Jadon Sancho (RW) Borussia Dortmund

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
I can only now (after the Minamino signing) see us going big on Sancho if one of the front three leave, or it's in a later window. The reason I think neither are likely are due to Curtis Jones and Harvey Elliott mean our need for a young wide player as we "phase" Mane/Salah out becomes less and less urgent.
Agree with this completely, having signed Minamino we really have no need to go big for any attacking players unless one of the first choice front 3 or Origi wants a change of scenery.

Like most I would have liked another big name player for the slot Minamino is now filling but just because we got him for a steal doesn't mean he isnt good enough or won't be effective just means we are smart operators. If he plays as well for us as he did for Salzburg we have a great player.

In terms of succession, the rapid rise of Jones and Elliott mean we have a bit of insurance cover in place now, they are the succession plan and I think they are both ahead of where we thought they would be at this point. Wilson is also having a strong season for Bournemouth so the next wave is already in place for the years ahead.

As said above I think it will be a quiet Window this month and in the Summer. We have the best team in the world at the moment, we really only need to cover off players as they leave and ensure the next wave is in the Academy ready to come through which by and large they are if their progress continues.

Seen it all

A Realist is a Pessimist with Experiance!
Where the fuck does everyone get off with all this "I can absolutely GUARANTEE " shit!
The only thing that I can GUARANTEE is that we know GUARANTEED fuck all what Klopp is going to do/buy/sell.
What one wants/ hopes to happen is no GUARANTEE that it will happen.
FFS give a rest with the GUARANTEE shit , pissing me off with the FUCKING I know better than you shit!
Worse than the fucking school playground!

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
There are many fundamentally flawed arguments in your post, but I'll pick up on this one:

Literally nobody has made this argument, none of our fans want a weak squad do they? Let's not forget, we already have Shaqiri, Origi, Chamberlain, Minamino, Elliot and Jones who play in these positions, not to mention Wilson on loan. It's a reasonable opinion to hold that this is sufficient depth, your assertion that it isn't is not a fact.

More to the point, the reason the drop off from Mane and Salah is bigger than most other positions is because they're so good. As good as our midfielders are, none of them are as good as Mane and Salah as individuals, and that's one of the reasons there is more competition. Every single top club has huge dropoffs in certain positions. Could Barcelona have replaced Messi and Suarez in recent years? Or Messi and Villa? Could Real have replaced Ronaldo and Bale? City haven't replaced Sane and Laporte well at all, and they struggled when Fernandinho was out last year. It's par for the course of having the world's best players. It's a strength, not a weakness.

The drop off from Robertson and Trent is higher than the drop off from Mane and Salah, so this 100m+ could arguably go there instead. It could go towards replacing Lovren with a more durable player.
So according to the talk we are still looking at attacking reinforcements for the summer so the club do seem to agree with me not you that we need more than what we have up top.

On drop offs Milner has done fine at full back, he went a whole season at left back and was good although he faded. Gomez is also fine at right back and Neco Williams seems to be at the stage in his development that Trent was 2 and a half years ago. I want us to sign a player who can play both full back positions but covering right back for a run of 5-10 games with Gomez and Williams or left back with Milner doesn't seem as bad to me as Origi covering left forward or Shaqiri right forward. Certainly at CB and CM our options are better with Gomez, Matip, Lovren and VvD all better CBs in Klopps system than Shaqiri and Origi are wingers in Klopps system. Minamino may have significantly improved our wide options yet we will have to see.

Barcelona have Messi (Salah), Suarez (Mane), Griezmann (Firmino) but still have someone like Dembele, the kind of strength of option you're saying we don't need as a fourth option and theres traditionally a lot less rotation required in Spanish football. I think we both know I don't need to do the same with City's front 3 to highlight their depth (which is more than we need).

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Ok. Let’s say £100m. It changes nothing. Let’s move on to your points.

Come on. Gomez cost about £4m. Matip was free.

I’ll put back to you Virgil Van Dijk. We paid £75m for him. You can’t call him depth - he’s a first team player and he’s in when he’s fit.

