• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Jürgen Klopp: 2018 - 2019

El Dorado

Shakin' and stirred
He's been brilliant, and the gods have smiled upon him. Think of it. He starts Sturridge Saturday not know (of course) that Mo will be injured. Thus, has Origi relatively fresh for last night. In Saturday's match he throws Origi and Shaqiri on late, and they combine for the winner. Last night he started them both, even though Shaq's nowhere near game form. Shaq rewards him with a nice assist, Origi with a brace. Then to GIni. It's not a tactical sub but rather an injury sub. But Klopp makes the most of it. Whatever he did with the shape (I couldn't watch) works brilliantly, and Wijnaldum scores his first brace for Liverpool.

Top shelf management under duress.

Incognito

The Normal One
The man who has united us again. The man who has brought back belief and life into the heart of this club. Legend. Yes trophies blah blah fck that shit. Don't care what stupid tools other fans, media etc. can use to not see what he's building.

I would rather have us first holding hands together - players managers fans and legends like Kenny singing in unison like a family, believing together like we did at the end tonight and would never want to sacrifice those for trophies. Trophies will come and go, this feeling won't. It can't be bought, it can only be built. It is only what you can have.

Danke Jurgen! Salutes. I am a believer.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
What. A. Night. Absolutely stunning, and I've still no words to describe it.

Kloppo. It's as if this man had appeared on earth for the purpose of unleashing the power of Anfield. Of course, that's what the fans of Mainz will have said too when he brought them up from small-club to perennial Bundesliga status, and made them one of the most vibrant clubs there in terms of atmosphere. The Dortmund fans standing on the yellow wall during those seven glorious years will have said the same too. But this...

The sound coming from these stands... I mean, where do you have ever heard something similar? Yeah, in the old times of the standing Kop, fair enough... the games against Mönchengladbach, against St. Etienne aren't a part of our legend for nothing. It must have been unbelievable then too. But this night must rank up there, as one of the most vocal, vibrant atmospheres in world football. Ever.

The result makes it even more beautiful of course, but this atmosphere... talk about the crowd being the twelfth man... yesternight, the twelfth man was an absolute superstar, better than Messi or any other footballer having graced the game. The atmosphere literally pushed the boys towards glory. The Barca players, as good and experienced as they are, couldn't live with that. The cameras caught Suarez' and Messi's faces repeatedly: they didn't know what was hitting them. Literally. And it's all down to Klopp and how he gave back the belief to everyone. The players, the fans, everyone.

Remember, before Klopp came in, we were at what I think was an all-time low-ebb in terms of atmosphere at Anfield. People leaving before the last ten minutes of the game, an atmosphere as flat as it goes, opposing fans repeatedly chanting This is a Library... Kloppo, right from the start, said the following: We have to change from doubters to believers. These were his first words to the supporters.

With hindsight, it was a momentous call. It took several years to get there, but yesternight, the crowd stood behind the players like one man, believing in them. It wasn't only the Kop, it was every single Red in that stadium. The Anfield power was unleashed for good.

We have seen some glorious European nights at Anfield already with Klopp at the helm: Dortmund, Man City, Roma. But this one tops it easily. It was beautiful. Who wouldn't have tears coming when watching something like that?

Yesternight, Anfield lived up to it's legend. I'm feeling so grateful for this. Thank you from deep down my heart, Kloppo!!!

He is a miracle worker! He is a legend! He is Jurgen! So glad he is our manager and showed us how to believe again!

He can turn doubters into believers.. even Jose is a believer!!

"I don't gamble in football, I don't like gambling but I wouldn't bet one single coin on Liverpool playing in the final," Mourinho told beIN Sports ahead of the match.

"Anfield can make miracles but this would be more than that. 3-0 would be more than that.

"They are losing 3-0. Tonight is not about how to stop them. It is about how they can create an incredible situation to beat Barcelona after a 3-0 defeat. Tonight Anfield is a magic place to play, a beautiful place to play.

"Even people not in love with that club have to admit it is a magnificent club, incredible stadium and one of the best atmospheres.

"So when we say impossible is nothing we mean it but... it will be almost impossible."

After watching Liverpool's comeback, Mourinho was forced to admit he was wrong to write them off and credited the win to Klopp's never-say-die mentality.

"I didn't expect this," he added. "I did say impossible is nothing. If it is possible, Anfield is one of the places to make the impossible possible. But I have to say, this remontada [comeback] has one name - Jurgen.

