• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Is this our best-ever team?

RedLar

Between 1970 and 1990 we won the league 11 times and came runner up 7. That, was a great series of teams, and potentially the greatest ever, in light of also amassing (a restricted) 4 European Cup titles, one or two UEFA cup titles, couple of FA Cups and a record number of League Cups.

Take a look at the medal collections of Phil Neal and King Kenny? How can we talk of best teams ever with this sort of pedigree around?

Last edited:

Danny_

Can't really say that they are the best ever until they win the league a couple more times. and maybe another European cup. I still consider Kenny's team in the late 80's to be the best I have ever seen.

These were pretty good as well though. :D

Last edited:

Perth Red

Rolling with crocs in Darwin
Can't really say that they are the best ever until they win the league a couple more times. and maybe another European cup. I still consider Kenny's team in the late 80's to be the best I have ever seen.

These were pretty good as well though. :D

They were brilliant and some of my heroes in there - Kenny, Hansen (what was he doing at centre forward for the 5th???), Steve Heighway, Ray Kennedy... they were a special team. Derby were no mugs then too.

Danny_

I said the Kenny team in 85 was the best I ever saw because I grew up in the 80s and only saw the tail end of the Dalgish/Rush era. That team in the 70s was just as good or better than anything we ever had - just never really saw them.

Danny_

Yup.
Easily the best team I've watched as an liverpool fan.
Have to agree - that team was incredible. Imagine what Kenny, Hansen, Souness, Clemence would be worth in today's market. Heighway and Kennedy were amazing as well. The current team is good but they need at least 3 more league titles before there is even a serious argument about them being the best ever or not