• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Is this the start of a new golden era?

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
So, we are champions of Europe, number 6 is in the bag and just how wonderful does it feel? Love it!

European Cup winners.

What a relief for Jurgen after losing his previous 6 finals. We are back on our perch in Europe and not far away domestically. More points than any LFC team before. Now that the monkey is off his back and his first LFC trophy has been won will this just be the start of a long trophy haul? There's the massive obstacle that is Man City but this side is young, there is plenty of room for further development and improvement and FSG seem very willing to invest in addition to having the best manager in the world. We have some more opportunities for trophies coming up. There is the FA Community Shield, UEFA Super Cup, FIFA Club World Cup coming and we'll go again be strong in the league and CL next season.

So, what does everyone think? Is this just the start of a trophy haul?

Last edited:

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
All I can say is I hope so.
There have been many false dawns at this club since 1990 so I’m going to walk into the next season with optimism and hope but also with a hint of realism. We are, after all, up against a monstrous opposition, the likes not seen before in the history of English football.
So yeah, I think we can march forward, but let’s be wary of the army that wait on the other side of the hill.

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
You are right, we face a monstrous side in Citeh, but I don't believe they look forward to playing us; as past results can point to. We have the evil eye on them -- and they know it. It's just that we are let down by other clubs in the league who seem to roll over and run scared of this shitty team. Saying that, league success is in our hands, as it should always be, and not rely on other sides doing the business for us. A couple more good additions to our squad strength and we will give that moneybags Manchester club a run for their money. I'm looking at us winning the Prem title next season - I wonder what the odds are of us doing that?

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
You are right, we face a monstrous side in Citeh, but I don't believe they look forward to playing us; as past results can point to. We have the evil eye on them -- and they know it. It's just that we are let down by other clubs in the league who seem to roll over and run scared of this shitty team. Saying that, league success is in our hands, as it should always be, and not rely on other sides doing the business for us. A couple more good additions to our squad strength and we will give that moneybags Manchester club a run for their money. I'm looking at us winning the Prem title next season - I wonder what the odds are of us doing that?
Actually I was thinking that the other day. The amount of teams that fielded a weakened team against city last year was shameful.
Hopefully, with us as European champions, teams will look at us and think they have no chance so play their kids and fringe players instead.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Perhaps not serial winners, but hopefully we have a few years ahead of us when we can be at least highly competitive and grab a trophy here and there. Fight for the league until the last games, reach the last stages in Europe and one of the cups here and there. Pick up a trophy per season let's say, that should be the target, although of course, we know the priorities (which can also change during a season). Apart from that on the pitch, keep growing the club off the pitch. Kirkby, the new (possibly) Nike deal, Annie Road development, whatever else. Keep going in this direction, this is not our peak yet.

peter roberts

On the Celtic Ray
As to it being the start of a new golden era , only time will tell and the coming season is probably going to give us some clues. I've no doubt that we are going to be picking up more trophies with Jurgen but can we go head to head with City again (and hopefully surpass them) over the entirety of another season ? In the end we all know that winning the League again is the most important thing for this club. Recent close finishes have been followed by abject failure , and while I can't see that happening under Jurgen finding a way to better Guardiola's side over 38 games might prove beyond us. They've already shown that their season of 100 pts was no fluke so realistically we need to be as good or even better than last year to challenge them. Failing that , we can all hope they get kicked out the CL for cheating and Pep rediscovers his conscience and fucks off somewhere else. Then we really would be set fair on the road to glory.

Last edited:

Danny_

So, we are champions of Europe, number 6 is in the bag and just how wonderful does it feel? Love it!

European Cup winners.

What a relief for Jurgen after losing his previous 6 finals. We are back on our perch in Europe and not far away domestically. More points than any LFC team before. Now that the monkey is off his back and his first LFC trophy has been won will this just be the start of a long trophy haul? There's the massive obstacle that is Man City but this side is young, there is plenty of room for further development and improvement and FSG seem very willing to invest in addition to having the best manager in the world. We have some more opportunities for trophies coming up. There is the FA Community Shield, UEFA Super Cup, FIFA Club World Cup coming and we'll go again be strong in the league and CL next season.