"I think this is not about tactics or philosophy but heart and soul and fantastic empathy that he created with this group of players.

"They had the risk of finishing a fantastic season with nothing to celebrate and now they are one step from being European champions.

"I think Jurgen deserves this because the work they are doing in Liverpool is fantastic but I think this is about him, a reflection of his personality to not give up, his fighting spirit, every player giving everything."

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
What. A. Night. Absolutely stunning, and I've still no words to describe it.

Kloppo. It's as if this man had appeared on earth for the purpose of unleashing the power of Anfield. Of course, that's what the fans of Mainz will have said too when he brought them up from small-club to perennial Bundesliga status, and made them one of the most vibrant clubs there in terms of atmosphere. The Dortmund fans standing on the yellow wall during those seven glorious years will have said the same too. But this...

The sound coming from these stands... I mean, where do you have ever heard something similar? Yeah, in the old times of the standing Kop, fair enough... the games against Mönchengladbach, against St. Etienne aren't a part of our legend for nothing. It must have been unbelievable then too. But this night must rank up there, as one of the most vocal, vibrant atmospheres in world football. Ever.

The result makes it even more beautiful of course, but this atmosphere... talk about the crowd being the twelfth man... yesternight, the twelfth man was an absolute superstar, better than Messi or any other footballer having graced the game. The atmosphere literally pushed the boys towards glory. The Barca players, as good and experienced as they are, couldn't live with that. The cameras caught Suarez' and Messi's faces repeatedly: they didn't know what was hitting them. Literally. And it's all down to Klopp and how he gave back the belief to everyone. The players, the fans, everyone.

Remember, before Klopp came in, we were at what I think was an all-time low-ebb in terms of atmosphere at Anfield. People leaving before the last ten minutes of the game, an atmosphere as flat as it goes, opposing fans repeatedly chanting This is a Library... Kloppo, right from the start, said the following: We have to change from doubters to believers. These were his first words to the supporters.

With hindsight, it was a momentous call. It took several years to get there, but yesternight, the crowd stood behind the players like one man, believing in them. It wasn't only the Kop, it was every single Red in that stadium. The Anfield power was unleashed for good.

We have seen some glorious European nights at Anfield already with Klopp at the helm: Dortmund, Man City, Roma. But this one tops it easily. It was beautiful. Who wouldn't have tears coming when watching something like that?

Yesternight, Anfield lived up to it's legend. I'm feeling so grateful for this. Thank you from deep down my heart, Kloppo!!!
Speaking as someone who was there for Moenchengladbach and St. Etienne and others I have to agree - last night (not 'yesternight!) was the best there has ever been. I have never heard Anfield like that before. Yes, there has been raw, visceral passion before (Chelsea in the 1st CL semi), but last night was different. It was like team and crowd in perfect harmony. The way "Fields of Anfield Road" was rolling around the ground just before Gini got his first was magical. It was as if the team was surfing on the wave of emotion and not just being picked up by the crowd and flung at the opposition.

I'm so jealous of people who were lucky enough to be there. No wonder @ILLOK is a bit 'tired and emotional'!

Limiescouse

At the tail end of Rodgers’ tenure, back when the conversation had switched from IF to who the replacement will be, the two most prominent choices were Ancelotti and Klopp. I remember back then having big reservations about Klopp as I felt like a system manager, as I viewed him (geggenpress), is not a good choice for a big club. You have to buy players to suit the system, and then many will be surplus once the next manager comes in and doesn’t use the same system. Most of all though, systems work as a solution against the prevailing approach and so as football moves on the system becomes less relevant. Geggenpress is inherently better suited as a solution to an era of possession-based football, and we had already seen the move away from that as the dominant/trendy approach by the time we appointed him. I didn’t know how much Klopp had in his locker and so was skeptical. My thought was Carlo was probably choice because he was more flexible and could build a team around what he had and what challenges other teams posed.

I was wrong. Not only has Klopp shown us he has more to his tactical approach that just the system, but he has shown how it working at a club like this is about so much more than tactics. It is about overall leadership and creating a culture. There were numerous milestones along the way that got us here, most of them questioned at the time, but all vital in creating the culture that got us through last night.

