Jürgen Klopp: 2018 - 2019

Spitfire

Resident Realist
vs Barcelona first leg
IM SO FFUCKING UPSET WITH THE GAFFER. He showed them too much respect, changing the formation and team and style was a MISTAKE! I missed the first 15 minutes but the rest of the way we didn't play Liverpool Football, the usual press was not there, Barcelona did a lot to cut off our usual lanes, but there so much to be had, we just didnt play liverpool football, constant press and constant attacks. e played into their hands and got what we derserved. for ffucks sake Klopp, what were you thinking, gomez in for TAA was a serious hindrance to our attacking style, sure we need to defend well and Gomez is better defendding at the back, but the best defense is a great attcak WHOIHC WE HAVE FOR FFUCKS SAKE, WHY WOULD YOU CHANGE THAT. YOU MUST REVERT TO LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL IN THE RETURN LEG, I'M NOT AKSING I'M TELLING.
I shouldn't but I will humour you......

TAA has been rested a few times over the last months - it would appear that management don't think he can play 3 a week yet - fair enough he's young.

For this match - we created more than enough to get a result, 2-1, 3-2 wouldn't have been the end of the world - what you saw was the difference between being clinical and not.

As for how we will play at Anfield - no doubt Klopp will come out to play and score goals - I can't see him go down without swinging.

Darrel3000

Liverpool is my Religion
I shouldn't but I will humour you......

TAA has been rested a few times over the last months - it would appear that management don't think he can play 3 a week yet - fair enough he's young.

For this match - we created more than enough to get a result, 2-1, 3-2 wouldn't have been the end of the world - what you saw was the difference between being clinical and not.

As for how we will play at Anfield - no doubt Klopp will come out to play and score goals - I can't see him go down without swinging.
yeah mate, you're making my point for me. we have been clinical all season long, for ffucks sake two of our players are at the top of the golden boot rankings. so what changed in this match, too much respect leads to us going off our usual game.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
yeah mate, you're making my point for me. we have been clinical all season long, for ffucks sake two of our players are at the top of the golden boot rankings. so what changed in this match, too much respect leads to us going off our usual game.
They both had golden chances, they didn't take them that's all that changed. I don't know have I ever seen a team pin barca back and have so much control in the Nou Camp, saying we changed our game is nonsense we had the most shots ffs, a clinical finish, complete luck and a wonderstrike were the diffence. Coming on here and screaming and shouting about our manager is ridiculous.
Fwiw this tie is far from over.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
I think the best hope for the club is that Klopp and the current generation of LFC grow together. He is brilliant at getting the absolute most from a side from a season, but has really never found a way to cross the final threshold. His big game record is, stated simply, poor. He needs to find a way to take the next step and win the one game he needs to win in order to triumph.

It is a sad fact now that the best Liverpool team I can truly remember is more likely than not to win anything. Down 3-0 in the CL semis, needing help in the PL. One game in each makes all the difference, and in each of them we can readily find real questions to ask of the manager. The questions are, in the end, not fair - I truly believe we don't get this far without him, so it is unfair to then ask why we falter at the last steps. That is, in the end, a question he has to answer for himself. I truly believe that LFC and Klopp can take those steps together. Sadly, it now seems increasingly unlikely to be this year.

Last edited:

Anfield rd Dreamer

One of Klopps biggest morality points is he tries everything with his existing squad before conceding defeat and buying from the market. We are too reliant on our starting front 3 and have been since Coutinho left. He's tried everything within the squad to try and get through games without one of them but it doesn't work, any of it. Origi seemed ok as a cameo on the left allowing Mane to rest or spot one of the others but Origi has limitations and you would suffer using him there for more than the odd start or few cameos off the bench. Sturridge is just too different. Shaqiri seems to have been bought for 4231 that's seemingly been abandoned and doesn't really fit 433 nor does Lallana. Ox really fits in the midfield 3 not front 3. Brewster may be an option but it's a lot to put on a kid and even if he's up to it we need more than one more option. Last night I thought it would have been better to play 352 with Milner and Robertson wing backs, Gomez in a back 3. Keita in a 10 role in front of Fabinho and Wijnaldum. We played really well for large portions and 3 nil was not reflective at all but we just didn't work with that strange front 3 choice. Klopp is loyal to his players but some need to leave and at least one or maybe two attackers arrive. This team is so close to being special.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
I think the best hope for the club is that Klopp and the current generation of LFC grow together. He is brilliant at getting the absolute most from a side from a season, but has really never found a way to cross the final threshold. His big game record is, stated simply, poor. He needs to find a way to take the next step and win the one game he needs to win in order to triumph.