So, what does everyone think? Is this just the start of a trophy haul?
Lets hope so. In order for it to be a new golden era, we have to dominate. That is so much more difficult nowadays with all the oil baron clubs buying the title. The odds are stacked against us but we have an amazing manager who has created a fantastic team. I wouldn't write him off just yet.

jayrrardno8

TIA Reserve Team
I just hope we push on from here.
As with 2005 / 06 we were really on a Crest of a wave champions league no 5 , FA cup winners.
Yet we stayed still or went backwards mostly down to owners in house fighting not willing back with cash for quality players.
Bringing in better sponsorship deals marketing such like and stadium expansion.
So now we really are in a suppierer position do something special.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
Yes. That is what is most special about this champions league win. It wasn’t luck, it wasn’t fluke. We are not losing any key players this summer. Our owners are not infighting.... so everything set for this to be a springboard.

Look at our competitors - both Chelsea and city have complicated legal cases about fair play. Spurs have this new stadium to pay for, and a bit of a thin squad, Arsenal and united have much to do to get their squads upto level...

This is the best position our club has been in since the eighties... but it’s up to the club to move onwards.

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !
I think the new era has already started. This is the silverware culmination of the building of the last 2/3 years. You dont get to the top without the work to get there. It was the same for Shanks great teams.
As for next season- We will certainly be up there with a shout in every cup we go in for. It just depends on the strength of the opposition, injuries, bad refs and luck. City cant get better !! manu are a few years behind, Arsenal are out of the CL and rebuilding, cheslski with 2x transfer ban and at spurs I think the balloon will burst-players are leaving and they wont be as good next season- that just leaves LFC and Manc, plus maybe a surprise package? well, the two of us were so far ahead of 3rd it will take some bridging.
I think the future looks very bright. Some of our younger players and going to more from good to world class this year, there might be Woodburn or Brewster may be a surprise package, or anyone of 5 other players knocking at the door- add 1/2 transfers and we are a settled team with a few tweeks, oh and the reigning European Champions !

Nur der BvB09

Well me thinking back in 2015 where i saw us being Fighting for top 4 as top target and now... .
I want the Thank FSG for bringing Klopp in. The most significant year was for me the 2015-2016. That Europa league finale showed everything this Club always stand for(thanks to the Kop) european Pedigree. Imo the whole Club is moving in the Right direction. Just to be competitive realisticwise Fighting for the League and Champions League are the big Targets the Team must reach/repeat . Football like everything in life moves on. Winning the League it ll be what i want to see as the most significant Goal to reach next Season. If that happen ( no matter how), than i ll call it pefect and start thinking About a Dynasty. Klopp is not the first Manager this Club ever had and ll not be the last one but whoever Comes after him has to make shure that like Klopp nowadays first comes the Club ,Fans then the rest.
Klopp has started his Golden Era for me personally from the day 1 he was apointed as LFC Manager where he send us all that simple goldendust massage" we have to turn from doubters to beleavers now".

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
The short-term issue is City or more accurately Pep Guardiola. For as long as he is City manager it will be tough domestically for us. Even if they have their wings clipped over FFP they will still have a very strong squad and an exceptional manager. That we are even competing with them in the league is testimony to what a great job JK has done. Our best chance of honours remains the CL because City seem to have a mental block in that competition and JK has made us unbeatable over two legs.

Longer term, 5-10 years, depends very much on how long JK stays. There wasn't much evidence pre-JK's arrival that we had a well-oiled machine that just required a bit of tinkering. If he can be persuaded to stay longer than the 3 years he has left on his contract I'd be very confident about a golden era. If not then it depends who comes in and under what circumstances. At the moment I'm just enjoying it all while it lasts.

NaturalNine

TIA New Signing
The short-term issue is City or more accurately Pep Guardiola. For as long as he is City manager it will be tough domestically for us. Even if they have their wings clipped over FFP they will still have a very strong squad and an exceptional manager. That we are even competing with them in the league is testimony to what a great job JK has done. Our best chance of honours remains the CL because City seem to have a mental block in that competition and JK has made us unbeatable over two legs.
I really can't agree any more with you here. I think it's phenomenal that we managed to stay close to them through the entire season the way we did. Until the football gods think of some way to handle City's (and PSG's, etc) money is no object state backing, we're going to have the odds stacked against us in a league competition.

A cup competition, on the other hand... :cheers:

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Pound for pound, citeh have a stronger squad than ours. Not something that can't be overcome though.

