Is this our best-ever transfer window?

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
i think he needs to play (obvious statement .) works hard when he gets a chance and they are missing a proper scorer .. he did excellent in a limited burnley side . would be a great loan move .

fingers crossed it happens !
Apparently it’s a loan with an obligation to pay £20m, although you’d imagine there’ll be outs in there around appearances and such

K

Klopptinho

Apparently it’s a loan with an obligation to pay £20m, although you’d imagine there’ll be outs in there around appearances and such
£20m is quite low in todays market . i'd have thought £25m with add ons but i guess i should take into account his injuries . 2 bad ones . he's better than shane long and more mobile than charlie austin .

if he does well he might reject the permanent move ? or you think that would have been sorted beforehand ?

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
£20m is quite low in todays market . i'd have thought £25m with add ons but i guess i should take into account his injuries . 2 bad ones . he's better than shane long and more mobile than charlie austin .

if he does well he might reject the permanent move ? or you think that would have been sorted beforehand ?
It apparently also includes a 20% sell-on fee clause which you'd imagine will boost the fee a little bit more eventually.

K

Klopptinho

It apparently also includes a 20% sell-on fee clause which you'd imagine will boost the fee a little bit more eventually.
in todays market if he scores 19 goals ? thats what he got for burnley ? (league) then he's worth £40m - £65m ? providing he replicates then there will be a clamour . so that could add a bit on . i bet theres a clause if he scores enough to get them europa league etc .

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
in todays market if he scores 19 goals ? thats what he got for burnley ? (league) then he's worth £40m - £65m ? providing he replicates then there will be a clamour . so that could add a bit on . i bet theres a clause if he scores enough to get them europa league etc .
Not sure where the 19 goals for Burnley came from, he scored 11 league goals in 35 games for them in their first PL season (he transferred to us at the end of that season). 21 in 40 in the Championship, but even Carroll scored goals in that league.

TBH given his injury record it seems a fair price. Saints are really gambling on his fitness, which given their other main striker is Austin has the potential to go wrong.

K

Klopptinho

Not sure where the 19 goals for Burnley came from, he scored 11 league goals in 35 games for them in their first PL season (he transferred to us at the end of that season). 21 in 40 in the Championship, but even Carroll scored goals in that league.

TBH given his injury record it seems a fair price. Saints are really gambling on his fitness, which given their other main striker is Austin has the potential to go wrong.
i must have had a bang on the head . i remember him scoring a few for burnley when they came up . i reckon he'll stay fit . he's not been unfit for a while.. just not good enough . writing on the wall when not selected for game v madrid .

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
yes best window for me just because of Alisson and Keita. both I think are world class players and will prove it this season when we challenge for the title and hopefully win it. they are both 2 players that could basically go and start for almost any team in the world together.. few exceptions... but yes... 2 players in one window of that class to complete the spine of Klopp's Liverpool. keep in mind those are both 2 players who easily go straight into the starting XI who just made the champions league final.

also, i believe this is the first time we improved our squad this much after having a good season. we didn't do business like this before when we made it to the champions league final previously imo ... this was different to me and we took a real advantage of it for once in getting 2 world class players this time along with a few other top players.

there is a reason many are picking us to be city's biggest challengers this season... that reason is because of our summer business that improved our weaknesses on the top of champions league final appearance

Last edited:

Kopstar

★★★★★
If we're judging based on transfer windows and, therefore, from the last 16 years, I'd have to say it looks the best but we'll have to see how it pans out in reality over the next twelve plus months. As for best transfers in a particular season I'd have to say no, for the time being.

jaffod

Decent window with the in-coming's and Clyne and Sturridge will be like 2 new signings. Disappointed we couldn't off-load any more deadwood, thought we'd get about £100 million back but only got decent money for Ward.

Red over the water

Very happy with our business this window. The only slight concern is that we didn’t add another for the final third, but looking at it now that the window has closed, I think the re-emergence of Sturridge and Lallana (with usual caveat to say while they are fit!) plus a talented player like Shaqiri eager to show what he can do, plus another youngster starting to emerge in Jones, meant that the manager was happy to go with what he has.

There will always be another window, and by the time it comes around we will see where we are, and where the likes of Pulisic, or Bailey, or whoever, might be.

In the meantime, the signings we DID make, plus the excellent players that were already here, means that every red is filled with hope for the season to come. Man City looked frighteningly good last season, but on the other hand, we bettered them more often than not head to head. Where they were relentless was in their consistency. The depth we now have should help us in that. And the quality we have should also help us secure more points against the other top teams, as that was a bit of a blip last season for once.

Bring it on. Can’t wait to begin!

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Now that the window is closed, so far it has been our biggest to date in terms of nett outlay with £158.3m for 4 players, which makes it a £40m average per player. We have the biggest window, and if the best is defined by the biggest spending then yes this is the best spending summer ever!

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Yep. Managed to get all our targets (barring Fekir , and that was only due to his injury cpncerns after terms had been agreed which forced liverpool to ditch altogether). Got 2 starters in Keita and Allison and the rest added in give us strength in depth which was sorely lacking last seasnon.

