• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

IN Match: West Brom (a) League Cup (Weds 26.09.12)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Re-confidence: the worst scenario would be to play the senior players, and still lose the game, or even worse, go into extra time (or is there a replay after 90 minutes?). Even if they can win that game, they'll likely be tired when playing Norwich, thus handicapped.

That's why I'm very much for playing the youngsters. If they lose, it won't have too much of a down-effect on the main players, who will have to get that all-important victory against Norwich three days later... but they can also win like they did against YB, or at least show a good performance. That will give a boost to the whole of the squad.

No-brainer for me.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Re-confidence: the worst scenario would be to play the senior players, and still lose the game, or even worse, go into extra time (or is there a replay after 90 minutes?). Even if they can win that game, they'll likely be tired when playing Norwich, thus handicapped.
Single leg until the semis,

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Cheers mate. So, it's extra time and penalties then. One reason more to not play the first team for this one.
Ironically, I though the striker issue would bring us to this at some point, did not expect it this early and mainly because of defenders. Unfortunate draw given the possible range and the number of players who could use a run out, but only at some positions.

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
If our only route to next season's EL is via the Cups, I say we must go for this one. The FA Cup and the EL itself are much more difficult to win than the Capital 1 Cup.

I agree with the approach though, to rest Martin, Stevie and Luis and inject either one or both Stevie and Luis, if we need them to finish the game off after 75 minutes. This way, if ET and/or PK's are needed they'd would play a maximum of 45 minutes each.

Pepe definitely needs a clean sheet, if nothing else, for his confidence, so I hope he plays.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Pretty hard to name a team for this,a threadbare squad and Norwich 3 days later.

Certainly expect to see a lot of the kids out there at some part, Wisdom is certainly entitled to expect a start as is Suso.

It is probably earlier than what I'd have liked but think Yesil will be given a run.

Hendo in the middle and although I'm apprehensive I expect Carra and Downing to start, leaving me with:

Reina (he has to come good soon)

Wisdom Carra Coates Robinson
Sahin Hendo Suso
Downing Yesil Assaidi

alphakilo

TIA Regular
I think it'll be the same team as last time, except Yesil may start ahead of Pacheco.

Copycat

I think it'll be the same team as last time, except Yesil may start ahead of Pacheco.
I agree. That would make it:

.........................Jones
....Wisdom......Carra........Coates.......Enrique
.........Henderson......Sahin.........Suso
.........Downing..........Yesil.........Assaidi

Enrique tweeted yesterday that he was having a scan this week. Apparently he is still recovering from some kind of injury so I'm not sure if he should be rested or given a full 90-minute game. We'll just have to wait and see.

Henderson was great in the game against Young Boys. I think he should definitely start tomorrow.

Sahin has so far been reliable but a bit slow and not very creative going forward. He needs more games for sure. Same goes for Suso.

Perhaps Pacheco instead of Downing in his preferred wide position?
Or maybe Downing has something prove now that he was left out of Sunday's squad...

Joe Cole might feature in this game at some point. You never know. At least he should be recovered by now.

Perhaps either Morgan or Ngoo should be looked at too? Any of those three forwards could be given a chance. Personally I would like to see Yesil in this match.

So it could be something like this:

.................................................Jones
.....................Wisdom......Carra........Coates.......Enrique/Robinson
.................................Henderson......Sahin.........Suso
.........Downing/Pacheco..........Morgan/Ngoo/Yesil.........Assaidi/Cole

costared

TIA Reserve Team
I think Pacheco deserves a game before Downing.He was totally out of position last time but had performed well for the U21's at Chelsea. Downing has done very little since he signed. Doubt if Joe Cole is fit enough yet but Brendan did say he wants to get some games under his belt. I think he meant away from the first team but could be a case of" needs must."

Muad

TIA New Signing
I was watching the Manure game with a bunch of friends all of whom support different clubs. They were all really impressed with Suso. I'm not saying that's a selection criteria but it just shows that he's one youth player who hasn't been overhyped.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Don't want Carra anywhere near the starting eleven. If he plays we will lose, he is sadly a liability nowadays, full of errors and his lack of pace will leave us exposed and playing too deeply.

Just where has Danny Wilson disappeared to? I would play him ahead of Carra, he doesn't seem to have been given a chance but he is class.Wanna see him given a chance in the centre alongside Coates.

Liverpaul_FC

TIA Reserve Team
[background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]

----------------------Reina-------------------------
--Wisdom-----Carra----Coates--------Enrique--
-----------------------Allen--------------------------
-------------Sahin-----------Hendo-----------------
--Downing----------Morgan------------Assaidi--[/background]

Subs: Jones, Skrtel, Johnson, Suso, Cole, Pacheco, Suarez

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
I'll take a stab at a team, not quite as wholesale as Young Boys but plenty of changes for me.

Jones
Wisdom Carra Coates Enrique
Henderson Sahin Suso
Downing Morgan Assaidi
I'd go with this. As slow as Carra is these days we need to protect Skrtel now that Agger's out. It's absolutely imperative that we beat Norwich. Being in the relegation zone is just making me ill! So, for the sake of my health we should rest all of the usual first team choices. Except Enrique, of course, who needs the game time. If only to find out if he has lost it or not.

!DALGLISH!

The way the injuries are piling up we will need to give our players in these midweek Cup games rusks at half-time.
The only option is playing the youngsters.
The squad is too bare to risk any injuries in the League Cup.
Would like to see Wisdom again and NGoo given a go up front. As Suso only played 45mins he can play to give a front three of him,NGoo and Assiadi.
Midfield of Hendo, Downing and Sahin.
Defence - Wisdom,Carra,Coates and Enrique/Robinson.
Would be an interesting line up against an in form side, (presuming they play a full strength side).