Hendo was already here and Wijnaldum was £25m. Both of them are first names on the team sheet right now. Someone like Keita suits your argument more, but I don’t think for second he was bought as depth. It hasn’t worked with with him as it should.

If your going to make a comparison compare apples with apples. Have we got any lads apart from Keita (who has stuggled with injury) who cost over £40m and are not first choice when fit?

I’m not. We’re just not breaking our transfer record for ‘depth’. We’ve just bought Minamino to cover the front three. He was £7.5m.

If we need another forward (and I don’t think we do unless one of the three is off) we will be looking a bit cheaper than Sancho.

You can change it to that if you want. It’s still true.

No it doesn’t because Salah was £35m rising to £40m and he did indeed slot straight into the first team. You have just made my point for me.

When we signed Salah I said we’d paid a lot for a back up lad. Turned out Klopp stuck him straight in, he was immediately our best player, knocked in 40 goals and made me look stupid. There you go.

It also transpired at the time that Coutinho was angling for a move, so whatever we might have thought about four belters for three positions, it was only ever a temporary thing. I think we all knew he was off. He wanted out that summer, and ended up leaving in January, but even if the club had really dug its heels in and made him stay, we couldn’t have kept him beyond the following summer.

It’s also worth remembering we had just scraped top four, so there was clearly room to improve on that side. We’re now the best team in the world, and it isn’t so easy to improve it.

You can construct scenarios whereby Sancho gets 20 games next year, and that might be enough for him. He might back himself to nudge in front of one of the front three, or he might be willing to play the long game. I can see lots of plans that could be sold to him.

But I can’t get by the fact that when FSG/Klopp/Edward go that big on a player, it’s to fill a pressing first team need.
In this post you both argue that expensive players will be "starters" but then list an example of one that isn't a starter because of the level of his performance.

Do you really, honestly, believe Klopp (of all managers) would be playing VvD as his first choice CB because of his cost if Gomez and Matip were the better CBs? Klopp makes his playing decisions on merit not cost.

You're the one who keeps talking depth and cover. I don't know if you a skim reading my explanations that if we had a 3rd top class winger he would have started as many games this season as Mane and Salah. Not 20 games a season, he'd have already played over 20 by now.

And so you admit that when we signed Salah you were thinking the same then till Klopp showed you how Klopp has planned to use him as much as he used any of the other forwards? But your responses to me come across like you think I'm an idiot for suggesting the same could happen again?

Don't rewrite history, at the point of the Salah purchase all our forwards were happy, settled and under long term contract. Coutinho may have had a long term dream to one day move to Barcelona but it seemed they were very well settled at the time and that would be years in the future if it happened. Then bam. PSG changed the football landscape with the Neymar deal, suddenly Barca needed someone, anyone, right there and then and Coutinho became unsettled. That could never have been predicted at the time of the Salah purchase.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Yes, another player ARD was trying to convince us we needed to blow all our cash on. Theres one every window.

Now sitting on Juve's bench.
Way to misrepresent me;

Exactly. For me it doesn't have to be De Ligt but if he is rated the best around by our transfer team (who don't seem to get things wrong anymore) then I want him. If he's not who our team want as 1st choice I want whoever they've identified. But I'm firmly in the camp of adding a young, talented, high potential, physically robust CB soon. This summer or next. We might cope this coming season but I think we will have some hairy moments if we don't do it this summer.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Where the fuck does everyone get off with all this "I can absolutely GUARANTEE " shit!
The only thing that I can GUARANTEE is that we know GUARANTEED fuck all what Klopp is going to do/buy/sell.
What one wants/ hopes to happen is no GUARANTEE that it will happen.
FFS give a rest with the GUARANTEE shit , pissing me off with the FUCKING I know better than you shit!
Worse than the fucking school playground!
You’re the only one shouting, mate

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
In this post you both argue that expensive players will be "starters" but then list an example of one that isn't a starter because of the level of his performance.

Do you really, honestly, believe Klopp (of all managers) would be playing VvD as his first choice CB because of his cost if Gomez and Matip were the better CBs? Klopp makes his playing decisions on merit not cost.

