Jadon Sancho (RW) Borussia Dortmund

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
but then this.......

I dont see why we would need to sell Mane or Salah as we've not spent anything for a year and how are you strengthening if you are selling one of your best players?
Sounds very similar play to what we did with Alisson and Roma;

"Oh you want to sell the player we are extremely interested in buying and been pursuing for months? But at that price (that we always knew you would start negotiations at) theres no chance we could hope to secure him! We are his favoured destination? That's a shame we've got (pick either A or B) A Salah and Mane and we can't sell them to pay for him. B Karius and Ward and we are happy giving one of them a year as number one see if they earn it. Maybe next year. Oh you've dropped the asking price? Let's see what we can do..... actually yeah turns out we are bloody loaded, where do we sign for this purchase at a nice new cut price?"

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
It's not clear from the tweet whether the 'have to sell' is the line from our club or from his agent - he may not want to come to the club to be a rotation player. If it is from us, i would imagine it is a cost/playing time issue. Regardless of our financial performance, the club may not view our finances to be strong enough to bring a player in at that cost if he isnt starting most weeks. This may be even more significant in the current economic climate.
I think our midfield would still cost more than an attack of Salah, Firmino, Mane, Sancho, Minamino and Elliott. Henderson, Fabinho, Keita, Ox, Wijnaldum etc. are actually an expensive area of the pitch for us.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
I hoped he wouldn't end up at Man United because they finally started spending their money well but Man United is the most logical destination for him, all things considered. While James is a decent player, Sancho is many levels above him. With Fernandes pulling their strings and McTominay and Fred finally settling into form, they now have a proper counter-attacking system.

I'd love to see him play for Liverpool but his price tag is insane and I don't want to see either Mane or Salah leaving. That said, whoever buys him, gets a player for next 10-15 years, so I can see Man United's reasoning behind spending 100 million pounds on him.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Jan Aage Fjortoft does not have inside knowledge. I don't know why he gets any traction at all as a reliable source.

I'm unsure how anyone can speculate about transfers at all at the moment. Nobody knows what is going to happen.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Jan Aage Fjortoft does not have inside knowledge. I don't know why he gets any traction at all as a reliable source.

I'm unsure how anyone can speculate about transfers at all at the moment. Nobody knows what is going to happen.
I actually feel a bit weird about the figures being banded about, maybe day 4 of lock down has got to me, but all seems a bit strange to talk about spending £120mil on a 19 year old player when vast elements of the UK are applying for SSP which is £94 per week.

Limiescouse

I actually feel a bit weird about the figures being banded about, maybe day 4 of lock down has got to me, but all seems a bit strange to talk about spending £120mil on a 19 year old player when vast elements of the UK are applying for SSP which is £94 per week.
The market has to take a hit. The way Ligue Un and Bundesliga are talking, we're looking at only a small handful of clubs who can survive through this without considerable restructuring of their financial commitments. I dont imagine anyone will be prepared to pay summer 2019 fees for players this summer with such uncertainty about when they can resume playing and after taking such a massive financial hit.

Except Barca.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member

Sorry its just a distraction away from worry and reality right now. Make pretend everything is still normal kind of thing.

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
I think Sancho is just there in case Mane does indeed to try to go to Madrid... which there was rumors in the past of him wanting to go play for them as well as Zidane is supposedly a big admirer...

if we sell mane or salah .. we should be replacing them with mbappe not sancho.. but I will take sancho for sure. he would look great playing for us.. so would Timo... I don't think Madrid can buy both a mane and mbappe.. they chose one and if they go for mane we should buy mbappe.. that's how this should work

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin

I don't think Fjortoft is the real source here, much more reliable (domestic) news outlets have carried news about Sancho creeping closer to Man United for quite a while. We'll see what happens but even if it wasn't for him, it does seem logical that he will sign for Man United, at least at this point.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Sancho had a dip in form and showed some negatives off the pitch at the end of last year.

But in 2020 - and I have to admit it took me some time to realize - he looks like an future Ballon D'Or winner.

I just feel like he needs Jürgen Klopp and Liverpool to fulfill and rise above his potential.

He could join
City and be the next Sané
ManU and be the next Martial
Chelsea and be the next Pulisic
Barca and be the next Dembele
Real and be the next Jovic
Atlético and be the next Lemar

Join Liverpool and he will be one of the best players in the world - I have no doubt about that.

Red over the water

I'm chilled. I hope we get him as he is a very good player, and we could do with another top class winger.

We are a well run club and there's a sense that we've been saving up a bit too. We've also been growing the revenue streams quite well, so we should be well placed to withstand any hit that is coming to football, in light of the coronavirus.

Possible short term financial issues might mean a competitor or two drop out from the race for the type of singings we would want to make, so it might be prudent to pounce* now, while others tighten their belts.

* Since it's a potential transfer, this seemed the appropriate word

brush85

I think Sancho is just there in case Mane does indeed to try to go to Madrid... which there was rumors in the past of him wanting to go play for them as well as Zidane is supposedly a big admirer...

if we sell mane or salah .. we should be replacing them with mbappe not sancho.. but I will take sancho for sure. he would look great playing for us.. so would Timo... I don't think Madrid can buy both a mane and mbappe.. they chose one and if they go for mane we should buy mbappe.. that's how this should work
In your dreams, maybe. But in a real world, less so. Dirty money is the only way to afford Mbappe...his contract numbers are insane.

