Jadon Sancho (RW) Borussia Dortmund

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
To put it succinctly.

If we suffered a major injury to Mane or Salah, would that put the title in jeopardy?

I wonder how that number crunching looks from an executive level when we were going into January and the margin was slimmer at the top. Would we have pulled the trigger on a bigger purchase if we were only a few points ahead of Citeh? What's the tipping point? 25M? 50M? 75M?
Doesnt that depend on what alternative options are available?

Herb

Something I think a lot of people overlook when it comes to Sancho, he is only 19 years old. To be outputting the numbers he is at a huge club at that age is obscene to say the least. This is likely a generational talent and if we aren’t seriously considering him I’d be disappointed. Personally I feel like he’d be a surer bet for our style/system than Werner.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Something I think a lot of people overlook when it comes to Sancho, he is only 19 years old. To be outputting the numbers he is at a huge club at that age is obscene to say the least. This is likely a generational talent and if we aren’t seriously considering him I’d be disappointed. Personally I feel like he’d be a surer bet for our style/system than Werner.
Both Werner and Sancho would suit our style but Sancho is the better player (in terms of abilities and skills) with a higher potential.

Timo Werner for half the fee of Jadon Sancho makes him a no brainer as a 4th choice attacker because he can play central, left and right while Sancho is a RW.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
Both Werner and Sancho would suit our style but Sancho is the better player (in terms of abilities and skills) with a higher potential.

Timo Werner for half the fee of Jadon Sancho makes him a no brainer as a 4th choice attacker because he can play central, left and right while Sancho is a RW.
Sancho can play left wing as well though, for me he would give us pretty much the same positional flexibility as Werner. I think it comes down to other things than which positions the two cover. As you mention, transfer fee could be one of those things.

Another factor could be accepting his role. Werner is saying all the right things, in terms of having things to work on before he can be a regular starter. And maybe that's a deciding reason why they end up going for Werner rather than Sancho? Add quality while also respecting the existing hierarchy? I don't know, but it seems possible.

GaryBarlow99

I'd rather get the better player even if he is double the price. We can afford it.

Sweeting

Not saying you're wrong by any means but high output early in a career does not guarantee a continued improvement into the late 20s.

Michael Owen was the best player in the world as a teenager but was essentially finished at 23.

Jack Wilshire was in the Arsenal team at 16. Labelled a generational talent and the future of English football. By his early 20s he was barely a footballer.

Michael Johnson, Ravel Morrison, Adnan Januzaj, Ricardo Quaresma, Adriano, Antonio Cassano... the list of generational talents who burned out early, faded through injury, off field problems etc is high.

For me, if you're going to spend £100m on a player you have to be sure that they are good enough already for what you want, not that you think they can become a great player because the concept of potential is just too variable.

Having said that I think Sancho is highly impressive on the pitchbut whether he is good enough, or mature enough, to become our record signing... I have some doubts.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I'd rather get the better player even if he is double the price. We can afford it.
This is the thing I don't think a lot are getting. We make our own value. VvD was a better value for money for us than Keita was even though he was more expensive. A player that comes in and plays at a similar level as Salah, Mane and Firmino will be priceless and it won't matter if that player is free, cheap, expensive or a mega deal it will be a good deal and looking back with hindsight it will be considered a good move. Eyebrows were raised over Salah, VvD and Alisson before they happened, all were seen as deals we didn't need to make at those prices. All seen as worth every penny and then some now afterwards. As a club we have never had such high revenues coming in. Our surplus players have never been so desirable to other clubs (we will probably raise over 100 million on departing players). We've also never had such a quality, settled, balanced side with so few needs. We will probably buy very few players. We can afford to het the very very best for what Klopp needs regardless of the prices.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
A player coming in at more than 100 mil cannot be just a scary potential. Look what is happening with Felix and Dembele, teenagers who gone for ridiculous prices. In today's market where you pay ridiculous prices, you better make sure you are paying for someone with track record, for example someone like Icardi (just example), someone who is still young enough and scored shitloads of goals for a number of seasons at a high level.

Sancho is a great great potential but right now I am not so sure he is anywhere near the level of our front trio who not many in this world can rival. I am still not convinced he is worth 120mil or thereabouts. We could pay, that doesn't mean we should.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
A player coming in at more than 100 mil cannot be just a scary potential. Look what is happening with Felix and Dembele, teenagers who gone for ridiculous prices. In today's market where you pay ridiculous prices, you better make sure you are paying for someone with track record, for example someone like Icardi (just example), someone who is still young enough and scored shitloads of goals for a number of seasons at a high level.

Sancho is a great great potential but right now I am not so sure he is anywhere near the level of our front trio who not many in this world can rival. I am still not convinced he is worth 120mil or thereabouts. We could pay, that doesn't mean we should.
Jason Sancho has already played 87 senior matches for Dortmund, Dembele made 50, Felix made 43 before he moved. Sancho has been one of the best wide forwards in Europe for awhile now, just because he is young shouldn't be held against him. He's about to complete his 3rd full season at a true European heavyweight side and been a top player for them for a couple of seasons now. Dembele is actually a top talent. We helped Dortmund to fleece Barca a bit on price and there seem to be attitude issues but on the pitch theres nothing wrong with him and his performances. Its his injuries that are the main issues and can't do much about that. Felix was always a weird purchase, overpriced, inexperienced and generally nowhere near ready for that move. He may come good long term but headscratcher at the moment and nothing like a Sancho deal would be.

