Jürgen Klopp: 2018 - 2019

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Kloppo has to get these new signings to gel... and he’s certainly the man to do it.

He’s also got an opportunity to use the disappointment of champs league final, and for some the World Cup - as positive hungry energy to do something special this season.

And finally, I’d like to see him work with a 3-4-3 formation to change things around. Having Fabinho and keita bossing the middle, could play well in that system.

Anyway, can’t wait till the 12th August!

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Klopp is calling the shots to close shop. This summer is the biggest outlay so far from our owners with roughly £170m spent (Keita £55m, Fabinho £45m, Shaqiri £13m and Alisson £56m) without selling anyone yet. This is by far the most Klopp has ever spent and I guess if he's happy with what we got, I am all good now.

Can't wait to see what he is going to do with these new additions. All looking mighty good on paper and some have already shown their quality. Only concern is the keeper coach, and I hope he does not ruin this "La Ferrari" we just bought.

Claymenza

Love that quote from Klopp in the twitter thread...

"it's better to change your opinion than never have one!"

I love having Klopp as our manager. It is impossible not to like him. I hope he is our manager for 20 years!
I think that quote is accurate of Klopp's opinion of finally going for a new number 1, and also refers to sturridge staying for the positive spirit he has shown despite being on the sidelines and the signing of shaqiri who will be the magic maveric he is known to be.

Fabinho and Keita really are just the next generation incarnation of the professional types like henderson and milner.
I think this season will be the right one where everyone will have a crucial part to play in a trophy laden success story.

As for the financial outlay, I think FSG has shown astute business chops of when to spend and when not to spend big. The goalkeeper situation was well handled. Karius was low on confidence yet huge on impact, however he might flourish as a number two. As for achterberg, it seems like Klopp will rely on Alisson's feedback as to whether or not he's worth keeping. 10 years in the same position, it's uncanny how he kept his position.

Most of all I have huge admiration for klopp for keeping a positive spirit despite losing yet another champions league final. That said, most players will relish the fact that there are many competitive games to play on all fronts in a deeper squad. I rather start 25 competitive games fully charged and focused than 40 half-baked ones.

This is the best team we had in decades.

dockers_strike

You still need them lucky breaks to win a title especially in a league where most teams will not try against Man City. I hope the footballing gods hand bucketfuls of them to Jurgen this coming season

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
As he had brought a unity on and off the pitch he has changed the club entirely.

The outcome of this is seen in many ways. One of these is our approach to transfers. Klopp has obviously set clear objectives and timelines and this is why in mid-July we have completed our transfer activity and our rivals are yet to even really start.

We have not pissed others around, we have got the deal done as we recognise the value and need of a proper preseason. We have walked away from deals that are not right, having self confidence to wait for others. Edwards and co deserve credit for the execution but the direction and vision comes from Klopp.

We are a long way away from the club others looked at as a cash cow immediately after selling star players (Torres, Suarez, Sterling etc) we are also a long way from the club panicking in the last few days of the window thinking we must sign someone and Balotelli is the best thing of a shit list.

It’s fantastic to see top players actively chose this club rather than going to United and Chelsea. Players want to play for a Klopp. Any idiot can see coming to Liverpool will be an enjoyable experience from the atmosphere in the dressing room to that at Anfield. The style of football is exciting and Klopp shows the natural enthusiasm, joy and anger which people are drawn to.

It’s all a loop that’s feeds off the momentum. Klopp creates and atmosphere and plays a style of football that entices players to come here. Better players sign for the club. We start competing for trophies and even better players are attracted.

For a club that has not won anything for a long time the confidence and attractiveness of this club is among the very top tier in the world.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Simply love this guy. He has brought back the smiles and passion back into our game.
We are very lucky to have this legend manage us! Probably the best signing of our century.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
We are very lucky to have this legend manage us! Probably the best signing of our century.
I like the guy to bits, and believe he’s one of the best thing that happened to the club. But until he win us something shiny, I would not put him as “the best in the century”. A certain Spaniard might prove otherwise.

