• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Jürgen Klopp: 2018 - 2019

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Best thing Jürgen can do for us (after winning the league) is a leave succession plan for the next manager like Shanks did.... and I’m getting the feeling, that’s how he will leave us - set up for sustained success.
We should never expects the manager to do his own succession planning, that’s the job for the director.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
In my opinion the idea of succession planning in football, is a bit of a myth. Has there ever been a club to get this right?

Utd had twenty years of Slur Alex to get this right, and they fucked it right up. Arsenal knew Wenger was on the way out for at least 2-3 years and they face a page one rewrite now as well.

The only club that ever really did this was us, as we went from Shankly to Paisley, to Fagan, to Dalglish. And football was a very different game then.

I fear that football is always something that is influenced by the individual. When that individual needs to be replaced, then the plan gets rebooted, whether that’s a manager or a director.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
For whatever reason I don't fancy Stevie as a manager. Just my gut feel about it. I'd love to be wrong though.
Yeah I have the same feeling, might have something to do with the fact he still actively trains with the team and scores worldies. Seems a bit weird.

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
In my opinion the idea of succession planning in football, is a bit of a myth. Has there ever been a club to get this right?

Utd had twenty years of Slur Alex to get this right, and they fucked it right up. Arsenal knew Wenger was on the way out for at least 2-3 years and they face a page one rewrite now as well.

The only club that ever really did this was us, as we went from Shankly to Paisley, to Fagan, to Dalglish. And football was a very different game then.

I fear that football is always something that is influenced by the individual. When that individual needs to be replaced, then the plan gets rebooted, whether that’s a manager or a director.
I'd like to think the club and even Klopp I imagine will plan for his exit. Klopp is the perfect man for an understudy to work alongside.
By time Klopp leaves the club will no doubt be an even more fine tuned machine anyway so it wont be a complete rebuild job. Just keep the style of play and tweak the personnel and we should be sound.
All best case scenario like, could just go tits up once he leaves ha. Hopefully the people at the top know what they're doing, they've done okay on the most part so far

redaderry

I think one of the issues at the top level clubs is that managers are all very strong characters with varying degrees of big egos. Most of them would never be seen to be adopting another manager's ethos or style and they all strive to put their own stamp on the clubs and teams. Just so happens that some of them are good at it (Klopp for example) and some are shit (Moyes for example) Some are good when they're handed a dumper truck filled with cash to buy, but would otherwise be probably shit too (Maureen for example IMO). Bringing in the 'big' names doesn't always work for this reason. See Man United, and Chelsea to a degree, Arsenal yet to produce anything of note with Emery.
Liverpool were lucky in the Shankly/Paisley/Fagan/Dalglish years as these were transitions to people who had modest egos and knew the club well being part of the successful system before taking over the reins. They had no reason to impose a knew style in their own image.
Liverpool were also very lucky with Klopp. He is like winning a jackpot, all bells and lights flashing while the coins spill onto the floor!

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
We should never expects the manager to do his own succession planning, that’s the job for the director.
Agree with this. The manager might have a word to say if he's there since long enough, but Mascot's example of Ferguson is striking. His succession didn't work, and that's because the Glazers and Woodward got it wrong. Ferguson got his wish with Moyes, but with hindsight, it was the wrong move. A strong board of directors would have known this and made the succession-planning in advance, with a higher-profile manager, or with someone from within if available.

As for us, we are thankfully not there. Klopp is still too young for a role as a national manager. He loves the day-to-day stuff and the development work far too much to give it up, especially in the phase we are in now. When he is sixty or so, he'll eventually consider the national manager job, but if his health stays ok, I'd be stunned if he does it earlier.

If I'm right and he's to stay with us for a longer while yet, then succession planning isn't really a topic for the time being. But of course, the directors should always have a plan B in their sleeves, just in case something unexpected happens.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Liverpool were lucky in the Shankly/Paisley/Fagan/Dalglish years as these were transitions to people who had modest egos and knew the club well being part of the successful system before taking over the reins. They had no reason to impose a knew style in their own image.
Paisley still felt he needed to keep Shankly away from the day-to-day running of the club, to ensure that he had the freedom and space to work his own way.

I think the important thing is they (Bob, Joe and Kenny) we’re all products of the club. They didn’t come in with new ideas. Their ideas were the clubs ideas.

