• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Indonesia XI - Pre-Season Friendly - Sat 20th July 14.30 KO BST

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
DeathOrGlory said:
Please just feck off.

It's a friendly, unless a player got injured their ain't any negatives.
Oh shit this was a friendly? I'm sorry for having an opinion, so all his good, great performance, Downing was fucking fantastic and it was amazing watching Assaidi play. That better?

Anthony said:
Good runout, tough conditions. Ibe, Couti, Sterling all looked lively. Great to see Stevie back. Happy just to watch footy and see my team play.

All positive for me :)
Well yeah there were a few positives. My first game of the new season. Stevie's back. Toure and Mignolet were good. Ibe and Sterling were a breath of fresh air, provided pace and were threatening.

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
Taken for what it was, a commercial and fitness venture it was a success. Pitch was poor, and so was the game. First half I thought Enrique was our stand out player, which wasn't hard. Second half livened up with the introduction of the youngsters. Good to see Steve G back. Our set pieces were poor. Defending corners still a nightmare with our Belgian 'keeper having stern words with the defense. Another bonus was Martin Kelly gaining more pitch time, and I wonder if he'll join me - my hair is down to my waist, and I have a beard; will Martin join the beard club too!

Anyway, footy back and happy days!

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
So far taking everything into account it's okay, especially considering that they're admitting from the camp the fact that we train with more intensity this year than last season.

Struggled a bit in creating chances from the possession we had and then converting chances it should have been more.

The detail I noticed were the little chips over the opposition's defence often when we were left without great options just in front of the box or deeper. We tried it at least 6-7 times with the player on the far side coming inside and running in behind, it was clearly a move they practice on the training field.

Won't comment on our injury prone players while they're doing okay in their steady path to being fit, don't want to jinx them!

Enrique's bad decision making once he crosses the halfway line isn't a surprise, these kind of players make even more mistakes technically and offensively if they're not physically up to their level and we know that's his biggest strength.

Robinson looked pretty good in the second half, I can only wish him a full season of regular football in the Championship. It remains to be seen if maybe a left back solution is in Brendan's mind (the more I think about it, probably not + there are no real links, even the Cissokho one if it was even reliable now is more and more dead) once we solve that 1-2 signings for the first XI. Kelly so far looks like he might need a little more time than expected and I don't want us to rest too much in the thought that Johnson can easily jump on the left when needed. He can, but only 1 injury can make our defence look a lot different both defensively and offensively.

No surprises from Sterling and Ibe, it's expected from these kind of players to be fresh and do well in pre-season and at least in the opening parts, first months of the season. Expect both of them to stay at the club, Raheem as backup and Ibe being somewhere between the U21's and the senior squad here & there.

With Ibe, apart from the talent, Inglethorpe really had it spot on when he mentioned how humble he is. Physically he already looks miles ahead players of his age, and in comparison with Raheem, he does have better technique and touches when at pace + uses his left foot. Raheem is more like pushing the ball when running, saving a heavy touch here & there with his speed and agility. But it's nice to see him hungry again, trying different things and shooting on goal even though he should have passed to Borini today.

We won't be forced to use Raheem as much as we did at the start of last season so I expected him to be more useful for us longer as the season goes on.

Amateur Hour

OhYaBeauty, I could not agree more with that analysis excellent excellent post.

I know I liked it already, and I'm sorry this comment means nothing to the thread, but I needed to say it.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
OYB - are you going to keep with writing these match reviews once the season proper kicks off? Have to say, I've enjoyed both your preseason writeups so far.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Think Sterling and Ibe are going to be big players for us this season, not necessarily starting but they definitely will come on and change games

OhYaBeauty

Amateur Hour said:
OhYaBeauty, I could not agree more with that analysis excellent excellent post.

I know I liked it already, and I'm sorry this comment means nothing to the thread, but I needed to say it.
Yeah the post might not be completely necessary but I appreciated it anyways. Thanks bud.

Zinedine Biscan said:
OYB - are you going to keep with writing these match reviews once the season proper kicks off? Have to say, I've enjoyed both your preseason writeups so far.
I'll give it a bit of thought but I wasn't planning on it. It takes a bit of thought and I don't always have the time for it. I'll do the first few games I guess and see how it goes.

kopite1982

Downing needs to be replaced asap. Im findng it harder and harder to accept his position in the team. Yes he did " fairly ok" in a handful of games last season ( fulham at home stands out) but if we really want to push for that top 4 we do need him to be replaced. He playes RF and its a position that requires creativity, assists, goals & he doesnt provide either. Would rather sterling there 100 %

lovepool

kopite1982 said:
Downing needs to be replaced asap. Im findng it harder and harder to accept his position in the team. Yes he did " fairly ok" in a handful of games last season ( fulham at home stands out) but if we really want to push for that top 4 we do need him to be replaced. He playes RF and its a position that requires creativity, assists, goals & he doesnt provide either. Would rather sterling there 100 %
Downing gets overly criticised here, and sometimes from me, but this game showed the typical lack end product we get from him. So many times he comes short for the ball when we need a wide player to make runs behind the full back or at least try and take his man on. Downing sees to get the ball and drift infield with it and then produces chipped crosses or passes which invariably miss their target.

