Jadon Sancho (RW) Borussia Dortmund

LFCFFC

Probably shooting myself in the foot making blanket statements, but I think the chances of us signing two first-team quality attacking players are virtually zero. You want squad depth, sure, but not at the expense of creating extra impediments for Jones and Elliot.

And at the cumulative price Havertz+Werner would command, I'd rather we just go for Sancho.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Think we will only sign one attacking player, I think they'll be high quality. I think it's easy to link us to Mbappe, Sancho, Werner and Havertz and I'm sure we have mega thick scouting dossiers on all of them including many other players. It could well be one of them we sign or it could be someone else entirely. With the way we do business though I doubt anyone (even the reliable types) will have much advanced notice. Just got to wait and see.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
By Adrian Kajumba and Dominic King for the Daily Mail

Since when does someone like King share the spoils? If true it would be 'by Dominic King' only.

Liverpool using King to push the price because City have a matching right. And City will need a Sané replacement in the summer and a Agüero replacement soon after. Can they 'afford' to spend too much money?

For his favor Dominic King will be the first with real breaking news about our first signing in the summer.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
By Adrian Kajumba and Dominic King for the Daily Mail

Since when does someone like King share the spoils? If true it would be 'by Dominic King' only.

Liverpool using King to push the price because City have a matching right. And City will need a Sané replacement in the summer and a Agüero replacement soon after. Can they 'afford' to spend too much money?

For his favor Dominic King will be the first with real breaking news about our first signing in the summer.
Joyce and Reddy are usually first out. Sometimes Pearce before King too.

nikz200

I personally don’t think we’re interested. We will go for Havertz and Werner.
Would love for that to be true, but i think the reason that Sancho is on the radar is because of the lure Bayern Munich has with german players. The most talented German players usually want to join Bayern or Dortmund because they get to dominate the bundesliga and "compete" in Europe.

Now i think Liverpool should do everything in their power to try and get these two players but Sancho would be easier to get to agree cause he would be coming back to the Prem and if your talking about English teams, we probably have a clear attractiveness right now given the number of young english players we start. Trent , Gomez, Ox, Hendo (not really young). I think also Sancho has some capability and star potential so as a signing it would be something they might want to keep open in case we miss out on Havertz and/or Werner to Bayern.

Jaytinho

I think our interest in Mbappe, Havertz, Werner and Sancho is genuine. I do also think that we are not bottom feeders in the market anymore and players will be definitely be offered to us first before Chelsea and United. I also believe Klopp is not a rash idiot and wont just splash on anybody. So with that said, I do believe Werner is the most likely due for a bid soon, followed by Havertz, THEN Sancho. With Mbappe we just have hope, nothing more

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Would love for that to be true, but i think the reason that Sancho is on the radar is because of the lure Bayern Munich has with german players. The most talented German players usually want to join Bayern or Dortmund because they get to dominate the bundesliga and "compete" in Europe.

Now i think Liverpool should do everything in their power to try and get these two players but Sancho would be easier to get to agree cause he would be coming back to the Prem and if your talking about English teams, we probably have a clear attractiveness right now given the number of young english players we start. Trent , Gomez, Ox, Hendo (not really young). I think also Sancho has some capability and star potential so as a signing it would be something they might want to keep open in case we miss out on Havertz and/or Werner to Bayern.
Of the 4 big names linked Sancho and Mbappe seem the more natural fit for what we seem to need. Dangerous (goal threats), fast, winger/wide forwards who would be joining the side to attack the box, at pace, by cutting in from wide positions to exploit the space created by Firmino/Minamino/Mane playing as false 9s. At the moment we only have Salah and Mane that do that role in that way in the seniors with Elliott in the youth sides. Havertz seems more like the Ox, Lallana, Jones and possibly Shaqiri style playing profile. I'm not sure he is actually what we need. He may be better than what we have but we don't actually have huge needs to use what we have in our "Plan A" and Ox and Jones are probably enough and good enough to meet the needs we do sometimes have. Werner seems like he may have the characteristics to play the role the right way and Klopp and the recruitment guys have a great track record and if they've seen enough to think he can successfully convert to the role I wouldn't be betting they are wrong. But on a casual viewing it's not a CF we need and that seems like more the role he has fit so far. Have to see who we go for out of those 4 or someone completely different like resurrecting the careers of O Dembele or Lemar or even someone we've never been linked to. I just think its exciting times. Instead of us all arguing on these boards about how we need to stop the rot and start challenging for Champions League places again we are now arguing over how or if we need to make moves to sustain success and become a dominant force in the sport for 10-20 years period.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
But there's also this:

