Jürgen Klopp: 2018 - 2019

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Not a fan of Klopp's moaning at the ref yesterday, that clearly irked the Dyche.

Yes, the Burnley players slid in plenty, but other than the Moreno one by that Manc thug, the rest were not fouls. What exactly does Klopp expect the ref to do in that situation? It's a contact sport.

Gomez' leg break also had little to do with thuggery from Burnley. Was a great challenge, and Gomez fell awkwardly.

Hopefully Klopp doesn't keep flogging this dead horse - esp when we have someone like Fabinho who loves a slide!

Livvy

Alles wird gut
Not a fan of Klopp's moaning at the ref yesterday, that clearly irked the Dyche.

Yes, the Burnley players slid in plenty, but other than the Moreno one by that Manc thug, the rest were not fouls. What exactly does Klopp expect the ref to do in that situation? It's a contact sport.

Gomez' leg break also had little to do with thuggery from Burnley. Was a great challenge, and Gomez fell awkwardly.

Hopefully Klopp doesn't keep flogging this dead horse - esp when we have someone like Fabinho who loves a slide!
He just tries to protect his players, that's fine imo. What Burnley showed yesterday looked more like rugby and not football. I also do not know why what he said is a problem, and it's not important what others think. That will not really matter to Klopp anyway.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
If that was the case, he should have moaned more.

Seriously, Dyche's feelings should be the last thing that troubles Klopp. And as far as the contact sport and all that, yes that's true but when it's starting to become dangerous, then the ref has to step in. We lost Gomez and we could have easily lost Moreno too.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
He just tries to protect his players, that's fine imo. What Burnley showed yesterday looked more like rugby and not football. I also do not know why what he said is a problem, and it's not important what others think. That will not really matter to Klopp anyway.
100% think its important to protect the players - but to moan about tackles that aren't fouls is a bit OTT. It's a contact sport.

He basically said something along the lines of "they are great challenges, strong, won the ball, not fouls, but I told the ref to be wary of these big slides".

Have we all forgotten some of the great crunching tackles we all loved our own players put in?! Remember Carra clearly winning the ball and Nani crying? that was a beautiful moment. How many times have we seen Gerrard crash into players over the years and we were delighted. Without contact the sport is dead.

@Red Armada I don't care about Dyche's cry arsing one bit - that's not what I was getting at. It's more the actual comments themselves.

Livvy

Alles wird gut
100% think its important to protect the players - but to moan about tackles that aren't fouls is a bit OTT. It's a contact sport.

He basically said something along the lines of "they are great challenges, strong, won the ball, not fouls, but I told the ref to be wary of these big slides".

Have we all forgotten some of the great crunching tackles we all loved our own players put in?! Remember Carra clearly winning the ball and Nani crying? that was a beautiful moment. How many times have we seen Gerrard crash into players over the years and we were delighted. Without contact the sport is dead.

@Red Armada I don't care about Dyche's cry arsing one bit - that's not what I was getting at. It's more the actual comments themselves.
Well I do get your point but you forget that Klopp is not an English manager, and he probably sees it a bit differently. Furthermore, yesterday it really looked as if they just wanted to get into "very hard", no matter the consequences etc, and that's what Klopp saw coming. If you complain afterwards it will not help anymore. That's why I understand it already.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about

I think the ref was way too lenient yesterday. Hendo got sent off against Watford for 2 yellows - I saw much worse last night and sometimes not even a free kick let alone yellow.

Klopp protected our players, just like he should. More of that please, the less thug teams we have in the prem - the better.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Have we all forgotten some of the great crunching tackles we all loved our own players put in?! Remember Carra clearly winning the ball and Nani crying? that was a beautiful moment. How many times have we seen Gerrard crash into players over the years and we were delighted. Without contact the sport.
I agree about tackling being part of the game, loved Smith, Case, Souness etc but in today's game their football is dead. If refs and law makers take tackling out of the game then the laes have to be kept consistent. The game is pussified, dso Dyches thugs should be playing by the same rules as everyone else.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
Burnley were allowed to foul time and time again without a card issued and that meant they continued to do so.

