Jürgen Klopp: The Bossest of Bosses

rupzzz

TIA Regular
A German news outlet has published an interview with Klopp where he announces his intention to stay in Liverpool for 4 more years (through the 2023/24 season) before returning to Germany:

Klopp plans to return to Mainz
At some point he will surely return to Germany, he reveals. "Definitely to live, after my career. Most likely even to Mainz", where he was successful from 1990 to 2008 as a player and then as a coach. He also has a clear professional plan: "Four years in Liverpool." After that, after nine years on Anfield Road, he wanted to "do nothing for a year". He may then have the first opportunity to do "what *I* want, what *I* am up for. Perhaps a club, a team, or nothing." He adds sardonically: "But in five years the world can look very different again."
"But in five years the world can look very different again."

And there's the big caveat in all of this. Maybe right now he thinks he'll be burnt out, or he will have had his fill, but in 5 years he might still be loving life and want more. Maybe he will be craving another PL title against Newcastle and Man City's massive squads. That's just the way life (for everyone) in their jobs goes. I moved down south 11 years ago on an 18 month contract and fully intending to go back home at the end of it, but I'm still here, albeit with a different employer now.

If we get him the end of the 2023/24 season, he will probably be the longest serving manager at the time, given the high rate of churn for PL manager positions.

As far as I'm concerned, he's a legend of the club, and now anything else that happens over his remaining time will be a bonus. I'll be focusing on enjoying it, and not worry too much about the future. He's continually said that the clubs future beyond his tenure is vitally important, and I have no doubts he will have the clubs best interest at heart.

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
I'll believe that Klopp is leaving when I see it. I think it's easy to say "yeah, in 2024, I'll be burnt out and need some time off." But it's yet another thing to actually do it when you get to that point - to surrender the title as manager of the best club in world football - the pinnacle of the sport - to take a year off. Competitive souls like Klopp don't give up those things that easily, especially as he'll still be relatively young at that point.

Lastly - the allegation claims that he'll want to return to Germany to coach Mainz. A lovely thought, but what about the poor lad who has the gig at that point? Klopp isn't going to step on anyone's toes to get a job.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
Lastly - the allegation claims that he'll want to return to Germany to coach Mainz. A lovely thought, but what about the poor lad who has the gig at that point? Klopp isn't going to step on anyone's toes to get a job.
He said he plans to return to Mainz to live during his time off, then he'll see if he wants to return to management. Not necessarily that it would be at Mainz (although that would certainly be nice).

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
When he mentions 4 years, perhaps he is just professionally referring to the 4 years he's got left on his deal. He also said it in English a few times. No need to panic I think, he always speaks in relation to the contract he's under at that particular moment and always reminds that things can change by then.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
"But in five years the world can look very different again."

And there's the big caveat in all of this. Maybe right now he thinks he'll be burnt out, or he will have had his fill, but in 5 years he might still be loving life and want more. Maybe he will be craving another PL title against Newcastle and Man City's massive squads. That's just the way life (for everyone) in their jobs goes. I moved down south 11 years ago on an 18 month contract and fully intending to go back home at the end of it, but I'm still here, albeit with a different employer now.

If we get him the end of the 2023/24 season, he will probably be the longest serving manager at the time, given the high rate of churn for PL manager positions.

As far as I'm concerned, he's a legend of the club, and now anything else that happens over his remaining time will be a bonus. I'll be focusing on enjoying it, and not worry too much about the future. He's continually said that the clubs future beyond his tenure is vitally important, and I have no doubts he will have the clubs best interest at heart.
I fully agree with this but isn't the 2023/24 season also simply the end of his current deal? So he's literally talking hypothetical about what he'll do next?

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Don’t see anything really new in that, his extension surprised us all. He will know when it’s time. I think he may sign again for us before he leaves for good. The merger of the youth and first team facilities as well as talk of the Youth set up to me suggests a desire to think beyond those 4 years but we simply don’t know as he says who knows.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Don't ask me, I don't get it either tbh. ;)
I guess it's personal history/fond memories first and foremost and maybe they still have many friends there etc (he lived there a long time)?
Yes, it must be something like that. I'm not a German expert but like most Dutch, I know a little bit about it and when somebody asks me what places/great countrysides in Germany to visit would you recommend Mainz is not the first thing that comes to mind to say it politely. :cool:

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member

Very interesting interview in German, with English subtitles. Jurgen is flat sharing with his Press Officer Matt McCann. That must be hilarious, like that film 'The Odd Couple'. :LOL:

Last edited:

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member
Ha, she is the daughter of Klopp's best friend David Wagner, Lea Wagner. They know each other obviously very well.
Jürgen is Lea's godfather.
Thank you lovely Livvy, you are a walking library of knowledge, don't know what I would do without you. I thought David Wagner had little kids. She is very pretty. I thought she kind of knew Jurgen.

@Zoran, there you go.

Last edited:

petergriffin2020

I first started to appreciate Klopp back in the winter of 2013, when he was at Dortmund. His yellow-and-black team were really exciting to watch and I loved his passion. They put up some good results, too, including knocking out Real Madrid, and I will never forget Lewandowski's four goals in the home leg. Just a fantastic combination of passion, slick kits (albeit not as slick as red, my favorite color ;)), energy, and skill. I thought "that guy is a top manager"...then I learned about how Dortmund slayed Munich two years in a row in the Bundesliga and won the German Cup Final. I thought to myself "well, even if he loses the Champions League Final, he's still had a solid career" thinking that would be the maximum he would achieve as a manager...

Didn't know the half of it!

petergriffin2020

Part 2: When he was announced as our manager, I distinctly remember this tweet:

At the time, we had just been through the emotional rollercoaster of the 13-14 season less than 18 months earlier. Having seen us come so close, fall short, and then fall away, I was prepared for us to never win the title. When Lineker got excited, though, I thought "Lineker knows his stuff, and he's excited, so we should be excited, too...he won't catch Chelsea or City, but maybe this guy can get us top 3 consistently."

Again: Didn't know the half of it!