You're the one who keeps talking depth and cover. I don't know if you a skim reading my explanations that if we had a 3rd top class winger he would have started as many games this season as Mane and Salah. Not 20 games a season, he'd have already played over 20 by now.

And so you admit that when we signed Salah you were thinking the same then till Klopp showed you how Klopp has planned to use him as much as he used any of the other forwards? But your responses to me come across like you think I'm an idiot for suggesting the same could happen again?

Don't rewrite history, at the point of the Salah purchase all our forwards were happy, settled and under long term contract. Coutinho may have had a long term dream to one day move to Barcelona but it seemed they were very well settled at the time and that would be years in the future if it happened. Then bam. PSG changed the football landscape with the Neymar deal, suddenly Barca needed someone, anyone, right there and then and Coutinho became unsettled. That could never have been predicted at the time of the Salah purchase.
Ok. I’m not going to reply to the points, because I’ve already done that. I can only say again that everything about the way that we’ve operated under Klopp suggests that if we spend a record amount that player will be a nailed on starter in the majority of games.

What I will say is that during your sabbatical we’ve binned off quite a few regular posters who have made this place difficult over the last few years, and by and large peace has broken out. You come back and suddenly there are arguments breaking out all over the place. That doesn’t look great for you.

Nobody is calling you stupid. That’s entirely your inference. People are disagreeing with your opinion, pointing out where they think you might be wrong, and true to form, you can’t handle it.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
So according to the talk we are still looking at attacking reinforcements for the summer so the club do seem to agree with me not you that we need more than what we have up top.
The talk being one tweet you've seen from somebody quoting Pearce? That's all you're basing this latest "I told you so" on? Let's look at what else was said.

James Pearce
16h ago

@David S. Unlikely to be more incomings I'm told but that could change. With Minamino coming in, Klopp seems very happy with his attacking options.

James Pearce
16h ago

@Robert W. Shaqiri more likely to be on the bench than Matip. I can't see LFC doing a deal for Mbappe. The cost would be crazy. Yes, I couldn't see LFC buying someone of that stature unless they had one of the front three to replace.

James Pearce
16h ago

@mikey D. I'd still expect them to sign one attacking player in the summer. But Klopp will have to weigh up how much he believes he can call upon the likes of Jones and Elliott next season.

And Ornstein, also of the Athletic, doesn't believe we'll buy a player of this type either. Certainly doesn't agree with your record breaking transfer theory, quite the opposite.

Last edited:

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Ok. I’m not going to reply to the points, because I’ve already done that. I can only say again that everything about the way that we’ve operated under Klopp suggests that if we spend a record amount that player will be a nailed on starter in the majority of games.

What I will say is that during your sabbatical we’ve binned off quite a few regular posters who have made this place difficult over the last few years, and by and large peace has broken out. You come back and suddenly there are arguments breaking out all over the place. That doesn’t look great for you.

Nobody is calling you stupid. That’s entirely your inference. People are disagreeing with your opinion, pointing out where they think you might be wrong, and true to form, you can’t handle it.
So this isn't an attempt to mock someone else for having an opinion you don't agree with?

Imagine where we’d be now if we’d bought that extra depth. Probably clear at the top of the league, and still on course to do well in the Champions League and FA Cup.
I thought this was a place for debate? It seems anyone who doesn't agree with the majority opinion on something just gets yelled down by multiple posts these days. I can discuss things and be civil and agree to disagree after a discussion with both parties seeing each others view point and accepting, respectfully, that the other might be right. All my opinions are just that. Opinions. I dont state things like "I guarantee " that I am right about something. But when responses to my points seek to mock my opinion I'll attempt to explain why I don't think the opinion is worth mocking. If that means I need to be banned then fine.