As for Sancho. Too many hurdles need to be jumped, while dominoes also fall, for it to happen. IMO of course.

jan has sources in germany...not sure how concrete but he isnt a bull bleeper. But he hasn't said anything here that wasnt already known.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Sorry its just a distraction away from worry and reality right now. Make pretend everything is still normal kind of thing.
I don't think Fjortoft is the real source here, much more reliable (domestic) news outlets have carried news about Sancho creeping closer to Man United for quite a while. We'll see what happens but even if it wasn't for him, it does seem logical that he will sign for Man United, at least at this point.
Like I said before, it's anyone's guess right now. I doubt Sancho, Dortmund, Edwards, Woodwood or anyone else truly knows what to expect from the coming months. What media outlets have previously reported doesn't seem all that relevant.

IMO it's a totally pointless exercise speculating at this stage.

Gazmaninaus

Only reading this thread because it feels like the longest Christmas Eve ever. I hope the football is back soon before I become an in isolation drunk. Or Isso as we say in Australia. Anyway. It would just be my luck to cark it from Rona just before the comp starts up again. Anyway in regard to Sancho or whatever his name is. He is not Mane or Salah. We already have them. Ah well back to the fridge.

GaryBarlow99

Would be the Phil replacement we didn't get when the Fekir transfer fell through. He is my number one target bar none this summer.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
Would be the Phil replacement we didn't get when the Fekir transfer fell through. He is my number one target bar none this summer.
For me Havertz would be that , more technical from central areas picking locks, where Sancho is like another Mane/Salah , a wide forward blistering pace, great movement and scores and assists from high up the pitch .
Would love both of them.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Oh, another opinion from manc Ferdinand, just what we needed. :rolleyes:

LFCFFC

Don't really know if it's a "blow" to Dortmund not having Liverpool interested in him.

As long as Ed's sniffing around, a bidding war's on the cards.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
Like I said before, it's anyone's guess right now. I doubt Sancho, Dortmund, Edwards, Woodwood or anyone else truly knows what to expect from the coming months. What media outlets have previously reported doesn't seem all that relevant.

IMO it's a totally pointless exercise speculating at this stage.
True but it's a nice distraction.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Very unlikely to join Liverpool this summer so him staying at Dortmund for another season could be the best thing that could happen to us.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
I do not think we were interested in Sancho anyhow. Not to sure about Werner either although he is/was clearly interested in LFC. I suspect we will end up with some with a better value option that Klopp can hone to perfection.

Red over the water

It will be interesting to see what, if any, big moves happen this summer. Man Utd are not well run inasmuch they have a mountain of debt to service. But they have a healthy cash flow so they might buy Sancho, especially if they can largely offset it by selling Pogba.

I could see us waiting it out for a year, buying a back up for Robbo, but not really doing too much business while we wait to see how Coronavirus impacts football.

We are well placed to do that if we keep everyone together, and then by summer 2021 we will know a lot more.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
I do not think we were interested in Sancho anyhow. Not to sure about Werner either although he is/was clearly interested in LFC. I suspect we will end up with some with a better value option that Klopp can hone to perfection.

The links to Milot Rashcica seem to make more sense in this regard, especially with the front 3 all staying here.

Red over the water

It’s an interesting one with Ole at Man Utd. As caretaker he massively overachieved and they had to give him the job. I’m sure they were expecting a friendly face, club man, unite them a bit, but ultimately flatter to deceive and then they could hire Pochettino or whoever, once Ole fell short. But his caretaker stint ticked all the boxes and he got the job.

Then as permanent manager it started to go a bit pear shaped. A lot of iffy displays and way short of the level they were showing when he was caretaker.

At that point they were at a crossroads. Stick or twist. Personally, I’d have binned him for Poch, (they still might at some point) but they stuck with Ole and they started to get it together a bit more again. They have a young team and Ole is growing in authority with them a bit. The way he has handled Pogba and his agent has been good.

If Sancho goes there they could be very dangerous again. Still need a top class central defender, maybe one or two others, but the ingredients are comfortably there for top four, if not quite this time, definitely next.

Unfortunately.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
It’s an interesting one with Ole at Man Utd. As caretaker he massively overachieved and they had to give him the job. I’m sure they were expecting a friendly face, club man, unite them a bit, but ultimately flatter to deceive and then they could hire Pochettino or whoever, once Ole fell short. But his caretaker stint ticked all the boxes and he got the job.

Then as permanent manager it started to go a bit pear shaped. A lot of iffy displays and way short of the level they were showing when he was caretaker.

At that point they were at a crossroads. Stick or twist. Personally, I’d have binned him for Poch, (they still might at some point) but they stuck with Ole and they started to get it together a bit more again. They have a young team and Ole is growing in authority with them a bit. The way he has handled Pogba and his agent has been good.

If Sancho goes there they could be very dangerous again. Still need a top class central defender, maybe one or two others, but the ingredients are comfortably there for top four, if not quite this time, definitely next.

Unfortunately.

Agree. They have made a good signing in Fernandez and they will throw money at all of the high profile players . Sadly money is no object to them.