Is it time we won some silverware?

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad.
Think it's fair to say it's overdue now isn't it? A bit of silverware I mean. Don't care which trophy; FA Cup, League Cup, title or CL.

Okay, football has changed, the top 4 seems to be the aim in the modern game, however, wouldn't it be nice if we actually won a trophy for a change? That's what LFC as a football club used to be all about.

So, for you, how important do you think winning a trophy is next season? If we finish in the top four and get long runs in the cups but win nothing again would that be acceptable?

Last edited:

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Yep, I want silverware. It’s what this club is all about and I don’t think that’s lost on Klopp.

That said, top four and playing good football is acceptable to me.......and even a bad year Klopp has enough money in the bank with me.

Dave-D

Top four and a trophy this coming season is a success for me.
I don’t care which trophy it is as long as it’s a trophy, the squad has tasted defeat in the biggest final and now need to taste success and it’ll breed more success

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
With only slightly more luck, we'd already have won three deserved cups (league cup, UEFA Cup, CL cup).

Point is: you can't plan for silverware. You can only build a team as good as possible, train and coach the players, try to win one game after the other, and then hope that everything falls together.

That's what Klopp is doing, and if he persists on that way and the club gives him full backing, it will eventually result in trophies. Fingers crossed.

Incognito

The Normal One
Yes, past two seasons were understandable with Klopp rebuilding and getting his players, laying down the structure and a way he wants this team to play. A very good foundation is built now and he has the players to take this to next step. Entertaining football + trophies both are equally important, one without the other is never enough. Time to win something at the very least and make the players and our club as a whole taste the joy of success to want even more and instill further the mentality of winning and nothing less would do, which we are very well on course.

RedLar

We've reached 3 (is it?) cup finals with Klopp. Two European. With a goalkeeper worth his salt, then we're on par with Madrid in the last one. Are the FA cup and League cup all that important any more? Targets have to be the league and what we acheived in Europe last year. In the absence of an actual trophy, we've witnessed some top footy and Anfield nights with Klopp. Matching the heady days of the 70s and 80s at times. Top 4 finish is better than either of the domestic cups IMHO. Sad, but true ... Going deeper into the champions league even moreso.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad.
So, what would people take out of the two choices of winning some silverware and finishing 5th or finish in the top 4 but no trophy?

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
EL was a big blow at the time. Wasn't happy with the performance, apart from the final 15 minutes of the first half or so. The manner in which we let that slip and the chance it was at the time, huge. Last season we overachieved by even getting to the final.

Of course, every time is the time to win silverware. But yeah, this team looks like it can compete even more with a couple of more additions and if we continue to replace our big players well if/when they leave. Overall in terms of actually winning, of course it's not good enough. 2 trophies in the last 12 years? That is in fact pretty much terrible for a club of our scale. But of course, the club was also in huge trouble with past owners and the takeover stuff. Then it was a period of rebuilding, but again with some simply not good enough decisions.

Now, the club is probably in the best shape it has been for a long time, perhpas the best since I started following the club in '00. That progress in our process came a bit too late for someone like Coutinho, but for someone like Salah (or Keita) it might just be the right timing. Players on the verge of becoming real top quality at a club that is on the verge of something (with our finances and rivals in the league perhaps not so much serial winners, but to start winning here and there again).

Of course, teams can set certain targets. For us for a couple of years it was to reach top 4 and stay there. Now it looks like it's the minimum, but enter every PL game with the mindset (Klopp having a complete footballing idea that is modern with this current time, not an incomplete like Rodgers, now it's about adding more individual quality to that) of trying to win and see where it takes us.

We're not a million miles away, but yes, it's true that this last decade or so, the club's gone through some tough times and some unusually (considering other periods in the past when we used to win more with maybe less good sides) badly lost finals.

MarcusBerglund

With only slightly more luck, we'd already have won three deserved cups (league cup, UEFA Cup, CL cup).

Point is: you can't plan for silverware. You can only build a team as good as possible, train and coach the players, try to win one game after the other, and then hope that everything falls together.

That's what Klopp is doing, and if he persists on that way and the club gives him full backing, it will eventually result in trophies. Fingers crossed.
I don't think it is luck what stops us from winning big trophy.
We must keep our best players for a long period /at least 5 years, not selling them every time a huge offer arrives in the club offices/, improve the current squad and just pray for Klopp to perform his magic once again.
Sevilla underlined our weakness in defence /especially central defender and left back/ which costed us the game.
We improved these two areas - Robertson and VvD.
Real Madrid exposed two other weaknesses - not enough depth in attack and the urgent need to improve the goalkeeper position which costed us the final and almost costed us the semi final /Kaius could not stop Kolarov's shot from 30+ metres and he was really lucky it hit the bar, not the back of the net/.
We need more depth in attack - what happens if we lose Mane, Bobby or Salah for a long period? The CL final showed that the owners need to invest much more in the current squad.
Improvement on Karius is a must and adding more quality, not only quantity in attacking positions is vital.
A the moment we have Fabinho for Can and Keita for Coutinho /if we assume that Cou would have been used in central midfield under Klopp/.