But I thought this site exists on posters with a wide range of opinions coming here to, calmly debate those opinions in a civilised manner. Drive site traffic, generate discussion and visits and posts. If all that happens instead is poster 1 says something a few replies about how people agree and discussing how they agree briefly then the site will get both very bland and nowhere near the level of interaction it could/should have. Maybe you should read through the interactions, identifying any points where you think I get argumentative or whatever and look and see 1 am I just trying to make points in the face of a barrage of heated replies and 2 did posts like the one above happen first? Maybe people are being driven from the site and viewpoints and opinions lost because anyone who doesnt agree with the main opinions on here gets responded to in ways that gets them to respond in a bad way till eventually they end up banned. Did it need to happen? Can't you and others just accept some people disagree and leave it at that?

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
I think having reached the point of talking about potential bannings this debate is at a place where I think a step needs to be taken back, and a sense of perspective reached that we're discussing a player whom there are very few, if any solid links to. For my money, I don't believe it's worth potentially quitting or being ejected from the site over.

For me, ARD has argued his case that it could happen. And you know what, it could. I'd be very surprised for the reasons Mascot and others have laid out, but it's certainly not outside the realms of possibility and we have the financial means to make it happen.

However, I don't believe he's made the case that it should happen, and I think this is where the contention is stemming from. People see how we're flying so high this season and quite reasonably don't see the need to nearly double our record transfer fee on a player who would be another able body in a world-class front line, but isn't noticeably better that what we already have - in fact given his young age and level of experience it's also reasonable to suggest that should we sign him, of the four attackers he would be the fourth best. That's largely why it's being suggested if he were to come it would need to be at the expense of one of the others.

It isn't a dire need, is what I'm saying, and whenever we've spent the big bucks, it has been on an area where there is that dire need.

So for me it boils down to:

ARD says it could happen. He's right, it could. We have the money and for the right player finding enough games wouldn't be an issue. It wouldn't be the first time Klopp has defied my expectations and usually he's ended up being proven right in whatever he does.

Others are saying it probably won't. They're right too (probably). All we can really be guided by is past behaviour, which suggests this is something Klopp would shy away from based on cost, need and potentially blocking the route to the first team of young players he really likes and rates (in this case Elliott and Jones). This, I believe, is the same rationale that saw us not sign a backup LB, which I thought in the summer was a crucial need. I now think the plan is to lean on Milner until Larouci is ready to step up, probably another 12-18 months of development.

I don't think further argument is necessary as there isn't a flaw I can see in the reasoning of either side. As ever, we won't really know what will happen until it does.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Sancho is good but there are others who are at his level. Whether they are English, 19 or 25 does not matter. Klopp and Edwards will look at the player and negotiate the best price they can get. Why be so fixated on Sancho? If Takumi teaches us anything, there are plenty of good players out there for a good price. Yes we will pay for Sancho if that is what Klopp wants, but its highly likely Klopp has a shortlist that would be equally good as Sancho and cost lesser.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Sancho is good but there are others who are at his level. Whether they are English, 19 or 25 does not matter. Klopp and Edwards will look at the player and negotiate the best price they can get. Why be so fixated on Sancho? If Takumi teaches us anything, there are plenty of good players out there for a good price. Yes we will pay for Sancho if that is what Klopp wants, but its highly likely Klopp has a shortlist that would be equally good as Sancho and cost lesser.
If I ignore the fact do we need or not need Sancho. The reason why I would think he gains fixation is the fact he is a generational talent. He truly is, the numbers he has put up since turning 18 in a very competitive league are up there with the very best in the world. So he’s not just “good” he is on the cusp of being a global superstar level, and his next move will be the one to define if that happens or not.

If for example we didn’t have Mane or Salah and needed a wide forward, he’d be number 2 on my list behind Mbappe.

Hudson-Odoi’s price was something like £50mil with a year left on his contract.. For example, CHO isn’t the level of Sancho.

Chewbazza

Ad-free Member
If I ignore the fact do we need or not need Sancho. The reason why I would think he gains fixation is the fact he is a generational talent. He truly is, the numbers he has put up since turning 18 in a very competitive league are up there with the very best in the world. So he’s not just “good” he is on the cusp of being a global superstar level, and his next move will be the one to define if that happens or not.

If for example we didn’t have Mane or Salah and needed a wide forward, he’d be number 2 on my list behind Mbappe.

