Is this our best-ever transfer window?

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad.
It has to be doesn't it?

Can't think of a better one in living memory. The summer of 1987 is the one that still sticks in my mind due to the brilliance of Barnes and Beardsley, and Ray Houghton was a decent buy to, but this is more comprehensive, it's been an awesome window so far hasn't it? FSG are doing the business and it's about time Michael Edwards had his own unlocked thread I feel ;-)

So far we have:

Naby Keita

Fabinho

Shaqiri

Alisson

Possibly/probably Fekir or an alternative no 10 to come

So, what does everyone think? Is this our best window ever or not?

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
Thread closed. Like with the Edwards thread, we don't want to jinx what remains to be done for this window in order to become an exceptional one.

(It will be re-opened at the end of our transfer business, because it's a good discussion topic. But for the time being, it's still very much about ifs).

dockers_strike

No not yet because they havent delivered but Id say could very well be. Id say 86-87 was the best bits of transfer although there was no window in them days.

As Allisson is now in the bag, it's my pleasure to reopen this thread! :-)
Still need to close the thread. We will know only by the end of the season - how successful the signings have been. It's really pre mature to celebrate now - the window is not even closed. Just don't jinx it guys.

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
I'd like to see if we get anyone else in over the next few weeks before declaring anything, but suffice to say that even if this is it I can't recall any better summer windows for us.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Depends if your being very loose with interpretation. Arguably we 'signed' Keita last summer, and let's face it, did ALL the groundwork for VVD too, hence it being done as soon as the January window opened.

Salah, Robertson, Ox, Solanke, Keita and VVD was a better window than this one (so far).

If you're not counting VVD and Keita, well I still think it's a draw.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
Yep and we also need to see who goes. We should reflect on 10 August and then again next year.
By the way, will you revive your famous annual thread, mate? That was quite useful to identify who among us are potential Twentymans and who not. :-)

And yeah, agree that it's on August 10 and even more next May that we will know if this transfer window is a success or not. But it's fair to say that the club has made a serious statement of intent with the incoming transfers so far. I just hope that the expectation-levels among fans will stay realistic. All these new lads will need time to bed in (new club, new country and league for most of them).

kwala

TIA Regular
1987 was pretty special! Barnes, Beardsley, Houghton, Aldridge. The football those 4 played was unbelievable, and they backed it up with trophies. Baring 2 freak games 1988 Cup final, and Arsenal 1989 league game they would have won back to back league and FA cup doubles!

Let's see what this group perform like, and deliver in the trophy cabinet before declaring it the greatest ever!

It is certainly seriously exciting to be a Liverpool fan right now! On paper this looks likely to be the best team we have had since those days when we were clearly the best.

Kopstar

★★★★★
By the way, will you revive your famous annual thread, mate? That was quite useful to identify who among us are potential Twentymans and who not. :-)

And yeah, agree that it's on August 10 and even more next May that we will know if this transfer window is a success or not. But it's fair to say that the club has made a serious statement of intent with the incoming transfers so far. I just hope that the expectation-levels among fans will stay realistic. All these new lads will need time to bed in (new club, new country and league for most of them).
I will Hope, I have last year's to catch up on and dish out the awards. Will do that shortly I hope.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
1987 was pretty special! Barnes, Beardsley, Houghton, Aldridge. The football those 4 played was unbelievable, and they backed it up with trophies. Baring 2 freak games 1988 Cup final, and Arsenal 1989 league game they would have won back to back league and FA cup doubles!

Let's see what this group perform like, and deliver in the trophy cabinet before declaring it the greatest ever!

It is certainly seriously exciting to be a Liverpool fan right now! On paper this looks likely to be the best team we have had since those days when we were clearly the best.
That was an ok-ish window I guess, but it has nothing on 1981-82 when we signed Craig Johnston.

Oh, we also signed Grobbelaar, Nicol and Lawrenson who all turned out to be ok players for us. lol

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
This is by far the best transfer window since “transfer windows” actually began.

But it also shows that Klopp has been working on some players for a long time before they are able to move - keita and vvd showed this.

I also believe Shaqiri is a master stroke. I reckon a lot of teams were after him at £13m (less than Jordan Ibe) and says a lot that he came to us.

Boss window for me.

richieh10

This has the potential to be the best window.