Dominic King is one of the sources, so...
Can you honestly see the club dishing out 100m for this lad? I can't, it won't happen as long as such a fee is involved.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Would imagine we'd be the first choice for him given that we'd be the league champions as well as a previous 6 time champs league winner.

If he wants an upgrade from dortmund , he will probably be looking at the likes of Liverpool and City , and not clubs like Chelsea and man utd who at their current moment are happy to finish top 4.

Same goes for every other player we target like werner , havertz and mbappe.

Liverpool should be looking at getting two of the three bundelsiga guys. With the African cup of nations and the increased games that we face.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Can you honestly see the club dishing out 100m for this lad? I can't, it won't happen as long as such a fee is involved.
Yes, if that's what Klopp wants. The AFCON move could have swayed his hand, especially combined with Salah potentially going to the Olympics.. He may feel bringing in a top class forward is what we need to ensure we maintain this level.

I do think it would spell the end for Origi and Shaqiri though.

Bar signing a back up left back can you see any other area needing investment next summer? I think Curtis Jones gets promoted full time and replaces Lallana and until Henderson starts to decline the midfield is sorted for years etc.

Let's face it.. Salah, Firmino, Mane, Sancho, Minamino is probably the best attacking depth in world football..

Although the cynic in me just says our name gets thrown into the ring to make other teams meet a valuation - As we are the destination in world football.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
While I've never doubted Sancho's talent, I am increasingly unimpressed with what he is putting out on social media lately. It just suggests a lack of maturity and humility.

Obviously that's not the be all and end all, but it looks and sounds like it's important to Klopp.
Thats my concern also, but considering the amount of work we do in the community and the fact we seem to have a decent PR team now would hopefully mean that immaturity is removed.

waldaz

TIA Youth Team
How I see it

Werner - possible
Sancho - unlikely
Both - "What are you smoking over there?" (unless someone big is leaving)

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Playing the devil's advocate... Grujić (25 mil.), Shaqiri (25 mil.), Wilson (25 mil.), Karius (around 10 mil., clause should be automatically triggered), maybe a few kids getting sold... Another summer of net spend that is around zero, while the team gets strengthened - I wouldn't it put past Edwards and Klopp! The fee would be uncharacteristic for Liverpool, though, a definite league record if it goes through. I think it's only a matter of club, outside of PL, I can only see Barcelona being in for him.

SithBaare

Playing the devil's advocate... Grujić (25 mil.), Shaqiri (25 mil.), Wilson (25 mil.), Karius (around 10 mil., clause should be automatically triggered), maybe a few kids getting sold... Another summer of net spend that is around zero, while the team gets strengthened - I wouldn't it put past Edwards and Klopp! The fee would be uncharacteristic for Liverpool, though, a definite league record if it goes through. I think it's only a matter of club, outside of PL, I can only see Barcelona being in for him.
Outgoing players get the wages down as well. 100M is affordable , Whether he's worth that amount, that's another matter. There's a definite English Premium price which is being added here. Don't think we need to splurge just for the sake of having a british talent in. Liverpool spend when they have the right fit for the team. That's what we've seen with Edwards and Klopp.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
And losing Lallana's £150k from the wage bill could basically cover his wage.