Klopp's right to highlight anything that isn't consistent.
Yeah it's the consistency thing. If all teams knew that the standard of refereeing allows the kind of challenges we saw from Burnley against our lads (and partly also from our lads on them to be fair, especially in the second half), then there would be no complaints. Everyone would adapt. What is disheartening (and must be utterly frustrating for Klopp or any other manager) is the change of these standards from one game to the next.

I honestly think that the PL is the worst league in Europe regarding refereeing. It's truly horrible. People who only watch PL games might think that it is likewise everywhere else, but that is not the case. Referees commit mistakes, that's clear, and it's part of the game. But in each league I'm occasionally following - mainly Bundesliga, Ligue 1, Serie A - there is at least a clear standard of what the players can expect when they go on the pitch. Even the Swiss League, with absolute amateurs operating as refs, you get a more consistent standard. That wild swing in standards from one referee to the next, from one game to the next, is a PL speciality. Hell, even the same referees can't maintain their own personal standards from one game to the next in this league!...

To think that these people are highly paid professionals (not the case elsewhere) makes it even more ridiculous. No wonder that every single manager coming from abroad to manage a PL team first falls off his chair from bemusement, when confronted with this mess.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
@Hope in your heart you’ve just described the opposite of “standard” when it comes to PL ref. They don’t have one, hence there’s no consistency. At least in La Liga, when you’re going up against Real and Barcelona, you know the odds will almost always stacked against you when it comes to ref decision. In Premier League, it’s flavour of the month or season.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
There is a reason for all this, but you get accused of tin foil hat territory when you say it.
It's down to a combination of Ferguson playing the media, mainly SKY every time Liverpool mounted a challenge. He singled out Suarez as a diver, Suarez gets nothing.
The Murdoch fuelled media smarted over the Rag being banned around the city, and the SKY agenda became clear. It's not corruption. It's bias.

Bob8

TIA Youth Team

The game has changed from those days, its not profitable for clubs to see their players injured and thats why the rules have changed to pretty much to a point that a sliding tackle where you win the ball but get the man as well is considered to be a nasty tackle. Premier league is the only big reputation league where it is possible to set out your team to hurt the other team like dyche did, without getting three of your players sent off.

And I think thats how it should be. F.e Ice hockey became a very much better sport when they stopped that nonsense of violence being such a big part of it.

Last edited:

Limiescouse

The game has changed from those days, its not profitable for clubs to see their players injured and thats why the rules have changed to pretty much to a point that a sliding tackle where you win the ball but get the man as well is considered to be a nasty tackle. Premier league is the only big reputation league where it is possible to set out your team to hurt the other team like dyche did, without getting three of your players sent off.

And I think thats how it should be. F.e Ice hockey became a very much better sport when they stopped that nonsense of violence being such a big part of it.
I think the Gomez incident is precisely why the view on what is a legal tackle has changed. If we now view players as assets that need to be protected, it is not enough to just win the ball. If doing so endangers the opponent then it should be penalized. And that does not require the player actually being hurt. I think this is the right approach. The problem is we seemingly have a really hard time implementing it. Issues like "there was no intent" or "he was entitled to go for that" are commonly said but utterly irrelevant. And until we can put issues like that aside the waters will always be muddied and the line of what is acceptable will fluctuate wildly.

Last edited:

Dane

Willing to drive Matip to the airport
The reality of it is that if the shoe were on the other foot and Mourinho or Hodgson did that after a 96th minute winner, we’d be calling for sanctions.
Not sure that's true of the majority of people.
The section of society, predominately the younger generation, who seem to make it their life goal to find something to be offended by maybe?

Unfortunately we have more than our fair share of them on here too.

Sean thinks he can punch above his weight ag Klopp. Like what we always learn at Mgt, just ignore him. He has arrogance and relegation written all over his Burnley team.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
"Lies, damn lies and statistics ". Can't remeber who's quote this is.

