• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Jürgen Klopp: 2018 - 2019

CanuckoLFC

Ghost in the Shell SAC
Klopp would never leave us in a mess, ...

Did Klopp have any succession plan when he left BVB? Was Tuchel groomed as Klopp succcessor 4-5 years ago? BVB already has 2 different managers since Klopp left. Now that Klopp is older and wiser, I am hoping LFC, together with Klopp (before he decided he has enough) have a long term plan for our beloved football club.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
Did Klopp have any succession plan when he left BVB? Was Tuchel groomed as Klopp succcessor 4-5 years ago? BVB already has 2 different managers since Klopp left. Now that Klopp is older and wiser, I am hoping LFC, together with Klopp (before he decided he has enough) have a long term plan for our beloved football club.
It’s not upto Klopp to leave a succession plan, but the club to do it.

So when Klopp leaves, maybe Kravitz and few other “minor” coaches leave - but a lot of coaching staff stay - and new manager takes over - May bring in an assistant, but agree to work with a lot of the others.

When fergie left and moyes came, there was an overhaul and even David gill left too.

We need more consistency. But heck, good few years left for this. Let’s first get a hug from Klopp.

Livvy

Alles wird gut
Maybe it's difficult for some to understand, but this is probably the first time in Klopp's career that he has built a team he likes and that is not bought apart immediately after a big success. All major players stay and / or return after a long injury. As I see it, he is absolutely satisfied as it is now. And now he wants to further develop the team and take the next step with them. That may not please everyone, but he won't care. As long as his absolutely desired player does not come on the market, he will not change anything and will wait patiently. And if our youth players are good enough to widen the squad, so much the better. Then there is no reason for him to buy any gap filler.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Increasingly resigned to the fact that klopp will leave Liverpool after his contract is up.

He's been open about it from the start. One thing is for sure , he'll leave a heck of a legacy and a huge positive change in the club when he does leave.

Wont stop me being gutted though when it does happen

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Increasingly resigned to the fact that klopp will leave Liverpool after his contract is up.

He's been open about it from the start. One thing is for sure , he'll leave a heck of a legacy and a huge positive change in the club when he does leave.

Wont stop me being gutted though when it does happen
I don't want to cry yet SithBaare. I don't want to think about it

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Maybe it's difficult for some to understand, but this is probably the first time in Klopp's career that he has built a team he likes and that is not bought apart immediately after a big success. All major players stay and / or return after a long injury. As I see it, he is absolutely satisfied as it is now. And now he wants to further develop the team and take the next step with them. That may not please everyone, but he won't care. As long as his absolutely desired player does not come on the market, he will not change anything and will wait patiently. And if our youth players are good enough to widen the squad, so much the better. Then there is no reason for him to buy any gap filler.
This is an excellent point, his Dortmund sides got dismantled every summer (or at least 1 or 2 key pieces needing replacing), if it hadn't I'm sure he would have followed the exact same blueprint he is employing here.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
I wonder what happened in between Klopp's "if the other teams spend big, we will to" at the beginning of the transfer window and "this is not the end of LFC. Next year there will be another transfer window".

Basically he is crying poor, thought that the CL made a bundle so that we could afford two new players to make us stronger. IMHO we did not come closer to City let alone overtake them. Hope I'm wrong, afraid I'm not.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I wonder what happened in between Klopp's "if the other teams spend big, we will to" at the beginning of the transfer window and "this is not the end of LFC. Next year there will be another transfer window".

Basically he is crying poor, thought that the CL made a bundle so that we could afford two new players to make us stronger. IMHO we did not come closer to City let alone overtake them. Hope I'm wrong, afraid I'm not.

How many signings did Real make when they won the CL 3 years running? 1 senior player Courtois who was actually a huge downgrade. Its proven if you keep a team together, promote from within you have better success.

Why cant people not accept the lack of spending is down to Klopp?

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
So would I don’t think it will happen though.
Literally nothing suggests that this squad would be any less competitive this season.

Our squad is another year older = good.
City's squad is another year older = bad.

Fabinho, Henderson, Matip, Gomez, Shaqiri, Keïta, Origi, Lallana, and Oxlade-Chamberlain all played less than 3,000 minutes for us last season, most of them way less. We have added Brewster, Wilson, Elliott, Hoever, and Larouci to the list of players who can play the bit-part roles as needed. (And Woodburn?)

We are stronger than we were, without a doubt.

Last edited:

Commando

Ad-free Member
Literally nothing suggests that this squad would be any less competitive this season.

Our squad is another year older = good.
City's squad is another year older = bad.

Fabinho, Henderson, Matip, Gomez, Shaqiri, Keïta, Origi, Lallana, and Oxlade-Chamberlain all played less than 3,000 minutes for us last season, most of them way less. We have added Wilson, Elliott, Hoever, and Larouci to the list of players who can play the bit-part roles as needed. (And Woodburn?)

We are stronger than we were, without a doubt.

I'd add Brewster to the list of add Ons above. I can see (hopefully) him getting some minutes from the bench in the coming season.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
@Prolix It is not about less competitive, it is about gaining on City and overtaking them, I don't see that happening, perhaps you do.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
@Prolix It is not about less competitive, it is about gaining on City and overtaking them, I don't see that happening, perhaps you do.

Our squad hasn't changed,infact you'd say the team has got stronger with another season under its belt and last seasons new signings bedded in.Man City have lost its club captain and probably most influential player in Kompany,a few of their star players are now the wrong side of 30 and probably in the final season with them (David Silva 33,Aguero 31,Otamendi 31,Fernandinho 34,Bravo 36),they've added Rodri who you'd probably have to give time to settle in,so you wouldn't say they've got stronger.

Looking at that,i'd say we've gained on them and we haven't spent a penny on our first team.My main issue with this whole comparing us with City is that they've clearly cheated FFP to get the squad they have,untill we win a few more leagues,CL's and the other cups,only then would we be able to spend the type of cash on players it would cost to get the depth Man City have atm,without breaking FFP rules.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
I'd add Brewster to the list of add Ons above. I can see (hopefully) him getting some minutes from the bench in the coming season.
Oops! Yeah, he's the one I'm most excited about. Forgot him in the edits.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Some of the teams below us may gain on us but that's no bad thing considering the gap, I still think we are better than just about everyone, as for Man City I don't think we've fallen anywhere behind them.

I would have liked to see some cover for the forwards but I'm not bothered with signing back ups elsewhere, my concern does lie with the availability of the front 3, if they are available or are able to be replaced then we can top 90 points again. If we lose 2 from 3 at any point we may struggle. But that is a given with any team.

Man City will have in my view got worse whilst we will have improved. Winning the CL will have improved players, I would like to keep players like Wilson as options but we will see. Unlike Rafa and Rodgers years we haven't got worse, in fact with the return of certain players we've improved.

As for Klopp leaving,as I have always said this is his last club job in my view, he may go to the national team of Germany after this but I feel he may well sign a small extension.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Our manager, together with that Guardiola fella, is unhappy with the amount of football their players had to play (well I think we have to play more than anyone else if we progress further in all comps).

And I agree with them, even a supporter can feel the emotional fatigue. Imagine the players....

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Dunno if it's a habit with guardiola but this shield match he was lining up in front of the team in the dugout which was probably implying that it was his team whereas klopp was behind his players which means that the players are the forefront of what he wishes to accomplish. Might be reading too much into this , but for me , it signifies a willingness to let the players take the center stage all the while knowing that he's got their back.

Maybe reading too much into this though