• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Jürgen Klopp: 2018 - 2019

Gilb4444

No. In my opinion it had nothing to do with us not handling the stress and more to do with poor officiating. It worries me more that those same officials will be refereeing in the Prem this season.
unsure what officiating we were really impacted by on a negative note last year? in terms of poor decisions its all about swings and roundabouts. People talk about the Kompany "red card" but ignore the VVD "red card"

Commando

Ad-free Member
unsure what officiating we were really impacted by on a negative note last year? in terms of poor decisions its all about swings and roundabouts. People talk about the Kompany "red card" but ignore the VVD "red card"
VvD red card? Which game/incident was this?

I was thinking more of the Harry Maguire non red card against LC at home. Especially as he went on to score the equaliser.

I’m not trying to suggest that there’s a conspiracy against us. Just my opinion that for very well paid professionals, PL refs are not very good at what they do.

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
VvD red card? Which game/incident was this?

I was thinking more of the Harry Maguire non red card against LC at home. Especially as he went on to score the equaliser.

I’m not trying to suggest that there’s a conspiracy against us. Just my opinion that for very well paid professionals, PL refs are not very good at what they do.
Can't remember who it was against but VVD got the ball and the man whereas old light bulb head was trying to wipe Salah out,in my very very unbiased opinion of course.

Incognito

The Normal One
"He did the meeting with his shirt stuffed inside his ‘CR7’ boxers. The whole changing room was on the floor laughing their heads off"

In bits at this. What a f*****g fella!
From the quotes thread.

Just have to say, what a man! There are some wonderful life lessons you can get from Klopp. :J

Spitfire

Resident Realist
What do you make of Shaq piping up about not getting game time
He isn't so its understandable, I guess it depends on the source; i.e has he aired the grievance in the press?

From a footballing perspective, you want players that want to get on the pitch.......and compete to do so.

I can imagine that when we start to get cup games, world club cup etc all start to stack up that we rotate more and he will see game time....at the start of the season though he won't rotate unless he has to.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Jürgen Klopp sets Liverpool record after Southampton win
Glenn Price@GlennPrice94

Liverpool's 2-1 victory over Southampton on Saturday saw Jürgen Klopp amass 300 league points in fewer games than any manager in the club's history.

The trip to St Mary's was the German's 146th league match in charge of the Reds since taking over in October 2015.
The three points claimed after goals from Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino helped Klopp surpass the mark previously set by Sir Kenny Dalglish, who reached the threshold in 150 fixtures.
Club statistician Ged Rea has broken down the numbers based on three points for a win.

Number of games to reach 300 league points

Jürgen Klopp – 146 (17/8/19)
Kenny Dalglish (first spell) – 150 (14/3/89)
Rafael Benitez – 159 (5/10/08)
Bob Paisley – 161 (8/4/78)
Bill Shankly – 166 (30/11/63)
Gerard Houllier – 169 (8/3/03)
Tom Watson – 197 (6/9/02)
Matt McQueen – 205 (2/1/28)
George Kay – 212 (25/8/48)
George Patterson – 220 (27/12/32)

Quite a remarkable achievement when considering the fact that Klopp had to entirely reconstruct the squad after the shambles Rodgers had left us with, and hadn't even a first summer pre-season to prepare the players when he came in. Congrats Kloppo, long may that continue!

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
its actually mind boggling when you think of the great teams and seamless handovers from past eras.

it also illistrates the absolute ruthlessness of modern football.

when we hark back to days gone by, we have to remember we were dominating a league with less consistent results than we have to get now just to challenge.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Interesting view into how Klopp sees rotation in midfield compared to other parts of the team:

Maybe it's no surprise we're so well stocked in CM compared with defence and attack.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I'm just gonna leave this here as I've been the most unpopular person on here recently for saying it:

“No player should play 50 or 60 games a season, especially not in these intense [midfield] positions,” said Klopp. “Give whatever you have and next game maybe somebody else will do the job and you will come on or whatever. That’s the plan but we can only do that if they all stay fit. Last season we couldn’t do that and the year before we couldn’t do that – we went to the Champions League final in 2018 with the only three midfielders we had and last season we had only four midfielders for the last 10 or 12 games. Now they’re all back and we will use all of them.”

There aren't many more physically demanding roles in Klopps side than down the wings (Full backs and wide forwards).

Zinedine Biscan

Ad-free Member
I'm just gonna leave this here as I've been the most unpopular person on here recently for saying it:

“No player should play 50 or 60 games a season, especially not in these intense [midfield] positions,” said Klopp. “Give whatever you have and next game maybe somebody else will do the job and you will come on or whatever. That’s the plan but we can only do that if they all stay fit. Last season we couldn’t do that and the year before we couldn’t do that – we went to the Champions League final in 2018 with the only three midfielders we had and last season we had only four midfielders for the last 10 or 12 games. Now they’re all back and we will use all of them.”

