Is this our best-ever transfer window?

Red over the water

Best ever window?

The signings we’ve made certainly look the business, but I want to see what they do on the pitch over the season before saying best ever. At the least it’s up there though.

Also, there might be another to come, Fekir, Pulisic or someone like that. If that happens it strengthens the case for best ever, but again, let’s see what they do.

Finally, while we are expecting a number of departures with sales of fringe players and loans of youngsters, let’s just make sure there’s not a sting in the tail of this window with losing someone we would much rather keep (I don’t think there will be, but it’s not closed yet).

Maybe I’m being too miserable and I should be dancing by now! But them’s my thoughts.

K

Klopptinho

:think: best window of the premier league era would have to be signing Sami for .£3.5 million - the only trophy he didn't achieve with the club was the league title .

Uefa cup , Fa cup (twice) League cup ( twice) European cup, Uefa Super Cup .

what the players achieve at the end of their time with us is what counts .

Spitfire

Resident Realist
If you are looking at high profile signings and including the arrival of Keita, then on paper it looks pretty good.

Like anything with transfers give it a couple of years and see how we all feel about it.

Our last window we got Virgil and the one before that Mo Salah......this may not match for individual brillinace but mght make up for it in the dpeth added to the squad.

I think you have to say that the signings made in the past year (Salah, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Robertson, Van Dijk as well as this summer's marquee signings) have been superb.

In fact, I would wager that it may be our best year in terms of transfer activity, at least on paper, for as long as I can remember. That's not to say that it'll necessarily result in us doing well next season but on paper, with what we know so far, it seems very promising. I'm not too sure this transfer window can be labelled the best ever though, given the fact that we have had the likes of Suárez, Torres, Xabi Alonso in recent years and many legends prior to the Premier League era.

Neukolln

I think it will take some time to see how these signings contribute to determine if it was our "best" window ever. Two things to point out however:

First, the players signed were done strategically, with respect and regard to what was "missing" from the squad. By no means has JK and Edwards gone out and splashed cash on "names" just to appease the fanbase with little regard to what we already have. They also didn't settle for second or third choice players at a certain position. Klopp has show a willingness, bordering on stubbornness, to get the player he feels fits best. That is a man that believes in his vision of this project.

The second point, and probably most impressive from my perspective, is that the money JK is spending is revenue that he himself could be seen as responsible for generating through his success as our leader. The revenue from the Champions League run and the sale of Coutinho, Klopp has personally underwritten the majority of his own incoming players. He didn't go to management and ask for money in advance to potentially mortgage his own future as manager, as most are inclined to do. I know I am oversimplifying a bit, but it shouldn't go unnoticed.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Didn't know where to put this... but as it's related to our 4 signings so far, I'll put it here.

Our 4 players we've brought in so far carry 21 senior medals with them (of course, of various levels/importance and them playing various parts of it).

Think Shaqiri has just overtook Milner as our player who has won the most so far in his career. lol

Chewbazza

True Believer
Assuming no more incomings, probably 6/10. It may seem a bit low but I don't count Keita as this window, Fab is a good buy but not a priority for what we needed but we didn't fully address the issues around CB, CAM, Winger/Forward.

However, if Clyne's return allows for Jomez to play in the middle exclusively, or if Phillips can become an option and IF Sturridge can keep fit, then makes up for a lot of the shortfall and puts it at 8/10

Last edited:

Witt

Assuming no more incomings, probably 6/10. It may seem a bit low but I don't count Keita as this window, Fab is a good buy but not a priority for what we needed but we didn't fully address the issues around CB, CAM, Winger/Forward.

However, if Clyne's return allows for Jomez to play in the middle exclusively and IF Sturridge can keep fit, then makes up for a lot of the shortfall and puts it at 8/10
How's Fabinho not a priority when we've been waiting for a DM for ages ?
Also, Keita counts as this window to me since he wasn't in the team before this summer.

I do think that we should have had a CAM and possibly a DC for the window to be perfect, but for now, I'd give it at least an 8. Top GK, top DM, top CM and a more than capable "super-sub" for just £13M. That's top notch.

Incognito

The Normal One
The best part about the window was how we got the business done early. Watching the other clubs now struggle at this last juncture makes it even more commendable. Excellent job by everyone involved in that aspect.

Well begun is half done. Now to turn all of this into results to make it even more worthwhile.:well done:

K

Klopptinho

The best part about the window was how we got the business done early. Watching the other clubs now struggle at this last juncture makes it even more commendable. Excellent job by everyone involved in that aspect.

Well begun is half done. Now to turn all of this into results to make it even more worthwhile.:well done:
worrying thing about his window is that Barca , real , psg etc haven't even entered the market yet properly . it's going to mean manning the cannos to blow the bastards out of the water until the end of august .

rupzzz

TIA Regular
All the potential to be the best - bettered by some of the other big clubs failing to make any substantial upgrades and/or have new managers so will need a bedding in period.

