• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Is it time we won some silverware?

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Yes. We will be winning Quadruple this year - PL, CL, FA cup and league cup - stunning the whole world while doing it stylishly.
If England can win a penalty shootout after 22 years, anything should be possible.

PS - this has nothing to do with me wanting to change the damn name. Serious.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
I hasten to add, if we only finish 4th this year and no trophies, and 4th next year and no trophies, I still won't be calling for Klopp to be replaced.

richieh10

I hasten to add, if we only finish 4th this year and no trophies, and 4th next year and no trophies, I still won't be calling for Klopp to be replaced.
Or me.... but I would like to think that by the time you’ve quoted he would have been here 5 years... 5 years with no trophy will be ultimately classed as a failure. I think Klopp would class that as a failure too.

Eintrachtfan

The convinced one
Really? You don't think Real, Barca or Bayern fans would be too bothered if they didn't win any silverware? Would they have been as patient as us if they hadn't won their domestic title for nearly 30 years?
The difference between RM, Barca or Bayern and us is they have had most times a team at the highest level. So the expectations would have been reasonable.
The competition in England is much harder than in Spain or Germany, where only two teams are serious competitors.
There is no god given right to win the league for any club.
It’s all about hard work, a little bit of luck and last but not least money.
The desire to win the league for Liverpool is due to the history of our Club fully understandable.

Mikel.de

Banned Users
Sorry Folks, but we Win this Season Nothing again. One good buy, Keita, is not enought. No GK, no LCB to Virgil and no Winger to give our front3 a break....The other Teams are on Smiling again....Players for free is a dream...A midfield like ours too. But in the End, there wil be ZERO Trophies again.

Play 1-7-3 ??? Midfield is too much.

Can Pool buy a real good Player? No.
Are other Teams so Stupid? No.
Do you think we have this same luck as last Season? No.
Fabinho, Xeridan Shakiry, and a Handfull of Young Players. 2019 place in PL: only with luck # 7....

Sad, very Sad.

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
Sorry Folks, but we Win this Season Nothing again. One good buy, Keita, is not enought. No GK, no LCB to Virgil and no Winger to give our front3 a break....The other Teams are on Smiling again....Players for free is a dream...A midfield like ours too. But in the End, there wil be ZERO Trophies again.

Fabinho, Xeridan Shakiry, and a Handfull of Young Players. 2019 place in PL: only with luck # 7....

Sad, very Sad.
Don't apologise mate,that's fucking hilarious.

Rooster

What a hit son

Sad, very Sad.
51 posts - that's enough. On your bike.

Strictly Armchair

51 posts - that's enough. On your bike.
Oh I don't know about that Rooster. A good WUM will get under people's skin but a pisspoor one is good for giving the troops a good laugh with their ill-thought-out nonsense. We haven't had such a good laugh on here since Makati Red was given his marching orders. Enjoy it, like perfect British summers they come along all too infrequently.

Mikel.de

Banned Users
There are enough bonehead in the world, here most ...

And at the End, you cry like a baby again and again and again......

Freeman

Just a season without key player long term injury. Then any kind of silverware will come naturally I'm sure.

pottymonster

I am one with the Force, the Force is with me.
I think we're in with a shout to win the League next season, but we aren't favorites for it. It comes down to Man City: do they come back down to earth a bit or do they run away with it again? It's theirs to lose. If you view last season as an aberration and not repeatable, I think we'll be right up there.

In the Champions League, I honestly feel like it's ours to lose. On our day we've shown we're absolutely unstoppable. If Salah hadn't been UFC'd by Ramos, we'd have won that one already. I think it's there for the taking. All of the big teams from the last few years (Barca, Real, Juve, Bayern) are aging. We're young and on the up.

As for the domestic Cups, well the League Cup games are going to conflict a bit with the CL group stage, so I don't mind throwing that by the wayside and leaving it up to the squad, but the FA Cup early stages happen when there aren't any CL games, and it's a short tournament in that there are only what? 6 games? I think it will mostly come down to the draw. Avoid PL opponents early and you can get to those later stages where the intensity is higher and the players start to see a trophy at the end of it... We can win it.

Basically, we could win the treble this year, but I won't be disappointed with a double. :tongue:

PaulRoJo

Supporter since 1990 still waiting for the league
I'll take challenging city for the league as a trophy alternative this season. Agree that we need some silverware over next few seasons - the league is what we all really want.