There aren't many more physically demanding roles in Klopps side than down the wings (Full backs and wide forwards).
It's part of the reason I posted the article. What you say crossed my mind also, but it seems clear the boss sees it differently. *shrug*

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member

Sorry but he specifically says midfield positions (which we have good depth) and you then say the most demanding are down the wings (not what he said).

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin

You’re taking the managers quote and deliberately misrepresenting it. He is saying he hasn’t had the depth before, and now he has. And he is talking about the midfield positions, where he has six or seven to choose from.

The argument in the summer wasn’t you saying we could do with more lads and others saying we don’t. It was you saying ‘We should sign another forward’ and other people saying ‘Yeah we should, but this might be a bit harder than we assume’

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Err guys although hes talking about midfield at the time he specifically says "no player should play 50 or 60 games"! And Mascot not everyone said what you've said many have argued that having Origi, Shaqiri and Brewster to come off the bench, play in the cups and have the odd start is enough. But as per my argument, backed up by Klopp in the above, we will have to have those players cover more games than others have argued we will only need them for. Bringing in additional quality up top and cover for full back was essential and should have been realised that way and alternatives brought in if the "right" target couldn't be brought (like we did with Robertson when we couldn't land Chilwell or Salah when we couldn't land Brandt and couldn't wait any longer because we needed to fill the positions). I think we are waiting for the right guy/target and that could harm us too much this season with as many as 69 games to play.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Err guys although hes talking about midfield at the time he specifically says "no player should play 50 or 60 games"! And Mascot not everyone said what you've said many have argued that having Origi, Shaqiri and Brewster to come off the bench, play in the cups and have the odd start is enough. But as per my argument, backed up by Klopp in the above, we will have to have those players cover more games than others have argued we will only need them for. Bringing in additional quality up top and cover for full back was essential and should have been realised that way and alternatives brought in if the "right" target couldn't be brought (like we did with Robertson when we couldn't land Chilwell or Salah when we couldn't land Brandt and couldn't wait any longer because we needed to fill the positions). I think we are waiting for the right guy/target and that could harm us too much this season with as many as 69 games to play.
The problem with your arguement is the players you mentioned were all brought here (and the ones before them in the "list") as starting players. That is not the case now.

You still ignore the fact that when fit Klopp plays Mane, Firmino and Salah, so we have a pretty much 100% prefered front 3 (not the case for our midfield or defense). This gives us a near impossible job of bringing in the right level (above what we have the club already) to play second fiddle.

This is the level we are looking at.. I'm happy to wait..

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Let’s, for the sake of your argument, say Klopp is saying his forwards shouldn’t be playing 60 games.

Why do think they will?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Let’s, for the sake of your argument, say Klopp is saying his forwards shouldn’t be playing 60 games.

Why do think they will?
He said 50 or 60. So let's assume Klopp is talking 40-45 starts maybe with a couple sub appearances. We are guaranteed 50+, likely 60+ maybe as many as 68/69 games. 3 forward roles. So minimum 150 starts as many as 200. Ideally Klopps saying no more than 45 starts each for Firmino, Mane and Salah which covers 135 (last season they covered 137 so not completely ridiculous is it?). So we have somewhere between 15 and 65 starts to cover. As we will likely face more than 60 games, probably no more than 65 as unlikely to go to every final then we can go with a best guess of around 180-195 starts or 45-60 starts to cover. A new signing under Klopp isn't likely to start similar to Fabinho maybe? Around 30 starts. So 15-30 starts plus well over 100 substitutes appearances to Brewster, Shaqiri and Origi. If wed bought a new forward this summer they could have already started Norwich, Super Cup and the shield matches.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Yeah. But we didn’t/couldn’t/wouldn’t

Time to move on and enjoy the season?
Sorry but the way I've been getting treated and responded too all summer like I'm some crack pot, glass half empty, deluded, idiot over this no. I'm pointing out that Klopp has literally just said what I've been mocked on here for saying over the last few months. Thought this was the appropriate thread for discussion of what Klopp says? So basically there has been debate on here over a subject. I've put my opinion on it. I've been mocked and ridiculed for that opinion and generally treated in a hostile manner. Klopp now says what was the whole foundation of what my opinion is based on, what I was criticised for pointing out, and what? "Theres a good lad, just shut up about it, no negative talk welcome here"?