Don't see us bringing anyone in now, unless there's some mad Fekir show late on. Under Klopp we are yet to go mad on deadline day - all a lot more calculated from the club these days, sticking to guns etc.

JSD1

Am I right in thinking this is the first transfer window when our targets haven’t been also stalked by Tottenham (Rednapp’s dog must be asleep), Chelsea and MancU.
Joking aside great transfer window for us.

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
Am I right in thinking this is the first transfer window when our targets haven’t been also stalked by Tottenham (Rednapp’s dog must be asleep), Chelsea and MancU.
Chelsea wanted Alisson. I think it's a case of players now letting other prospective buyers know so early on that they're only interested in moving to us (Fekir another one, VVD and Keita before him) that it's effectively done and dusted before it can become an auction.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
Dunno how good this window will be compare to other ones but what I do know is that since Klopp took over we've been more sharp in the transfer market than ever, post EPL. Only Benitez comes close cause he could land big signings too but the consistency in the quality of player coming in now is without question the best piece of work done by the people responsible for making it happen. credit for that :well done:
(todays Inflated prices taken in count) I've always wanted us to act like this in the transfer market, only proven quality should be added, and don't settle for the second option too much if ever. I really enjoy watching us act in the tranfer market now and not sure I've ever felt that way before :-)

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !
Best in terms of at the date of buying... not quite but up there with some of the best.
Best in terms of what they did and won for the club- will only know with hinesight.

No one knew Miejer would not turn pout that good, or that Sami would be as great as he was.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
They know when they're beat.

Seriously I think this window in particular marks a major power shift towards us when it comes to transfers and our rivals. A few years back when we were in for players like Willian or Diego Costa or Sanchez you kind of knew that they wouldn't end up here. Now when we're in for a player I'm pretty confident we'll get him, regardless of who else might be sniffing around. Combination of the Klopp pull factor and us being so much more clued up when it comes to finalising deals.

Caradoc

Y Goeden Bywyd
This is what happened the last time we signed 2 midfielders, a winger and a Brazilian goalkeeper with a beard .......

One success out of four is not exactly a great return on your investment....... you have been warned ....... ! :shocked:

lol

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
This is what happened the last time we signed 2 midfielders, a winger and a Brazilian goalkeeper with a beard .......

One success out of four is not exactly a great return on your investment....... you have been warned ....... ! :shocked:

lol
We won the league cup.... this time maybe we can omit the word cup?

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Good window. Improved key areas and more importantly, the squad depth looks decent.
We have minimum 2 players in every position now:
GK: Alisson / Karus
RB: TAA/Clyne
CB: VVD & Lovrer / Matip, Gomez & Klavan
LB: Robertson / Moreno
DM: Fabinho / Henderson
CM: Wijnaldum / Milner
AM: Keita / Lallana
RW: Mane / Shaquiri
LW: Salah / Ox (injured)
CF: Firmino / Sturridge

Baring Ox who is injured for a long time, we have good depth. I won't be surprised if Origi gets another chance.
This is by far our strongest squad this decade and probably the most anticipated season in terms of expectations.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Just the way we should be doing our business. Small number of top quality players. Done early. Clearly addresses needs.

Shame we couldn’t get deals for some of the fringe lads, but there is still time for the European clubs to move.

K

Klopptinho

Just the way we should be doing our business. Small number of top quality players. Done early. Clearly addresses needs.

Shame we couldn’t get deals for some of the fringe lads, but there is still time for the European clubs to move.
ings stayed ?

dockers_strike

I think its been a good window overall. We did our business fairly early, got the keeper position sorted and we were not scrabbling around with a few hours to go. Shame the Fekir deal fell through, cannot see it being resurrected now though.

Personally, I think the idea of transfer windows is shit. It should be like it used to be in England years ago when you could buy and sell any time you wanted except for the last 6 to 8 weeks before season end when there were none allowed. Still think our best 'window' was back in the late 80's when the King bought Aldo, Digger and Beardo.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
Yiu can only judge a transfer window in hindsight, and only after 3 years.
Out of the 4 signings, Shakiri is backup, Fabinho is still an unknown, Keita looks promising, and Becker is still young ( De gea first season at utd was abysmal ) so I wont be surprised if it takes him a while to adjust.
Mu point being, this window was about taking a very good team and fine tuning it, making it better. This was not an overhaul summer where you changed the entire backbone of the team.
Can't really compare it to 87. Not now at least.

K

Klopptinho

If Saints get the paperwork done, but it’s only a loan.
i think he needs to play (obvious statement .) works hard when he gets a chance and they are missing a proper scorer .. he did excellent in a limited burnley side . would be a great loan move .

fingers crossed it happens !