• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

IN Match: West Brom (a) League Cup (Weds 26.09.12)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liverpaul_FC

TIA Reserve Team

West Brom face injury crisis ahead of Liverpool clash

The West Midlands club are without the suspended Peter Odemwingie ahead of their Capital One Cup clash against the Reds, and Keith Downing claims eight more could also miss out

25 Sep 2012 21:22:00

By Joe Krishnan

West Brom face a selection headache ahead of their League Cup clash against Liverpool on Wednesday, with assistant manager Keith Downing claiming up to nine players could be out of the game.

In addition to Nigerian international Peter Odemwingie serving the second of his three-game suspension, Baggies boss Steve Clarke also has a long list of injury doubts including Steven Reid and James Morrison, who are both struggling with hamstring injuries.

Downing is concerned the lack of reinforcements could harm his side's chances of overcoming the competition holders Liverpool at the Hawthorns, and admits some of the club's younger players could deputise.

“We’ve got nine players out at the moment, including Peter Odemwingie,” Downing told the club's official website.

“That’s obviously going to have some effect on our selection. We’re hopeful one or two who are 50/50 for tomorrow will come through.

"James Morrison came off with a hamstring strain on Saturday, so he is doubtful. Steven Reid and Goran Popov are among the nine players as well. We’ll check on one or two players tomorrow.

"But if there is an element of doubt over any player I think they won’t play.”

Downing has also hinted that summer signings Markus Rosenberg and Yassine Al Ghanassy could get their first taste of first-team action since joining the club, but admits they need time to adapt.

“With Yassine it’s just about acclimatising to the British game," he added. "He has that ability with the ball but he just needs to learn about the other side of the game.

“Although he’ll be chomping at the bit to play it’s important he takes these two or three months just to learn about the game.

“Markus is one who brings international experience and he’s another one we’re optimistic about. Hopefully, he’ll get some part of it tomorrow.

“George Thorne, Scott Allan and Saido Berahino, and James Hurst, who has a little knock, are all likely to be involved in the squad."

http://www.goal.com/...ce=breakingnews

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
I wasn't aware that they have recruited Rosenberg. That will be one to follow. He can be dangerous when on song...

RMP

TIA First Team
I wont be watching this match so if we win you'll know who thank ;)

kylel39

Never bite the hand that feed's you.......Luis
So based on the report in the echo, maybe:

Jones​
Wisdom Carra Sama Robinson​
Suso Henderson Sahin​
Downing Yesil Assaidi​

Subs: Gulacsi, Sinclair, Coates, Sterling, Wilson, Pacheco, Adorjan
That team looks pretty good to me although I'd probably be looking to see Morgan & Ngoo on the bench. Certainly Ngoo as he's more suited to a 4-3-3 than Morgan is at the minute IMO.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
if there is one good thing playing the young kids, tacticly speaking, is the fact that clarke doesn't know them that good.
he pretty much has all the senior players number.

i can guarantee his telling lukaku, stay close to Carra, you'll either out run / out muscle him, or he'll bring you to the ground.

1988greatestteam

Wishing for number 6
Anybody else starting to feel more comfortable the more youth players we have on the pitch and the less amount of senior players the better? Don't know if that says a lot about how great our academy is doing or how bad our senior side is these days. One things for sure if you look at only at players over 25 we have an extremely small squad but I love the look of our squad when you look at 25 and under. If we can get through this difficult start to this season we should have fantastic future. In regards to this game, King Kenny lost his job because he didn't do well enough in the league despite winning this competition. Anybody really believe Rodgers will take risks?
I just think we feel more comfortable because we are less expectant of them. There is great freedom with youth, as if this colossal burden of no league win will be lifted if only for short time, regardless of the result. I find it liberating and enjoyable .

mpoletti

Bearded Rumour Mill Regista
The traveling of players like Sama and Sinclair for this match is exactly what many fans have been crying out for. It may be due to neccesity of not having a deep squad, but I can really appreciate the ethos of if they are good enough, then then are old enough. Sama has made huge strides at the reserve level over the last year and even in preseason. Hats off to Brendan to walking the talk.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
The traveling of players like Sama and Sinclair for this match is exactly what many fans have been crying out for. It may be due to neccesity of not having a deep squad, but I can really appreciate the ethos of if they are good enough, then then are old enough. Sama has made huge strides at the reserve level over the last year and even in preseason. Hats off to Brendan to walking the talk.
Even if the squad was injury free or not 'bare' like everyone says it is, I still think Brendan would play the youth in this and the Europa League. It's going to be really great to see kids grow like this in front of our eyes. It's kind of like what Wenger has done over the years.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
The really remarkable point to me is that absolutely no one seems to think that Sterling should be included in this squad. He has already moved out of the cohort of players most would consider for a Cup tie.

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
beIN has bought the broadcast rights but has really not developed a capacity to show them in North America. It is exasperating, they have La Liga, Ligue Un, Serie A and a ton of the cups....and no cable distribution deals to speak of, not even the right to sell in Canada.
The only positive of this is that I will be able to work during the afternoon (instead of blocking out my calendar as "personal/private")
The negative of course is that we will win 5-0 and I'll miss it.

Dhoff3

TIA Squad Member
Tony Barrett really thinks alot of Sinclair.
I only know that name but I heard Tony Barrett said he'll play for Barca one day. If he does play he'll become the new youngest player ever to feature for the first team. Sounds exciting.

