Jürgen Klopp: The Bossest of Bosses

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member
BTW 100% right about giving the players the break that was agreed well in advance. Numpties bashing on him for FA's incompetence.
Jurgen has been getting so much criticism in the footie news internet because of his decision to play the kids and especially, not being in the dugout at the replay.

It is quite unfair. I feel so sorry for him. I do feel Jurgen needs a 'mental rest'. He has been non stop coaching, plus all the extra PR events, constant media interviews. I am surprised if does he get any time for himself and his family.

Jason Mcteer was saying, it is almost 24/7. When he is abroad with the team, he cannot even leave the hotel with the constant media attention, especially when they were in Qatar. It was a crazy schedule.

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
It is quite unfair. I feel so sorry for him. I do feel Jurgen needs a 'mental rest'. He has been non stop coaching, plus all the extra PR events, constant media interviews. I am surprised if does he get any time for himself and his family.
Whilst the coverage of his decision regarding the cup replay has been appalling, no manager gets any sympathy from me when it comes to stress in the job.

Any football manager knows exactly what the job entails before they sign their contract; if they can’t handle the ballyhoo which surrounds the position, go and do something else. Besides, it’s not as if they’re on minimum wage- they’re handsomely remunerated for their efforts.

Livvy

Alles wird gut
Jurgen has been getting so much criticism in the footie news internet because of his decision to play the kids and especially, not being in the dugout at the replay.

Jason Mcteer was saying, it is almost 24/7. When he is abroad with the team, he cannot even leave the hotel with the constant media attention, especially when they were in Qatar. It was a crazy schedule.
There's no need to feel sorry for him Maria, he is world champion in ignoring the media, he won't care. Only important thing for him is keeping the promises that he has made to his players and presumably also to every member of the staff in Melwood . That is not negotiable for him, he won't change his mind imo.

Maria

Ad-free Member
There's no need to feel sorry for him Maria, he is world champion in ignoring the media, he won't care. Only important thing for him is keeping the promises that he has made to his players and presumably also to every member of the staff in Melwood . That is not negotiable for him, he won't change his mind imo.
I am not sure if it will happen or not. It is just talk, it is said (Danny Murphy), that Jurgen may change his mind and be in the dugout for the replay.

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
IMO the decision to not get first team players involved in the replay, is a matter of integrity. You cant continously advocate and fight for the welfare of the players by giving them a break, and then turn around and take it away due to scheduling conflicts.

If you want to sort this shit out, do it from next year by canceling replays and two legs from the other cup. The cups need to evolve or risk becoming obsolete, especially the league cup. 99.9% of Liverpool supporters look at the season and place importance of order, the League, Europe, FA cup, the league cup.

Livvy

Alles wird gut
I am not sure if it will happen or not. It is just talk, it is said (Danny Murphy), that Jurgen may change his mind and be in the dugout for the replay.
I can't see it Maria and I really don't get why it's now beeing discussed whether Klopp "deserves" or "will be allowed to have" a break as well or not, I mean, really? As if the break somehow doesn't include the manager, probably because he earns so much money etc. Ridiculous imo

Perth Red

Deep in the wilds of outback Queensland
I can't see it Maria and I really don't get why it's now beeing discussed whether Klopp "deserves" or "will be allowed to have" a break as well or not, I mean, really? As if the break somehow doesn't include the manager, probably because he earns so much money etc. Ridiculous imo
Sorry Livvy, I'm with Maria on this. Big salaries go with big pressure and long hours - other jobs have constant pressure and attention without getting a nice long summer break! Four weeks leave a year seems to be enough for everyone outside the sporting world

Maria

Ad-free Member
Sorry Livvy, I'm with Maria on this. Big salaries go with big pressure and long hours - other jobs have constant pressure and attention without getting a nice long summer break! Four weeks leave a year seems to be enough for everyone outside the sporting world
I think Livvy is agreeing with me, I think she means why are the FA questioning Klopp's decision.
The FA and the EPL have no communication with each other when there are match fixture and forget to take into account replays in cup competitions and then the FA added winter break where it is supposedly to be a proper rest and recuperation break, then they stick in replay right in the middle of a greak, it is all confusing. Klopp is making a point about this, I think.

ETA: I still agree with you that managers need mental fatigue breaks too as their jobs are 24/7 really.

Last edited:

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Premier League gives FA what it's been wanting for awhile in the form of a winter break to help international players especially English ones.

Premier League write to all clubs demanding they respect the break and not arrange any form of games not even behind closed doors training games for fitness reasons.

FA THEMSELVES then arrange cup games during this period.

Klopp says he will not play his first team squad chock full of international players including England ones respecting the decisions made at start of season at FA request in line with Premier League directive.

FA = Klopp is a disrespectful dick!

Couldn't make it up.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
Since when did this become about Klopp? Do people actually believe that he's against playing the first team because he wants to spend some time on a beach instead of managing a game from the Anfield dugout?

Let's be clear about this: the whole reason behind the break is for the players to get some R&R. He could very well want some time off for himself but his prime, his only concern is his players' welfare.

Anyone who is too daft to realise this, like that Accrington Stanley prick, isn't worth a lick of spit.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Since when did this become about Klopp? Do people actually believe that he's against playing the first team because he wants to spend some time on a beach instead of managing a game from the Anfield dugout?

Let's be clear about this: the whole reason behind the break is for the players to get some R&R. He could very well want some time off for himself but his prime, his only concern is his players' welfare.