You are right, results have been great compared to each way you can think of.
What do your eyes tell you ? Are we playing as well as last season ?
Put stats aside. Last season, let's say February and onwards ( VVD in, Coutinho out ), we played probably the most enjoyable football in Europe, high press, breaknecking speed attack, beautiful combinations between our front three. That was a team that was playing to its full potential.
When you look at us play now, you don't get that feeling any more. After each match you see the same comments,: grinding results, attack still not clicking etc. You and everybody else knows this team is at second gear at best.

Every team has it's off days, everyteam has a slump at some point. If after 15 matches from the start of the season we are still playing like the first 2, then I would say there is cause for concern.
We’ve scored 7 goals in the last 2 away games, and sitting top of tree.

Need to beat Napoli (either 1-0 or by more than 2 goals) and we are guaranteed into next stage of champions league.

We’ve won all 3 matches in 6 days - and I’d say that they were tougher than on paper. We now have 4 games at home (out of 5) - and that anfield place - well its a fortress.

How do you think we are faring now?

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
How do you think we are faring now?
It’s bloody good to see everyone is enjoying this ride. But let’s remember we are not even half way through.

@shachart wasn’t wrong when he posted his comment.

Thumping our chest right now before we win anything means nothing. Let’s enjoy it together rather than picking up old post to show “I am a better fan”, yes?

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
It’s bloody good to see everyone is enjoying this ride. But let’s remember we are not even half way through.

@shachart wasn’t wrong when he posted his comment.

Thumping our chest right now before we win anything means nothing. Let’s enjoy it together rather than picking up old post to show “I am a better fan”, yes?
I think you'll find there was some chest thumping after we lost to Red Star. I'm just curious to see what our fans who were not so positive about the start have to say now? We all have a right to our views and opinions. I have every right to pick up an old post to see what that poster has to say now - just like that poster did to me. Not for one minute did I think that I am a better fan than any other.

As you say, lets enjoy the ride - and allow others to "pick up old posts" if they so wish.

Agree we shouldn't be getting too ahead of ourselves, especially with Utd coming up but there have been some daft things written about Klopp and the team this season and there's nothing wrong with giving them a bit of credit for where they are now. Only today we've had someone describe us as a 'one man team', in another thread we're described as 'broken' (!), constant knocking of the performances even when we've won. It's pretty obvious that the way we are playing this season is a deliberate attempt to manage games more effectively and become harder to score against. So far it's working.

Let's be realistic, it's going to take something completely freakish and extraordinary in terms of points to win the league this season so the margin for error is practically nil and the pressure associated with that is immense. We only got 75 points last season. It will take a huge leap to even get close, let alone win it so to be in this position so far into the season is an achievement of sorts. It's not worth celebrating yet, but it is worth acknowledging together with the hope that we can keep it going.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
It's not worth celebrating yet, but it is worth acknowledging together with the hope that we can keep it going.
Oh definitely, there is nothing wrong with seeing how well we're doing. I doubt a single soul in here would say otherwise (unless some in here is actually Richard Keys). 23 games to go, 69 points to collect, anything can happen.

jaffod

The problem is any complaining Klopp does is done in an almost apologetic manner. Usually with a big grin on his face and a joke or one-liner thrown in at the end. It's in keeping with the Liverpool Way of appeasement and being terrified of upsetting anyone. I'd like to see the angry Klopp we know is in there instead of the watered down version, don't know if he's under orders or what. Our lads are on the receiving end of shite tackles every week, Mourino and Guardiola are massive cunts but they'd be shouting from the rooftops if it was their players.
And look at Dyche the other night. As soon as his players are under scrutiny he comes straight out and calls Sturridge a cheat. That's right, a player from just about the most honest team in the league called a cheat by some fat cunt who manages a team of yard-dogs. It's high time we responded in the same manner.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Well then.... them Spaniards been trying to unsettle our players with their publications reporting silly things about how they got the deal done with Salah, Firmino and whoever else that's been performing well for us. Failed to rattle the club and manager, they finally gave up. Instead, they've now gone directly for the manager instead....
Liverpool boss Klopp to become part of Spanish rivals’ wargames
The report states that Coutinho told his Barca teammates about the news, with Messi’s response being that of ordering the Brazilian to convince Klopp to reject any advances from Real to manage the Spanish giants.

