well, which is good to see.
- Sahin and Henderson look quite solid and obviously, it's good to have a central midfielder able to make the decision on a long shot. I can't remember to have had such a player in the team since Hamann and then Alonso left.
- Yesil looks like he'll need a bit of time to adapt, but he has a wonderful first touch, and looks quite solid physically. Lacks a bit of presence in front of goal though.
- Wisdom, although he made some errors due to inexperience, looks a really good player in the making, and it's good to see Robinson getting some playing time again.

Another thought: Mulumbu's tackle on Henderson deserved the red card.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Download nothing. The adds are clever these days. Some you have to look for the smallest X you can imagine. Some you have to wait for 30 seconds then find the small X. DO NOT Donload ANYTHING THOUGH.
yeah - wise tpo that one. I usually hover over any x, and you can see if it's going to take you to a link or run some java script.

it's taken me 45min, but I think I've got a good stream now.

The tackle on Henderson was fucking shocking, and I expect Shelvey in particular is shaking his head at that one. Wisdom too. I don't know whether referees are just shit, or if we're just not liked.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
Good time for the break, it was getting a bit scrappy and we don't have the players to really play that game-- a concern?

The young players are playing Rodgers' game much better than the senior side, which bodes very, very well for the future if we can use our huge opportunity to bring a relatively large number of them through: Sterling, Suso, Wisdom, Robinson, Yesil, Pacheco. If all/most of them by the end of the season can be challening for a starting XI spot or at least pushing from the bench, our year will have an unprecedented success regardless of league performance. Assaidi/Shelvey coming along and the glimmer of hope with respect to signing Sahin could make our striker problems seem completely worth it (especially if Borini settles as I think he will).

We need Wilson to step up or do delve into the market for another 4th choice centre-back. Carragher has moments where he organises well and he can still head a ball, but after this season his position is no longer tenable. Coates is coming along nicely. Wisdom could perhaps also make the step up as many see his natural position as centre-back?

We also need to find a very, very good backup to Reina. Not an older player who is a stop-gap, but a true replacement for Reina who will push him from the bench. Sadly to say, Jones is too inconsistent and we need to prepare for the future. ter Stegen would be a dream.

I'm really excited for what we can be building from at the end of this season, which is far more than I could ever have said in the last two years. We will be able to focus very specifically in the market to solve our deficiencies, rather than spreading the money thin to change most of the side.

Games like this give me such hope. YNWA.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
My thoughts excatly. If it had gone out of play quicker I think it would have been yellow for the tackle.
building on my current complaint, we should have had a player in the referees ear solidly complaining about what an awful tackle it was. Thats how utd do it.

steveo72

TIA Youth Team
I actually think Hendo has been doing well. I've seen him a few times seem to want to pass the ball back but force that bit of confidence to pass it forward (even if -ish). Downing however.....just never seems to pick any final ball, easy or not, that's worth a damn at all.

cuaght a stream 20 mins in and from there at least WBA has done next to nothing except the end there.

tackle against Hendo -- effin red, yellow at the least what was he even thinking the ball was passed 1-2 sec before he cleeted him.

Wisdom, got the ball clearly. A foul maybe at most. A yellow, no way. Damn reffing. Trying to let it all glaze over but pretty obvious calls there no? Like the replacement refs in the USA NFL...if you UK guys haven't heard about it yet, check it out, it is ridiculous how bad they are.

Anyway, besides that crap, boys are doing well, I am enjoying it. Cheers.

Dhoff3

TIA Squad Member
Had Hendo gone down and hammed it up, like Evans, that'd have been a whistle and a straight red which is what it deserved, decent half though. Looks like we're a minute away from 2nd half start.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
This is the game I've enjoyed most so far this season, aside from the early fuck up - you can really see the managers stamp on the style. Slowly we're getting there, great news and so hopeful for the rest of the season

ShadesOfRed

TIA Youth Team
Good grief.... not another injury?!

Phew.. haha... every time a player goes down these days I fear the worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.