But I've faced false dawns before and will be realistic

Obanite

Full time coo
I've said it to many pals: finishing 2nd with 97 points (!) is the most Liverpool thing ever. But my instinct is that under Klopp we will win at least one title, yes. We have a strong core and a relatively young squad. I expect City to have a slight dip as they transition to the next generation as likes of Silva, Kompany etc. move on.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I do think the monkey is off the back of the squad and manager now, that's what makes me hopeful that this is the start. If it is the high point then at least we won the biggest cup.

I feel some of our performances last season were woeful in the run in (Then again so were City's), but that was down to the pressure, the pressure to walk away with nothing and I do agree with many of the pundits it could have been quite destructive. Our best performance was against Barca in the second leg, which was oddly just do your best scenario, even the players couldn't believe it, and thankfully not one of them thought about it til that whistle went, as if they had one may have made a mistake, Anfield was also a massive help in that.

That pressure has lifted a bit, yes we enter the 30th year without winning the title but that 6th European Cup will have improved some players just by winning it, the believe you can do it as opposed to knowing you've done it, is massive.

Personally I do think this is the start, but we will only know in say 5-10 years. I just hope we are not reflecting on another false dawn, I have to say it feels different this time, there is no one in that starting line up that before the final you would have said, how the hell do they deserve to win this cup. Klopp has a summer of taking the club up a level, not like others before him who had to at least half rebuild.

On our day I will say we have very few weaknesses, I can't say that about a Liverpool team in my lifetime of supporting them, which is 1993 onwards.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
We have just won 1 trophy - so all this talk about golden era are premature imho. I mean that's just the SECOND trophy we have won in this entire decade, the first being courtesy of the King.
First let's win community shield and club world Cup. That should bring more winners mentality to the club.

Red over the water

We seem better placed for a sustained challenge for the biggest prizes than at any other time since our last golden era. We’re not there yet, and we need to win the league and a few more trophies, but the signs are good that we are right in the mix.

How long is an era? That’s another question. I’d like Klopp to sign another deal, and ideally we will discover some sort of managerial dynasty again. I’m not sure that we will ever see four successive managers win trophies with the aplomb of Shanks, Paisley, Fagan and Dalglish; but I’d be happy with an extended deal for Klopp, and then for his successor to rack up trophies like Paisley did. I wouldn’t want to be accused of being greedy, so we can look at this again in 2030, after we’ve swept all before us for a decade or more.

RedForever2014

Klopp staying for another 5 to 6 years is key to us winning multiple trophies, both with the current squad and then morphing it into a legacy squad to leave behind.

We can win a title (ideally two to match United) and at least one more CL (ideally two to take us beyond AC Milan) if he stays that long.
Ideally we'd also win one other trophy a season from the two domestic cups and any Community Shield, Super Cup, World Club Cup matches, so our overall haul makes us England's most successful club again.

We can do this despite City's financial strength and the European powers all investing a lot in net terms each season, but we have to box clever and be prepared to invest as much as possible ourselves.

The starting point is to keep our best players though their highest valuation points to the latter end of their peak playing years.

We also need to add a couple of quality ready made players each summer for the top of the squad,
do a bit of 'moneyball' with secondary players like Shaqiri (acquiring a player cheap or free, using them for a year or two then rinse at a profit and repeat), and develop youth using the loan system.

Craig_Johnston

If Klopp signs an extension to 2024 I think we can really start being optimistic, but if he leaves in 22 as per his current deal I don't know how we'd even begin to replace him

Kazemagicsg

The best is yet to come ⚽ 6 times cl wins
If klopp extend his deal to 2025, then yes we will win more titles hoping for at least 2 more cl titles and 3 epl titles

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
The key thing that I'd like to see Klopp do (in order for this truly be a golden era) is have a succession plan for him leaving. What I mean by this is bring the 'Boot Room" back - Shanks to Paisley to Fagan to Kenny etc.

If, for example, Pep Linders is being groomed to take over - if/when Klopp leaves, everything else stays the same. It could even be Stevie, but I'd like him to be assistant for a season under Klopp before taking over. The key thing with this is that there is stability in the coaching teams, and obviously in recruitment etc.

If Klopp can leave our club with some sort of succession, then this really could be the start - as it is in such good shape all round.