It is a sad fact now that the best Liverpool team I can truly remember is more likely than not to win nothing. Down 3-0 in the CL semis, needing help in the PL. One game in each makes all the difference, and in each of them we can readily find real questions to ask of the manager. The questions are, in the end, not fair - I truly believe we don't get this far without him, so it is unfair to then ask why we falter at the last steps. That is, in the end, a question he has to answer for himself. I truly believe that LFC and Klopp can take those steps together. Sadly, it now seems increasingly unlikely to be this year.
Klopp has absolutely bags of credit in reserve no doubt about that. He has brought us out of a mire of perineal nothing rans to back into the elite level of football.

However, as you rightly say he always seems to stutter at the final hurdle. The defeat in the Europa Final, the defeat in the Champions League final, and last night. The first two I always thought it was too soon, we needed those type of losses to grow as a team, in experience as players, suffer some lows to ensure we turn them to highs in the future.

Last night, all our away games in the group stages, the Utd game all to me shows a worrying trend that when the stakes get unimaginably high Klopp is prone to massively overthinking and by default reverting to a safety first gameplay/formation rather than allowing us to play as we have successfully for 2 years now.

I posted in the post game thread but seeing Gini as a false 9 was the most bizarre (and sadly worst) decision from Klopp so far. He offered nothing, in fact he constantly got in the way. When Keita went off we should have brought on Origi (if Firmino wasn’t fit), moved Mane central etc. The fact it took 75minutes to swap Gini off was criminal, it meant our wide men got doubled up all the time. Starting Gini in that position tonight was a massive massive overthought safety first error.

Just like Gomez at right back, he is a passable rightback v’s weak teams in our league. Against Barca he was made to look like a bang average player. Offered nothing in attack, but also didn’t provide the defensive solidity expected (their first goal is down to him being too slow to get out to Alba). By 50mins he was gassed as well. If Trent (who has been one of our biggest threats from set pieces, wide) needed resting surely its against the bottom of the division side rather than Barca? Again another baffling decision which by 55mins watching Gomez in acres of space and doing absolutely fuck all with that time and opportunity was whole frustrating.

The last decision is not bringing in a geniun top quality back up forward, it hurt us in the final last year, last night it just epitomised how much our play depends on specific players and without them our quality drops significantly. We’ve rode the fact Salah, Mane, Firmino didn’t get injured this season as a bit of a fluke personally, would we be so close to City if they had had injuries?(Which over a season you expect). If we don’t act this summer to fill that void, I feel that is the final margin to take us from bloody close to lifting silverware.

Sorry if this is a bit negative, I felt last night at 1-0 down, and 50mins the game was crying for a sub to turn the screw, instead we delayed, we let them get back in the game, they scored their fluke, we waited, we delayed, they scored their worldie.. Such small margins defined by overthinking the start and taking too long to adapt and change.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
I have to say the following: after having watched Klopp's post-match conference in Barcelona, my admiration for the man has just gone one more notch upwards.

Defeats happen, that's part of life, and for me, the great managers are those who know how to stand up again after a knock, and go on to make themselves and their team even better. After having listened to what he said, I'm absolutely 100% convinced that this is what will happen. We'll become even stronger from now on, thanks to that harsh defeat.

Anfield rd Dreamer

I have to say the following: after having watched Klopp's post-match conference in Barcelona, my admiration for the man has just gone one more notch upwards.

Defeats happen, that's part of life, and for me, the great managers are those who know how to stand up again after a knock, and go on to make themselves and their team even better. After having listened to what he said, I'm absolutely 100% convinced that this is what will happen. We'll become even stronger from now on, thanks to that harsh defeat.
Some managers have egos and stubborn streaks. Because of that they are self imposing limitations on themselves and how much better they can become. Their ego tells them they are the dogs bollocks and they become stubborn and refuse to see when they need to change their thinking and adapt/evolve. We've got one of the best and every year he'll get better and better because he's confident, competent but humble and open. I think he got last night wrong. But he's the reason we were there to get it wrong. And even getting it wrong we got till the 74th minute last night still looking the better side despite the goal they scored. Think our players should still be holding their heads high and Klopp is still the man.

