Is this our best-ever team?

Redsi73

From a winning games point of view, i think this is the most entertaining and resillient team i've seen since the 70s/80s team.( Born in 73 )

However, those 70s/80s team consistently won trophies and titles.......when this era of players and the players over the next 4 or 5 years do the same, then yes it would be the best team.

Let's get a few titles under our belts first.

RedSeven

On the one road
As others have said it is difficult to compare players from different eras, let alone teams, but if we go on to win a number of titles and cups we can say we are as good a team now as the great sides of the 70s and 80s were back then.

As an extra question, if the one asked was to be resolved,
Over the past couple of years almost all commentators and pundits have claimed that peps man City were probably the best side ever seen. If that is the case then should we win the league on record points, added to our CL and CWC wins as well as 97 points last season, should they now be suggesting that maybe our current team are the best ever, not just in Liverpool but in England and beyond.?

iftikhar

This is the most complete team we had ever since I started watching in mid 1990s. We have quality across the field which wasn't the case for all the teams I have watched in the mentioned timeline. Between Riise and Robertson, we always had problem with LB. Before and after (at least until TAA) Johnson, we never really had a RB with attacking panache. The CB pairing was always rather dubious since the Hyypia, Henchoz /Carragher days. Although Lucas did his best but he didn't match the level of Mascherano or Fabinho.

In my view, Hyypia, Alonso, Gerrard and Suarez stands above the players we currently have. But as an unit, this team is better than our previously best squad:

Reina
Johnson Hyypia Carragher Riise
Mascerano Alonso
Kyut Gerrard ???
Torres​

Now this team needs to win trophies, lots of them. That's how they can etch their name in Kop folklore and deserving so.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
'Greatest' ever is all about achievement and this team hasn't yet had the full opportunity to match the successes of the great teams of the past. It is the best Liverpool team I've seen, player for player and as a collective, and by some distance. It has the world's best keeper, the world's best back 4, the best front 3 and a midfield that perfectly compliments both attack and defence.

If you were an opposition manager I don't know how you'd plan to play against us because you go into a game knowing you're definitely going to concede and that it's unlikely you'll score. If you defend from the front then we'll pass it round you, go low and narrow then you've got the best attacking full backs in the world bombing up and down the flanks all game, go low and wide and we'll find the spaces, push up and we'll go over the top. Even if you do everything perfectly no other team scores more goals from set pieces. And don't think we'll relieve the pressure by taking pot shots. This team is all about creating high percentage chances and suffocating the opposition.

If you pass it out from the back we'll press you to death, it you go long you're giving us heading practice. If you win a corner we are more likely to score from it than you are. We can play on the counter or we can complete 900 passes in a game. We've got tactics for every opponent. You can't out run us or out fight us because the players are physically strong and tough but also agile and athletic. And if that's not enough it's all underpinned by an unreal mentality. No matter how much you want to win we will always want to win a little bit more than you do. This is just about the perfect football team.
A nice summary. :giggle: It must be soul-destroying for other teams indeed.

However, nothing has been done yet bar nr. 6, a great achievement in itself, but not enough to call this tam the greatest one of our history. The most spectacular to watch, the most complete and best balanced? Probably. But at the end, only trophies count. For a truly great team, a lot of trophies.

This is hopefully just the beginning of the road for this team.

Incognito

The Normal One
Too early to tell. Prolonged success and definitely a shout, but again different times and context means it'll never be a fair comparison.

Some stats from this season are crazy though. "Liverpool could’ve not turned up for a league game until October 5th this season and they’d still be top of the league". And this was before the city game today.

This team is unreal for sure. Mentality monsters.

Alright Now

Over a single season...tied with the King’s 89-90 squad. Maybe even 83-84 (although that’s more of a sentimental one for me because it kicked off my love affair with the Reds). But I’ll revisit this when it’s all said and done.

jaffod

Impossible to compare. Teams of the '70's and '80's would play 65 games a season with a 13 man squad, kicking lumps out of each other on mudheaps. It's just not the same game for so many reasons.
But this team is ridiculously effective. Maybe not as skillful or flamboyant as some of the great sides but it's sheer fucking determination and resilience is off the scale. The figures reflect that, we are seeing something right now we will never see again of that I am absolutely sure.
From time to time we all like to name our greatest 11's. It's an impossible task tbh, older fans could name 3 full teams all as good as each other but I'll say this much - every one of the starting 11 from yesterday would be in the conversation. A few might make the first 11 depending on who you asked, a few more the 2nd 11 and so on but none of them could be dismissed out of hand, they are all that good.
They have different attributes - for example, is Trent as good as Neal defensively? Probably not but what he offers creatively makes a valid argument.
You can make the same comparisons all over the pitch, it would be hard to replace Barnesy with Mane, Rush with Bobby or Alonso with Gini but it's the sum of the parts which count and that's what makes this team so good, they all complement each other and bring something different to the table.
Up the fucking Reds!!

roydom

TIA Reserve Team
Supporting this wonderful club since over 30 years since the mid 80's. The double winning side, King Kenny's magic team won all before them with the latter playing the best football I've ever seen.

