• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Jürgen Klopp: 2018 - 2019

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
You mean apart from Salah, Mane, Firmino (not his signing but a new player still when Jurgen arrived), Alisson, Van Dijk, Wijnaldum, Milner, Keita (although he then tailed off) or Shaqiri (on the bench or coming off the bench straight away, never seen as anything more)?
They were obviously bought to go straight in to replace under performing players which is different to bringing someone in to cover our front three,or are you suggesting we're replacing one of them.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
They were obviously bought to go straight in to replace under performing players which is different to bringing someone in to cover our front three,or are you suggesting we're replacing one of them.
This is I think what the problem is.

What ArD is suggesting he was arguing for, is somewhat different to what he was actually arguing for and an inability to realise what everyone else has been arguing about.

Nobody was ever disputing the number of games we might be playing or that we would only ever play with Salah, Bobby and Mané, just what the answer to that solution was and why it wasn't as simple as just buying another player. At least not this summer.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
This is I think what the problem is.

What ArD is suggesting he was arguing for, is somewhat different to what he was actually arguing for and an inability to realise what everyone else has been arguing about.

Nobody was ever disputing the number of games we might be playing or that we would only ever play with Salah, Bobby and Mané, just what the answer to that solution was and why it wasn't as simple as just buying another player. At least not this summer.
The worst bit, pretty much everyone agrees with ArD and RF2014 before him - We look a bit short with depth, with a backup needed for left back and the forwards.

Most people however can see Klopp has followed his historical way of working, promoted from within, given youth a chance, and looked for flexible options to give players he likes gametime, rather than buy for buying sake. All whilst probably waiting for the right player to become available.

P.s. Its already documented a club offered Dortmund a good fee for Sancho and were told to come back next summer.. I’d like to think we would be in that mix.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Sorry but the way I've been getting treated and responded too all summer like I'm some crack pot, glass half empty, deluded, idiot over this no. I'm pointing out that Klopp has literally just said what I've been mocked on here for saying over the last few months. Thought this was the appropriate thread for discussion of what Klopp says? So basically there has been debate on here over a subject. I've put my opinion on it. I've been mocked and ridiculed for that opinion and generally treated in a hostile manner. Klopp now says what was the whole foundation of what my opinion is based on, what I was criticised for pointing out, and what? "Theres a good lad, just shut up about it, no negative talk welcome here"?
You are talking Klopp’s comments completely out of context and twisting them to suit you. Klopp’s comments (the ones you posted) looked to me like he was saying that in previous seasons we were forcing lads to play 50+ games - but he is happy with the depth this year.

You’ve focussed entirely on the 50-60 games thing, and because you’ve decided the depth we have means the forwards will be playing 60 games (which isn’t necessarily the case), you’re claim Klopp’s comments completely vindicate you. Which they only do if you perform your mental gymnastics to them.

At the end of the day the point of disagreement between us was that you wanted us to sign another forward, whereas I wanted us to sign another forward but accept buying football players is more complex than a game of football manager in 2005.

We’re a team of world class footballers at the peak of their powers, operating under a remarkable manager who values squad harmony and togetherness above all else. If the right player had been available, we’d have bought him. Our lack of activity suggests the right player wasn’t available.

This is why I find this clamour for players, as expressed by you, RedForever and a few others tedious as fuck. Whenever the conversation turns to “Alright then, who do you expect to come here at a reasonable fee, and be happy to sit behind the front three, while not being that far off their level”, the sodding predictable answer always seems to be “I don’t know. I’m not the scouting department. That’s their job not mine - but we just need to get someone in”.

That’s the scouting department that is literally the envy of the game, by the way. There isn’t another club in Europe who isn’t envious of the operation we have at Anfield. These lads are literally at the top of their profession. If they, and Klopp, and the coaches think there isn’t a player out there for us this summer, shouldn’t we be included to trust them?

So me saying isn’t it time to put this argument to bed and enjoy the season, isn’t meant to mock you. It’s that literally we’ve done this to death now. This summer we should have been glowing in the aftermath of being crowned European Champions, and it lasted a month before people found the next thing to moan about. I’m fucked if I want to let it ruin the season as well.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
P.s. Its already documented a club offered Dortmund a good fee for Sancho and were told to come back next summer.. I’d like to think we would be in that mix.
The approach that @Anfield rd Dreamer has advocated - going down a list until we get to a lad that we can get - is how the club has operated in the past and it is literally how we ended up with Mario Balotelli, Jermaine Pennant, Andy Carroll and countless others.

If the club have identified Sacho as the one they want, then they are absolutely right to hold tight and wait for him.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
If we did sign somebody this summer, where does that leave poor kylian for next summer?