Foldy

Love the man for what he’s done for our great club but yes mistakes were made. As mentioned already playing Gomez as RB lost us that attacking drive that Alexander Arnold provides. Those balls he can whip in scare the living shit out of a defence and we just didn’t have that last night. Van Dijk had an error but bloody hell I think it’s the first I’ve seen him make and everybody is allowed one, just a pity it happened against one of the greatest teams on the planet. The odd setup in attack still have us chances but nobody in that front three looked comfortable with it. I’m upset at the result but not with the lads, they played really well. Just mot meant to be, unless of course we go balls out at Anfield and do a Dortmund. Chins up guys, it’s only going to get better in coming seasons.

Red Armada

TIA Regular

It is a sad fact now that the best Liverpool team I can truly remember is more likely than not to win nothing. Down 3-0 in the CL semis, needing help in the PL. One game in each makes all the difference, and in each of them we can readily find real questions to ask of the manager. The questions are, in the end, not fair - I truly believe we don't get this far without him, so it is unfair to then ask why we falter at the last steps. That is, in the end, a question he has to answer for himself. I truly believe that LFC and Klopp can take those steps together. Sadly, it now seems increasingly unlikely to be this year.
It should also be stated that his big game record is poor because more often than not he has the worse team. In fact the only time that it can be argued that he should have won was against Wolfsburg in the German Cup final but even then it was in his last season and Dortmund were coming off a long and taxiing season. Add to that the fact that he never seems to get the rub of the green in these matches and his record is easily explainable.

RedForever2014

Even if he made mistakes, we were in the position to play the match at all because of Klopp getting us there.

The man has delivered a top European side for £95m net.

He does often come unstuck at the final hurdle, but that's because he takes jobs at clubs who have resource disadvantages. In the end, having enough quality at the business end of the season, when injuries happen and players are fatigued, makes the difference.

LFC could and should be capable of having quality alternatives up front. City have six players of a high quality for three positions, we have three.

You cannot put a CL semi defeat down to the absence of one player when the rest of the squad is fit.

LFC needs to take advantage of having Klopp by giving him the tools he needs to get over the line, not exploit his tenure by getting to the latter stages of things but never actually winning anything because the squad isn't good enough.

Our squad is a couple of quality forwards and better defensive cover away from being able to actually win these trophies.

You'd think we'd have learnt that last May.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
A load of hindsight in here based on the result (which was terrible) and not the performance (which was very good). All season long we've been reading/hearing about why we don't press teams any more and yet we saw a masterclass last night against one of the best teams in the world. When was the last time Barca had to resort to pinging it long just to get out of their own half? It's always a case when we lose of people saying we should have played player x and result y would have popped out the other end as if it's a piece of computer programming with predictable outcomes.

I was as bemused as anyone as to why Gini was playing there but the evidence was that the gameplan worked. There was nothing cowardly or defensive about it at all. In the match I saw we were the much better team for 75 minutes. We created plenty of chances. Good ones, not half chances, but our finishing was dire. It's been the same all season. Literally hit and miss and against teams of this quality you can't get away with that. That was the issue last night. Once we opened up in the last 15 minutes we were vulnerable and in the end lucky we didn't concede 5 or 6.

I said at the start of the season in this thread that if we failed to win anything then the 'Klopp is a serial loser' narrative will spread from the media to an increasing number of fans and I still think that will be the case. You can already see it now and we're not even out of the CL and are second in the league with two games to play. The guy is simply cursed when it comes to big game situations. There was nothing that could be done about the CL final defeat last season. The 11 picked itself and our keeper chucked it in the net twice. Apart from maybe deploying a sniper to take out Ramos I'm not sure what else he could have done. A record points haul in the PL but we're up against a team and squad that has taken a net spend of half a billion in 4 years to put together and, no surprise, are a bit better than we are. We're probably going to fall short and the truth is that some people just can't handle it.

Kopstar

★★★★★
Even if he made mistakes, we were in the position to play the match at all because of Klopp getting us there.

He does often come unstuck at the final hurdle, but that's because he takes jobs at clubs who have resource disadvantages. In the end, having enough quality at the business end of the season, when injuries happen and players are fatigued, makes the difference.

LFC could and should be capable of having quality alternatives up front. City have six players of a high quality for three positions, we have three.

You cannot put a CL semi defeat down to the absence of one player when the rest of the squad is fit.

LFC needs to take advantage of having Klopp by giving him the tools he needs to get over the line, not exploit his tenure by getting to the latter stages of things but never actually winning anything because the squad isn't good enough.

