• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Jürgen Klopp: 2018 - 2019

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Yeah, and these questions to him keep popping every other interview. There's another one today that mentions he'll take a break post 2022. Media will do anything to create panic. And it's not like he'll come out and say I am here forever lads, chill.
They should rather question Ole by when he's planning to stay. Now that would be a funny interview
To be fair to the media, i dont think they are deliberately trying to create panic but are keen to know what he intends doing. If he leaves us he wont be going to another English club - so for the most part wont be wanting to see him leave English football either as he is an entertaining and warm figure who at the very least provides them with plenty of news stories.

nikz200

Given the average staying period of managers these days, he has been here for a relevantly long time , especially in the pre. And unlike Pep, Jurgen didn't inherit a league winning team, he basically had to build this squad up. I don't have a issue with Klopp wanting his break and if he feels he needs to go in 2 years then let it be. But the club need to act immediately if that is the case. We need the sucession line to be in place so that the level of football doesn't drop. Personally, I'm all for Ljinders to step in if Klopp signs off on it. He can learn everything from Jurgen and then come in.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
Given what we know about Jürgen Klopp as a person, I don't think he would ever sign a (new) contract he doesn't have every intention of fulfilling until the final day.

How many managers sign a long-term deal and then end up leaving or being sacked within months? It's simply avarice.

I think Jürgen is just leaving future decisions for the future.

Red over the water

He seems to work in seven year cycles, then a significant break, then go again.

If the pattern continues where will he go after Liverpool? Spain? They chop and change. German National team? Maybe, if he wants a part time job. But if he still wants the day to day, it’s hard to see a better fit than Liverpool.

But on the other hand he’s a German fella who has the means to go anywhere in he world he wants, and practically to any job. So while I see Liverpool as the best fit, he might move on.

Best not to fret about it and enjoy what we have.

And I’m keeping an eye on Nagelsman as he looks like he could become a great.

Incognito

The Normal One
To be fair to the media, i dont think they are deliberately trying to create panic but are keen to know what he intends doing. If he leaves us he wont be going to another English club - so for the most part wont be wanting to see him leave English football either as he is an entertaining and warm figure who at the very least provides them with plenty of news stories.
Sky Sports, and I kid you not... 'Jürgen Klopp's future in doubt'.

Literally just heard that as part of their headlines. Twats
@redfanman can't trust the media mate! :indifferent:

Actually can trust them to come up with stories like that.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
There's something sadomacist over it, like they yearm for the frustrated times to come back or something ?! creeps me out a bit.
Relax mate, I'm sure none of our friends here are like that!
But thinking of life after klopp scares the shit out of me and something that I dont want to do.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
From the horse's mouth:
When asked if he was planning to take a sabbatical, Klopp told Kicker:

"It looks like it. Who can now say if he can give it his all in three years' time?

"If I decide for myself that I can't go on anymore, I'll take a break and in that year I'd have to make a definite decision [over my career].

"I have absolute energy, but I have one problem; I can't do 'a little bit.' I can only do 'all or nothing.'

"But the chances are very high that my energy levels will go up again [after a year's break], and that I can then do the job the way I want to."
Nowhere does he say that he'll leave Liverpool. He's just keeping things open for the future, that's all.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
when you thiunk about it, in todays football world, asking a coach what year in the distant (relative to managerial postings) future he intends on retiring is one of the greatest compliments.

puts it in perspective just how good he has been at this club.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
Haven't read everything so apologies if somebody already said it, but the thing that makes me uneasy about having a definite time on Klopp leaving is the potential impact it might have on making signings.

Some players have spoken about how Klopp was a massive factor in signing for the club, and if you're trying to convince players to join and they're looking at the club knowing he'll be off in a year and at that point you're telling them they'll be playing for

a) Pep Lijnders
b) Steven Gerrard
c) err we have no idea yet

Do you still have the same chance of signing that player?

I know that you can never guarantee the future of a manager when a player signs, but if you are guaranteeing they will leave, unless you have already lined up a similar level replacement, I wouldn't blame a player for being cautious.

And if you are letting him have a sabbatical and telling him he can come back again and you put Lijnders in charge and he wins the treble, what the hell do you do then?

I just think i'd have preferred them to keep all this 'in house'.

