Jürgen Klopp: 2018 - 2019

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
I wonder how the mood in this thread will be a week from now if we dont beat Napoli and go back to second place if we don't beat Utd.
2 seasons ago, we were leading the table, when Klopp was asked about it his response was that no trophies are handed out in december, or something like that.
City will have a few bumps and rough spells , and so will we. Enjoy the every win, by all means, but lets not get to far ahead of ourselves.
I am a fan, I am allowed to get ahead of myself. I am allowed to dream, to believe... in fact that is what that hope in my heart is all about.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
I wonder how the mood in this thread will be a week from now if we dont beat Napoli and go back to second place if we don't beat Utd.
2 seasons ago, we were leading the table, when Klopp was asked about it his response was that no trophies are handed out in december, or something like that.
City will have a few bumps and rough spells , and so will we. Enjoy the every win, by all means, but lets not get to far ahead of ourselves.
I still think we are chasing them.....just doing it from the front for a little while.

Their December is quite a bit soften than ours (dead rubber CL game, though they are still in the League Cup, but Everton is their strongest PL opponent, with ManU and Arsenal we have two stronger than that). Chances are pretty good they will make up some ground before January 3.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
Is anyone really getting ahead of themselves though? Everyone seems to be on the same page that City will still take an awful lot of stopping and we have a massive task ahead of us.

We've been fantastic in the league so far - 13 wins, 3 draws. It's absolutely fine to be happy about that, and it's also reasonable to be bemused when certain people keep telling us how poorly we have apparently been playing.
I see a lot of us that do get carried away. I read @redaderry post, where he predicts/hopes how we can break the 100 points for the season. I would say that's the definition of getting ahead of ourselves.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
I see a lot of us that do get carried away. I read @redaderry post, where he predicts/hopes how we can break the 100 points for the season. I would say that's the definition of getting ahead of ourselves.
His numbers were a bit off (it should have read 88 points instead of 98) but in essentially there wasn't anything in his post that was overly enthusiastic. For us to reach a 90+ points tally we have to keep performing to the standards we've been setting for the last 10 months or so, which is entirely possible is it not?

Last edited:

redaderry

His numbers were a bit off ( it should have read 88 points instead of 98) but in essentially there wasn't anything in his post that was overly enthusiastic. For us to reach a 90+ points tally we have to keep performing to the standards we've been setting for the last 10 months or so, which is entirely possible is it not?
:well done:
thanks, and my point remains, we can be right up there can't we

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Well then.... them Spaniards been trying to unsettle our players with their publications reporting silly things about how they got the deal done with Salah, Firmino and whoever else that's been performing well for us. Failed to rattle the club and manager, they finally gave up. Instead, they've now gone directly for the manager instead....
Liverpool boss Klopp to become part of Spanish rivals’ wargames

Having a laugh are they not? Seriously, you think Klopp would seek out Coutinho for advice? The German is some 16 year old social media whore, looking for approval by getting likes from Coutinho and so on?
Someone is getting told to fuck off at literally every juncture of that story!

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
His numbers were a bit off (it should have read 88 points instead of 98) but in essentially there wasn't anything in his post that was overly enthusiastic. For us to reach a 90+ points tally we have to keep performing to the standards we've been setting for the last 10 months or so, which is entirely possible is it not?
If we took a rolling 38 games - ie this season 16 games, and last 22 games from last season, we would be on 87 points. And this includes the poor run we had whilst we had those thrilling champions league matches.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
I am a fan, I am allowed to get ahead of myself. I am allowed to dream, to believe... in fact that is what that hope in my heart is all about.
I always considered myself a realist, perhaps after Gerrards slip I became a bit more pessimistic. I enjoy every win as it comes, I also try not to confuse between winning and performance. It also goes the other way around, if we lose or draw I try not to kneejerk.
We can and should hope and dream, getting carried away is when today we are record breaking, and next week people will write this season as a failure.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
For years we bemoaned the weak mentality of our players and team as a whole - that there was never the self belief that they could achieve greatness, and so were living out a self-fulfilling prophecy of eventually shitting the bed no matter how talented they were.

I think they're over that hump, while we're not. Despite doing well last season, making a Champions League final, and being top of the league and unbeaten (in the league) so far, we're sitting about wondering how they're going to cock it up, and there's no way they can continue to show the form they've done for the last 12 months.

Fuck it, I believe. Might not win it, but I think when the dust settles we'll be there or thereabouts. And think we'll turn Napoli over midweek as well.

Claymenza

For years we bemoaned the weak mentality of our players and team as a whole - that there was never the self belief that they could achieve greatness, and so were living out a self-fulfilling prophecy of eventually shitting the bed no matter how talented they were.