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
I think this is the season we realistically challenge for the title and if we don't win that we will at the very least win a trophy this season. we have to

I will be happy with any trophy but I must say I want to win the title the most I think. maybe we will get some luck and win 2 trophies this year

to make up for the past couple of years of being so close

my expectations at the very least this season is top 4 finish and 1 trophy.. if we don't get at the very least both of those I will be disappointed

dockers_strike

It is time we jibbed the domestic cups and set our stall out to win the league and a good run in the CL. Not winning a trophy since 2012 is unfortunate. Not winning the title for nearly 30 years is a disgrace.

Danny_

So, what would people take out of the two choices of winning some silverware and finishing 5th or finish in the top 4 but no trophy?
Coming 4th, unless the 'silverware' is the CL. Lets face it - the domestic cups are completely devalued at this point.

dockers_strike

You have to move with the times. We all know the club exists to win trophies but winning the FA Cup or League Cup does not attract the best players any more. Sadly, being in the CL is a far bigger draw to players now. And we need better players to win the title. As I said not winning the league for nearly 30 years something I never thought I would live to see is an utter disgrace. On another forum a few posters fall out of their tree because the club has not won the FA or League Cup since 2012 but ignore the fact we have not been Premier League winners.

Lets face it this is why Jurgen is here to win the league or the CL. He is not really here to win the FA or League Cup.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Lets face it this is why Jurgen is here to win the league or the CL. He is not really here to win the FA or League Cup.
I beg to differ, he's appointed to make sure we stay competitive. Taking home them silverwares are optional.

He on the other hand has the ambition of winning trophies, but being idealist he won't go about spending £1b just to get there, but rather to find rough gems here and there, and that suits the owners of this club very, very well.

dockers_strike

I beg to differ, he's appointed to make sure we stay competitive. Taking home them silverwares are optional.

He on the other hand has the ambition of winning trophies, but being idealist he won't go about spending £1b just to get there, but rather to find rough gems here and there, and that suits the owners of this club very, very well.
Fair enough but I think winning league titles is being competitive.(Yes, winning cups is as well it is just I think not winning a title for nearly 30 years is an utter disgrace for this club.) And Jurgen has said it would be cool to bring the first title home in goodness knows how many years so Im pretty sure in the scheme of things he knows what is what.

Agree he is not going to spend a billion quid because the club could not sustain that. But he has clearly shown he wants the right player and if that means paying big he will do that. Similarly if he can pick up gems cheaper he will. And I am all in on that.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
This is the real question we need to be asking, to measure success. Can we have a successful season but win nothing? If we come runners up in the league and the Champions league it would show that we are progressing and getting better. However, for me, we need to start winning a bit of silver.

Last edited:

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
The only trophies we have left ourselves would mean we have succeeded in a legendary way.
It is about time we won something though, but when you are usually looking at three or four clubs better than yourself, you need to take the chances when they come.
The league is now a straight shoot out with city, and although that’s not easy, we may not get as better chance for some time after.
Champions league we are in the running with about 5 others... but again the odds are not going to be much better than that.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Appears we have a fantastic chance to win the league. It's a bit of dilemma though isn't it? We haven't got a squad like City's. If we went full strength and really went for the FA and League cups but it effected our chances in the league and CL I would think the vast majority of us wouldn't have been happy.

Last edited:

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
Appears we have a fantastic chance to win the win.Its a bit of dilemna though isnt it? We havent got a squad like City's. If we went full strength and really went for the FA and League cups but it effected our chances in the league and CL I would think the vast majority of us wouldn't have been happy.
Exactly. I mean can you imagine if we played a full strength team against wolves and it was VVD who went off injured?
If we had played some lower league team and scraped through nobody would be moaning.
But we now really have left our eggs in one basket (well two).

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
yeah its time.

a) because its a monkey that Klopp needs off his back (shut the Manc traps up)

b) We are long overdue.

c) we have the ability to win something.

Hated the twat (not Jenas) on the BBC Wolves commentary when he was talking about all the cup finals that Jurgen has lost. No mention of his back-to-back Bundesliga wins. I will be as delighted for him personally as I will be for LFC when he eventually wins something.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Hated the twat (not Jenas) on the BBC Wolves commentary when he was talking about all the cup finals that Jurgen has lost. No mention of his back-to-back Bundesliga wins. I will be as delighted for him personally as I will be for LFC when he eventually wins something.
Midway through that spiel I switched to Radio 5 Live audio.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Midway through that spiel I switched to Radio 5 Live audio.
I put it on mute in the end. Became unbearable didn't it? Watched the game again on LFC tv, was much easier to watch and I really don't think we played badly at all, the slating Moreno received was totally unjust I feel. Keita also did a lot of nice things I failed to notice on first watch.