Hudson-Odoi’s price was something like £50mil with a year left on his contract.. For example, CHO isn’t the level of Sancho.
I don't think anyone was ever doubting his talent or potential. The disagreements were never about that.

Limiescouse

Barcelona have Messi (Salah), Suarez (Mane), Griezmann (Firmino) but still have someone like Dembele, the kind of strength of option you're saying we don't need as a fourth option and theres traditionally a lot less rotation required in Spanish football. I think we both know I don't need to do the same with City's front 3 to highlight their depth (which is more than we need).
Surely you appreciate how bad a comparison that is?

1) It's Barca and they have spent recklessly in the last few years leaving them in a difficult place in terms of doing the moves they need to.
2) 2 of those players are on the downside of their career and so they have had to spend to try to manage the impending transition
3) The money was spent on griezmann this summer in part because of the failure of their past moves and lack of faith in both Dembele and Phil.

As for City, they have numbers in their forward line, but not of players the manager really trusts. Spending money to have players on your bench doesnt really make you stronger if the manager is reluctant to use those players.

Limiescouse

I have seen a lot of comments about we only spend big (whatever that means) for players that are guaranteed starters. I think it is worth pointing out that in the period that was our most successful both in terms of results and the overall strength of the club, that actualy isnt how we did it. throughout the 80s, A number of players who either broke or approached our transfer record were players we didn't immediately need but who we viewed as being the right player to step in in a year or two.

Craig Johnson, Lawrenson, Nicol, Gillespie and Paul Walsh are all examples off the top of my head. At least two of those were definitely club record signings. The only ones who played immediately did so because of injury, but most took some time to be brought in as regulars. Walsh was a particularly relevant one as he was our second highest transfer ever at the time and very much a transition project rather than a serious immediate threat to the Kenny-Rush partnership.

Last edited:

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Surely you appreciate how bad a comparison that is?

1) It's Barca and they have spent recklessly in the last few years leaving them in a difficult place in terms of doing the moves they need to.
2) 2 of those players are on the downside of their career and so they have had to spend to try to manage the impending transition
3) The money was spent on griezmann this summer in part because of the failure of their past moves and lack of faith in both Dembele and Phil.

As for City, they have numbers in their forward line, but not of players the manager really trusts. Spending money to have players on your bench doesnt really make you stronger if the manager is reluctant to use those players.
My point was Barca, like most top teams that play with a front 3, tend to have 4 top players at any time, and because of the quality of those 4 your other options can be more jobs men or slots left open to developing academy products. That way you don't have to go down the City route of ridiculous numbers wasting away on the bench. At Barca if Messi is out Suarez, Griezmann and Dembele play. For all some don't like Dembele hes a top level talent and the team will do fine in that situation. We have Mane out and we are using Origi or Ox or someone out of position. We might get by for a game here or there but we won't be anywhere near as good as we could be. Our front 3 can kick it with anyone on the planet. Our next 3 (till Minamino arrived) leave something to be desired. Hopefully Minamino is like a Robertson level success and I can look stupid anyway. Just have the feeling he is here to cover Firmino (finally someone for that role) and only really cover wide in emergency situations.

Limiescouse

Well that is a view of Barca's supposed strengths that not very many people will agree with.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Well that is a view of Barca's supposed strengths that not very many people will agree with.
Messi has missed 6 games due to injury this season playing in 20. They drew one and lost one he missed average ppg of 2.17 average gpg scored of 2.67 conceded of 1.33. In games with him average ppg of 2.05 gpg scored of 2.1 and gpg conceded of 1.1. Now I know that's a really ridiculous sample size and everything but I'm just not as convinced our points, goals scored and conceded wouldn't suffer more than that in comparison if we had Mane out for nearly a quarter of our games.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Just to add I am hoping Minamino shows up to be everything we hope and another Klopp and team masterstroke. Will happily admit that players like Robertson, Trent, Matip show you don't have to pay top whack for a player who turns out to be established quality. I'm just expecting something more like the Fabinho, Salah, Keita, Ox style deal as a minimum (in today's money) and wouldn't be surprised with an Alisson/VvD style purchase that may break our record. Sancho or whatever alternative.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Since the start of last season Mane has missed 4 league games and we've won them all. Dropped points in just one game Salah has missed. Beat Barcelona 4-0 without Salah too. We've won every game Firmino has missed in the league in that time and also did over Barca without him.