Danny_

Look, if he needs to take a year off in two years time, fine. Let him do that so long as he comes back after that. We can have a caretaker manager for one year. The [email protected] about Gerrard taken over...well, I just hope that nobody on the board is seriously considering this. It took us a very long time to get the right man in charge. We have him now - lets hope that the Yanks have learned how important this is for the success of the club.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Sky Sports, and I kid you not... 'Jürgen Klopp's future in doubt'.

Literally just heard that as part of their headlines. Twats
All this means is that an apprentice has just come back with the a copy of the st*n from his lunch break and some sky tool has picked up on some typically world class investigative sporting journalism. I'm being caustically sarcastic to the nth degree btw.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
If the pattern continues where will he go after Liverpool? Spain? They chop and change. German National team? Maybe, if he wants a part time job. But if he still wants the day to day, it’s hard to see a better fit than Liverpool.

But on the other hand he’s a German fella who has the means to go anywhere in he world he wants, and practically to any job. So while I see Liverpool as the best fit, he might move on.
The timing of this all is so silly and serves no point at all for the media to do, other than simply to disrupt a good thing here. I will say this tho, not that Jürgen is only motivated by money but if/when the time comes that he decides to move on, Bayern will 100% hand him a blank cheque and a pen and tell him to fill in whatever amount he wants. No amount will be too large. After we dispatched them last year in CL there was some discussion in Germany about that.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Haven't read everything so apologies if somebody already said it, but the thing that makes me uneasy about having a definite time on Klopp leaving is the potential impact it might have on making signings.

Some players have spoken about how Klopp was a massive factor in signing for the club, and if you're trying to convince players to join and they're looking at the club knowing he'll be off in a year and at that point you're telling them they'll be playing for

a) Pep Lijnders
b) Steven Gerrard

I know that you can never guarantee the future of a manager when a player signs, but if you are guaranteeing they will leave, unless you have already lined up a similar level replacement, I wouldn't blame a player for being cautious.

And if you are letting him have a sabbatical and telling him he can come back again and you put Lijnders in charge and he wins the treble, what the hell do you do then?

its obviously a valid point you make.

counterpoint would be that Klopp is probably the one guy a player can trust when he says 'when im gone the idea is to...yadayada yada'

i really see him creating a dynasty here, the very fact we are discussing a solid end point and possible replacements points to us maybe thinking ahead into the future, a clear path.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
We have at least this and two more seasons under Klopp so maybe we should enjoy it until confirmation about what happens after that.

Sooner or later it will be time for him to spend more time with his family. Not possible in England - 20 Teams League, 2 domestic cups, no winter break.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
counterpoint would be that Klopp is probably the one guy a player can trust when he says 'when im gone the idea is to...yadayada yada'
I don't think one has much of a say after departing his position, so to tell someone this and that is going to happen after he leaves will need to have a much more convincing factor in it than just his words. He will never in my opinion take up the technical director job, FSG will not in again my opinion allow the "Fergie style" of ghost management structure.

As for him taking a year and then come back - my answer to this is, no chance.

All good things come to an end, and I guess all of us should just enjoy it now and brace for it when the time comes.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
I know that Liverpool will be fine after Klopp, as will Klopp after Liverpool. But neither of them will be the same again. This kind of bond between a manager and a club is extremely rare and something that almost no other fanbase around the world will or has ever experienced.

I know it's coming but yet I dread the day when Klopp walks away. If that's in 2 and a half years time or longer, it will still be too soon. He is truly irreplacable because he is one of a kind. He has made Liverpool feel like Liverpool again and for that alone, I will be forever grateful to him.

I just hope that when that day comes we'll have a shitload of silverware to show off.

nikz200

a) Pep Lijnders
b) Steven Gerrard

I think we all would have preferred keeping it in house, but he was asked a question and he answered it straight up. He is doing it so he won't be continuously asked about whether he will be signing a new deal. He rather focus on the football than the contract talks or anything else. Plus he is being honest rather than stringing us along.

I am very sure Klopp did not lie to those players telling them that he was going to be here forever. He asked them to invest into the project he was creating and then looking at the Liverpool brand and team as a whole. Also don't forget, it was Klopp and Michael Edwards that did the recruiting together. Im sure Michael Edwards will have a factor to play during all this.

