Jürgen Klopp: 2018 - 2019

sms1986

Arsene Wenger got a 3 match touchline ban and fine for questioning the integrity of the referee last year.......however he also abused the referee (which Klopp didn’t do), and that contributed to some of the punishment.

So hopefully just a fine and/or warning.

Jan 2018 Guardian:

Arsène Wenger has been handed a three-match touchline ban and a £40,000 fine after the Arsenal manager admitted he verbally abused Mike Dean and questioned the referee’s integrity following the draw at West Bromwich Albion......
The ban was definitely for the verbal abuse, which they would have seen as worse.

dockers_strike

Jurgen is not going to get away with further warnings. He's skating on thin ice. I fully understood his frustration with the officials at west ham but the FA are not going to let you transgress and continually get away with just a fine. A touchline ban is the last thing we need right now, it wouldnt surprise me if the FA's decision is published just before the united game.

sms1986

Jurgen is not going to get away with further warnings. He's skating on thin ice. I fully understood his frustration with the officials at west ham but the FA are not going to let you transgress and continually get away with just a fine. A touchline ban is the last thing we need right now, it wouldnt surprise me if the FA's decision is published just before the united game.
He's got until next Monday, he'll probably accept the charges which will work in his favour. After that, the decision will be announced within ten days but I can't see him getting anything other than a fine.

@[B]_pauljoyce[/B]
FollowFollow @_pauljoyce
More
Jurgen Klopp charged by the FA for questioning the integrity of referee Kevin Friend after the 1-1 draw with West Ham. Klopp has until Feb18 to respond and an independent commission will then hear the case within a further 10-days. If found guilty likely sanction would be a fine

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Klopp will get a fine and Kevin Friend’s integrity will have been upheld.

Which doesn’t change the fact that he quite clearly massaged the decisions in the second half towards West Ham, to make up for that terrible error. It was absolutely transparent at the time.

C

Caradoc

He needs to be careful but not because what he said was wrong. It must be frustrating at times being a manager and not being able to state plainly what is pretty obvious but he knows the score.

I think we all realise and understand how difficult a job match officials have. The problem is that inevitable human errors are too often accompanied by and/or interspersed with controversial decisions that include glaring examples of (result-influencing) inconsistencies from the same official(s) during the same match. This is something that officials clearly have a high degree of control over making outbursts like Klopp’s inevitable.

As for the FA, instead of defending the indefensible they should be asking themselves why no British officials were invited to participate in the most recent World Cup. That's where their focus should be as that will almost certainly lead to less criticism of FA officials.

Limiescouse

As for the FA, instead of defending the indefensible they should be asking themselves why no British officials were invited to participate in the most recent World Cup. That's where their focus should be as that will almost certainly lead to less criticism of FA officials.
This looks bad, but there are extenuating circumstances that make it not the indictment of our refs that it’s typically presented as.

Clattenburg was selected from our list of (6 or 7) nominations as our representative on the preliminary list, and was a sure thing to make the final cut (alongside his two English assistants). However, after the short list came out he announced his move to Saudi, which disqualified him from consideration, and left us without anyone else on the short list. Had he announced earlier then FIFA would have almost certainly accepted one of our other nominations for the short list and that person would have almost certainly got the final nod as well. The issue was that FIFA would not consider promoting any of our nominations to replace Clattenburg on the short list. Had he not have moved, or announced the move early enough, we would have the 1 official there we always had.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
So can't accuse someone of being bias anymore? The referee can only be charged for not flagging us offside these days?

In other news.... you fellas can go get that box of tissue and bust out that lotion... Don't let the headline fools you.
Bundesliga expert in big claim over Klopp contract and Bayern Munich

Now if you fellas who stay in the city and go to games, want to prolong this hard-on of yours for more years to come.... go all out and help the team to achieve the long awaited trophy! Come on....
I was surprised this revelation from Honigstein didn't get more of a reaction. I have always assumed he would leave after 2022. Just on the basis of the length of time he's stayed at previous clubs. Also that he would probably be totally knackered by then given the unreasonable amount of pressure all managers are exposed to at Anfield. The Bayern reference in the headline is misleading and Honigstein seems to be holding out hope that he will stay longer, and definitely so if he wins one of the big trophies by then. Please god let it be so.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I was surprised this revelation from Honigstein didn't get more of a reaction.
Media seemed to get it right though, there are more people discussing about Klopp's impending fine by the FA than they are talking about his possible extension. Negative news sells I am afraid.

sms1986

Media seemed to get it right though, there are more people discussing about Klopp's impending fine by the FA than they are talking about his possible extension. Negative news sells I am afraid.
I remember on RAWK that if we had won, the full time thread would barely make it to ten pages. If we had lost or drawn, all the whingers suddenly remembered that a full time thread exists and it would easily come close to 25/30 pages.