This is why I think Ljinders is the successor, rather than Gerrard of Xabi.

roydom

TIA Reserve Team
For whatever reason I don't fancy Stevie as a manager. Just my gut feel about it. I'd love to be wrong though.
Agree on this. I was saying on another thread that he was a very emotive player and he seems to have carried that onto management but not in a positive way. He may learn to temper it with time and experience but right now he wouldn't be anywhere near consideration on merit. I'm very interested in seeing how Alonso fares with the Sociedad B side. If we're looking at ex players he's the most likely imo

Limiescouse

I think I'd be firmly in the camp of let him take a year out, recharge batteries and come back refreshed. It's a difficult situation, though - maybe someone like Lijnders would be in a position to hold the fort for a year while employing Klopp's methods and tactics. I'm not sure if anything like that has happened in the sport before.
It cannot be done effectively. It is too long a period to just let momentum take its course, and the position doesnt provide the required authority to make your own important decisions. What would an interim Pep do if 1 month in one of Klopp's important players started pulling a Sakho? Sure, short term he could drop him, but that just allows the situation to fester. Would he have the authority to sell a player Klopp valued?

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
It cannot be done effectively. It is too long a period to just let momentum take its course, and the position doesnt provide the required authority to make your own important decisions. What would an interim Pep do if 1 month in one of Klopp's important players started pulling a Sakho? Sure, short term he could drop him, but that just allows the situation to fester. Would he have the authority to sell a player Klopp valued?
Obviously the circumstances are very different, it's just that I remember reading in Kenny's autobiography that when he left the first time he'd asked for a temporary leave of absence to revitalise himself but the club instead chose to let him go... we brought in Souness and the rest is history. I just thought if there was a way to stop the same happening with Klopp it was worth investigating. He has trusted lieutenant's at the club. Who's to say that in three years Lijnders won't be in a position to hold the fort for a single or partial season?

Flobs

FADA
I can not see Klopp leaving us in the mess Fergusson and Wenger left Manure and Arse. The footballing side of our club has been and is in good hands and I feel will get better in the next few years. This will mean that when and if Klopp leaves the next manager will be able to concentrate on his job and have greater chance of getting it right.
In this sense I think is good that managers don't stay too long (whatever that means).It means they leave their stamp but don't mark the club (if that makes any sense).
Just trying to say I think Klopp knows what he's doing and when the time comes will do the right thing if he's not accepting a new contract it's to leave his options open for the benefit of the club (and himself). When the time is righti feel he will make the correct decission.

Magnus

Agree with this. The manager might have a word to say if he's there since long enough, but Mascot's example of Ferguson is striking. His succession didn't work, and that's because the Glazers and Woodward got it wrong. Ferguson got his wish with Moyes, but with hindsight, it was the wrong move. A strong board of directors would have known this and made the succession-planning in advance, with a higher-profile manager, or with someone from within if available.

As for us, we are thankfully not there. Klopp is still too young for a role as a national manager. He loves the day-to-day stuff and the development work far too much to give it up, especially in the phase we are in now. When he is sixty or so, he'll eventually consider the national manager job, but if his health stays ok, I'd be stunned if he does it earlier.

If I'm right and he's to stay with us for a longer while yet, then succession planning isn't really a topic for the time being. But of course, the directors should always have a plan B in their sleeves, just in case something unexpected happens.
Agree with most of what you say, but to be frank, I am not entirely convinced that Moyes was a bad choice. I am not convinced he was given enough time. I used to think so, but these days I have become a bit less quick to judge managers for just a single tenure etc. Because when you think about it, what Moyes did at Everton was very impressive. Then later, he failed in Spain of course, there is that. Then again, hardly any Englishman apart from a very select few players have succeeded in Spain.

MinniMo

Klopp would never leave us in a mess, he will have noted the examples of both Arsenal and MUFC and already decided its not the way he will leave us. I reckon his replacement will 'for sure' be an ex player, someone who gets the Liverpool Way as Klopp has. Gerrard still has a long way to go, and needs to trial out with a decent PL team first - let's hope Klopp stays long enough to give SG that time!

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member

Claymenza

Good point. Usually succession planning tends to be "do what i did"

The boot room worked in the 70s and 80s when the game wasn't changing as quickly as they do nowadays.

When steven gerrard decided to go to rangers, it was because he felt like when he's ready; he wouldn't survive if he was just doing what klopp did. He needed to be his own person elsewhere. I feel FSG is handling this well though with Pep Ljinders. Buvac was never going to be a number 1. He's the new brainiac although he happens to have a good relationship with the players too.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Klopp would never leave us in a mess, he will have noted the examples of both Arsenal and MUFC and already decided its not the way he will leave us. I reckon his replacement will 'for sure' be an ex player, someone who gets the Liverpool Way as Klopp has. Gerrard still has a long way to go, and needs to trial out with a decent PL team first - let's hope Klopp stays long enough to give SG that time!
I thought to myself, I didn't post that...then realised we share the same icon lol