We shall see but we’ve certainly had worse

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Transfer window success can only be judged when the players purchased turn up and live up to their billings. So far we have pretty much addressed the areas we needed to cover, and it is now down to the manager/coaches and the players to make it work. If everyone we bought live up to their potential and ability, then yes this would be a very good window.

But if you judge based on purchases and how much we have spent - this is by far the most we've ever spent without having to sell in a single window.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad.
87 was good too, Barnes Beardsley and Aldo
It was Barnes, Beardsley and Houghton I believe. Still don't think that's as good as this window will turn out to be. We have signed top quality players who are too good to fail. Can see Keita being sensational for us.

Aldridge was signed in January I think.

Incognito

The Normal One
I thought the one in which we got Suarez to play alongside Torres was going to be good till that lad put in transfer request on the last day.

I though previous one might be good, till Coutinho decided to hand in transfer request a day before the season started.

I'll wait at least till it closes this time to judge further, although I do not fear the same that much this time around. There will be lot of movement mostly in outgoings I presume, so still time to judge the transfer window completely IMO. And ofcourse the factor of how the signings actually perform. So far so good though! Lot of positive vibes :well done::rolleyes:

It was Barnes, Beardsley and Houghton I believe. Still don't think that's as good as this window will turn out to be. We have signed top quality players who are too good to fail. Can see Keita being sensational for us.

Aldridge was signed in January I think.
Houghton was in the first game at Highbury, we won 2-1, where all three combined.

Aldo debuted 24 Oct 1987

Last edited:

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad.
Houghton was in the first game at Highbury, we won 2-1, where all three combined.

Aldo debuted 24 Oct 1987
Just read that he signed 27th January 1987.

Remember that game well, didn't we go on an unbeaten run, 29 games wasn't it? Loved that season, loved Barnesy and Beardsley together, shame it didn't last long heh?

Last edited:
Just read that he signed 27th January 1987.

Remember that game well, didn't we go on an unbeaten run, 29 games wasn't it? Loved that season, loved Barney and Beardsley together, shame it didn't last long heh?
Ah thats why you remembered the winter.

Yes all Kenny's doing too. Great season and run until 89. Actually think I need to revise my best ever LFC players top 30 and put Kenny back on top; I had Gerrard :shocked: and omitted to remember, Kenny not only played and won, he managed / played and won too!! Der.........

YeGra

Since I was born in 91, my memory of transfer windows only stretches to the start of the century.

Its certainly the best transfer window in my limited memory. We have been so efficient at filling needed positions.

It is kind of exaggerated as in terms of groundwork, Keita was signed up last summer. But in terms of additions in what we will have going into this season compared to last is unbelievable.

Good quality keeper, DM and CM done and dusted. Shaqiri is an absolute bargain. It's not just who we've signed but how we've signed them as well. Fabinho is the best out of the lot as no one saw it coming. But even Shaqiri and Alisson have been signed with very little fuss.

We've clearly upped our game. The only downer is the failed Fekir signing but that is because of circumstances beyond our control and doesn't reflect badly on how we've gone about our business.

What's more is our rivals in comparison haven't come close to matching us in productivity for transfers this summer. Much more optimism going into this season compared to last.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad.
Ah thats why you remembered the winter.

Yes all Kenny's doing too. Great season and run until 89. Actually think I need to revise my best ever LFC players top 30 and put Kenny back on top; I had Gerrard :shocked: and omitted to remember, Kenny not only played and won, he managed / played and won too!! Der.........
Its close but I think Stevie is our best-ever player, (Suarez has to be considered to doesn't he?) I really do, but I was always Dalglish when playing footy as a kid and my walls were mostly covered with posters of Kenny from Match and Shoot.

Its close but I think Stevie is our best-ever player, (Suarez has to be considered to doesn't he?) I really do, but I was always Dalglish when playing footy as a kid and my walls were mostly covered with posters of Kenny from Match and Shoot.
Yeah I had a rethink; if its solely playing then I probably have to agree with you. Not sure about Luis, he really angered me with the nibbling shite. I have him in the top 10; whereas Nando is 19 I think, for me.

But if we go on to win the Prem of CL this season I think this window will push as one of the best; I appreciate and idolise Firmino, but think sometimes he should score more. So I would expect on Klopps list is some relief at no 9, and of course, a 10. Absent Coutinho, whom I never really fawned over. Think we had Barca's pants down on that one, revenge for Mascherano who went for chips.

Noo Noo

King Kenny for me, all day long.