• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Is it a striker we really need, or is it something else...?

Lucas

Andy Carroll - 35 million, Alberto Aquilani - 7 million, Dirk Kuyt - 10 million, Charlie Adam - 7 million, Maxi Rodriguez - Bosman, Craig Bellamy - Bosman, Jay Spearing - Academy graduate ... Replaced by: Joe Allen - 15 million, Fabio Borini - 10 Million, Oussama Assaidi - 3 million, Nuri Sahin - Loan, Joe Cole - Bosman, Dani Pacheco - Bosman ... I know that FSG would like for the supporters to wait until February 1st, before we put any pressure on you ... And at February 1st, we will again hear the good old: "January market is poor ... Next summer will be big" ... Mate, we have been there already ... You will have to try harder ...
So you imply that you'd have rather seen these players stay? Presuming we had bought in Dempsey to replace Carroll, would you have still wanted him here? As for Kuyt and Bellers, ptt has said it, plus they wanted to leave anyway, and in Bellers' case it was already planned. I fail to see how the replacements are a bad thing.

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
So you imply that you'd have rather seen these players stay? Presuming we had bought in Dempsey to replace Carroll, would you have still wanted him here? As for Kuyt and Bellers, ptt has said it, plus they wanted to leave anyway, and in Bellers' case it was already planned. I fail to see how the replacements are a bad thing.
Presuming? We will be talking about hypothetical scenarios now, and not about our realistic situation? OK, then ... Presuming that we have signed Radamel Falcao last summer, I would have been satisfied with our transfer dealings ...

Lucas

Presuming? We will be talking about hypothetical scenarios now, and not about our realistic situation? OK, then ... Presuming that we have signed Radamel Falcao last summer, I would have been satisfied with our transfer dealings ...
What i'm saying is that Carroll himself isn't of the standard we need, and that pretty much any other goalscoring replacement would have been more than satisfactory in comparison.

The wages argument for Kuyt et al is also strong. Kuyt barely played, the same with Maxi, and frankly they weren't worth what we were paying them week in week out

No Men in the Box Redux

Keyboard Warrior
I wasn't a 100% convinced before about this but today once again showed me what Suarez's best position is. He just creates havoc as a false 9. He creates so much space and whenever he drifts wide, he almost always manages to pick out the perfect pass or to beat his man and get to the dangerous areas in the box.

We're just missing a classy wide forward who can finish. Today we played Shelvey and Sterling out wide and both of them were effective and hard-working but they just missed that final bit of class when they were in the box. And they were in the box a lot thanks to Suarez's movement and magic. Unfortunately, the final ball from our widemen was often poor and their decision making was often not sharp enough. They were greedy when they shouldn't have been or they were indecisive and stalled on the ball when they should have put their laces through it.

It is arguable whether Sterling should continue to be a starter once we get reinforcements in because I do feel that even though he is performing very well, we're still relying too much on him and he just doesn't have that part in his game yet. He can very much learn from someone like Theo Walcott. Walcott's decision making in the final third has improved drastically. On the other hand, Theo could learn from Sterling's doggedness and defensive discipline. Regardless, Shelvey should not be played out wide, and we clearly need someone with real class to come in for these wide positions. BR has tried everything now and no one seems to have the class to hold that position down permanently. Really hope we try to focus all of our kitty and spend big on one classy wide forward and then tie up a loan deal or two. We don't need any more bench warmers. Ideally, Sterling wouldn't even be starting as often as he is now. You can't force a players development sometimes. He will learn how to score goals in due time but we can't expect it to happen immediately over the course of his first debut season.

For now, it seems like our only two widemen that can offer consistent threat are Sterling and Enrique. Enrique is a leftback and that seems to be his best position. Sterling is a 17 year old in his debut season who has bags of pace but still hasn't been able to contribute enough directly in terms of goals or assists and we shouldn't expect the world of him either. All this team needs is two quality wide forwards that can slot right in to the starting XI. All I want for Christmas is James Rodriguez and Alexis Sanchez.

charleslee89

TIA New Signing
I wasn't a 100% convinced before about this but today once again showed me what Suarez's best position is. He just creates havoc as a false 9. He creates so much space and whenever he drifts wide, he almost always manages to pick out the perfect pass or to beat his man and get to the dangerous areas in the box.

