• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Is this our best-ever team?

Danny_

Can't really say that they are the best ever until they win the league a couple more times. and maybe another European cup. I still consider Kenny's team in the late 80's to be the best I have ever seen.

These were pretty good as well though. :D

Last edited:

Perth Red

Deep in the wilds of outback Queensland
Can't really say that they are the best ever until they win the league a couple more times. and maybe another European cup. I still consider Kenny's team in the late 80's to be the best I have ever seen.

These were pretty good as well though. :D

They were brilliant and some of my heroes in there - Kenny, Hansen (what was he doing at centre forward for the 5th???), Steve Heighway, Ray Kennedy... they were a special team. Derby were no mugs then too.

Danny_

I said the Kenny team in 85 was the best I ever saw because I grew up in the 80s and only saw the tail end of the Dalgish/Rush era. That team in the 70s was just as good or better than anything we ever had - just never really saw them.

Danny_

Yup.
Easily the best team I've watched as an liverpool fan.
Have to agree - that team was incredible. Imagine what Kenny, Hansen, Souness, Clemence would be worth in today's market. Heighway and Kennedy were amazing as well. The current team is good but they need at least 3 more league titles before there is even a serious argument about them being the best ever or not

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Best Liverpool team this century? Yes, by a mile. But not the best ever. Let's see a hat-trick of league titles, or at least three in total, plus a couple more CL titles and maybe then we could say that it's on a par with Bob Paisley's Liverpool.

Jaytinho

I dont know the full history of the club season by season, but if we looking at entire SQUADS, bench, staff etc. Then is that the criteria? If that is so, then I do think this is the best LFC team in history

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
Gone very quiet now...any further thoughts anyone? ;). We are now very close to the end of the season. Discounting the last few games, as the title was already won, would anyone like to reassess? Looking back, did most get too carried away? After all it's probably true to say that those sides we normally rate as our main challengers were very average. Would anyone still like to claim this is our best ever side?

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Gone very quiet now...any further thoughts anyone? ;). We are now very close to the end of the season. Discounting the last few games, as the title was already won, would anyone like to reassess? Looking back, did most get too carried away? After all it's probably true to say that those sides we normally rate as our main challengers were very average. Would anyone still like to claim this is our best ever side?
I think it is definitely up there with our best sides, without a doubt. Not sure yet if it is the best though I dont think an argument in favour is far fetched.

richieh10

Has to be doesn't it? We keep clean sheets for fun. We score goals by the bucket load. We have an absolutely fantastic manager, big Virg has to be our best CB, Becker our best 'keeper, Hendo is a magnificent captain and player, the front 3 are all unbelievable and we win almost every game. European and World champions and soon to be confirmed as champions of England blowing a very decent City out of the water.

There is room for development aswell. I really think this is the best-ever Liverpool team, I really do. 100 points out of 102 is quite frankly astonishing. We are without a doubt more consistent than any other Liverpool team that has gone before.

So, what does everyone else think?
i think you posted this about 6 months too early

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Definitely. Look up the end of season form for one of our other best teams in Paisley's last season here. If City had been breathing down our necks and/or Covid didn't happen we would have kept our game faces on and achieved more in the league.

jaffod

I think when everyone is on their game we have a first 11 that is as good as any I've seen over the last 40 odd years. It may not play the football of some of our great sides but it's effectiveness is there for all to see, we have the points tally and trophies to back that up.
What we have seen over the last month is so far removed from what they are capable of it's hard to fathom.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
I think any Liverpool team that wins the title with 7 games still to play on the back of a season when they got 97 points and won the European Cup, had a run of 44 games undefeated, including a sequence where they dropped only 5 points in 38 games, is in with a shout of being the best ever.

If threads like this had existed in the seventies and eighties and had been bumped whenever we'd lost a game or gone through a bad patch then it would have been bumped every other month.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I think any Liverpool team that wins the title with 7 games still to play on the back of a season when they got 97 points and won the European Cup, had a run of 44 games undefeated, including a sequence where they dropped only 5 points in 38 games, is in with a shout of being the best ever.

If threads like this had existed in the seventies and eighties and had been bumped whenever we'd lost a game or gone through a bad patch then it would have been bumped every other month.
Souness said himself, they won the league with 5 games to spare, then lost 4 in a row. They are on the beach, annoying as it is, doesn't take away how we utterly dominated this season.