Shaqiri shows promise as does Fabinho.

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
Fantastic window for the club, best ever? Time will tell.

When the window opened I wanted to upgrade GK i thought it was our biggest weakness and we addressed that in spades with a world class talent in Alisson . Beyond that i thought we needed more depth and creativity in CM and we addressed that in spades too so I couldnt be happier with the window.

It would have been nice to grab Fekir of course and I do feel like we are a player short in the attacking areas espcially with Ox out for the season but Sturridge has had a brilliant pre-season so hopefully he and Lallana can fill the void.

Its a strange feeling going to deadline day knowing nobody else is coming in and not having any concerns about it. Nice feeling tbh.

Think we are in for a great season we have a brilliant squad and anything is possible just need to start well and stay within striking distance of City. They had virtually no pressure at all last season from Christmas onwards dfferent ball game if we are breathing down their necks. Roll on West Ham

RedForever2014

A different era, but for me the best ever window remains the year we signed Aldo, Barnes, Beardsley and Houghton.

We won the league twice in the next three years, plus an FA Cup, and went close via the FA Cup final defeat to Wimbledon and title loss to Arsenal, to what would have been three consecutive titles and back to back doubles.

The last three windows have been really positive, all since we got back into the CL, showing what an affect it has.

I'm not as orgasmic about this window as some, I think one has to consider that we lost Coutinho, Can and now Oxlade (for now) over the past twelve months and were arguably a player or two short (VVD and Keita) at the start of last season, having sold a centre back and midfielder last summer and having tried to bring VVD/Keita in then.

Put Oxlade back in as he's still ours, and we've replaced Can with Fabinho and Coutinho with Keita and invested in upgrading the keeper plus adding a good 4th forward. But in my opinion we're Fekir short of what we needed.

I'll take that at face value, hope it wasn't either Fekir or Alisson, and pray that maybe Fekir will arrive in January on a deal we find palatable in light of his injury record, and given his contract will be further reduced.

The window is still open for outgoings, and what happens before 31/8 needs to be considered as part of the assessment.

I'm hoping we only sell the likes of Origi, Migs, Markovic, Ojo on top of Ings and Ward, and maybe loan Grujic and/or Solanke.

Ideally we'd keep Grujic and Solanke until January, to cover the intense autumn and help us attack the League Cup, sign Fekir in January and loan them out then depending on the injury situation at the time.

We have a lot of injury prone players and so we need Lallana, Gini, all the centre backs, Clyne and arguably Moreno and I hope we don't get tempted to net down by selling them. The net spend in 2018 has been £70m, before we sell anyone else, less than the CL money, so it's not like we should need to compromise on players who can be used to attack the different competitions.

The defence has been improved by VVD and the new keeper and it's kind of right to take stock before overhauling it next summer. We know Klavan is getting near the end, whilst Moreno needs replacing by someone better as deputy left back. We need to see whether Lovren is more consistent with a full season alongside VVD and with a better keeper and midfield, we need to see how Clyne is after his year out, and whether Gomez kicks on as a centre back to become the level we need there. We also need to see whether Matip can stay fit and is the level we need. I hope Philips really comes through as a good 3rd or 4th option.

We now need to kick on and establish ourselves as a club that wins things and is in the CL more often than not. We also need to show that we constantly improve the squad and fight tooth and nail to keep our top players over the coming years.

The comparison with the late 80s is useful in terms of intent. We used the Rush money to reinvent ourselves, but then we kept the players signed until they were no longer useful, the Beardsley one being the only debatable one.

We need this squad to largely stay together for 4 or 5 years, with a final weeding out of Rodgers era players who aren't good enough this summer and next, the integration of any young players who are good enough, the addition of a couple of quality players in midfield and attack to replace those who may leave over the coming years (Fekir and Pulisic for Sturridge and Milner), and some overhauling of the defensive squad.

Last edited:

Red over the water

Good post above. I would say we let Beardsley go too soon, and then Aldridge too, probably, though that’s not as strong a case to make as once Rushie returned he was always going to get the nod, but Aldo scored goals at a good level after he left us.

Well, for like the 20th transfer window in a row, we failed to sign Snoogy Doogy. But if you're willing to overlook that, I'd say this has been a pretty awesome summer. Sunday can't get here fast enough.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
While it is still premature to give verdict on the signings, as far as expectations go and addressing weakness in the squad, signings were spot on.
A transfer window is also measured regarding who leaves, selling Ings at the last minute was important and we go t a very good price for him. Ward to Leicester also a good sell. loaning out all the young kids ( Wilson, Kent, Ejaria, Woodburn ) was excellent as well.
I assume from the clubs point of view, the remaining objectives for the transfer window are selling Origi, Markovic and Migs/Karius ( funny how our 3rd keeper was sold so fast and for a nice sum, and there is little interest in our 1st / 2nd GK ). Since the market in Europe only closes at the end of the month, they can still be sold.
If they are sold that will mean that the club/transfer committee reached all it's objectives. Which is all you can really ask for.