This would come as a bitter blow for Real should they miss out on a world-class manager like Klopp, due to a scheme orchestrated by the Barcelona players.
Having a laugh are they not? Seriously, you think Klopp would seek out Coutinho for advice? The German is some 16 year old social media whore, looking for approval by getting likes from Coutinho and so on?

redaderry

This time last year we were on 29 points i think, 30 if you count the draw with Everton on 10th December. Now we're on 42. That's what £60+£70m gets you. If we were even to equal the remainder of the season from last year, we would be on 98 points. I don't see why we couldn't exceed that with our current setup. As for the talk of a one man team, that's just nonsense, this is becoming a pure Klopp machine with all the bits working together.

jaffod

Ha ha, mad story that. Just imagine Klopp answering his front door, finds Coutinho stood there, "hello Mr Klopp, just dropped by to tell you Lionel wont be too happy if you go to Madrid..."
And I thought the British press were bad wankers.

Maria

Well then.... them Spaniards been trying to unsettle our players with their publications reporting silly things about how they got the deal done with Salah, Firmino and whoever else that's been performing well for us. Failed to rattle the club and manager, they finally gave up. Instead, they've now gone directly for the manager instead....
Liverpool boss Klopp to become part of Spanish rivals’ wargames

Having a laugh are they not? Seriously, you think Klopp would seek out Coutinho for advice? The German is some 16 year old social media whore, looking for approval by getting likes from Coutinho and so on?

lollollol. They are quite funny La Liga lot, very good comic relief entertainment. When there was a mutiny in the Argentina National team during the world cup, with all the respect for Messi as a unique and magnificent footballer, but organising the team didn't help them at all, he has a long way to go in that respect.
Klopp said he would not go to La Liga because he needs to communicate with his players and he said he didn't speak much Spanish so that is ruled out. I think Pochettino will probably go at some point in my view or even Mourinho.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
I wonder how the mood in this thread will be a week from now if we dont beat Napoli and go back to second place if we don't beat Utd.
2 seasons ago, we were leading the table, when Klopp was asked about it his response was that no trophies are handed out in december, or something like that.
City will have a few bumps and rough spells , and so will we. Enjoy the every win, by all means, but lets not get to far ahead of ourselves.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
I wonder how the mood in this thread will be a week from now if we dont beat Napoli and go back to second place if we don't beat Utd.
2 seasons ago, we were leading the table, when Klopp was asked about it his response was that no trophies are handed out in december, or something like that.
City will have a few bumps and rough spells , and so will we. Enjoy the every win, by all means, but lets not get to far ahead of ourselves.
Is anyone really getting ahead of themselves though? Everyone seems to be on the same page that City will still take an awful lot of stopping and we have a massive task ahead of us.

We've been fantastic in the league so far - 13 wins, 3 draws. It's absolutely fine to be happy about that, and it's also reasonable to be bemused when certain people keep telling us how poorly we have apparently been playing.

Commando

This time last year we were on 29 points i think, 30 if you count the draw with Everton on 10th December. Now we're on 42. That's what £60+£70m gets you. If we were even to equal the remainder of the season from last year, we would be on 98 points. I don't see why we couldn't exceed that with our current setup. As for the talk of a one man team, that's just nonsense, this is becoming a pure Klopp machine with all the bits working together.
As to squalling our results for the remainder of last year. I remember we drooped a few points late on in the season when we rested/rotated players in league games during the latter stages of the CL journey. If we were to progress to the later stages of the CL whilst still being in contention for the Prem, then I think we have a stronger squad to deal with it.

dockers_strike

I think it is highly unlikely we would stay top between now and the end of the season, much as I would love it. I think we will swap first place with city a few times, most obviously if their games kick off before our and vice versa. Just so long as we are top when the last Prem game has finished!

If we dont beat Napoli, I'll just accept it. Im fully on board with concentrating solely on the title and know deep down we definitely wont win the title if we go hell for leather in the FA Cup, EuropaLeague and \ or CL. Yes, I know all the arguments and other people can or will disagree. Like I keep saying, going 29 years without being Champions is a bigger issue for me than not winning a cup.