This team though is very similar in mentality to those teams. They believe they're going to win and we as fans believe it too. It's inevitable, like the tide. We are a machine.

I think a follow up question should be, is this the best team to ever win the title??

Glenbuck1913

Could be but not quite yet, the team that won back to back Euro cups in 77,78 even after selling Keegan! And when it was a true knockout competition as well. Dalglish, Souness, Hansen, Kennedy etc had consistency and style just as this current team do and given time I think its more than possible that new records and achievements will fall.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
One way to look at it is to determine how good we are against everyone else.

We can state with some level of certainty that we have the best goalkeeper, centre back, left back and false 9 in the world. We probably also have the best right back in the world, the second best centre back in England, one of the best DMs in the world and 2 of the top 4 forwards in the world.

We have had some amazing sides in the past, truly exceptional. Have any of them come as close to claiming "best in the world" status in so many positions before? Maybe some of the 70s sides? In the 80s?

ScouseLand

Unbearable
If only Kuyt was younger and played for us now.... He is the perfect Klopp player. His work rate was just insane. Klopp would've turned him into a world class player.

ScouseLand

Unbearable
He wouldn’t get in the team. Who does he displace: Salah or Firmino? He’d be our first rotational option, at best.
Salah would be sold i think. He is the only player among the front 3 that does not fit. He may not score as much as salah but mane and firmino would benefit from him. Plus him on the right would cover TAA immensely and TAA would get more assists which is insane....

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Salah would be sold i think. He is the only player among the front 3 that does not fit. He may not score as much as salah but mane and firmino would benefit from him. Plus him on the right would cover TAA immensely and TAA would get more assists which is insane....
Kuyt would not get anywhere close to replacing Salah.

Yes, works much harder defensively, but no threat in behind. Salah works hard enough not to be a luxury player and his attacking is infinitely higher than Kuyt's.

Klopp values work rate highly but he wouldn't just pick the 11 hardest workers.

Craig_Johnston

I'm very down under, but my wife disagrees
Hilarious. Kuyt was a very hard working player who made the most of his talents, but never in the same league as Salah.

ScouseLand

Unbearable
Kuyt would not get anywhere close to replacing Salah.

Yes, works much harder defensively, but no threat in behind. Salah works hard enough not to be a luxury player and his attacking is infinitely higher than Kuyt's.

Klopp values work rate highly but he wouldn't just pick the 11 hardest workers.
Mane is the goal scorer of this team... why do you think he is pissed whenever he plays with salah. Salah will get his goal by himself and dosen’t need a pass here or there. He is that skilled. Before mane got injured he was our main goal threat together with bobby. Salah does his own thing. When salah is playing at his best mane suffered and was a shadow of himself goal threat wise. Everything ran through salah. We play different now. We don’t rely on 1 goal scorer to put in the work every game.

ScouseLand

Unbearable
Hilarious. Kuyt was a very hard working player who made the most of his talents, but never in the same league as Salah.
Have you seen salah this season? Have you seen how many goal scoring opportunities wasted because he wanted to shoot instead of passing to mane or bobby? Salah is tremendous don’t get me wrong but just dosen’t fit the style we are playing when everyone is fit.

MinneapolisRed

This team could end up being discussed as possibly the best team ever. Not just Liverpool or even club team, but any team period. It might sound silly, but 100 out of the last 102 points on offer is just ridiculous. It’s really almost hard to believe and I doubt we’ll see a run like this again in the English game.

Last edited:

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
This current team has made 3 European finals in a row, even if we only won the last one. Finished last year with 97 points, just one point shy of City, who everyone had pegged as the most dominate team of premier league era (earned from their 17-18 form). Knock on wood, but we are ahead of that so far this year. The form table is awe inspiring. The CV is already fairly impressive.

the fact we are doing so while there is so much wealth spread around the top english teams should also not be overlooked.

the league title on the back of winning last year's champions league (while still in with a shout to do it again, along with the FA cup, depending on the kids on Tuesday) definitely puts this team right there with any team in our past. The dominant/tenacious way this team has ruthlessly treated the league is something people will talk about in 20/30 years time, and beyond.

how does it compare to late 70s teams and mid 80s? Not sure. But can't imagine either of those teams had to overcome a team like city who just spent like crazy, and had produced possibly the two most dominate league performances in back to back years. A few more trophies stuffed in the cabinet, and I don't think anyone would begrudge the claim.

(and Kuyt wouldn't get close to this team. Love the guy, but c'mon)