We're just missing a classy wide forward who can finish. Today we played Shelvey and Sterling out wide and both of them were effective and hard-working but they just missed that final bit of class when they were in the box. And they were in the box a lot thanks to Suarez's movement and magic. Unfortunately, the final ball from our widemen was often poor and their decision making was often not sharp enough. They were greedy when they shouldn't have been or they were indecisive and stalled on the ball when they should have put their laces through it.

It is arguable whether Sterling should continue to be a starter once we get reinforcements in because I do feel that even though he is performing very well, we're still relying too much on him and he just doesn't have that part in his game yet. He can very much learn from someone like Theo Walcott. Walcott's decision making in the final third has improved drastically. On the other hand, Theo could learn from Sterling's doggedness and defensive discipline. Regardless, Shelvey should not be played out wide, and we clearly need someone with real class to come in for these wide positions. BR has tried everything now and no one seems to have the class to hold that position down permanently. Really hope we try to focus all of our kitty and spend big on one classy wide forward and then tie up a loan deal or two. We don't need any more bench warmers. Ideally, Sterling wouldn't even be starting as often as he is now. You can't force a players development sometimes. He will learn how to score goals in due time but we can't expect it to happen immediately over the course of his first debut season.

For now, it seems like our only two widemen that can offer consistent threat are Sterling and Enrique. Enrique is a leftback and that seems to be his best position. Sterling is a 17 year old in his debut season who has bags of pace but still hasn't been able to contribute enough directly in terms of goals or assists and we shouldn't expect the world of him either. All this team needs is two quality wide forwards that can slot right in to the starting XI. All I want for Christmas is James Rodriguez and Alexis Sanchez.
and probably a DM as well?

Off_The_Heezay

TIA Youth Team
Really? Go back to August 31st this year ...
So, if we're discussing August 2012 what does a quote from January 2009, from a completely different group of people, with absolutely no relation to the current owners have to do with it? If you want to talk about the owners then fine, I think everyone around here is all too aware of your position (hell, it takes over every thread including this one!) but please stop twisting everything and picking out points that exclusively fit your narrative.

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
So, if we're discussing August 2012 what does a quote from January 2009, from a completely different group of people, with absolutely no relation to the current owners have to do with it? If you want to talk about the owners then fine, I think everyone around here is all too aware of your position (hell, it takes over every thread including this one!) but please stop twisting everything and picking out points that exclusively fit your narrative.
Because they are using the exact same tricks ... But you already knew this one, didn't you? ;)

Off_The_Heezay

TIA Youth Team
Because they are using the exact same tricks ... But you already knew this one, didn't you? ;)
I don't recall FSG trying to justify their lack of spending on August 31st, in fact by all accounts they were relatively apologetic. Nor do they claim to spend big in this window - our limitations are clear for everyone to see. Whether or not you agree with those limitations or find them irritating is a completely reasonable debate (although one for another thread), but this whole painting of them as being the same as H+G or Lerner isn't fair at present. Things like those quotes, and the blind refusal to see any reasons for Maxi and Bellamy's departures other than wage cuts are the problem, and its a shame because it spoils what would be an interesting debate.

Anyway, as an attempt to get this thread back on track... You've said in the past that you don't see an out and out number 9 as the answer, and looking at how Suarez has been playing I agree. We do need goals from the wings though, so which players would you suggest we look at or could realistically bring in?

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
I don't recall FSG trying to justify their lack of spending on August 31st, in fact by all accounts they were relatively apologetic. Nor do they claim to spend big in this window - our limitations are clear for everyone to see.
It seems that you have missed our Chairman's interview ...

Off_The_Heezay

TIA Youth Team
It seems that you have missed our Chairman's interview ...
Any chance of a link then? Because I can find these...

