Jürgen Klopp: 2016-17

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by El Dorado, Jul 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve_LFC

Steve_LFC Well-Known Member

This off-season is huge for us. Like we have said many years in a row. But its equally or greater for Klopp. We all love him and glad he is here. We made good progress under his leadership... But he doesn't have much excuses anymore for poor showings in the season to come. For both Him and the owners said there is money for transfers. We have champions league to offer. Pay good wages. And Klopp has has had nearly 2 seasons to put his philosophy and stamp on team.

I personally feel with the right transfers there could be a legitimate title run next season. We did well with the injuries down the stretch and especially no Mane.

The pressure is on Klopp.

2. Ʒan

Ʒan Well-Known Member

Legitimately, I would take another fourth place next season. This club hasn't really proven they can be consistently good yet. Heck, we have been 8th place a couple of seasons which is just downright embarrassing. So we are coming from a long way behind and as such, I am looking for baby steps. Two solid seasons in a row would be a great achievement IMO. So yes, this summer window is very important as we need better squad depth and a couple of tweaks to the first 11. A title run for me would be nothing short of fantastic.

3. Steve_LFC

Have to aim high mate... during this last season many reminded me ( rather argued) of our league position of being in first place @ xmas and if it wasnt for key injuries and absences at a crucial time, we would of been right there with the likes of Tottenham and Chelsea. What has changed? Hanging around with those two means we are in a title race.

Its either we are good enough but lacked depth or we are not good enough period.

The former means some key transfers to first 11 and bench would put us in contention.

The latter means 2-3 years later we might have a shot.

I believe in the former. Now Klopp needs to deliver.

While I like the notion of baby steps. I feel the aim should be the title every year and Top 4 as a consolation prize.

Young_kennedy2 likes this.
  4. Chewbazza

Chewbazza True Believer

To be fair there is plenty that will change. Firstly we'll hopefully have a European campaign to contend with. Secondly, while we had good results against the top teams this year, they will all be working to improve themselves and come September there will be five other teams who will consider themselves title contenders. Thirdly we'll be making changes ourselves and while the obvious hope is that we will improve, there are no guarantees in football and perhaps the addition of a player or two upsets the dynamic that worked well? Nobody knows at this stage.

I get the feeling sometimes that the league is looked at as static and predictable while simultaneously thinking that winning a game is more complicated than it is.

Put out the best 11 players that you can with the right tactics and you will probably win the game. Do that 38 times and you've won the league. However 19 other teams are also continually trying to get better and get as many points as they can.

Yes as fans we can hope and believe for a title. For Klopp I just think he has to try and improve the team from last year and try and get as many points as possible. I don't think at this stage it's helpful to demand ultimatums like now Klopp must deliver, as if there's the chance he'll be sacked if we only finish 3rd.

I just don't see why we can't hope for the title but also have a little patience, support the team, give the new signings a chance to settle before writing them off and see where we end up.

Maria, Red_Jedi, Etipafilaf and 10 others like this.
  5. Steve_LFC

Well put response. I am though not giving Klopp an ultimatum or even remotely implying that he has a chance to or should be sacked should things not go well. Only saying that transfer wise, there is some pressure to bring in some quality to help us make that extra step forward. Especially given statements of funds being available and having CL.
    Klopp was active in only 1of 3 Windows. So I have high expectations of him in this summer's window.

Red_Jedi, Scott Jones and Chewbazza like this.
  6. Eintrachtfan

Eintrachtfan The convinced one

Hit the nail on the head.
    Wish more people here would share your opinion

7. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Klopp is not kidding is he when he said he wants big imposing centre halves. Lovren is not small, standing at 6'2" and now we are about to sign another stood at 6'4" and we already have Matip with a 6'5" in height. No way in hell we could not win defensive or attacking headers against other teams.....

redfanman and Red_Jedi like this.
  8. Red_Jedi

Red_Jedi Anfield kick about

I agree with your thinking.

Another way of looking at it is to look at the competition:

Chelsea - they will have Europe this season and have already lost Hazard at start of season - so next season will be more challenging than this. Next season: Weaker?