Anyone who is too daft to realise this, like that Accrington Stanley prick, isn't worth a lick of spit.
I wasn't just talking about Klopp. The game has been playing for decades in roughly the same format and never once has there been a need for a mid-season break. You may argue it is more intense now but also the players are fitter, there is significantly more rotation and much better healthcare. Most players get 6 or 7 weeks off in the summer, regularly get rotated out of the team etc... this is no harder than the days of 42 league games, multiple replays, flying on dodgy planes around the world etc... of when I was a youth. If it's too hard to play two hours of football twice a week then they shouldn't be doing it. Mollycoddling at its finest!

Limiescouse

I wasn't just talking about Klopp. The game has been playing for decades in roughly the same format and never once has there been a need for a mid-season break.
I am 41. For pretty much my entire life there have been complaints that England does not have a winter break and its lack of one is self defeating

If it's too hard to play two hours of football twice a week then they shouldn't be doing it.
Right. They just rock up and play. Thats all there is to it.

Perth Red

I am 41. For pretty much my entire life there have been complaints that England does not have a winter break and its lack of one is self defeating

Right. They just rock up and play. Thats all there is to it.
I am 55 and not once did the likes of Kenny, Hansen and Co ever once say that they wished they played less. Nor did Shanks or Bob Paisley - they thrived on more games because that meant you were more successful!

And no, that's not what I meant, obviously. They train and work every day... who doesn't? It should never be a problem to play twice a week if that is exactly what you get paid a shed load of cash to do. They have the very best of everything and being tired should never be an issue - "Professional" sportspeople seem to be given a free ride because they have to run and jump and stuff. Never hear farmers or builders etc... being mentioned like this do you? But if they screw up tiredness is not an excuse is it?

LFCFFC

That's such an archaic argument - they get paid lots so they should be robots.

And where does this "free ride" perception come from? They're being given a week to have a break because they worked over Christmas and for the international lads (i.e. 90% of our first team), pretty much every day last year too. You wouldn't argue against that for a farmer or a plumber and you can't really argue against it for a footballer either.

Regardless of whether you think they deserve a break, it ultimately boils down to Liverpool respecting the demands that the Premier League set back in April last year.

It's ridiculous that Klopp's somehow being held accountable because the FA has decided to piss all over everything.

Joe Gomez x

I swear pundits are asking why we are not seeing more chances being given to young talents but once Jurgen gives another opportunity, he is criticised.
I am surprised though, since the lads are just going on a break (not leaving the country ,but I could be wrong) that Jurgen is not managing the side . I do agree that sending Neil out to manage is strange towards the opposite but not the team selection.

melbournered

If people think Jurgen is or has been disingenuous wrt his comments should watch the whole 22 minutes and really absorb what he has to say.

He has made a stand which is consistent with his previous views on the work load on players.

He addresses the "issue "of him not being available for the replay. Who is the coach of the Under 23's. It's Critchley. It makes perfect sense to me.

Limiescouse

I am 55 and not once did the likes of Kenny, Hansen and Co ever once say that they wished they played less. Nor did Shanks or Bob Paisley - they thrived on more games because that meant you were more successful!

And no, that's not what I meant, obviously. They train and work every day... who doesn't? It should never be a problem to play twice a week if that is exactly what you get paid a shed load of cash to do. They have the very best of everything and being tired should never be an issue - "Professional" sportspeople seem to be given a free ride because they have to run and jump and stuff. Never hear farmers or builders etc... being mentioned like this do you? But if they screw up tiredness is not an excuse is it?
Yep. Cant argue with any of that. Totally rock solid. In fact youve convinced me that football should be played with the players riding in tractors.

[email protected]

I wasn't just talking about Klopp. The game has been playing for decades in roughly the same format and never once has there been a need for a mid-season break. You may argue it is more intense now but also the players are fitter, there is significantly more rotation and much better healthcare. Most players get 6 or 7 weeks off in the summer, regularly get rotated out of the team etc... this is no harder than the days of 42 league games, multiple replays, flying on dodgy planes around the world etc... of when I was a youth. If it's too hard to play two hours of football twice a week then they shouldn't be doing it. Mollycoddling at its finest!
The game is not the same. The players are fitter because they are doing far more fitness work and conditioning than before and yes the game is more intense but so is absolutely everything else. The media focus itself is insanity where column inches, talk shows, analysis shows, fan phone ins etc take place around the clock daily. Every. Single. Day. Social media, fan forums. Its all on the go like never before. Players have to live, eat, breath and play in a fishbowl where their every single move is documented, broken down, discussed and if not held up to an imaginary ethos that we think should be applicable to them, are broken down viciously and unrelentingly in the full view of a world that is watching with greedy eyes saying 'more, give me more, i want more'.

Aside from the physical demands on the players, which is far more of a load than it was in the 70's and 80's, the mental aspect of being a footballer and scrutiny that go with it is also incredibly exhausting. It just simply cannot go on like this and it was utterly stupid to have a break and then fit in a match somewhere in there. I mean for ffs, the law of averages alone would mean that matches are more likely to be scheduled in that period than not.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan

You can't compare the exertions of a modern professional footballer with one from 30-40 years ago though. There have been a million studies that show a modern footballer does far more high intensity running, cover far greater distances and at greater pace. Why did players drink the night before a match? Because they could.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member

You realise that farming and building have had radical advances in technology, processes, health and safety over the last 40 years right? And the average life expectancy and health conditions later on in life has improved across the UK over the last 40 years including for farmers and builders? This seems like that sketch "in my day we had to get up before we went to bed, lick a moss covered rock for breakfast...." and didn't do us any harm spiel. Well actually it was doing harm back then. Look at the state footballers from the 60s and 70s were in when they got to their 40s and 50s compared to footballers from the 80s and 90s. Those from post 2000 will be even better condition when older too. The winter break (or lack of it in England) has been a self imposed hardship in England for a long time. The science and reasoning for a winter break has been accepted everywhere for a long time just England is funny about change. Theres people out there who still think the balls should be thick, heavy, leather ball busters.