LFCFFC

I don't think there's much doubt over our ability to afford Sancho's transfer fee or his wages. It comes down to whether the important people believe his addition to the squad would be worth dishing out what will like be north of £100m. Also of course, whether the player is willing to fight for a starting spot rather than walking straight into Chelsea or United's first team.

I'd say on the balance of probabilities, it's very unlikely...but I suppose you can't rule it out. There could be factors us plebs are not privy to that would influence our long-term planning i.e. Mo planning on leaving in 2021.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
(...)

Although the cynic in me just says our name gets thrown into the ring to make other teams meet a valuation - As we are the destination in world football.
Yes exactly, and you can add to that the Klopp-Dortmund link; this often leads to the media boys counting 2+2=5.

Don't get me wrong. We have the money. But as you say, it would be uncharacteristic for the club to acquire potential for that kind of fee. Sancho is a talented lad, but not by any means the finished product. One and a half good season so far isn't enough to pass a full judgment. Add to this some lingering doubts about his mentality, and... nah, I can't see it.

Potential will be looked at of course, and moves like the one for Minamino done. As it should be. But this kind of mega-money will be reserved for the finished product. Or for a new stadium expansion, haha!..

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Could you see us buying VvD or Alisson for their fees? Traditionally forwards are a lot more expensive than defenders and keepers.
Dropping world record fees on a goalkeeper and defender made sense because there was a clear urgent need in the first team to get the very best available for those positions.

You’re talking about buying a squad player - someone to cover Mane and Salah.

Signing Van Dijk and Alisson were exceptional moves, rather than something we should expect to be repeated.

Of the four names mentioned regularly - Mbappe, Sancho, Havertz and Werner - it’s Werner who makes most sense. He is versatile - able to play anywhere across the front three, available at a reasonable price and already used to our style of play through his time at Leipzig. We already have a good relationship with the club, who you’d imagine would be keen to keep him away from Bayern.

Havertz and Sancho who be 100m signings, and I don’t think the club go there unless they are trying to replace a key player.

SithBaare

Finished products, those two, not young hopefuls who still have everything to learn and prove.
Have to only look at Pulisic and his problems in Chelsea so far. Yes, He's not had Klopp to improve him , But spending big amounts on unproven talent can often backfire. Pulisic might come good but he'll have a fight on to start justifying his price tag. Same goes for Dembele.

Herb

While I've never doubted Sancho's talent, I am increasingly unimpressed with what he is putting out on social media lately. It just suggests a lack of maturity and humility.

Obviously that's not the be all and end all, but it looks and sounds like it's important to Klopp.
I mean he is still only 19. I’d say it’s pretty rare you could describe anybody of that age as mature and humble.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
We worked with Dortmund to get the Dembele price up when he went to Barca, so we could be doing something similar with Sancho.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Poch + United's resources is not a combination I'm interested in seeing.
As long as Woodward is still there I dont have too much concern. If they have a new DoF and Potch coming in then I would be concerned

Noo Noo

Dropping world record fees on a goalkeeper and defender made sense because there was a clear urgent need in the first team to get the very best available for those positions.

You’re talking about buying a squad player - someone to cover Mane and Salah.

Signing Van Dijk and Alisson were exceptional moves, rather than something we should expect to be repeated.

Of the four names mentioned regularly - Mbappe, Sancho, Havertz and Werner - it’s Werner who makes most sense. He is versatile - able to play anywhere across the front three, available at a reasonable price and already used to our style of play through his time at Leipzig. We already have a good relationship with the club, who you’d imagine would be keen to keep him away from Bayern.

Havertz and Sancho who be 100m signings, and I don’t think the club go there unless they are trying to replace a key player.
Enormous amount of logic in this post. (y)

I do like the sound of Havertz but I have a weakness for creative midfielders. Seeing someone tear a team apart from midfield is a real joy to watch. But I agree Werner makes the most sense., he's be more than useful too when you consider the rotation and tactical connotations (my word of the day) from having him in the squad.

It doesn't help Origi much but I think it's up to him to prove his worth.