D.hughes

TIA Youth Team
ummm..... looks like we are going to select a new starting Xl again? priorities are the league then? Kenny took this serious last season and we won it. city,chelsea played strong sides last nite. i excpect arsenal,spurs to follow tonight. Why should we disrespect this comp by fielding no regular starters like suarez/reina etc who need confidence at this moment?

could be our only decent chance of silverwere this season. At the end of the day 5 games in (prem) with our strongest eleven who have played 1 game a week and were 3rd bottom without a win. wouldnt a good cup run,win bring us confidence for the league?

heavy loss tonight 3-1

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
ummm..... looks like we are going to select a new starting Xl again? priorities are the league then? Kenny took this serious last season and we won it. city,chelsea played strong sides last nite. i excpect arsenal,spurs to follow tonight. Why should we disrespect this comp by fielding no regular starters like suarez/reina etc who need confidence at this moment?

could be our only decent chance of silverwere this season. At the end of the day 5 games in (prem) with our strongest eleven who have played 1 game a week and were 3rd bottom without a win. wouldnt a good cup run,win bring us confidence for the league?

heavy loss tonight 3-1
Not technically one followed a International week and one followed the Hearts game in which Rodgers has used as an example the reasons he is playing a weaker team. City, Chelsea and Arsenal all can field strong sides they have the depth we don't.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
I suspect we will field a strong side with pleanty of experience in there. The likes of Suarez, Johnson, Gerrard, Skrtel, Reina, Allen and Sterling will be benched meanwhile a great opportunity for others.

I see it being;

----------------Jones----------------
Wisdom, Carra, Coates, Enrique
------------Hendo---Sahin----------
-------------------Suso----------------
Downing-----Morgan/Yesil-----Assaidi.

That is strong enough to beat a weakend WBA side.

We have to win at Norwich on the weekend so I'd be delighted to see the above line up

RazvanLFC

I believe we clearly don`t have a squad able to compete in 4 different competitions. Not even until winter. And we already have 4 first team players injured. I think if Rodgers had players available he would take it serious because i don`t think he doesn`t want to win it. But in my opinion it`s not possible this season. Priority has the league for sure. :) I expect some players to sign for us in january because we have a very thin squad...

lukas

In search and wait mode
If its true, and I highly doubt the echo would report it if it wasnt, that Sinclair and Sama will be with the squad tonight It can only be a drawn as a positive even if it is down to necessity. With the EL campaign under way and our league results left wanting this comp should be given to the kids as to not endanger any player who might be near the first team.

One player whom could also play tonight and has been forgot by most is Joe Cole, even the media seem to of cast him no columns and Im sure I heard, on the Anfield wrap I think, that hes match fit.

I know we will have a good performance, like pretty much every game this year, I just hope we get a good win

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
If its true, and I highly doubt the echo would report it if it wasnt, that Sinclair and Sama will be with the squad tonight It can only be a drawn as a positive even if it is down to necessity. With the EL campaign under way and our league results left wanting this comp should be given to the kids as to not endanger any player who might be near the first team.

One player whom could also play tonight and has been forgot by most is Joe Cole, even the media seem to of cast him no columns and Im sure I heard, on the Anfield wrap I think, that hes match fit.

I know we will have a good performance, like pretty much every game this year, I just hope we get a good ured?
Isnt he inj

LFC7NH

I know we will have a good performance, like pretty much every game this year, I just hope we get a good win
According to Broomy's TIA off the ball thread Cole is still dealing with a hamstring injury. Back early October

ReRangles

heavy loss tonight 3-1
Because the league is more important. We haven't got the depth to attack on all fronts.

AnfieldCat

TIA Squad Member
I think he's got a new job, so we must get our own links and information of tables, timetables, etc. I'll miss him, he is one of the kindest person in this forum
Don't you think he'll come back on here? That would be a big shame. I'd miss him too. I'm the type of slacker who would put TIA before a job!

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
Looking forward to the match tonight, not concerned over the result. The league is of more importance, and this competition is the opportunity for Brendan to experiment. If this is half as entertaining as Thursday's game then I'll be satisfied!

Links for tonight's match:

http://www.footballstreaming.info/streams/todays-links/

Some Sopcast streams there, just hope they work!!!

lollysuarez

Don't you think he'll come back on here? That would be a big shame. I'd miss him too. I'm the type of slacker who would put TIA before a job!
I don't know, I don't twat-tweet, so I am not in touch with him, I used to look at his youtube interviews but he's not been doing those for a while.

Dhoff3

TIA Squad Member
Looking forward to the match tonight, not concerned over the result. The league is of more importance, and this competition is the opportunity for Brendan to experiment. If this is half as entertaining as Thursday's game then I'll be satisfied!

Links for tonight's match:

http://www.footballs...s/todays-links/

Some Sopcast streams there, just hope they work!!!
Hey thanks! I'm leaving work "sick" for this one. Looks like:

Jones, Wisdom, Carra, Coates, Robinson, Hendo, Sahin, Assaidi, Downing, Allen, Yesil

WrinkledMind

Living A Life Consumed By Slow Decay.
Big night for Wisdom(with Kelly's injury), Pacheco(I keep bringing him up) and Hendo(needs to build on his good last performance).

Status
Not open for further replies.