Having Klopp here has helped firm our identity, but i don't think in terms of transfers we are year in and year out buying the worlds best anyway. That one comes down to several factors that are involved with the sporting directors now. The era where managers are the main reason top players want to join teams are over, its the entire club make up and the position the club is in. and of course money.

Having a top coach helps definitely or at least a coach who relates to players.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Klopp hinted at leaving at the end of his contract - that's because his contract has a end date, when he would have to leave. Hardly fucking news.

Media being media - Oh look, Liverpool have started the season strong, the unbearable fuckers, lets start adding media pressure to the situation.

The good thing is, Klopp will not allow pressure to tell/build.

Incognito

The Normal One
Have a question to the people who have been following us since around 70s - 80s, what was our feeling back then when the likes of Paisley or Kenny would have decided to move on? We may not be this nervous, considering it was an era of success but did it occur to us that things may fall apart?
Aren't we placed in a similar position of continuity and what is different now than then?

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Have a question to the people who have been following us since around 70s - 80s, what was our feeling back then when the likes of Paisley or Kenny would have decided to move on? We may not be this nervous, considering it was an era of success but did it occur to us that things may fall apart?
Aren't we placed in a similar position of continuity and what is different now than then?
We didn’t have loads of social media, 24/7 media narrative and click bait journalism to fuel it.

I was 12 when Kenny resigned in 1990. It was just on the back of the paper. My dad told me, and that we were looking at getting Souness.

There simply wasn’t the time to whip ourselves up into a frenzy.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member

a) Pep Lijnders
b) Steven Gerrard

If and it's a huge if.. I'd prefer Pep to remain as the assistant so he could provide that continuity. However I find it very very hard to find anyone who has the gravitas of Klopp, his personality is what makes him so dam good.

I'd be hugely against Gerrard coming back.

Danny_

I know that Liverpool will be fine after Klopp, as will Klopp after Liverpool. But neither of them will be the same again. This kind of bond between a manager and a club is extremely rare and something that almost no other fanbase around the world will or has ever experienced.

I know it's coming but yet I dread the day when Klopp walks away. If that's in 2 and a half years time or longer, it will still be too soon. He is truly irreplacable because he is one of a kind. He has made Liverpool feel like Liverpool again and for that alone, I will be forever grateful to him.

I just hope that when that day comes we'll have a shitload of silverware to show off.
We won't necessarily be fine after Klopp. Look at what Ferguson leaving United has done. Watch how Lampard destroys Chelsea. I don't think they will be finishing top 4 this season. Yes, there are other good managers out there that we could get but none of them as good.

Danny_

I think we all would have preferred keeping it in house, but he was asked a question and he answered it straight up. He is doing it so he won't be continuously asked about whether he will be signing a new deal. He rather focus on the football than the contract talks or anything else. Plus he is being honest rather than stringing us along.

I am very sure Klopp did not lie to those players telling them that he was going to be here forever. He asked them to invest into the project he was creating and then looking at the Liverpool brand and team as a whole. Also don't forget, it was Klopp and Michael Edwards that did the recruiting together. Im sure Michael Edwards will have a factor to play during all this.

Having Klopp here has helped firm our identity, but i don't think in terms of transfers we are year in and year out buying the worlds best anyway. That one comes down to several factors that are involved with the sporting directors now. The era where managers are the main reason top players want to join teams are over, its the entire club make up and the position the club is in. and of course money.

Having a top coach helps definitely or at least a coach who relates to players.
I disagree. Even in a modern structure, the manager's role is absolutely critical to the success of the club. Yes, having a good support structure around him is important but if you take the manager out of that equation, the whole thing often falls like a house of cards.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member

I can't speak for others but for me at that time,we had the boot room,when one left another took over the mantle,there was a continuity about the club,everything was set in place for the next manager and we just carried on where we left off.Ok losing Paisley (he was the first manager for me) was a blow but when Joe took his place and won the treble,it kinda made up for the Paisley loss,then Kenny moved in and got the double.

How we go about getting that back at the club,i'm not sure,hopefully whoevers in charge of the day to day running of the club can keep what we are doing with Klopp,keep the same style of play,work ethic and atmosphere at the club,regardless of who the next manager/coach is,and carry on what we have now,set it in stone and don't let anyone come in and change it.