I think they're over that hump, while we're not. Despite doing well last season, making a Champions League final, and being top of the league and unbeaten (in the league) so far, we're sitting about wondering how they're going to cock it up, and there's no way they can continue to show the form they've done for the last 12 months.

Fuck it, I believe. Might not win it, but I think when the dust settles we'll be there or thereabouts. And think we'll turn Napoli over midweek as well.
That's a good point. We need to start believing in our own!
Whenever I look at the "who do we need to buy" thread, it sickens me how little faith some of our fans have in our already talented squad.

This was a great round of the EPL and it's a bit refreshing to see that Klopp adjusted his system a bit instead of relying too much on full throttle football.

This way we haven't been 'found out'
At some point, city's game plan will be exposed.

Livvy

Alles wird gut
Looks amazing, but I have to say, not sure whether Klopp will like that. I guess he would prefer his players faces instead. And I'm afraid that if things aren't going well anymore, there will be probably immediately a few "artists" who brush their #Kloppout sayings about it, or some Everton idiot is going to ruin it.

A street art depiction of Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp has been created on a wall in the heart of the city's thriving Baltic district.

The image of the Reds boss was created by graffiti artist Akse P19 over a two-day period this weekend, especially for supporters to enjoy.

Akse P19 has created similar depictions of high-profile faces such as Professor Stephen Hawking, David Bowie and Muhammad Ali during his 26-year career.

The Baltic area, known throughout the north west for its celebration of street art and culture, has also become a hub for lively football screenings – making it a fitting place for a piece of art of this nature.

Jürgen Klopp by Akse can be found on Jordan Street off Jamaica Street.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/features/329401-jurgen-klopp-street-art-liverpool

Last edited:

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Well then.... them Spaniards been trying to unsettle our players with their publications reporting silly things about how they got the deal done with Salah, Firmino and whoever else that's been performing well for us. Failed to rattle the club and manager, they finally gave up. Instead, they've now gone directly for the manager instead....
Liverpool boss Klopp to become part of Spanish rivals’ wargames

Having a laugh are they not? Seriously, you think Klopp would seek out Coutinho for advice? The German is some 16 year old social media whore, looking for approval by getting likes from Coutinho and so on?
Considering the stuff Coutinho's "sources" put out about Klopp in the period before we finally granted his move I doubt Klopp would be seeking his advice, I actually think Coutinho's attitude hurt Klopp a little bit.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Personally I don't think we will get past Napoli, but it doesn't really bother me, the worst it will be is being back 2pts behind City this time next week. I hope we remain ahead to be fair and I hope we get past Napoli but we won't be out of the running for the league even if we don't beat Man Utd.

Too much negativity on here, for a team that is currently 10pts better off like for like on last season, that is unbeaten in the league and that has a chance of getting out of a group which by far the hardest of any in the CL. Mo started scoring at the weekend (Though he is top of the goalscoring charts so he must of produced 7 goals some other time that no one talked about) and we started again to get the usual bull about him not smiling and that he is off in January.

Seriously this club forced Coutinho to stick for six months, if Salah went down the same route I can't see him going til the Summer, though I don't think he is even considering it.

Noo Noo

I do hope we win and win well. I want to stay in the CL but just as importantly I'd love this team to be absolutely flying when we play United at the weekend.

What I don't want is Ancelloti beating us and basically giving Jose an instruction manual on how to play against us etc.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
I think we have 2 very similar games coming up - in that we will have to break down stubborn defences who will try and hit us on the counter...

But I think Klopp has worked out how to do it.

Only Man City managed to stifle us... we’ve scored in every game at anfield bar that one this season. Napoli match is like a cup final where we go hell for leather... a point against manure next Sunday wouldn’t be disastrous...

But just imagine we win both convincingly. Wow, we really would be the real deal.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Don't even care about the convincingly point, just win them (As long as it's enough to go through in the Napoli game that is).

rupzzz

TIA Regular
The table presented at the end of that clip posted by @ILLOK is really interesting.

We have the best 4th best start ever to a Top Division stat, on 42 points after 16 games. Top of those stats is Manchester City, who had 46 points at this stage last season (17/18). Interestingly, in all other instances after 16 games, the leading team had a significant points lead and went on to win the league;
  • 2017/18 Man City - 46 points, 11 clear of 2nd
  • 1960/61 Spurs - 46 points, 12 clear of 2nd
  • 2006/06 Chelsea - 43 points, 9 clear of 2nd
  • 2018/19 Liverpool - 42 points, 1 clear of 2nd
  • 1907/08 Man U - 42 points, 10 clear of 2nd
  • 1988/89 Preston - 42 points, 11 clear of 2nd.
We are basically on championship winning form, as are Manchester City, which has not been seen before. We are not as strong as them in terms of squad depth, so what Jurgen is doing, managing the squads playing time, tweaking tactics, and slowly building rhythm is clearly working right now.