Spurs - all their "Home" games will be away at Wembley - and they were a shambles there last season in Europe - so surely they won't have the same record as they did at the Lane last season. Weaker.

Man City - Pressure will be on big time under Pep - and if they go out and sign 4 or 5 world class players, they will need to gel together etc... But definitely could be stronger than last season.

Arsenal - they have thursday nights to deal with - half the club want Wenger out - a couple of bad results and they will implode. Plus maybe losing Alexis. Weaker.

Man Utd - Jose couldn't get them playing any decent footy - in fact none of his teams do... He usually does well 2nd season, but then falls apart... but his 2nd season is based on a solid 1st season - he didn't have that. They were lucky to win 2 cups - Jose will turn them into a cup team at best. Next season weaker.

Hence, if our new signings work and gel - and we get a run going - we could be in the mix come January, we just kick on and anything can happen. Jurgen took 2 seasons at Dortmund before he finally got them rocking, so it could easily happen... I say we get behind him no matter what, and attract quality players because of the stability at our club as well as the heritage etc...

9. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

10. Redbelly

Redbelly TIA Youth Team

I've been an FSG apologist, until today.

Beginning to think its impossible for any manager to bring sustained success to LFC with this incompetent bunch running the club. It seems their big plan to be more clever than everyone else in football consisted of, "hey, we'll just pay less than everybody else for good players," followed by nods and yes sirs from the lackeys.

11. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

There are many reasons to criticse the running of the club, and never more so than today. It's an odd to pick on the idea that they are too cheap though

jabu, redfanman and lfc.eddie like this.
  12. redbj

redbj hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road

im still not sure what to make of the VVD fiasco, whether its as it seems or well played by Citeh, Soton or us....I do not know....

one thing is for sure though, a conventional transfer well handled this early in the piece would have reflected better on FSG regardless of the outcome from here on in.

Libero likes this.
  13. redbj

redbj hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road

im still not sure what to make of the VVD fiasco, whether its as it seems or well played by Citeh, Soton or us....I do not know....

one thing is for sure though, a conventional transfer well handled this early in the piece would have reflected better on FSG regardless of the outcome from here on in.

14. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

Sure,but he is criticizing them for being cheap. It's astronomically dumb that we did the hard yards on this and then watched it fall apart, but a move that would have been a world record transfer for a defender is a not one to use to criticise the owners for wanting to be cheap.

jabu, redfanman and Cologne-Liverpool like this.
  15. Mascot88

Mascot88 Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders Admin

I think it's absolutely fair, as it seems that the most likely scenario here is that Southampton got fucked off with us trying to use VVD commitment to LFC to bully them on the fee.

redbj likes this.
  16. NYRhockey

NYRhockey Well-Known Member

Regardless of what you think they were trying to do (which are assumptions, not facts), it would have been a record transfer for Liverpool (in no one's dreams was this going to cost less than our current record of 35M) if not a defender altogether, so this is not something where you can pin being cheap on the owners.

17. lfc.eddie

Pure hearse no or your own assumption? While I may not have been the owners' biggest supporter, one of the biggest critics maybe, but you cannot pin this on us trying to low ball them. We met their request, then Chelsea and City came in, they wanted a bidding war, but the player insists on wanting to join us. Southampton saw their hope of getting more and more money disappear when City and Chelsea backed off. Top it off, we have also read that German gov had pushed Katrina Liebherr hands to sell the club or raise more money to get her out of that problem she's facing. That could also trigger the no sale on Van Dijk.

Now Salah's deal on the other hand, that might be us lowballing and now probably pissed Roma off. And not helped by that silly article about Martins.

I thought Ayre was bad.... damn the jokes, this newly formed group is even more amateurish than Ayre, and that needs some doing.

jabu and Irishanfield like this.
  18. indianscouser

indianscouser Oh ya Beautttty!!

Thats typical Management and HR tactic, try to get an employee at the lowest cost.
    I think FSG have view our club as a company in terms of transfers. Hence this corporate crap screws us. Works well for white collar employee, not so for high earning footballers and greedy clubs.