Dave-D

We've reached 3 (is it?) cup finals with Klopp. Two European. With a goalkeeper worth his salt, then we're on par with Madrid in the last one. Are the FA cup and League cup all that important any more?
Yes they are if you want to breed a winning mentality. I also don’t want Klopp getting beaten with the “but his Liverpool haven’t won any trophies” stick.

So, what would people take out of the two choices of winning some silverware and finishing 5th or finish in the top 4 but no trophy?
5th and winning the champions league would do in that situation then lol

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Winning a trophy didn't save KD. Three FA Cups in 4 years didn't save Wenger. We have to accept that the domestic trophies are far less relevant than they once were, particularly for us given that for the first time in about 10 years we are genuinely competitive in the league and Champions League.

I'd be more concerned about not winning stuff like FA Cups or League Cups if we didn't have a manager who I thought could deliver the PL or a CL. Regardless of what happens in the remainder of the transfer window I don't see us having the strength in depth to compete across four fronts next season. If we invest in the right areas (and City are less good) then I expect a title challenge next season. I also expect us to establish ourselves as CL regulars under Klopp. He's brilliant in Europe. Two European campaigns, two finals.

I reckon not winning silverware will become a stick for some to beat JK with if we don't win anything again next season but for me it's still all about the bigger picture stuff. Great football, improving squad and restoring our reputation in Europe. As long as we stay on track in achieving that then some kind of silverware is a bonus but not an essential for us to have a good season.

GermanRed

If we keep on improving like we did in the last two seasons we’ll surely will be competing for the league title but if City manage to reach +90 points again it will be impossible to win it - wouldn’t surprise me if Pep does it again because he has done it before.

Incognito

The Normal One
Below is the priority:
1. Premier league (default top 4)
2. Champions league (default end result as top 4)
3. Top 4 with any of the domestic cups
4. Top 4 without winning any of the domestic cups
5. Outside top 4 with winning any domestic cups

The rationale behind above is :
1. Limited period we have with Klopp and the key players unfortunately as gone are the days we'll have players staying long/ wanting to join without competing in champions league
2. Champions league attracts top players and that'll help maintain sustainability than winning domestic silverware
3. We haven't won a PL or UCL for a very long time now, if we would have been winning it regularly or at least few times in last decade, a outlier outside top 4 finish would be understandable. But being outside top 4 itself for long in last decade has put us back a lot and players look the consistency and club direction and upward trajectory to become a part of it.
4. What players want has become more important than what we want as fans. Without them, we would anyways not achieve what we would like.

Dave-D

If we keep on improving like we did in the last two seasons we’ll surely will be competing for the league title but if City manage to reach +90 points again it will be impossible to win it - wouldn’t surprise me if Pep does it again because he has done it before.
End of season sky sports did a whole show with Guardiola and Neville asked him if CL was now priority to which he said no retaining the league was.

aBitSadAndLonely

I’d love some friends in real life...
I only want the PL and CL.
I'd rather get top 4 than the FA Cup.

As for the League Cup, I'd rather win a preseason game.

GermanRed

End of season sky sports did a whole show with Guardiola and Neville asked him if CL was now priority to which he said no retaining the league was.
He did it with Barca and Bayern (getting such a high number of points in back to back seasons) but I hope the quality and intensity of the Premier League will make it impossible for them to do it again.

I think it’s all about improvement. We’ve improved with almost every player Klopp brought in (Mané, Salah, Robertson, VvD). Hard to imagine that Fabinho and especially Keita won’t improve us even more.

If Klopp really brings in Fekir and Shaqiri - that would also mean that we will be able to compensate injuries to up to three players for a few games.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Champs League and Premier League for me, at least make a real challenge for it. Along the way, one domestic cup would be good. No top 4 and empty handed and no domestic cup and fail to be in the Champs League the following season. Time is up, and time to deliver the goods. All smiles and the novelty will be wearing off as time goes by. I don't expect anything less than the way we've been playing last season, the style.

We improved in the Champs League last season, so there's an improvement. So now I expect more improvement. Silverware would be greatly appreciated.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad.
Champs League and Premier League for me, at least make a real challenge for it. Along the way, one domestic cup would be good. No top 4 and empty handed and no domestic cup and fail to be in the Champs League the following season. Time is up, and time to deliver the goods. All smiles and the novelty will be wearing off as time goes by. I don't expect anything less than the way we've been playing last season, the style.