He also offers little or no goal threat and the cameos by Sterling and Ibe, who injected pace and the ability to dribble past opponents, really showed how poor Downing was.

With Sterling and Ibe not yet ready to be regulars for a whole season we seriously need an upgrade on Downing for the RW position. We missed out on Mkhitaryan but hopefully Rodgers can sort out this position soon

lovepool

RichLFC said:
This commentary...dear me
Anyone got a weird American and a weird American sounding German fella on their telly? Cheaper than a trip to Lidl
'Can't have a game without referees' is just one of many pearls of wisdom
'Whoops a daisy' lol
I listened to these two also and I feel sorry for Indonesian football if they are getting paid to be coaches. The main commentator was German in the first half he kept talking about having Uefa coaching badges but his lack of knowledge was embarrassing at times

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Goals get confidence, i am so glad that our no.10 is playing so well, it will improve his confidence, same with sterling, it always helps when you have a good preseason. I hope luis alberto also gets into the score sheet. Same for allen and borini!

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
That is how a 80k+ stadium with atleast 40K in kop grandstand would like! amazing, got goosebumps!

RJK

Hmmmm. I know I know. It's practice match fitness stuff, BUT I see the same dithery style of play. Surely tactics play some part at this stage of the season. This lax passing around at the back. Surely a defensive coach was priority after last season. Agree on Downing needing to go, but who wouldn't. Waaaay too early to judge new players & yes there are bright spots. I just worry that tactics need a higher calibre of technical players than we've got.... But great to be watching football again

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
Just saw some info from LFC FB.

"Attendance for our match in Jakarta (more than 7,000 miles from Anfield) last night was 82,143. Incredible support from the Indonesian Reds!"

How amazing is that ? Respect to them, you don't have to be a homegrown supporter to have the passion, they have it 7,000 miles away! :)

AnfieldCat

TIA Squad Member
Maria said:
Just saw some info from LFC FB.

"Attendance for our match in Jakarta (more than 7,000 miles from Anfield) last night was 82,143. Incredible support from the Indonesian Reds!"

How amazing is that ? Respect to them, you don't have to be a homegrown supporter to have the passion, they have it 7,000 miles away! :)
And they sounded amazing throughout, it was a wonderful atmosphere that I hope the players were very grateful for.

Maria

Ad-free Member
AnfieldCat said:
And they sounded amazing throughout, it was a wonderful atmosphere that I hope the players were very grateful for.
Ahh shucks, missed it last night. :( Did you watch it ? Any pics coming up soon ?

AnfieldCat

TIA Squad Member
Maria said:
Ahh shucks, missed it last night. :( Did you watch it ? Any pics coming up soon ?
Yeah I watched it because I have one of those LFCTV subscriptions and they are showing the pre-season games exclusively, its only £2.99 a month for the first 3 months if you are interested, I won't get to see the next game as it clashes with a boring jobcentre appt I have which I am not impressed about, how dare they make me look for work when I could be watching Liverpool!! ;)

Are we allowed to post pics on this forum??

Maria

Ad-free Member
AnfieldCat said:
Yeah I watched it because I have one of those LFCTV subscriptions and they are showing the pre-season games exclusively, its only £2.99 a month for the first 3 months if you are interested, I won't get to see the next game as it clashes with a boring jobcentre appt I have which I am not impressed about, how dare they make me look for work when I could be watching Liverpool!! ;)

Are we allowed to post pics on this forum??
Thanks AnfielCat,

With regards to pictures, not sure on that one, but I know we are not allowed any images from 'Getty' as the site will be fined.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
Fucking awful match, played on a poor pitch, in horrible conditions, in front of absolutely amazing fans. Hats off to them, that noise level never came down even though at times I felt like they didn't know who to cheer for.

2-0 result, could have been a lot more with the various shots off the post (some things never change, eh?) and some howler finishing from Aspas and Sterling. Then again, hitting your heights in the second match of preseason while basically playing football in a hot bowl of soup was probably going to be a big ask (fair play to Arsenal).

Hopefully the match in Melbourne will be a better spectacle.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Thailand, Indonesia and Malaysia. I would certainly host it in one of these countries.

HarryFloyd

TIA First Team
The Indonesian fans and their support should give some of the match goers some food for thought- how to build an atmosphere (minus the pyros), which many seem to have forgotten.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
HarryFloyd said:
The Indonesian fans and their support should give some of the match goers some food for thought- how to build an atmosphere (minus the pyros), which many seem to have forgotten.
Yup...Anfield is too quiet these days...unless you've got a good group together it's difficult to get people singing.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
lfc.eddie said:
Thailand, Indonesia and Malaysia. I would certainly host it in one of these countries.
Hey cmon, next year, our brand new National Stadium in Singapore that can host 60K would be up too. :lol:

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
I think the Indonesian fans were on the best behaviour. In regional matches like Indonesia Vs Singapore, the so called Ultras in Indonesia basically wants to murder the Singapore team. It is both passionate, fiery but at the same time scary.

Anyway what a bastard hearthrob our captain is :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RGvt579dXJc