19. Gazmaninaus

Gazmaninaus Well-Known Member

It could also be deemed quite prudent business practice, considering, all the other needs LFC have, like the debt, improving the ground, fixing Melwood, the academy, etc. I believe since these owners arrived, they put a price on a player, and that's where it ends, they do not throw money at something they don't believe is value. Although we as fans don't like this, that's what we have and there has been some progress.
    Now whether Klopp like's this or not, is something for the future, but if he did actually meet up with VVD, then he was well aware of what was happening. He is an experienced Manager, who has lived long and hard in the transfer world.
    I personally do not think 50-60-75 million is what VVD was worth, and whether we like it or not, the prices are only really inflated coming in to England, Europe to Europe, they are still quite reasonable. Put an English team in the picture, and up the price goes.

Red_Jedi likes this.
  20. Red_Jedi

Whilst seeing the VVD fiasco and even Salah deal not materialising yet, at least we are trying to be active.

Obviously, the transfer team are trying to get prices knocked down so we can get good value.

I personally think buying a defender for around £30m will do, it doesn't have to be VVD. Spend that money on a winger, another striking option, LB and midfielder maybe will be better.

At least we are active and things are happening, and Solanke could be a steal.

And since FSG have come in, we've expanded the stadium with serious redevelopment, got plans for new training ground, further plans to expand the stadium and got a serious manager... its not all doom and gloom.

Livvy likes this.
  21. Gazmaninaus

Gazmaninaus Well-Known Member

Spending on a CB may be a good idea, but throw some serious money at a tough tackling midfielder and and bloody left back, that's where we're struggling.

lfc.eddie likes this.
  22. lfc.eddie

The way this window has gone on, I felt that the "transfer committee" thing is still on going, but unlike the old manager who throws tantrum when not getting his way, Klopp probably told the committee - "go ahead, bring me players that you believe is going to strengthen my side. If you fail, shut the fuck up and move aside. It's my turn to fucking lead this shit".

At the start of the window, Klopp sat with Edwards and worked out a plan with the budget obtained for this transfer window. Edwards then said, with £120m, let's get us a few players to fill up those holes, a centre half, another pacy winger, full back backups, centre midfield and maybe a striker. All that while selling Sakho and Moreno. Klopp agreed and Edwards set out to go do his job - and fucked up on the first two fronts, centre half and pacy winger. Came back to Klopp with undesired results and Klopp looked at Edwards and said "Are you done?".... "Now listen to me, fuck all that defensive problems bullshit. We are Liverpool, we attack. Now, go get me Mbappe's contacts, and this time make sure Monaco knows about it!" :celebrating:

Before someone coming in with "Wrong!", this is playing in my head - fiction, purely fiction!

23. Red_Jedi

Big reason many transfers not materialising is because fees not being agreed between clubs.

Everyone knows clubs have more money - so they are trying to get more for each player (especially if they do not need to sell), so we offer what we think is reasonable, but selling club wants more.

And for what its worth, the vast majority of Klopp's signings at Dortmund were smaller values - not sure if he's the spend £70m on 1 player type of coach - and hence suits FSG perfectly.

24. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Klopp is 50 on Friday. Maybe we'll announce a bunch of signings to celebrate!:celebrating:

Scott Jones, James H and Lowton_Red like this.
  25. James H

James H "One word: Thundercougarfalconbird"

Maybe fifty signings one for each year like candles on a cake! :think:

lol

26. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

Makati just fainted with excitement.lol

27. Klopptinho

Klopptinho Well-Known Member

perhaps we have spent all our cash on the candles :?:lol:celebrating:

28. James H

I do like to think i affect the world in positive wayslol

29. James H

But the players are the candles! Unless there covering the cake in subuteo figures, fifty players, one for each bungled transfer under FSGlol

30. Klopptinho

Klopptinho Well-Known Member

i was thinking more like .. now we can't afford the release clause for the cake lol it's still there in the window.. but every passer by is going in to register their interest whilst we wait for it to go on buy one get one free or reach it's best before date :?:

Lowton_Red and James H like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.