Our squad is a couple of quality forwards and better defensive cover away from being able to actually win these trophies.

You don't think we took lessons on board from last May and improved the team?!

Fucking hell mate, we may not make the final this year but we're a much improved team this season. We spent significant money last summer and we'll spend again this summer.

We're not going to be able to do everything in one or even two windows but in the space of three summers with Klopp at the helm and some greater competence behind the scenes we'll have been totally transformed.

I think our squad for next season will be the equal of City's over all and then we'll see Klopp with more tools than he could wish for. He'll create havoc.

RedForever2014

You don't think we took lessons on board from last May and improved the team?!

Fucking hell mate, we may not make the final this year but we're a much improved team this season. We spent significant money last summer and we'll spend again this summer.

We're not going to be able to do everything in one or even two windows but in the space of three summers with Klopp at the helm and some greater competence behind the scenes we'll have been totally transformed.

I think our squad for next season will be the equal of City's over all and then we'll see Klopp with more tools than he could wish for. He'll create havoc.
We didn't add a quality 4th forward.

It was obvious last May, when Salah went off in Kiev and was replaced by Lallana, that it was needed.

It was obvious last night when a central midfielder was preferred at 9 to the two reserve forwards, due to one of the front three being out.

We added quality last summer, but we stopped short of what we needed to do up top.

We cannot continue to rely on three forwards who are good enough when we play three of them a week.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez

What a warping of the facts. Giving Klopp all the credit and nothing to people like Edwards etc. Yes we need to improve the squad but I personally think Klopp has the final say on everything. Once Fekir fell through he looked within.

RedForever2014

A load of hindsight in here based on the result (which was terrible) and not the performance (which was very good). All season long we've been reading/hearing about why we don't press teams any more and yet we saw a masterclass last night against one of the best teams in the world. When was the last time Barca had to resort to pinging it long just to get out of their own half? It's always a case when we lose of people saying we should have played player x and result y would have popped out the other end as if it's a piece of computer programming with predictable outcomes.

I was as bemused as anyone as to why Gini was playing there but the evidence was that the gameplan worked. There was nothing cowardly or defensive about it at all. In the match I saw we were the much better team for 75 minutes. We created plenty of chances. Good ones, not half chances, but our finishing was dire. It's been the same all season. Literally hit and miss and against teams of this quality you can't get away with that. That was the issue last night. Once we opened up in the last 15 minutes we were vulnerable and in the end lucky we didn't concede 5 or 6.

I said at the start of the season in this thread that if we failed to win anything then the 'Klopp is a serial loser' narrative will spread from the media to an increasing number of fans and I still think that will be the case. You can already see it now and we're not even out of the CL and are second in the league with two games to play. The guy is simply cursed when it comes to big game situations. There was nothing that could be done about the CL final defeat last season. The 11 picked itself and our keeper chucked it in the net twice. Apart from maybe deploying a sniper to take out Ramos I'm not sure what else he could have done. A record points haul in the PL but we're up against a team and squad that has taken a net spend of half a billion in 4 years to put together and, no surprise, are a bit better than we are. We're probably going to fall short and the truth is that some people just can't handle it.
Not sure if you are referring to me, I supported Klopp's team selection last night, and I acknowledged that the issue was our forwards didn't take their chances.

The very forwards, in fact, who might well want to leave to go somewhere to win something they could have won here if they took their chances at key moments.

My point is that we compete at all because of Klopp, but we fall short because we haven't brought in the players needed to get over the line.

There was nobody on the bench to replace Salah in Kiev not because of injuries, but because there was nobody in the squad.

If Oxlade had been fit, he'd have started instead of one of the midfield three, and when Salah got injured one of the midfield three not starting would have come on before Lallana.

That would have left us in a better situation than having Lallana on, but not as good a situation as having a 4th quality forward.

Again, I think we've done great to build what we have for £95m net, and I don't expect City level net spending.

But I think LFC should be capable of having more than three quality players for a department we play three in week in week out. And I think LFC should be capable of having better alternatives to the front three than Origi or Sturridge, and indeed better alternatives to playing a central midfielder at 9 when just one player is injured.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular

It was obvious last May, when Salah went off in Kiev and was replaced by Lallana, that it was needed.

It was obvious last night when a central midfielder was preferred at 9 to the two reserve forwards, due to one of the front three being out.

We added quality last summer, but we stopped short of what we needed to do up top.