POOL4EVER

TIA Youth Team
Buy both for combined £150 mill and loan Sancho back to Dortmund (them paying his wages) until either Mo or Sadio go, go bad or reach 32 or maybe 34 -( whichever happens first !!) he`ll be 23/24 ish by then - Timo can go on bench until or if he breaks into starting line up as he`s goals mad now - simples !

POOL4EVER

TIA Youth Team
Ha Ha as Baldrick ( Black adder for those not in the know) would say "I have a cunning plan my lord (replace cunning with bold)"

Hopefully both keep scoring etc but both 28 next few months and play near or dammit every week incl nationally so may not last till 32 ish. I also think Sadio might be tempted away as he`s not always happy in my opinion to play second fiddle to Mo so could be that we would need top winger asap, maybe next 2 years

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Sancho had a dip in form at the end of last year and some ‚disciplinary issues' but he turned it around and looks like he could be Mbappes strongest challenger for the Ballon D‘Or in the future.

Mbappe on the other hand - I think he has a dip in form right now. We all knew that going to PSG and being influenced by Neymar won’t be good for him.

Spoiler Alert
One of them (can’t see both coming here) will sign for Klopp and win the Ballon D‘Or.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Jason Sancho has already played 87 senior matches for Dortmund, Dembele made 50, Felix made 43 before he moved. Sancho has been one of the best wide forwards in Europe for awhile now, just because he is young shouldn't be held against him. He's about to complete his 3rd full season at a true European heavyweight side and been a top player for them for a couple of seasons now. Dembele is actually a top talent. We helped Dortmund to fleece Barca a bit on price and there seem to be attitude issues but on the pitch theres nothing wrong with him and his performances. Its his injuries that are the main issues and can't do much about that. Felix was always a weird purchase, overpriced, inexperienced and generally nowhere near ready for that move. He may come good long term but headscratcher at the moment and nothing like a Sancho deal would be.
Sorry can't agree.

Firstly he is not completing his 3rd full season. Last season was his first real meaningful full season. The season prior he only played less than 700 minutes in the league, hardly near a full season or as a first team regular.

So undeniably he was very good last season..but one of the best for a while? That's stretching it. At best, he has been very good for the last season and a half.

Again I am not knocking his talent. More of looking at an angle of him being placed in a platform thats higher than how good he is actually now.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Dembele was playing regularly in France before he moved to Dortmund or doesn't that count?
I already said there isn't actually anything wrong with Dembele when he gets on the pitch anyway so it was a bad example to use. But he still played less games in France and Germany combined than Sancho has in Germany. Its like someone saying Trent is just a prospect still due to his age. It ignores just how many games the two have played and just how well established they are. Their age shouldn't be seen as a negative. Sancho, as he is now, if he is the finished product, is a really good player who would really help us out if he was in our squad. The fact that he can actually improve still (especially working with Klopp) and has most of his career ahead of him are benefits in my eyes not drawbacks like was suggested.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member

Just an opinion piece, I agree with suggestions that it feels very much like what happened with Alisson to me.
I dont think so. Utd are going big for Sancho and will massively overinflate his price.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
I dont think so. Utd are going big for Sancho and will massively overinflate his price.
Daily Mail or as I call them the Daily United as they are infatuated with them, are saying that they are confident they have Sancho for £120m.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Think the transfer prices will drop considerably this summer, clubs are in financial trouble. Barcelona, for instance, asked their players to take a pay cut what was refused by the players, clubs are desperate for money when the summer comes, they will not pay over 100m for a player for a while.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Daily Mail or as I call them the Daily United as they are infatuated with them, are saying that they are confident they have Sancho for £120m.
It doesn't matter how much United are willing to pay and how happy Dortmund might be with that price. The player has to want to go. Sancho can pick from the cream of European clubs at the moment. United may not even have Champions League and although they are a historically big side they're a mess right now. What top players would he be playing with? What top competitions would he be playing in? What world famous manager would he be learning from? What major honours would he be looking to add to his collection? If its only about money for him he will end up at PSG as a replacement for Mbappe or Neymar. United don't even win that fight. United have talked big in the transfer market for years now but since Fergie left their only two "wins" were Pogba by paying around 30% increase on value and something stupid paid to the agent to make it happen (and the player quite liking the idea of going back and proving them all wrong) and an aging Sanchez who wasn't even that good at £500k a week destroying their wage structure and causing all kinds of issues. I'm not saying Sancho won't make that move but it would surprise me right now. If I was him I'd prefer to stay at Dortmund another year and see what else becomes available if that's the only offer put to me.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
but then this.......

I dont see why we would need to sell Mane or Salah as we've not spent anything for a year and how are you strengthening if you are selling one of your best players?
It's not clear from the tweet whether the 'have to sell' is the line from our club or from his agent - he may not want to come to the club to be a rotation player. If it is from us, i would imagine it is a cost/playing time issue. Regardless of our financial performance, the club may not view our finances to be strong enough to bring a player in at that cost if he isnt starting most weeks. This may be even more significant in the current economic climate.