BR - “The owners have been true to their word. They have been remarkable with the support that I have been given, especially early on when we lost some games. I had messages of support, some were apologetic, that I had been given the group I have been given."

http://www.liverpool...00252-32296864/

Liverpool chairman Tom Werner has admitted that mistakes have been made in regards to the failure to replace departed attackers such as Dirk Kuyt, Andy Carroll, Craig Bellamy and Maxi this summer.“Obviously, we have made some mistakes in the past”, admitted the American. “Our intention is to deliver, strengthen the squad and move forward.”“We know that January is a challenging time and I don’t want to say we’ve got x or y but, hopefully, the fans will be pleased with what we do accomplish.”

http://www.thisisanf...ts-to-mistakes/

But nothing promising big spending. And an answer to the second question? Before this thread gets even further off-topic.

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
Anyway, as an attempt to get this thread back on track... You've said in the past that you don't see an out and out number 9 as the answer, and looking at how Suarez has been playing I agree. We do need goals from the wings though, so which players would you suggest we look at or could realistically bring in?
If we have some money in January, my target would be Dries Mertens from PSV ...

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
I'm sure you're aware that the second link I posted is actually a transcript of the majority of that interview. Strengthening does not = big spending. Try harder.
Transcript, yes ... But without the subtitle from the official site: "Tom Werner is hopeful that Liverpool supporters will like what they see from the January transfer window" ... Massive difference there ...

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
I am of the opposite opinion. I agree that Suarez did cause chaos, especially when he drifted out wide but as i see it if he is better when he's out wide wouldn't it be easier and smarter to just get a goalscorer who can make the most of all the chances he creates. That also fills one of the wide areas with someone you just said creates so much space and chances when he is out wide. Someone also mentioned (think it was ISMF) that we are currently converting chances at 7%, lowest in the league i think so surely a true goalscorer that scores at better than 7% is needed.

To me the best front line would be Sterling, new striker, Suarez with Sterling and Suarez constantly swapping. Suarez is always available then if our new striker is injured with Borini as backup and with 3 available strikers we can even try new formations that require 2 strikers with 1 on the bench. If anything the fact that Suarez isn't available next week and we'll be using someone like Yesil kind of shows how badly we need a striker.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
We are about to play our next Premier League game without a single League capped striker available to play.

Not a single one.

We need a striker.

Whatever arguments over whether that striker is a back up or starter, able to play out wide or in the middle solely and who the player should be can easily be debated in the "Who would you buy" thread.

My suggestion is with the situation we are facing with the West Ham match that this thread is no longer required because the question of if we need a striker was answered when one of our strikers was injured and the only other one got a suspension.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
Transcript, yes ... But without the subtitle from the official site: "Tom Werner is hopeful that Liverpool supporters will like what they see from the January transfer window" ... Massive difference there ...
The owners are responsible for the subheads the copy desk puts on articles? Oh dear.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
Do you honestly believe that a career show business producer is not authorizing his interviews? How naive ...
Do you honestly believe that football club owners write the headlines for articles containing their interviews? How naïve ...

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
Every time I see the title of this thread I have a little chuckle.

Off_The_Heezay

TIA Youth Team
Ah, so now we aren't looking for quotes from our chairman? Nice to see we're moving the goalposts as usual.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Quotes from our Chairman? Here you have some: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17696038
Werent you arguing over you accusing Werner of saying the window would be big Hicks style?

Nice to see you are still changing your arguments everytime anybody points out how you are wrong.

Are you sure you arent a teenager?

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
Werent you arguing over you accusing Werner of saying the window would be big Hicks style?

Nice to see you are still changing your arguments everytime anybody points out how you are wrong.

Are you sure you arent a teenager?
Well, it seems that more and more people at these boards are realizing that FSG are serial liars ... Is that bothering you?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Well, it seems that more and more people at these boards are realizing that FSG are serial liars ... Is that bothering you?
lol you still accusing me of working for them because I dont agree with you? Hows that football manager game going btw? Managed to transfer out Ince, Huntelaar and Walcott after they lost you the league? Zarate, Mertens and Fischer still winning you games?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
When out of facts, start with the insults ... I must have touched a nerve there ...
;) just taking lessons from the master!

Edit: Oh and you now realise that accusing other posters of being "computer game fans" just because they disagree with you is insulting? Glad we are making progress!