We cannot continue to rely on three forwards who are good enough when we play three of them a week.
Jurgen clearly focused on completing the defense last summer and that was the right thing to do too. Allison may have costed a bit more than calculated with, Fabinho aswell, and there probably wasn't room in our finance to buy the right back-up player to Firmino. There will be room this summer tho and I'm excited to see who klopp will pick, as it could well be the final piece to the puzzle in our squad. Also I think there must have been some bit of hope that Sturridge would get his shit together and be that guy but throughout the season that has proved to be a false hope.

RedForever2014

What a warping of the facts. Giving Klopp all the credit and nothing to people like Edwards etc. Yes we need to improve the squad but I personally think Klopp has the final say on everything. Once Fekir fell through he looked within.
Edwards has done great work, as has Klopp, as have the owners for that matter.

The point is that for whatever reason LFC didn't add a 4th quality forward that (at the very least) was obviously needed last May (see my post above), and the issue reared its head again last night (and IMO in those PL draws).

If anybody wants to argue against my view that the biggest issue in our squad is the absence of a 4th quality forward, when we play three of them week in week out, then I would question their judgement.

Whilst other departments are not ideal, we've depth everywhere but up top, something that was obvious last summer.

I only hope that the issue isn't compounded by one of our front three deciding they need to move on this summer, if they are ever to win a trophy.

It would be ironic given that their wastefulness in front of goal at key moments has cost us, but that's the way it is.

Kopstar

★★★★★

There are not many quality forwards in world football that could meaningfully be added to our squad. We went for Fekir but we decided he was too much of a risk. That seems fair enough given that he's missed twice as many games through injury this year than our front three combined.

I'm sure we'll strengthen this area this summer but Klopp’s also conscious of giving space for Brewster to get senior game time. The lad's a talent.

RedForever2014

There are not many quality forwards in world football that could meaningfully be add to our squad. We went for Fekir but we decided he was too much of a risk. That seems fair enough given that he's missed twice as many games through injury this year than our front three combined.

I'm sure we'll strengthen this area this summer but Klopp’s also conscious of giving space for Brewster to get seniir game time. The lad's a talent.
He is a talent, but the need for a quality 4th forward is now, not in a few years when Brewster develops and the front three have either got old or moved on.

Either LFC wants to actually win trophies in the short term or it doesn't. If it does it needs to add the required players who are ready to compete now.

You think any club that really wants to win things would pin its hopes on an unproven 17 year old?

Limiescouse

As you say, whatever questions you ask about the manager as a result of those two games are unfair. In both games he put out a team that performed well enough that the eventual result was not a reflection on the game. Not much more a manager can do. What last night looked like to me was a team that is developmentally young. The team seemed to be aware of the fact that it would have been a travesty to play that well and leave without an away goal. And it seems that while they werent exactly irresponsible, they definitely looked like they got too caught up in that. I think a team that has been there and done that before dont get caught up in the "unfairness" of not getting the away goal the performance deserved.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Not sure if you are referring to me, I supported Klopp's team selection last night, and I acknowledged that the issue was our forwards didn't take their chances.
I wasn't referring to you as you seem to have undergone a major online personality change in recent weeks which is very welcome. I was referring to umpteen people in this thread and the post match. The closer you get to some kind of major success the greater the pain of failure. We are competing at an elite level now and so the expectations are getting higher. I think some people would be happier if we were scrapping for top 4 and putting all our eggs in the Carabao Cup.

What is happening under Klopp is extraordinary and in years to come we will look back on this as a golden era, hopefully something that kicks off a period of dominance both domestically and in Europe, but it may not happen and I think one of the greatest risks of that comes from within. It's our lack of patience and perspective that could create a negative narrative around a season where there should be only positive things to say. Once these things start they are hard to stop and the consequences are obvious and inevitable.

Kopstar

★★★★★
He is a talent, but the need for a quality 4th forward is now, not in a few years when Brewster develops and the front three have either got old or moved on.

Either LFC wants to actually win trophies in the short term or it doesn't. If it does it needs to add the required players who are ready to compete now.

You think any club that really wants to win things would pin its hopes on an unproven 17 year old?
19 year old, U-17 World Cup and golden boot winner.

At the same age Owen was scoring 18 goals in 30 league appearances and Fowler 25 in 42.

As an option off the bench he has the talent to make an impact.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular

At the same age Owen was scoring 18 goals in 30 league appearances and Fowler 25 in 42.