• The celebration of the draw against West Brom as the start of getting the crowd back on side
  • The treatment of Sakho showing that there were expectations on how players conducted themselves
  • The refusal to reengage Draxler after he made it more about money than his career showing that he only wanted players who truly bought into what we were doing
  • If you believe the stories, he pushed to let Coutinho go in the summer as another example of the above
  • The refusal to just buy anyone after the VvD move fell through

Can anyone think of any more?

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
He understands what it means to be a Liverpool manager, that's key. Put himself last and never take credit on what happens on the pitch. Don't throw players under the bus and never exaggerate on players achievement.
He understand what is is to be human. Swears in the interview session, nothing fake about him.
His attitude is contagious. What our players are delivering on the pitch is far from being tactical, it's pure will and passion at times. Something Klopp possess plenty.

red arizona scott

Speaking as someone who was there for Moenchengladbach and St. Etienne and others I have to agree - last night (not 'yesternight!) was the best there has ever been. I have never heard Anfield like that before. Yes, there has been raw, visceral passion before (Chelsea in the 1st CL semi), but last night was different. It was like team and crowd in perfect harmony. The way "Fields of Anfield Road" was rolling around the ground just before Gini got his first was magical. It was as if the team was surfing on the wave of emotion and not just being picked up by the crowd and flung at the opposition.

I'm so jealous of people who were lucky enough to be there. No wonder @ILLOK is a bit 'tired and emotional'!
I am a bit to. Got to find a way to get my school aged boys and me across the pond for a European night next year. It was just stunning and Klopp is just this brilliant spark.

The effort and passion of the players, fans and manager, all in one direction with belief. That was the difference between those two giants yesterday.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
At the tail end of Rodgers’ tenure, back when the conversation had switched from IF to who the replacement will be, the two most prominent choices were Ancelotti and Klopp. I remember back then having big reservations about Klopp as I felt like a system manager, as I viewed him (geggenpress), is not a good choice for a big club. You have to buy players to suit the system, and then many will be surplus once the next manager comes in and doesn’t use the same system. Most of all though, systems work as a solution against the prevailing approach and so as football moves on the system becomes less relevant. Geggenpress is inherently better suited as a solution to an era of possession-based football, and we had already seen the move away from that as the dominant/trendy approach by the time we appointed him. I didn’t know how much Klopp had in his locker and so was skeptical. My thought was Carlo was probably choice because he was more flexible and could build a team around what he had and what challenges other teams posed.

I was wrong. Not only has Klopp shown us he has more to his tactical approach that just the system, but he has shown how it working at a club like this is about so much more than tactics. It is about overall leadership and creating a culture. There were numerous milestones along the way that got us here, most of them questioned at the time, but all vital in creating the culture that got us through last night.

• The celebration of the draw against West Brom as the start of getting the crowd back on side
  • The treatment of Sakho showing that there were expectations on how players conducted themselves
  • The refusal to reengage Draxler after he made it more about money than his career showing that he only wanted players who truly bought into what we were doing
  • If you believe the stories, he pushed to let Coutinho go in the summer as another example of the above

Pulled the plug on Texiera when he thought it was about money.

Waited for the right one before spending big on a keeper.

Wasn’t keen on Salah, but trusted his staff on their opinion.

When Robbo knocked on his door asking what he had to do to get into the team, Klopp told him. When he saw the Robbo had done what was asked of him, he rewarded him with starts.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
The effort and passion of the players, fans and manager, all in one direction with belief. That was the difference between those two giants yesterday.
This is JK's finest achievement. He has created a modern version of Shankly's 'Holy Trinity', that bond between the players, the fans and manager that can create the emotion and passion that makes victories like last night's a possibility. I love that he doesn't wallow in nostalgia, forever quoting old managers or name-checking historical acheivements. He doesn't need to prove that he gets the club. He just does. We all know it and we've all responded to it.

It was a great night last night but I hope it's not just remembered as an incredible one-off event, like Dortmund. It needs to be a pivotal moment that transforms a season that has been brilliant but looked as though it might end up with us winning nothing, into one that delivers a major trophy. CL, PL, (preferably both), I really don't mind but this club will go into fucking orbit if we pull one of those off this season. Now is the time.

