• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Jadon Sancho (RW) Borussia Dortmund

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
Youve got to wonder why youd go Man U if you had the pick of where you want to go.
If you really want to go to us, Real or Barca then wait a year. He only has 2 years left on deal anyway so stay where you are and have more places to choose from next summer.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Yeah, some dodgy rumour to make them up the offer, oldest trick in the book.
I think it might be true. Yes, the club wouldn't be the first to use us to get a higher price, but Sancho and his agent have spent about 12-18 months leaking stories to the media about joining us.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
I mean he’s more than likely worth more than that amount of money.
Yeah clearly must be i guess if Dortmund are refusing £89m for him. Just think the fees being discussed are over the top, but clearly Chelsea are back buying everyone and hoping it works. Chelsea will be Liverpool of 13/14. Everything up front is banging, but out the back its all blue waffle.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Yeah clearly must be i guess if Dortmund are refusing £89m for him. Just think the fees being discussed are over the top, but clearly Chelsea are back buying everyone and hoping it works. Chelsea will be Liverpool of 13/14. Everything up front is banging, but out the back its all blue waffle.
All fees are over the top but the kid has the potential to be at the same level as Salah or Mane. Hes already performing better at Dortmund than they were before we bought them and he's incredibly young. How much would you value them two at?

rupzzz

TIA Regular
All fees are over the top but the kid has the potential to be at the same level as Salah or Mane. Hes already performing better at Dortmund than they were before we bought them and he's incredibly young. How much would you value them two at?
I have zero doubts about his talent, and the market is the market, so if he's worth say £135m to Chelsea or United, then that's what hes worth. My surprise at spending massive money on him would be that, considering the squads that Chelsea and United currently have, seems like the wrong place to be spending. But each to their own.

Salah and Mane have got to worth more than him as they've proven it and at their peak, but Sancho has time on his hands. As with any attempt at comparisons, it's challenging due to the many variables, including age, existing wages, contract length, the agent, what the media write, how long a contract length may be etc etc.

Regardless of how much he goes for, I'm sure Edwards has some aces up his sleeve and will strike when the time is right.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
He's a master of stating the obvious as well, though I like him for some undefined reason. Sancho has two more years left on his contract, if he rides out the Man United storm, he could be Liverpool's player this time next year. I doubt he'll wait, though, but I'm still not really sure why he's in a rush to leave Dortmund.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
He's a master of stating the obvious as well, though I like him for some undefined reason. Sancho has two more years left on his contract, if he rides out the Man United storm, he could be Liverpool's player this time next year. I doubt he'll wait, though, but I'm still not really sure why he's in a rush to leave Dortmund.
What do you think will they offer him in wages?

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
What do you think will they offer him in wages?
No doubt United will offer him more in wages that we will, but if the comments are real then he wants trophies just as much as a pay rise and recognition of playing for a top team. As good as Dortmund are, they dont have the Cache that the other clubs being mentioned do. They produce good teams and young stars, but they rarely win trophies, and wont be paying the sort of money to compensate for that.

Limiescouse

I think situations like Zaha are instructive - most players have only a small window for a move like this to be viable. Someone like Sancho is going to back his own talent, but there is the reality that at his age a big part of the attraction is the projection of what he will become. Every year that goes by in which the gap between the projection and the reality is not closed to zero his value goes down. Like I said, he will be confident of staying on the right trajectory, but he'd be a fool to ignore the possibility it goes the other way. Especially as it can be influenced by what is happening around him, such as Dortmund having a shitty year.

I'm thinking of players like Moutinho, who for 5-6 years was right at the top of the list of top CM targets that some of the elite clubs were supposedly looking at and he never moved (at least not high up the ladder), and all he ended up being able to secure was a job at Wolves.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Fjörtoft can fuck off.

His name can be added to the ‚unreliable' list.
I think the comments made are probably accurate, whether he has come to that conclusion from reading/watching comments from the club or spoken directly to sources at them.

We know the club have been interested in Sancho, and had tried signing him before he went to City. They retained interest when he went to Dortmund but the price is probably more than we would be comfortable to pay. He probably is on the club's shortlist to replace Mo, should he leave.

We know the club is going to be more active once it has confidence it has the cash to spend on the players it wants to strengthen, and perhaps moved on a few players to create guaranteed playing time.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Wouldn’t surprise me if they offer him more than VvD/Salah earn.