Claymenza

Well, for like the 20th transfer window in a row, we failed to sign Snoogy Doogy. But if you're willing to overlook that, I'd say this has been a pretty awesome summer. Sunday can't get here fast enough.
Snoogy doogy, probably the greatest name for a recruitment strategy you can think of, courtesy of the previous ownership

So far the transfers have been a disappointment. We are relying on last seasons players.

Keita, we waited a long time for this one. Thankfully I ignored all the hype about him even so his rare appearances have been disappointing. Even when he gets a chance I hardly see him.
Shaquiri rarely seen looks really enthusiastic when he gets a chance but getting replaced after 45 mins doesn't look good.
Fabino did he arrive? It looked like he was with us during preseason then disappeared. Should be up with the system and he's hardly going to get match fit where ever he is.
Allison very pleased with this one really doing what is needed and I can see him at least on the occasions the opposition manage to get close to our goal.

The thing is Milner and Henderson are just getting better and better and defensively cover Wijnaldum and Salah, Phenomenal!

Saw a strange thing when Milner came on for Shaquiri against Saints. Wijnaldum initially took the 10 spot and just drifted about looking for space (the opposite to Shaquiri who looked to make himself available to receive the ball). Strange because Wijnaldum really looked a natural in that role and despite just roaming about to find space he was effective (Henderson seemed to find him quite regularly). As you might guess it's not a style I am a big fan of, I like players getting involved, however Wijnaldum does it very well. My biggest gripe over this would be that we already carry Salah and carrying a second player defensively would be too much against the 'better' teams. Even if Milner and Henderson can do an excellent job and our defense looks like they have been playing together for a decade.

YeGra

Keita, we waited a long time for this one. Thankfully I ignored all the hype about him even so his rare appearances have been disappointing. Even when he gets a chance I hardly see him.
Shaquiri rarely seen looks really enthusiastic when he gets a chance but getting replaced after 45 mins doesn't look good.
Fabino did he arrive? It looked like he was with us during preseason then disappeared. Should be up with the system and he's hardly going to get match fit where ever he is.

Keita has been a mixed bag so far. Just because he's started a bit quiet doesn't mean he will carry on. He's been decent just not spectacular.

Your comment on Shaqiri baffles me. He looked the most enthusiastic player on the pitch against Southampton and effectively got two assists for his efforts.

Fabinho hasn't started but Robertson barely did for the entire first half of last season, then soon became the best LB in the league. Patience is needed with him, and Keita.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
We are expecting way too much from the players we bought. It’s only been a bloody month and a half into the season. I can never say it’s the best transfer window as I can’t say it’s not working either. Wait till end of the season then we can truly grade them all. Keita is new to the league, it took Oxlade-Chamberlain a good half a season to get his feet right. Give them time. Being one of the harshest critic and never an optimist, I am more than willing to wait before I throw the hammer down on our summer transfer activity.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
So far the transfers have been a disappointment. We are relying on last seasons players.

Allison very pleased with this one really doing what is needed and I can see him at least on the occasions the opposition manage to get close to our goal.

The thing is Milner and Henderson are just getting better and better and defensively cover Wijnaldum and Salah, Phenomenal!

Saw a strange thing when Milner came on for Shaquiri against Saints. Wijnaldum initially took the 10 spot and just drifted about looking for space (the opposite to Shaquiri who looked to make himself available to receive the ball). Strange because Wijnaldum really looked a natural in that role and despite just roaming about to find space he was effective (Henderson seemed to find him quite regularly). As you might guess it's not a style I am a big fan of, I like players getting involved, however Wijnaldum does it very well. My biggest gripe over this would be that we already carry Salah and carrying a second player defensively would be too much against the 'better' teams. Even if Milner and Henderson can do an excellent job and our defense looks like they have been playing together for a decade.
Its like going back to the good olds days where you spend a season or 2 with the reserves learning about what it is to play for Liverpool FC, learn the systems and make your grade before you can step up to the 1st team.

Klopp is educating Fabinho, and has used Keita quite a bit - but also easing him in - and Shaqiri looks like he's going to be explosive, once he gets a run.

Its only Alisson who seems like he's been our keeper forever already!

We are expecting way too much from the players we bought. It’s only been a bloody month and a half into the season. I can never say it’s the best transfer window as I can’t say it’s not working either. Wait till end of the season then we can truly grade them all. Keita is new to the league, it took Oxlade-Chamberlain a good half a season to get his feet right. Give them time. Being one of the harshest critic and never an optimist, I am more than willing to wait before I throw the hammer down on our summer transfer activity.
That's why I said 'so far'. ;-)

Your comment on Shaqiri baffles me. He looked the most enthusiastic player on the pitch against Southampton and effectively got two assists for his efforts.
I said he was enthusiastic when he gets his chances and as I said he was taken off after 45 mins what's baffling about that?

YeGra

I said he was enthusiastic when he gets his chances and as I said he was taken off after 45 mins what's baffling about that?
Ahh I misread what you put about Shaqiri. I didn't see the word seen so read it as Shaqiri rarely looks enthusiastic. My bad. lol