Messi has missed 9 and Barca have won 5.

If you include games where each player comes on late as sub it still goes in Liverpool's favour.

I think we do okay.

Last edited:

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Since the start of last season Mane has missed 4 league games and we've won them all. Dropped points in just one game Salah has missed. Beat Barcelona 4-0 without Salah too. We've won every game Firmino has missed in the league in that time and also did over Barca without him.

Messi has missed 9 and Barca have won 5.

If you include games where each player comes on late as sub it still goes in Liverpool's favour.

I think we do okay.
We've only lost once in the league with or without Mane on the pitch. I think looking at it the way you just did distorts the picture. You can't just cherry pick what games (league) to look at and just one metric (loses). That's why I tried to look at all games, worked it out under points per game format, took into account goals scored and goals conceded and compared with and without. Just saying Messi has missed 9 and Barca have won 5 doesnt show of that's significantly better or worse form than they show when he plays. Also on that Messi figure; he has missed 6 already this season and they won 4, did he only miss 3 games last season and they only win 1?

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
We've only lost once in the league with or without Mane on the pitch. I think looking at it the way you just did distorts the picture. You can't just cherry pick what games (league) to look at and just one metric (loses). That's why I tried to look at all games, worked it out under points per game format, took into account goals scored and goals conceded and compared with and without. Just saying Messi has missed 9 and Barca have won 5 doesnt show of that's significantly better or worse form than they show when he plays. Also on that Messi figure; he has missed 6 already this season and they won 4, did he only miss 3 games last season and they only win 1?
I picked league games because every one counts and is taken seriously, the same can't be said of the cup competitions. If you want to include the CL, I can point you towards a 4-0 win that was quite significant. I'm fairly certain Barcelona wouldn't have won 3-0 at the Nou Camp without Messi and Suarez.

If you want to provide a solid argument that we have actually struggled without Mane or Salah, rather than your theory which is solely based on your perception of individual quality, then feel free to do so. I'm pretty sure our results have remained very impressive without them but I'm prepared to be proven wrong.

Chewbazza

Ad-free Member
I know, they can do whatever they want in their free time...:rolleyes:

http://instagr.am/p/B7HIezRnZGG/
When was the last time one of our players posted such a video?
I have no idea what, if anything he does for charity, but when you see and hear the sort of things Salah and Mané and Robbo do for the community and people back home, well, this sort of thing in comparison makes me think the lad needs to grow up a a bit. And perhaps the sort of thing that makes me think he might well be the wrong kind of player for us, regardless of talent. Disappointing.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
I have no idea what, if anything he does for charity, but when you see and hear the sort of things Salah and Mané and Robbo do for the community and people back home, well, this sort of thing in comparison makes me think the lad needs to grow up a a bit. And perhaps the sort of thing that makes me think he might well be the wrong kind of player for us, regardless of talent. Disappointing.
I know some people don't think things like that are a problem but I'd bet my last pound that Klopp wouldn't be impressed with a video like that. Our success is built on hardwork, teamwork and humility. That video alone wouldn't necessarily rule him out, but it's not a good look at all.

Regardless of how talented a player is we don't need an Instagram superstar added to the mix.

Chewbazza

Ad-free Member
I know some people don't think things like that are a problem but I'd bet my last pound that Klopp wouldn't be impressed with a video like that. Our success is built on hardwork, teamwork and humility. That video alone wouldn't necessarily rule him out, but it's not a good look at all.

Regardless of how talented a player is we don't need an Instagram superstar added to the mix.
Yeah I think if we're genuinely interested it wouldn't be a game changer or anything like that, but it's not something as a fan that i'd enjoy seeing from our players.

Here your demonstrably more likely to add to your status at the club by having a ribena and an early night.