He goes from being one of the best players in the world to 5th maybe even 6th choice behind sadio, mo, bobby, Rhian and the newbie.

It’s a pretty heavy fall from World Cup hero to getting the odd game in the English league cup

Considering how he’s pretty much begged us to sign him, shouldn’t we have a bit of common decency and not shit on his dreams?

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
A good friend of mine knows Rhian Brewsters dad (they were at school together) - and when Brewster signed new contract - one of the issues was how much 1st team game time he would get.

Klopp categorically told all his players - that he wanted 2 options for each position - the front 3 - and second 3 was Shaqiri, origi and Brewster. I think Shaqiri and origi are 1st team material - Brewster has to prove himself but Klopp has faith in him.

6 months ago Origi was probably a gonner, but that turned around. Then there’s the likes of Lallana who is probably in last season with us.

And because Klopp feels he has enough depth, he’s let Wilson go on loan too.

Remember transfer window opens again in January if there’s is any glaring issue.

I don’t think we are light - maybe left back... but we have a few players to cover. Klopp is even open to Lovren going, shows how much faith he has is squad overall.

Trust in Klopp - lack of forward signing is his choice.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
I also heard that Shaqiri was not Klopp’s choice (same with Salah) and hence he hasn’t had much of a chance in 2019. If Shaq goes, Klopp will replace with a player he really wants.

Strange one as give him game time and he will deliver. But one thing for sure, Klopp has high standards - and willing to give players a chance but will squeeze out or get rid if he has to. A critical part of managers judgement!

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
all the greatest ever internet posts start thus...
Very true. Those that know me will know about my mate who went to school with brewsters dad. It’s the only ‘connection’ I have with a player.... no need for me to bullshit.

Hope it’s appreciated that I’m sharing this - otherwise I can keep it to myself.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
The approach that @Anfield rd Dreamer has advocated - going down a list until we get to a lad that we can get - is how the club has operated in the past and it is literally how we ended up with Mario Balotelli, Jermaine Pennant, Andy Carroll and countless others.

If the club have identified Sacho as the one they want, then they are absolutely right to hold tight and wait for him.
I don’t think the approach is wrong/bad now we actually have it joined up. So going from Brandt to Salah, Chilwell to Robertson has been hugely succesfull. I do however think its an approach which is limited (or most effective) when filling an actual 1st team spot.

My personal opinion is the club expects the likes of Lallana/Milner/Shaqiri to be not here come next summer, but there is a season left in them so we spent the summer setting the ground work for bringing in 1 or 2 top class players to replace the 4 fringe players next summer.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I also heard that Shaqiri was not Klopp’s choice (same with Salah) and hence he hasn’t had much of a chance in 2019. If Shaq goes, Klopp will replace with a player he really wants.

Strange one as give him game time and he will deliver. But one thing for sure, Klopp has high standards - and willing to give players a chance but will squeeze out or get rid if he has to. A critical part of managers judgement!
Its not a strange one. Shaq has spent a healthy chunk of last season injured, along with this summer, and doesnt do the defensive part of the game often enough that Klopp wants from his attacking players, therefore he his playing time has been limited. He will get used more as the season progresses. Klopp is too practical to leave a player out simply because he wasnt a player he really wanted.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
Its not a strange one. Shaq has spent a healthy chunk of last season injured, along with this summer, and doesnt do the defensive part of the game often enough that Klopp wants from his attacking players, therefore he his playing time has been limited. He will get used more as the season progresses. Klopp is too practical to leave a player out simply because he wasnt a player he really wanted.
I agree with this - what I am trying to say is that Klopp give players a chance - he obviously wants Shaq to be doing more than he does, and not quiet getting what he wants - so either Shaq does start delivering, or he "finds a solution" as he recently said. If Shaq did go, then Klopp would get another player that would fit his criteria better. For £13m Shaq was a "no brainer". But I'm sure he wasn't top choice.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
The man has spoken.... we should all now feel the tremor a little before the big one!

“I hope to continue like this, but in two, three years I don’t know what can happen. Maybe I’ll retire,” he told SportBild, cited by Di Marzio.

“It doesn’t necessarily happen, however, if that were the case, you wouldn’t be surprised…”

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
It will happen eventually. I've been dreading him leaving for about two years now. Really hope he sticks around for the long, long term, but from what he's said on the odd occasion I think we'd better enjoy the next few years as much as we can as I think that will be that.

igor_piss_can

Sort of already resigned myself to the fact that it's pretty unlikely Klopp is going to be here after 2022. As much as I'd love him to be here for the next 10 years and beyond I don't think top level managers are really able to do that any more. I think to keep that level of intensity up constantly year after year after year will send managers into an early grave. Just look at Guardiola before he took the Barcelona job and compare that to how he looked when he left - He looked like he'd aged about a decade and a half in four years. Zidane looked a broken man when he stepped down from the Madrid job last summer too.