Zinedine Biscan

Ad-free Member
Sorry but the way I've been getting treated and responded too all summer like I'm some crack pot, glass half empty, deluded, idiot over this no. I'm pointing out that Klopp has literally just said what I've been mocked on here for saying over the last few months. Thought this was the appropriate thread for discussion of what Klopp says? So basically there has been debate on here over a subject. I've put my opinion on it. I've been mocked and ridiculed for that opinion and generally treated in a hostile manner. Klopp now says what was the whole foundation of what my opinion is based on, what I was criticised for pointing out, and what? "Theres a good lad, just shut up about it, no negative talk welcome here"?
You're missing a key point here, Klopp said that, Klopp decides the makeup of the squad... don't you think he has a plan?

And it's not so much what you say but the frequency with which you say it. You could say nothing but "Klopp is the bestest ever!" but if you posted it 40 or 50 times a day every day after several months everyone would be sick of hearing it.

Can't we just take it as read by this point that you think we're a little bit short in some areas and just all move on?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
New players don't normally jump straight into action under Klopp,
You mean apart from Salah, Mane, Firmino (not his signing but a new player still when Jurgen arrived), Alisson, Van Dijk, Wijnaldum, Milner, Keita (although he then tailed off) or Shaqiri (on the bench or coming off the bench straight away, never seen as anything more)?

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Klopp says this, Klopp says that. While he may be the manager of the club, he has a boss to report to and let's leave it to him and his bosses to decide what is best for now. If the wheel fell off so be it, what else could one do? So many factors at play, and we might not be able to afford some of the players we targeted. Who knows.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
You're missing a key point here, Klopp said that, Klopp decides the makeup of the squad... don't you think he has a plan?

And it's not so much what you say but the frequency with which you say it. You could say nothing but "Klopp is the bestest ever!" but if you posted it 40 or 50 times a day every day after several months everyone would be sick of hearing it.

Can't we just take it as read by this point that you think we're a little bit short in some areas and just all move on?
I wouldn't keep having to say it if everyone didn't disagree with my reasons for saying it would I? Klopp has now stated the same as me when it comes to ideal playing time, something many argue with me everytime I point it out.

And yes, Klopps plan appears to be to make do with Shaqiri, Origi whilst occasionally playing Ox and Wijnaldum further forward and trusting in the potential of kids like Brewster. Then return to the market next summer when his ideal target/targets will hopefully be available. That's how he works. However, my point for a while has been, when he does turn to the alternatives from the transfer committee (Robertson/Salah) because we can't go another season without strengthening a position, well those players tend to work out pretty damn good as we have a cracking scouting and recruitment team. So this summer we needed to realise the urgency of the situation, the amount of playing time we would need to cover, and go for one of the alternatives now.

Anyway, can't be arsed with it anymore.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
I wouldn't keep having to say it if everyone didn't disagree with my reasons for saying it would I? Klopp has now stated the same as me when it comes to ideal playing time, something many argue with me everytime I point it out.

And yes, Klopps plan appears to be to make do with Shaqiri, Origi whilst occasionally playing Ox and Wijnaldum further forward and trusting in the potential of kids like Brewster. Then return to the market next summer when his ideal target/targets will hopefully be available. That's how he works. However, my point for a while has been, when he does turn to the alternatives from the transfer committee (Robertson/Salah) because we can't go another season without strengthening a position, well those players tend to work out pretty damn good as we have a cracking scouting and recruitment team. So this summer we needed to realise the urgency of the situation, the amount of playing time we would need to cover, and go for one of the alternatives now.

Anyway, can't be arsed with it anymore.
For the record Dreamer I tend to agree with you. I would have liked to see a new front/wide pacy player brought in to compete with Sadbobmo and Lallana/Shaq/Milner sold or released with higher quality brought in for the engine room. I would have gone in heavily for Ndombele and paired him with Fabinho if it were down to me. I would have moved for Fernandez too given the chance. (fantasy football is easy on paper).
Anybody fancy Ndombele, Fabinho and Fernandez in behind Sadio, Bobby and Mo?.....Yes fucking please.
For many reasons that hasn't happened and the discussion of those possibilities has been done to death. My feeling is Klopp has decided to rely on Ox, Keita, Origi and Brewster.............and in fairness don't they deserve the chance?
Its easy to see your frustration and lets be frank you have expressed it constantly over the last few months in multiple threads. I respect your opinions by the way and as I said I agree with them in general but constantly banging the same drum is wearing everybody out, yourself included.
In any case with the window closed and we have a trophy in the bag and a massive game this weekend so lets focus on the football instead mate.
The funds are in the bank for January if needs be anyway!