It's a major demand to expect from a youngster tho. It's ok to think that's a bit unrealistic to expect him to be final piece in the puzzle, especially when he's just been out a full season.

I would be a bit more confident having someone as a back up that at least proved their worth on this stage. I don't know who that is but I'm sure Jurgen has a few candidates on a list.

RedForever2014

I wasn't referring to you as you seem to have undergone a major online personality change in recent weeks which is very welcome. I was referring to umpteen people in this thread and the post match. The closer you get to some kind of major success the greater the pain of failure. We are competing at an elite level now and so the expectations are getting higher. I think some people would be happier if we were scrapping for top 4 and putting all our eggs in the Carabao Cup.

What is happening under Klopp is extraordinary and in years to come we will look back on this as a golden era, hopefully something that kicks off a period of dominance both domestically and in Europe, but it may not happen and I think one of the greatest risks of that comes from within. It's our lack of patience and perspective that could create a negative narrative around a season where there should be only positive things to say. Once these things start they are hard to stop and the consequences are obvious and inevitable.
I agree and hence the reason I'm supportive of Klopp despite some questionable decisions.

But I do want to see Klopp and the owners acknowledge where the issues are and correct them.

We cannot continue with this issue of having just three quality forwards, when we play three players up top week in week out.

We've got to win something soon not because of impatience, but because it's the only way you actually keep your top players and get the confidence to win more trophies.

Alisson, VVD, Robertson and the front three (despite their wastefulness) carry this side, we need to ensure they see that the club is doing what it can to add what's needed.

I witnessed Fowler and Owen in their prime at first hand many times, and I know full well that if you're good enough you're old enough.

However, you don't gamble everything on them becoming what you need extremely quickly. You hedge your bets.

In short, I'm fine with Brewster being our 5th forward, and if he's good enough that gets us nearer to the 5 or 6 quality forwards you need.

But it doesn't change the fact that we need to sign a 4th proven quality forward this summer, if we are to address the issue in the squad that is there for all to see.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin

I think it’s strange that people who haven’t seen anything much of Brewster are keen to declare him not ready yet, in opposition to the man who sees him in training every day.

If Klopp thinks he’s ready, he’s ready.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
I think it’s strange that people who haven’t seen anything much of Brewster are keen to declare him not ready yet, in opposition to the man who sees him in training every day.

If Klopp thinks he’s ready, he’s ready.
I think I'm in that camp, my reasoning is that we know who we're competing with and how they do business. If we really want to compete with them then we can't just rely on talent that hasn't been proved on this stage. If he's good enough he will force him way into the side regardless but it's naive to rely on him alone. We don't need huge investment in any other areas I reckon so why not spend a few on a really good back up striker. It make perfect sense by now.

Kopstar

★★★★★
I agree and hence the reason I'm supportive of Klopp despite some questionable decisions.

But I do want to see Klopp and the owners acknowledge where the issues are and correct them.

We cannot continue with this issue of having just three quality forwards, when we play three players up top week in week out.

We've got to win something soon not because of impatience, but because it's the only way you actually keep your top players and get the confidence to win more trophies.

Alisson, VVD, Robertson and the front three (despite their wastefulness) carry this side, we need to ensure they see that the club is doing what it can to add what's needed.

I witnessed Fowler and Owen in their prime at first hand many times, and I know full well that if you're good enough you're old enough.

However, you don't gamble everything on them becoming what you need extremely quickly. You hedge your bets.

In short, I'm fine with Brewster being our 5th forward, and if he's good enough that gets us nearer to the 5 or 6 quality forwards you need.

But it doesn't change the fact that we need to sign a 4th proven quality forward this summer, if we are to address the issue in the squad that is there for all to see.
What makes you think we won't? The forward line is clearly an area we're looking at strengthening. What I'm suggesting is that I think we'll mostly be looking to strengthen out wide rather than through the middle because a) Mane or Salah can play through the middle if Firmino's out with the recruited player coming in for them out wide, and b) because Brewster will also be given the opportunity there. If you're thinking we should go in for a traditional out and out no.9 I think you'll be disappointed.

RedForever2014

What makes you think we won't? The forward line is clearly an area we're looking at strengthening. What I'm suggesting is that I think we'll mostly be looking to strengthen out wide rather than through the middle because a) Mane or Salah can play through the middle if Firmino's out with the recruited player coming in for them out wide, and b) because Brewster will also be given the opportunity there. If you're thinking we should go in for a traditional out and out no.9 I think you'll be disappointed.
I said forward not striker.