• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Indonesia XI - Pre-Season Friendly - Sat 20th July 14.30 KO BST

HarryFloyd

TIA First Team
liverpool_singh said:
Hot enough to stroll about with less than half the game gone? Arsenal played on the same pitch as well.
And 6 of their goals were scored in the second half...

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
liverpool_singh said:
I think I'll make the decision whether to watch it or not. It is 26 degrees at the moment. Hardly playing in blistering heat.
Not quite sure if you know how humid it is...

Alberto has looked good.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Viva la King Kenny said:
Downing is having a stinker even by Preseason standards... where there are basically no standards at all..
Agree with this, he's looked pretty poor. Mis-placed passes you can accept one every now and again but everything he's done has been a bit poor. Contrast to the Preston game - he wasn't too bad.

DeathOrGlory said:
Exactly...

Viva la King Kenny

TIA New Signing
DeathOrGlory said:

Alberto has looked good.
Humid or not... these preseason games are supposed to help fathom match fitness right? Well it kind of loses its purpose when everyone just loiters..

t34m43

Our set plays have been gash, nice to see we are not trying to break with tradition on some things. This game has been pedestrian so far, but I agree with other posters the heat, humidity and mole mound for a pitch is not making it easier.

mr mustard

TIA Reserve Team
Not sure how it is these days, but I remember during Rafa the players had a session in the gym before friendly matches. Pre-season is what it is.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Enrique's been pretty good so far. expect to see a lot of subs 2nd half, but would like to see Aspas get a full game so we can see what he can do. Think we may be relying on him a bit in the first few games of the season.

I'm sure the climate conditions have come as shock to some of the players, esp SG and Toure.

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
drab match, uninspiring. Pitch is poor compared to last week's but thus far its a tad boring. Having said that it's still a joy to be watching footy!

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Bit of a vanilla affair this one. Should still win this one with little bother though, this lot are gashola

But not sure I could stomach another 40 games of downing running 10 yards then passing it back or firing aimless cross shots 10 yards over the bar next season. Like I said, Vanilla as fuck

Bit short of pace and creativity. Though Coutinho again proved a cut above the mundane and when given time on the ball, which may be hard to come by in the PL, Alberto does know how to use it, unlucky not to score

Like to see sterling and Ibe feature in the second half. No spearing or Assaidi ta..

HarryFloyd said:
And 6 of their goals were scored in the second half...
Well let's hope we have a better performance in next half then because going by the 1st half you would think most of our players were conserving their energy for a 2nd half blitz.

Coutinho a bit fortunate with his goal but nice finish. Alberto had some good moments but also quite a few misplaced passes. Aspas encouraging as he seems to be the only player making a big effort. Mignolet with a great save. The rest of the players a bit peripheral.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Oh, I forgot to add that Downing is absolute crap, no matter how humid it is.

RichLFC said:
Bit of a vanilla affair this one. Should still win this one with little bother though, this lot are gashola

But not sure I could stomach another 40 games of downing running 10 yards then passing it back or firing aimless cross shots 10 yards over the bar next season. Like I said, Vanilla as fuck

Bit short of pace and creativity. Though Coutinho again proved a cut above the mundane and when given time on the ball, which may be hard to come by in the PL, Alberto does know how to use it, unlucky not to score

Like to see sterling and Ibe feature in the second half. No spearing or Assaidi ta..
Definitely do not want to see players who are looking likely to be on their way out. Hopefully Borini, Sterling, Ibe, Wisdom, Kelly, Hendo and Allen all get a run out.

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
This again proves to me that when Luis plays, so many (like Coutinho and Stevie) will get more of the ball. And create for Danny, etc. Our team without Luis is going to be a level below, than with him.

I also hope we get another striker in. Not sure about Aspas in the lonely role as he looks like he might be more of a 2nd.

Alberto should engage more on the ball too. Can't judge what role he'll play exactly. Any thoughts?

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
Usually how the pre season games in Asia tend to look this. Low tempo and a bit flat because of temperature and pitch conditions, I guess. Much more pedestrian than the Preston game, where we looked surprisingly sharp.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
LFC-Orlando said:
This again proves to me that when Luis plays, so many (like Coutinho and Stevie) will get more of the ball. And create for Danny, etc. Our team without Luis is going to be a level below, than with him.

I also hope we get another striker in. Not sure about Aspas in the lonely role as he looks like he might be more of a 2nd.

Alberto should engage more on the ball too. Can't judge what role he'll play exactly. Any thoughts?
I preferred him a bit deeper as he was against Preston, seems to get caught in possession a bit too much in that congested area.in front of the defence. BR has moved Coutinho to central now...assume this is why, Alberto out wide.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
This commentary...dear me

Anyone got a weird American and a weird American sounding German fella on their telly? Cheaper than a trip to Lidl

'Can't have a game without referees' is just one of many pearls of wisdom

'Whoops a daisy' lol

alphakilo

TIA Regular
Allen on for Gerrard and Robinson on for Enrique.

Thought it'd be an experimentation on switching from a 2-1 to a 1-2, but Coutinho seems to have switched with Alberto, meaning we're sticking with a 2-1.

EDIT: Scratch that. Experimentation seems to also be taking place with the midfield shape, the question being where Coutinho operates best.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
Aspas just missed an open goal. He rounded the keeper only to shank it wide! Very Downing like in his execution, maybe its contagious?

OhYaBeauty

Can anyone tell me why Downing stopped running there? If he keeps running, he's in for a through ball from Aspas. Just lazy and stupid.

hoosierred

Ad-free Member
Because Downing has rounded the keeper so many times in his LVP career?

Bad pitch contributed to it, but it was a pretty ugly shank. Loved his running to get in that position though.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
RichLFC said:
This commentary...dear me

Anyone got a weird American and a weird American sounding German fella on their telly? Cheaper than a trip to Lidl

'Can't have a game without referees' is just one of many pearls of wisdom

'Whoops a daisy' lol
Think ive got the same ones, did they say good pass from Allen to Stevie a few minutes after Allen actually replaced Stevie?

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
Nice shot from young Robinson.

to be honest I'll be glad when the match is over............

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
We need to find competition for Downing prefably some that make him realise that it is time to bugger off.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
This is pretty jaff. Not much quality

Looks like a mass sub fest now...

RedBaron

Curse you RedBaron!!!!
Did arsenal play in the same humidity or is ours a lot worse, because as a team so far, we are second class?
The fans and support however, are amazing.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
mattyhurst said:
Did Downing go off, and who hit the free kick? We already look more dangerous
Tbh I doubt we would notice either way. I really hope we aren't serious about keeping him but worries me that he's still starting games.

Haven't quite got used to Martin Kelly's mullet yet ;-)