Maria

sms1986

I thought this was an interesting story about our manager.
Sometimes, the gods in the heavens above work mysterious ways.
It is what is written in our destiny (kismet ). Klopp was so close to becoming Bayern Munich manager and Klinnsmann could have been Liverpool manager during the season of 2007/2008 if Benitez was removed.
Who could have imagined that?:think:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jurgen-klopp-mistake-bayern-munich-15833538
I’m very glad that things turned out as they did, I don’t think he would have been a good fit for Bayern anyway.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Didn't understand our subs today, that's where I thought we missed a chance today. We didn't even improve on our first half which was so-so at best. Damn it, we were even a bit worse in the second half. There was United at half-time without subs and Rashford limping. In the end we didn't take the chance and they also had the best two chances of the game. Sturridge's desperate shot from far out was our only shot on target. Zero creativity.

We lose a player like Bobby so early on and put Sturridge without rhythm in. Okay. Our other two subs were players who are also our of rhythm, limited, but all forwards at the tip of the cake, while we were lumping the ball, by-passing our non-existant midfield (in possession, without it we were good and practically didn't give anything away) and couldn't string two proper passes in their half. We went for 3 forwards, two of which will leave next summer and the third is a player from the sides who will only play less football from next season on if we get our targets right in the market.

Keita probably didn't deserve to play that much football lately (though he's made improvements), but then with our problems today and this new trust from Klopp in him... how come he never got on? I understand why he didn't start, Herrera would've probably made breakfast of him, but how the hell we never touched that midfield when we were changing things? It was painfully obvious. Plus forcing so much through Milner's side, who was also left 1v1 and he can't really dribble, which also affected his delivery (which was pretty poor). Yes, our forwards also didn't have great performances, but we didn't arrive there well enough.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Yes I would have gone for Keita to replace Firmino and maybe even go with Mane and Salah playing top. Hey have clearly found the way to stop us from attacking with fullbacks width, so we need someone to dribble down the middle to open them up just like what Matip did. Klopp got it wrong against United. Horribly wrong.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
I think you lads are too critical. I wouldn't call it horribly wrong to execute a clear game plan of keeping the nil at the back, and achieving exactly that, against strong and dangerous opponents. Yes, we lacked flexibility and the in-game changes were a bit puzzling, but I suspect that we don't know the full extent of that virus which has befallen the squad - it could well be that neither Shaqiri nor Keita were fit enough to play a full hour from the moment when Firmino got injured. There may have been other good reasons prompting Klopp to throw Sturridge in when Firmino had to go out, and not another player.

Anyway, everyone is always talking about how the mancs got hurt with the three injuries and how we missed an opportunity. But Firmino's injury hurt us too and broke the whole cohesion of our game. This shouldn't have been the case, but on the other hand, we know since long that Firmino is the glue holding everything together between midfield and attack. Let's cross fingers that he recovers quickly.

As for the game's result, it's a good point in my book. Last season, we lost at that place, and they have been on a fantastic run since Mourinho was sacked.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Personally, I would have brought on Keita for Matip, and dropped Fabinho into defence. We were so high up the pitch I don’t think his actual location on the field would have changed at all.

Zinedine Biscan

Half-man, half-Biscuit
If I was to be brutally honest here and lay my cards out, then I no longer have us as favourites for the title. In fact, I think City will win it at this point.

I just think the momentum has shifted their way, and they've got the squad and experience to make the necessary push, where I think nerves/anxiety are primarily to blame for our recent slump in form.

What I will say though is I think Klopp is doing everything in his power to get us there and the players too are trying their best... psychology is a weird thing in sport and it only takes a merest whisper of self-doubt or strain under pressure for things to start to wobble. Any talk that our players aren't bothered is way off base and unjustified. Similarly the talk of them not being good enough... in the case of the main bulk of the squad at least (we all know the fringe needs to be trimmed and better replacements brought in for likes of Moreno, Sturridge etc). Most of them have never been in this position before, and I think that's showing now the finish line is hoving into view.

Furthermore I will say that if it wasn't for Klopp then we wouldn't be in this position... wouldn't be close to it, in fact. He's rebuilt us from practically the ground up and is going toe-to-toe with the most expensively assembled team in football history managed by one of the sport's most-decorated managers.

I also feel that whatever happens the experience of a proper, genuine title challenge will be extremely valuable to this group of players, and with them and Klopp we'll be here again in the years to come, and not fall away after a near-miss as we did in 9/10 and 14/15.

I feel at least some of the anger and frustration we're seeing on the forum is at least partly as a result of the memory of those seasons, the notion that if we don't win the title this season than we never will again. As down as I currently am about our lead over City evaporating over the course of the last month or so, that's bollocks. We're back in the big-time thanks to Klopp and the talented team of players he's assembled. I never thought we'd be where we are now when the season started. Yes, our sequence of great results meant those goalposts had shifted by the autumn, but there was a reason I felt in July/August that this season would be another one of tangible progress rather than the one where our dreams would be finally fulfilled.

I hope I'm wrong and dearly hope we win the title, but I won't be losing my shit over every point dropped and every win City get.

But if we do end up finishing 2nd, then remember: we've improved and made progress every season under Klopp. We'll tweak and add a couple more faces where they're needed, and next year will be our year.