This is lining up for one heck of a run in - let hope we can keep up the pace with City. I believe all the pressure is on them this season, rather than us. Truth be told, of we go on to have a record breaking season and challenge right to the end, and then don't win the league, I will have had an epic time watching the reds (which it is all about!), and we will have to be proud of that achievement.

Oh I really hope we demolish the Mancs on Sunday, and the Blues do us a favour against City!

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Not sure if this has been posted yet. Worth a watch.

Two pundits I don't mind listening to. Neville was right about the personnel changes at the back. A good mix of Klopp's ability to develop players and take them to another level (Robertson, Gomez, TAA) and the club going balls out in the transfer market for the finished product in key positions (Allison/VVD). The recruitment and coaching set up working in harmony at last.

Carra was right about how JK has evolved as a manager too. Think I shared the same doubts as him about whether he would be able to adapt the style that made him successful at Dortmund but this season particularly there has been a giant leap forward. We are so much more controlled and can win playing well within ourselves. The personnel gives us the flexibility to play different systems and we are as solid as a rock defensively. Whether it actually wins the title or not at least it looks like a team that could win the title.

PaulRoJo

Supporter since 1990 still waiting for the league
Bayern Munich in the round of 16. I think that is a decent draw for us and I think we'll be favourites to go through, especially if we can keep a clean sheet without VVD at Anfield in the first leg. What do others think?

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Correct me if I'm wrong, but even at the height of their (recent) powers, Klopp's Dortmund mostly did really well against them. And they're not the team they once were while we're much better than that Dortmund side. Should be a good one.
Lewandowski is going to cry when he goes up against Gomez and Van Dijk. He’ll have nightmares for months if not years after.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
bwaahahahaaaaa...oh my...

From the Caf;
Is right though. Regardless of whether we think Klopp would ever have entertained the idea of going there, he is precisely the type of manager that club need and not a million miles away from the way SAF ran the club (Except Klopp has a tonne more class)....But fortunately for us three quarters of their fanbase are still hell-bent on trying to replicate City and as much as they talk about wanting him out, from an outsider looking in, Woodward spends his whole time appeasing the fans. As an LFC fan its beautiful what is happening at their club right now.

Livvy

Alles wird gut
Jürgen Klopp's reaction to Liverpool v Bayern Munich CL draw

Read on for the manager’s reaction…

On the draw…

Difficult. Good draw. It was clear it would be difficult [and] they are obviously a top side. For me it’s nice, going to Germany. But it’s just the draw. So we have now time to prepare the game, a lot of time obviously, and hopefully we have all our players available then. It will be a tough one, an interesting one, and I am looking forward to it.

On whether his history with Bayern makes any difference to the tie…

I don’t know. This is a different Bayern than what I played, we are already here for three years [and] since the Audi Cup [in the summer of 2017]. We all know the stadium, the atmosphere will be great. It’s a really nice trip for all our supporters, it’s a wonderful city, so that’s all good. The flight is not too long and we obviously know more about German football than about any other league, that’s true, but that doesn’t make a big, massive difference. In the end, the boys have to decide it on the pitch. Let’s give it a try.

On the draw pairing two of the world’s biggest clubs…

One hundred per cent. In the last couple of years they have dominated the German league in the best period of German football. Everybody was talking about Germany being in a really good moment and Bayern was dominating the league, that’s the truth. It’s nice. It’s obviously long ago that I played Bayern in a competitive game, so I’m really looking forward to it.

On whether the fact Bayern have a winter break could influence the tie…

The winter break doesn’t make a massive difference. It makes only a massive difference with injuries and stuff like that, German clubs have the time, two or three weeks, to bring players back and stuff like that while in the same moment we have 10 games. But in February it should not have a massive influence.

On Xherdan Shaqiri and members of his backroom team facing their former club…

It’s nice for Mona [Nemmer] and Korny [Andreas Kornmayer] and Shaq. I will meet former players [too] and it’s good. But at the end it’s a football game on the highest level and we have to play it. We knew it before, it’s not that anybody thought ‘thank God it’s Liverpool’, so we don’t think ‘thank God it’s Bayern’. It’s a tough one, but that’s how it should be. It’s the last 16 of the Champions League so there are only tough teams in and I’m really excited about it.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/330639-jurgen-klopp-liverpool-champions-league-draw-reaction