Limiescouse

This is JK's finest achievement. He has created a modern version of Shankly's 'Holy Trinity', that bond between the players, the fans and manager that can create the emotion and passion that makes victories like last night's a possibility. I love that he doesn't wallow in nostalgia, forever quoting old managers or name-checking historical acheivements. He doesn't need to prove that he gets the club. He just does. We all know it and we've all responded to it.
There is a big pitfall looming when you try and learn from great leaders of the past and emulate them. It can be difficult to tell what behaviors produce the results you're looking for and what behaviors are the natural result of them. Very often you end up just mimicking someone and taking all the wrong lessons. When you hear some of the stories about Ole at Utd the last few weeks that is exactly what it seems like he's doing. It's what Rodgers looked like at Liverpool - someone who had read leadership books and theoretically understood them. It very quickly comes across as being a fraud. That is the danger of trying to play off a club's history. Klopp plays off many of the things that made us great in the past, but one of the things that is most apparent about Klopp is that he is truly authentic in what he does and how he does it.

Last edited:

pottymonster

I am one with the Force, the Force is with me.
The concern for me at this point is that we still haven't won anything. That can all change with a slice of good fortune in the next week, but this could end up being another nearly year. I guess I'm just disappointed with that.

In no way is this a criticism of Klopp; we've improved year on year with him in charge and the team is lightyears ahead of where it was when he took over and that's got to be almost entirely his own achievement. I honestly don't believe that there's any manager in the world who could have done any better than he has with us. The hope has to be that if we consistently challenge for honors that eventually we'll win some.

But still, how bad is our luck? League Cup runners up, Europa League runners up, Champions League runners up, now probably Premier League runners up and probably a Champions League semi-final exit. For fucks sake, in those 3 seasons Manchester City will have won the League twice, United won the Europa League, Chelsea have won the League and an FA Cup, and even fucking Arsenal have an FA Cup, and it's quite likely that one of those last two will also have a Europa League trophy at the end of this season. Like, fuck off. We've been on an upward trajectory and we've pretty clearly been the better side than 3 of those 4 for the last 2 seasons, but we're probably going to have nothing to show for it.

I guess I'm just really bummed out about yesterdays result. We should be competing at the same levels next season, but the pressure will be higher. Let's hope we can finally get it over the line then.
Get a load of this loser.

Not disappointed in the least.

Livvy

Alles wird gut
This was his team for Klopp's first game in charge... we shouldn't forget that and how much has changed over time.

Liverpool’s starting XI v Spurs:

Mignolet, Clyne, Skrtel, Sakho, Moreno, Leiva, Can, Milner, Lallana (replaced by Allen), Coutinho (replaced by Ibe), Origi
Subs: Toure, Allen, Ibe, Bogdan, Sinclair, Vilaca Teixeira, Randall

And now we will play them again... in a Champions League final. What a journey.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I get the excitement, but CalcioMercato though? Might be best to wait for further reports.
Yes, not until it is announced in the offal would I be celebrating. I only take Klopp's word on face value, the rest are all a bunch of shit stirrer and bullshit artists. So waiting anxiously to see if this extension will happen.

Bonus

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member

the night in Rome last season after knocking out Roma in the semi finals.
after the game he went to the travelling kop, and applauded them.

It might not look like much, but it meant a lot, he was thanking them for their support,
showing them some appreciation, making the fans feel valued and part of the club.

as i said at the time......

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters........."

Somebody very famous and revered once said.

Jurgens bringing it back.

absolutely love the man....

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
Jūrgen Norbert Klopp, known affectionately as Kloppo, is a Liverpool manager made from the same mould as the great William 'Shanks' Shankly. He's doing more or less the same things that Shanks did when arriving at Anfield. Bill said he was building a team of invincibility that would be a powerhouse within English football, and isn't that what our Kloppo is doing right now? This man will take us on to greatness and the silverware will surely follow.

At Liverpool FC we have been truly blessed with great managers in the time that I have been following our great football club, and the list includes: William 'Shanks' Shankly, Robert 'Bob' Paisley, Ronald 'Sarge' Moran (Caretaker), Joseph 'Joe' Fagan, Kenneth 'the King' Dalglish, Graeme 'Souey' Souness, Roy Evans, Gérard Houllier, Rafael 'Rafa' Benítez, Roy Hodgson, Kenneth Dalglish (2nd spell), Brendan Rodgers and now Jūrgen Norbert Klopp. What a fantastic list of great managers with each one adding to the history and greatness of Liverpool Football Club. I have been lucky to have travelled through time with them, through the defeats and successes in the league and various cup competitions and fully believe that our Kloppo will continue in that successful vein.