To be fair, I think if Klopp does step down in 2022 then even that will be looked at as a massive term in the modern day. Will be near double the length of time Pep has ever spent at a club up to now, and I've got a strong feeling he'll be off at the end of the season too. If City are handed a Champions League ban for 2020/21 which is seeming increasingly likely I can't see him sticking around to have another crack at the league / domestic cups and as just stated, 3-4 years seems to be his lifespan at clubs. If that does happen, I can see us having a very successful start to the decade and quite the swansong for Klopp which would certainly cushion the blow of him stepping down

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
The man has spoken.... we should all now feel the tremor a little before the big one!

I don't want to think about it. Let's pretend it is a bad dream and we have Jürgen for the next 10 years.

Last edited:

Abdel

I Just hope that FSG have an idea and are planning succession after Klopp .
They need to go for the same standard .means no unproven manager , be it an outsider or an ex player
We should aim for the like of Pep , Pochettino or Simeone

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
I Just hope that FSG have an idea and are planning succession after Klopp .
They need to go for the same standard .means no unproven manager , be it an outsider or an ex player
We should aim for the like of Pep , Pochettino or Simeone
I'd like it to be someone who carries on the same principles as Klopp and we see some continuity in our play. Who that is, I have no idea. It may even be someone who isn't on the radar at this time (but might be in a few years).

fspencer

It will happen eventually. I've been dreading him leaving for about two years now. Really hope he sticks around for the long, long term, but from what he's said on the odd occasion I think we'd better enjoy the next few years as much as we can as I think that will be that.
He'll stay as long as we are competitive as a football club . He left dortmund because they kept selling / allowing his best players to leave and making bayern stronger . They were really struggling the season he decided it was time to go and it's taken them 4 years to build a new squad capable of competing for the title .

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
Sort of already resigned myself to the fact that it's pretty unlikely Klopp is going to be here after 2022. As much as I'd love him to be here for the next 10 years and beyond I don't think top level managers are really able to do that any more. I think to keep that level of intensity up constantly year after year after year will send managers into an early grave. Just look at Guardiola before he took the Barcelona job and compare that to how he looked when he left - He looked like he'd aged about a decade and a half in four years. Zidane looked a broken man when he stepped down from the Madrid job last summer too.

To be fair, I think if Klopp does step down in 2022 then even that will be looked at as a massive term in the modern day. Will be near double the length of time Pep has ever spent at a club up to now, and I've got a strong feeling he'll be off at the end of the season too. If City are handed a Champions League ban for 2020/21 which is seeming increasingly likely I can't see him sticking around to have another crack at the league / domestic cups and as just stated, 3-4 years seems to be his lifespan at clubs. If that does happen, I can see us having a very successful start to the decade and quite the swansong for Klopp which would certainly cushion the blow of him stepping
I was looking at Jürgen's interview the very first day he was unveiled as the new manager. He looked so smart, fresh faced, healthy and Adonis godlike. When I saw him after the Champions league final, he looked kind of tired and his beard has gone more grey, he had more wrinkles and he looked battled hardened from a tour of duty from Iraq or Afghanistan than major European Cup final, he has aged abit as well.

It is impossible to do a Fergie or Wenger in modern football and stay 20 years at one club, especially in the 5 main competitive European Leagues. It has taken its toll on many managers. Health and well being is more important. Even if Gerarrd comes to LFC, he won't be able to stay that long either.

Last edited:

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I'd like it to be someone who carries on the same principles as Klopp and we see some continuity in our play. Who that is, I have no idea. It may even be someone who isn't on the radar at this time (but might be in a few years).
*90% of forum rush off to their Football Manager game to prepare for their job application*

fspencer

I was looking at Jürgen's interview the very first day he was unveiled as the new manager. He looked so smart, fresh faced, healthy and Adonis godlike. When I saw him after the Champions league final, he looked kind of tired and his beard has gone more grey, he had more wrinkles and he looked battled hardened from a tour of duty from Iraq or Afghanistan , he has aged abit as well.

It is impossible to do a Fergie or Wenger in modern football and stay 20 years at one club,especially in the 5 main competitive European Leagues. Even if Gerarrd comes to LFC, he won't be able to stay that long either.
maria to be fair i was fresh faced , wrinkle free and without grey hairs when he took over !

lol