Spitfire

Resident Realist
Kloppo has to get these new signings to gel... and he’s certainly the man to do it.

He’s also got an opportunity to use the disappointment of champs league final, and for some the World Cup - as positive hungry energy to do something special this season.

And finally, I’d like to see him work with a 3-4-3 formation to change things around. Having Fabinho and keita bossing the middle, could play well in that system.

Anyway, can’t wait till the 12th August!
Why 3-4-3 and what would your line up and depth look like on that formation?

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
This 3-4-3 nonsense needs to stop. It's fashionable for a while but not long lasting was it? England used that formation to bulldozer their way through against smaller teams and found wanting against bigger sides. Chelsea got results for one season and tumbled the following. 3-4-3 relies heavily on a targetman forward, a big guy who could hold the ball up, and very dependent on discipline narrow defence.

Fashionable, but not one I would want our manager to adopt permanently unless we needed to see the game out.

Spitfire

Resident Realist
This 3-4-3 nonsense needs to stop. It's fashionable for a while but not long lasting was it? England used that formation to bulldozer their way through against smaller teams and found wanting against bigger sides. Chelsea got results for one season and tumbled the following. 3-4-3 relies heavily on a targetman forward, a big guy who could hold the ball up, and very dependent on discipline narrow defence.

Fashionable, but not one I would want our manager to adopt permanently unless we needed to see the game out.
Yeah for me it raises questions about the make up of our back three...... I'd argue that our back four is solid, fits our squad make up and strengths, why mess with it..........

we still have flexibilty in front of that to go 2-2-2, 2-3-1, 3-3......etc

Noo Noo

I agree with you here. Perhaps its a formation to switch to mid game but otherwise I don't see it being for us. Certainly not with TAA and Robertson. There's simply no need.

Regarding England at the WC. Take a step back and look who they played and their good performances turn into exactly what you would have expected from them. The draw was favourable and they beat the teams in front of them until they came across anyone half decent. Then there was nothing.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Why 3-4-3 and what would your line up and depth look like on that formation?
Good question - firstly, it is just a system to be used against certain teams, or in certain areas phases of matches. My only criticism of Klopp is he is way too dependant on his one system... it’s good to vary it when needed.

In terms of a sample line up- vvd, Gomez, lovren, Robbo, fab, keita, taa, mane, bobby, Salah.

The benefit of it is the full backs would push on and create more space for Salah and mane... so it’s in my mind to push on with attacking.

But it’s just a secondary system...

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Good question - firstly, it is just a system to be used against certain teams, or in certain areas phases of matches. My only criticism of Klopp is he is way too dependant on his one system... it’s good to vary it when needed.
Most if not all title winning and trophy hauling sides stick with one formation, and that's because they don't see the need to chop and change to win matches and it is not easy to move your formation around unless you have 2 separate teams with equal quality in your squad.

Take the all conquering Barcelona for example, they've never deviated from their 4-3-3 formation since Guardiola's days. Style of play might vary a little but the pattern of setup has always been the same. Even a lesser team that won the league title like Leicester stuck with 4-4-1-1 al season long.

I would like to see all our players able to play in one very successful system, play with one and make it very, very effective. Having multiple systems like our old manager does not make him a better manager or have a better team.

At least that is how I see it.... or rather how I preferred our manager to be.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Most if not all title winning and trophy hauling sides stick with one formation, and that's because they don't see the need to chop and change to win matches and it is not easy to move your formation around unless you have 2 separate teams with equal quality in your squad.

Take the all conquering Barcelona for example, they've never deviated from their 4-3-3 formation since Guardiola's days. Style of play might vary a little but the pattern of setup has always been the same. Even a lesser team that won the league title like Leicester stuck with 4-4-1-1 al season long.

I would like to see all our players able to play in one very successful system, play with one and make it very, very effective. Having multiple systems like our old manager does not make him a better manager or have a better team.