We improved in the Champs League last season, so there's an improvement. So now I expect more improvement. Silverware would be greatly appreciated.

I love the direction we are going in, it would be so..........good to be back on our perch as the best team in England, so for me I would take being champions over anything.

I hope we really push hard in the cups next season, we really could do with winning something. Then once that monkey's off our back maybe we'll win silverware on a regular basis? The CL is a massive ask, can't see us over-achieving there again but you never know and it will be seriously difficult to come ahead of City in the league.Looks like the domestic cups are our biggest chance of a trophy.

Strictly Armchair

Yes, the time for a gleaming trinket is overdue. We are now in the longest period since we went potless under Shanks' leadership between League titles in '66 and '73. We need one to shut the Klopp bashers up just as much as anything else. I can imagine the shit coming our way if we reached the F.A. Cup Final and lost that too. We'd never hear the last of how Klopp now has a full house of losing finals in every competition open to him.

The other reason winning a trophy is vitally important is when you look at the stats since we won the F.A. Cup in '06.
2007 - CL finalists
2008 - CL semi-finalists
2009 - PL runners-up
2010 - EL semi-finalists
2012 - F.A. Cup finalists (but we did just manage to scrape our way to a League Cup win)
2014 - PL runners-up
2015 - League Cup and F.A. Cup semi-finalists
2016 - League Cup and EL finalists
2017 - League Cup semi-finalists
2018 - CL finalists

In 12 seasons we have reached the semi-final stage in various cups on 11 occasions but have only one trophy to show for it. Add in the two close but no cigar PL seasons and that gives off the aura of serial bottlers. We have laughed at Arsenal for the same reason.

I'm about to contradict myself here but I'll say it anyway. If we don't win a trophy this coming season but continue to progress I could live with that. Not because mediocrity is acceptable but more due to the fact that I don't want us hitting the reset button every few years. If we do that we'll end up more Spursy than Spurs. Klopp is under contract until the end of the '21-'22 season, he's still the man for the job.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I love the direction we are going in, it would be so..........good to be back on our perch as the best team in England, so for me I would take being champions over anything.

I hope we really push hard in the cups next season, we really could do with winning something. Then once that monkey's off our back maybe we'll win silverware on a regular basis? The CL is a massive ask, can't see us over-achieving there again but you never know and it will be seriously difficult to come ahead of City in the league.Looks like the domestic cups are our biggest chance of a trophy.
Yes we need to win something shiny, that will breed more confident players. We are now seen and will always have that nearly-men tag hanging over us. Something that we need to wipe out. But not at an expense of playing style, I would never want that.

So some may call me greedy, but that's how it should be. First season he took over 3 months into the season, he took us to the finals of Europa League. Failed to qualify for all European competitions and finished outside the qualifying position in the league. He then brought us to a brink only to see us fail due to lack in squad depth during January and February. We finished 4th. This time we have European competition, we started the league badly and gaining more momentum towards the end. He took us to Champs League finals. Thats 3 finals in 3 seasons, League Cup, Europa League and Champs League.

We have to start winning something.... We know what he can do, and we know the quality we have in our squad. It's time to erase that mental block and show the world what we could do. It would be a failure if we don't keep pace with the title winner or be the title winner.

Chewbazza

True Believer
I'm mostly interested in season on season improvement. So next year I want top 3 or top 4 plus a trophy. Doesn't especially matter which one, but the order of preference should be obvious.

aBitSadAndLonely

I’d love some friends in real life...
Everything that is wrong with modern day fans, rolled into 2 short sentences.
I want our team to be great. Not win some mickey mouse cup that's meaningless. I dont see whats wrong with that.

RaoulDuke

Wind-Down Merchant
I only want the PL and CL.
I'd rather get top 4 than the FA Cup.

As for the League Cup, I'd rather win a preseason game.
I also don‘t really care about the League Cup that much. It seems to be more like a consolation prize. But it‘s still a cup.

The FA cup on the other hand is important in my opinion.
It’s older than any european competition (and the league system).

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
Absolutely a must this season and I think Klopp knows that too. Win something this year and continue to grow from there.
I have a gut feeling we may win multiple titles this season.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
I want our team to be great. Not win some mickey mouse cup that's meaningless. I dont see whats wrong with that.
We've won this mickey mouse cup 8 times. More than anybody else.

I really don't understand the thought process behind this line of thinking. Is it less prestigious? Of course. It's still a trophy though and if it were up to me we would be winning as many of them as possible.