Last edited:

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
If I was to be brutally honest here and lay my cards out, then I no longer has us as favourites for the title. In fact, I think City will win it at this point.

I just think the momentum has shifted their way, and they've got the squad and experience to make the necessary push, which I think nerves/anxiety are primarily to blame for our recent slump in form.

What I will say though is I think Klopp is doing everything in his power to get us there and the players too are trying their best... psychology is a weird thing in sport and it only takes a merest whisper of self-doubt or strain under pressure for things to start to wobble. Any talk that our players either aren't bothered is way off base and unjustified. Similarly the talk of them not being good enough... in the case of the main bulk of the squad at least (we all know the fringe needs to be trimmed and better replacements brought in for likes of Moreno, Sturridge etc). Most of them have never been in this position before, and I think that's showing now the finish line is hoving into view.

Furthermore I will say that if it wasn't for Klopp then we wouldn't be in this position... wouldn't be close to it, in fact. He's rebuilt us from practically the ground up and is going toe-to-toe with the most expensively assembled team in football history managed by one of the sport's most-decorated managers.

I also feel that whatever happens the experience of a proper, genuine title challenge will be extremely valuable to this group of players, and with them and Klopp we'll be here again in the years to come, and not fall away after a near-miss as we did in 9/10 and 14/15.

I feel at least some of the anger and frustration we're seeing on the forum is at least partly as a result of the memory of those seasons, the notion that if we don't win the title this season than we never will again. As down as I currently am about our lead over City evaporating over the course of the last month or so, that's bollocks. We're back in the big-time thanks to Klopp and the talented team of players he's assembled. I never thought we'd be where we are now when the season started. Yes, our sequence of great results meant those goalposts had shifted by the autumn, but there was a reason I felt in July/August that this season would be another one of tangible progress rather than the one where our dreams would be finally fulfilled.

I hope I'm wrong and dearly hope we win the title, but I won't be losing my shit over every point dropped and every win City get.

But if we do end up finishing 2nd, then remember: we've improved and made progress every season under Klopp. We'll tweak and add a couple more faces where they're needed, and next year will be our year.
I must admit the same feeling is showing it's ugly face within me aswell :-(

We seem to have lost momentum, bayern and yesterdays game are the final prof of that I'm afraid.... And City have simply too many tools to work with compare to us. We literally have to win every single game til the end and the way we're playing I can't see that happen. Just like you I hope I'm wrong. Things chance quickly in football tho. Bayern game is crucial in so many ways, both for and against. IF we lose we have less games but might crush our confidence, if we win we'll have extra games but get the needed confidence boost to gain momentum again.

hopefully Spurs are going into a slump now til we meet them and chelsea remain in theirs for our game. then theres the bitters, they will be super motivated to end it for us. Rest of the games should be clear wins even without much momentum but it's usually in these games we fail. oh the dreadfulness is killing me right now.

Last edited:

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
If I was to be brutally honest here and lay my cards out, then I no longer have us as favourites for the title. In fact, I think City will win it at this point.

I just think the momentum has shifted their way, and they've got the squad and experience to make the necessary push, where I think nerves/anxiety are primarily to blame for our recent slump in form.

What I will say though is I think Klopp is doing everything in his power to get us there and the players too are trying their best... psychology is a weird thing in sport and it only takes a merest whisper of self-doubt or strain under pressure for things to start to wobble. Any talk that our players aren't bothered is way off base and unjustified. Similarly the talk of them not being good enough... in the case of the main bulk of the squad at least (we all know the fringe needs to be trimmed and better replacements brought in for likes of Moreno, Sturridge etc). Most of them have never been in this position before, and I think that's showing now the finish line is hoving into view.

That's the right spirit, mate. There is no need at all to lose our shit if things don't pan out with a title this season despite our much improved consistency. On the contrary, it should make us optimistic that we have now reached a level on which we can continuously compete for all the titles at stake. Not just during one freak season, but for a sustained period.

Of course, our core players must all show the same patience and stay put, but as they all have renewed their contracts recently, are well paid to say the least and seem happy to carry us towards glory, I think we can be reasonably optimistic that the same group will be here next season, hopefully reinforced with a couple of genuine quality players, to provide that extra depth. Some players will leave in the summer for sure (for instance Moreno), and that should be the occasion to improve our strength in depth.

I must admit the same feeling is showing it's ugly face within me aswell :-(

We seem to have lost momentum, bayern and yesterdays game are the final prof of that I'm afraid.... (...)
I don't understand this quite well. Bayern, despite of having had a difficult start to the season, are one of the absolute top teams in Europe. The mancs have an in-depth quality side and have been on an impressive run lately. Yet, despite our lads being a bit off right now, we managed to keep the nil at the back and the draw was deserved in both cases. Our last game against a side which isn't absolute top quality was against Bournemouth, and we won three nil.

We'll pick up our regular tempo soon again, an in-form Wolves at home is a good chance to do exactly that.

Last edited:

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™

Not to cherry-pick one comment from a long/good post, but I think it bears mentioning that City have never successfully defended their PL title. Experience isn't everything.