This is the greatest team of my lifetime. One of the best I've seen in EPL history, probably 2nd to the Arsenal Invincibles for me.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Souness said himself, they won the league with 5 games to spare, then lost 4 in a row. They are on the beach, annoying as it is, doesn't take away how we utterly dominated this season.

This is the greatest team of my lifetime. One of the best I've seen in EPL history, probably 2nd to the Arsenal Invincibles for me.
Not just that - they also knew Paisley was stepping down at the end of the season. There is no way they couldn't be arsed at winning the final games. It just happens.

A bit like we sometime see when teams win the League Cup and then their form promptly collapses for the rest of the season. So much mental energy is spent in getting to that final and competing in that match.

I would put this group above the invincibles. We've been far better in Europe than any Arsenal side under Wenger and we've won more games in the league than the invincibles did, and i think the number of games we went unbeaten was longer than their streak.

Last edited:

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Not just that - they also knew Paisley was stepping down at the end of the season. There is no way they couldn't be arsed at winning the final games. It just happens.

A bit like we sometime see when teams win the League Cup and then their form promptly collapses for the rest of the season. So much mental energy is spent in getting to that final and competing in that match.

I would put this group above the invincibles. We've been far better in Europe than any Arsenal side under Wenger and we've won more games in the league than the invincibles did, and i think the number of games we went unbeaten was longer than their streak.
Arsenal has a rather pithy banner up last night, bragging about their gold trophy and asking us how the undefeated season was going.

Well, we had more points before the lockdown than they managed that whole season. They drew 12 games, and dropped 24 points.

This team pisses all over that one.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Arsenal has a rather pithy banner up last night, bragging about their gold trophy and asking us how the undefeated season was going.

Well, we had more points before the lockdown than they managed that whole season. They drew 12 games, and dropped 24 points.

They also benefitted from some dodgy penalty decisions too - Pires's diving skills shouldn't be forgotten.

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member

All true but I did say I was discounting the last few games...I personally believe we have probably the best ever starting xi on their day...

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin

To be honest, this reminded me a lot of Liverpool fans, especially myself, raising five fingers at every Man United fan out there after every defeat, all while we were going through one of the worst trophy droughts the club has suffered in its history. I admire Arteta very much but I think he'll need to reinvent the whole club if they are not to suffer a fate similar to pre-Klopp Liverpool or pre-Ferguson Man United. I struggle to think how they can get past Man City, Liverpool, Man United and Chelsea at the same time over the next four years, which they will most likely have to do in order to win the title - probably meaning that their current title drought will last for twenty years at least.

Man for man, I think this team is Liverpool's best in last thirty years. Stevie and Suarez still walk into it easily (as far as I'm concerned, they walk into every PL side I've seen) and maybe Mascherano for his destructive capacity. Otherwise, the rest of the starting XI have no competition for form they've shown since 2017. In terms of squad depth, it's a different thing, I'd have to think about it at length.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
To be honest, this reminded me a lot of Liverpool fans, especially myself, raising five fingers at every Man United fan out there after every defeat, all while we were going through one of the worst trophy droughts the club has suffered in its history.
This reminded me of that link @Arminius provided to a cartoon in the Guardian in light of the winning the league and the "Barren 30 years of unparallelled misery" where we still won 17 trophies during that period. :ROFLMAO:

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member

I don't think it pisses all over it; Cole, Keown, Ljungberg, Bergkamp, Henry, Campbell, Vieira are all worldclass.

Would be a good game between them and this Liverpool team. (They also had Toure.. Legend..)

Let's face it they've achieved fuck all since so whilst their banner is pathetic we've held on to Istanbul since 2005 till last season (thank you Klopp!)

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
My brain hurts trying to think of a best ever Liverpool XI lineup with this current team....For so many years players that seemed immovable from that side are now struggling to make it past some of the current lads - for example, Steve Nicol one of our greatest defenders on either flank and someone i always thought there would be room for.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
@Dane, no Stevie? Is there a particular reason for that? Obviously, I'm too young to remember vast majority of these players but from video clips and interviews with former players and fans, I never got the impression that anyone other than Souness came close to him in terms of quality and "completeness" in central midfield. In fact, I never got the impression that Liverpool have ever had a better player bar Kenny!