Predict a wee confidence boosting win..
I agree, no point risking too many you need to start on Sat.

Jones​

Wisdom..........Carragher.....Coates........Enrique​

Sahin..............Henderson​

Suso​

Downing................................Assaidi​

Yesil

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
I'd actually want to see Rodgers give Coates and Skrtel a go in a less important game before a Prem game. Martin Skrtel can handle playing 2 games in 3 days, once in a while. I'd have Enrique or Robinson at LB, Wisdom at RB(where is Flano?), Henderson, Sahin and Adorjan in CM with Downing on the right, Assaidi on the left and I guess Yesil in the middle with Ngoo on the bench.

daddydave

TIA Youth Team
-------------------reina------------------
Johnson-skrtel-Coates-Enrique
-------------Henderson--------------
-------sahin----------suso-----------
Sterling-------yesil----------assaidi

Doggie

Resident Optimist
I think Flanners should start at right back - Wisdom is a centre half after all, and hopefully the future will be him and Coates.

[font=Helvetica Neue'][background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]----------------------Jones-------------------------
--Flannagan-----Wisdom----Coates--------Robinson--
-----------------------Sahin--------------------------
-------------Hendo-----------Suso-----------------
--Yesil----------Morgan------------Assaidi--[/background]
[/font]

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
We are Liverpool we go out to win every game haven't seen anything from Rodgers to suggest anything else. Even when we have called up youngsters to ring the changes if anything we have been even more fired up and determined to get the win. Good job too because absolutely no chance (poor run of form/mini injury crisis ravaging thin squad) is Rodgers going to risk anybody he plans to use for the Norwich game. Just won't simple as that. The experienced players may be on the bench in case smething smelly hits the fan but they won't start he wont take the risk. Not too confident on what either team will be as Rodgers is great at keeping us guessing but I think Norwich 11 will be: Reina; Johnson, Skrtel, Coates, Enrique; Allen, Sahin, Gerrard; Sterling, Assaidi, Suarez. That leaves a few really good options still for tomorrow though (P.S. Pacheco and Suso have hinted they will be involved on Twitter and I expect both to start):

Jones/Gulacsi can't predict who will get nod in goal.

Think Carragher will captain again with Robinson and Wisdom getting spots too. Sama, Wilson, Flanagan and McLoughlin will compete for the other speck in the back 4.

Henderson and Suso will be 2 of the middle 3 with the other being either Cole (if fit) or one of Adrojan or Coady depending on tactics.

Front three think Downing and Pacheco will be in there can't predict other member probably Yesil but Ngoo and Morgan both in with a shout.

LFCLV

TIA Youth Team
Morgan did not impress me at all the last time he was on the pitch. Nothing spectacular. Would love to see Yesil

YaNi

TIA Youth Team
.................................................Jones
.....................Wisdom......Carra........Coates.......Enrique/Robinson
.................................Henderson......Sahin.........Suso
.........Downing/Pacheco..........Morgan/Ngoo/Yesil.........Assaidi/Cole
I agree with this lineup. We should NOT be playing anyone that would seriously impact our league performances if they were to get injured. If BR played Suarez, Gerrard, Allen, etc. and they were to get injured there would be people calling for his head. With our serious goal drought and lack of attacking options it would be devastating if Suarez got injured or even suspended. Were digging pretty deep into the youth academy as it is.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I can't find any TV coverage. Is it dodgy streams for this one?

Off_The_Heezay

TIA Youth Team
I'm surprised no-one has suggested Shelvey for this game? He only played 40 mins on Sunday and he'll be unavailable next week.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
I'd actually want to see Rodgers give Coates and Skrtel a go in a less important game before a Prem game. Martin Skrtel can handle playing 2 games in 3 days, once in a while. I'd have Enrique or Robinson at LB, Wisdom at RB(where is Flano?), Henderson, Sahin and Adorjan in CM with Downing on the right, Assaidi on the left and I guess Yesil in the middle with Ngoo on the bench.
He's injured.

mpoletti

Bearded Rumour Mill Regista
This is the rumored team I've seen a few times today:

Jones​
Wisdom Carra Wilson Robinson​
Assaidi Sahin Hendo​
Downing Pacheco Yesil​

TippRed

TIA Youth Team
Want to win of course. But hand on heart if we went out i wouldnt be overly dissapointed. A squad which isnt robust enough for 1 competition yet were still in 4.

alphakilo

TIA Regular
This is the rumored team I've seen a few times today:

Jones​
Wisdom Carra Wilson Robinson​
Assaidi Sahin Hendo​
Downing Pacheco Yesil​
That would make sense, assuming that Suso takes Borini's spot on Saturday, Enrique takes Kelly's, Coates takes Agger's.

Pretty sure we'd have Assaidi on the left and Yesil up front in that case though.

TheKaiser

Banned Users
That would make sense, assuming that Suso takes Borini's spot on Saturday, Enrique takes Kelly's, Coates takes Agger's.

Pretty sure we'd have Assaidi on the left and Yesil up front in that case though.
Yeah that's a bizarre lineup in the sense that Assaidi is definitely not a CM and Yesil is much more of a CF than Pacheco. I do think that's something similar to what we'll see, although I wouldn't be surprised if we were to see some sort of involvement from Adorjan as he's been excellent this season for the reserves and is probably the next to make the step up.

After his anonymous turn up top last week, I wouldn't expect Pacheco to start centrally, although if you swap Pacheco and Yesil in that lineup that could be what we see. Morgan has said on Twitter that he's traveling, so personally I'd expect him ahead of Yesil to start. Downing should start, although I'm not sure how much we'll get out of him anymore since by now he can see the writing on the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.