At least that is how I see it.... or rather how I preferred our manager to be.
That’s totally fine when that system works. It’s when it doesn’t that something has to happen.

You have to take into account player fatigue, form, the opposition etc...

What you suggest is the ultimate aim, but too many games in the last couple of seasons it was obvious that the beloved 433 wasn’t doing it. So what then?

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
That’s totally fine when that system works. It’s when it doesn’t that something has to happen.

You have to take into account player fatigue, form, the opposition etc...

What you suggest is the ultimate aim, but too many games in the last couple of seasons it was obvious that the beloved 433 wasn’t doing it. So what then?
I do take into account player's fatigue and form. Substitution with like-for-like, players that could slot in and play in the same system is what the manager aimed to do. Seamless. That can only achieve if they were all drilled on the same way of playing. Changing formation isn't just a click of a button, the manager will need to invest in a lot of time to get the players understanding their new duties and roles in each position. Playing as a fullback overlapping is very different to playing as a wingback.

We should also not to worry too much about the opposing team tactic and changes ours to counter theirs. We need to attack their formation and tactical weaknesses, case in point - Man City. They went with 3 backs against us and we ripped them apart.

Out of curiosity, could you name the matches that our formation failed us? Since you said too many games our 4-3-3 didn't work.

In terms of a sample line up- vvd, Gomez, lovren, Robbo, fab, keita, taa, mane, bobby, Salah.

The benefit of it is the full backs would push on and create more space for Salah and mane... so it’s in my mind to push on with attacking.

Our squad is not suited to play a 343. Especially the CBs. 1 injury to VVD (touch wood) and we will be ripped apart in 343, as Lovren/Matip/Klavan/Gomez are not capable of organising and won't be able to play the center of the 3. The numbers don't match too - we will need at least 2 more quality CBs as Matip is not reliable anymore.
And 4231 or even 442 is what we can easily / quickly morph into from our 433. So they should be the preferred secondary formation.
Further to add 343 is more suitable for a defensive style. I am really not sure whether it will workout with that well with our gegenpress and pacy counters.

Spitfire

Resident Realist

Do we not already do that anyway as it is - Henderson drops in between the CB's at times and the full backs push up the field.......especially when we play weaker oppostion and dominate possession.

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !
Last edited:

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
This summer's media: Jurgen, why do you keep buying good players and spending money on assembling a team that will try to compete in the league and for trophies?

Klopp: Because that's the entire point of association football.

exactly, the indignity that opposition fans and pundits are behaving with is startling....

look if we had signed a dodgy 400 million sponsorship deal with FSG to sponsor thier own stadium i could reasonably see thier point, but this summers splurge has come off the back of some very VERY sensible business practices being put in place.

maybe thats what hurts them even more, that klopp is in this position without hitting 'cheat mode' on FM

Caradoc

Y Goeden Bywyd
Just want to thank Jürgen, Michael Edwards and FSG for their efforts over the past 18 months or so. Seriously, the standard of players brought in, the improvement in the existing players and the funds raised from player sales, combined with the improvement in performance on the pitch is nothing short of sensational. As an LFC supporter of 50 years I haven't been this optimistic for quite a while.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
exactly, the indignity that opposition fans and pundits are behaving with is startling....

look if we had signed a dodgy 400 million sponsorship deal with FSG to sponsor thier own stadium i could reasonably see thier point, but this summers splurge has come off the back of some very VERY sensible business practices being put in place.

maybe thats what hurts them even more, that klopp is in this position without hitting 'cheat mode' on FM
Couldn’t agree more.

Klopp got us two consecutive top four finishes and a CL finish on a zero net spend.

That’s massively embarrassing for cheque book happy idiots like Mourinho, who still manages to spin the narrative that he doesn’t have a squad to compete.

Klopp and Edwards are having a big summer, but he’s earned that on that of spending nothing for three years.