And we don’t give big contracts away for free. Our players had to earn their second contract with the very high wages.
Without a doubt - i think the rumours i saw the other day was that the offer would be approximately in the region of £250k - £375k pw which is far beyond what we pay even in second contracts

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
I think situations like Zaha are instructive - most players have only a small window for a move like this to be viable. Someone like Sancho is going to back his own talent, but there is the reality that at his age a big part of the attraction is the projection of what he will become. Every year that goes by in which the gap between the projection and the reality is not closed to zero his value goes down. Like I said, he will be confident of staying on the right trajectory, but he'd be a fool to ignore the possibility it goes the other way. Especially as it can be influenced by what is happening around him, such as Dortmund having a shitty year.

I'm thinking of players like Moutinho, who for 5-6 years was right at the top of the list of top CM targets that some of the elite clubs were supposedly looking at and he never moved (at least not high up the ladder), and all he ended up being able to secure was a job at Wolves.
Moutinho did play for pretty good Porto and Monaco sides, though (winning titles at both), and only ended up at Wolves in his 30s.

Having only recently turned 20, I think there's no need for Sancho to worry about stagnating just yet.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Seen that Kicker are saying he'd rather join us rather than United.

Unfortunately I can't see us spending that - on anyone - unless Salah moves for big money (which I don't want or see happening this summer).

brush85

Jan is probably right. But its Werner all over again but for even more money. The timing is awful for us with these players coming in from Germany...tis a shame.

Magnus

I don't think we would pay 100 mil for anyone this transfer market, but if it somehow happened, it would be hilarious. Not sure we need him either, although we could use him for sure. But really, this reads like the empty air guesswork of a bored journalist who had had 3 glasses of red wine at night, wondering what rumours he could invent so that he could write his daily sports article for a paper who doesn't care much for being accurate,

Apologies to the journalist, he was bringing forth rumours for Kicker, that Dortmund may have leaked (Or Sancho's representative). But it wasn't made up over 3 glasses of red wine in England, so there is that.

Mark Thurgood

Jan is probably right. But its Werner all over again but for even more money. The timing is awful for us with these players coming in from Germany...tis a shame.
I wouldn’t say that it’s Werner all over again or bad timing. I just think Klopp is being sensible with the recent/current pandemic and global issue, we’re being smarter financially. I believe we can afford £100m for one player but it’s pointless, because Edwards and Klopp would prefer to spend money on a couple of players and not one. If Dortmund believe Sancho is £100m then that’s what he’s worth. If he prefers too come to us, stay with Dortmund and wait until this time next year. I don’t really see why he’s in demand considering he’s 20.
I would also take a precarious approach if I was signing Sancho, only because Dortmund have done great for him, and now he seems to be turning.

Magnus

Seen that Kicker are saying he'd rather join us rather than United.

Unfortunately I can't see us spending that - on anyone - unless Salah moves for big money (which I don't want or see happening this summer).
Oh, it was from Kicker ? Then I may be wrong and have falsely accused the "good" Daily Mail journalist for writing funny rumours after 3 glasses of red wine :ROFLMAO:
I shouldn't have skimmed the article, it states it was from Kicker I read. But it was Daily Mail and the headline was a bit, well, it reeked of being untrustworthy.

CymruRed

Ad-free Member
If we really want him,Klopp will have his usual chat with him,if he comes across as the money orientated type of player then you can guarentee Klopp will put the phone down on him or shut down the laptop and let him go wherever the money takes him.Like Klopp says,learn your trade first and the money will always follow.

If he has asperations to play for us over United to win titles that badly then staying at Dortmund for one more season isn't really a big hardship is it,lets be honest here,he'll get more game time next season,another year older,more experience playing in the CL at a big club in Germany and still on really good money,the likes of us mere mortals could only dream of.

At a guess,if he doesn't make the move to United this summer,i'd say with one year left on his contract and his fee being lowered enough for us to make a bid,i'd say we could be in with a very big chance of signing him.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
Is anyone buying that LFC who have spent £8m in 2 years, won everything in sight and have the biggest kit deal in Prem history are skint?
We really should be in the conversation for this lad.
Maybe Salah staying (he was thought to be off) means we no longer need him?
I think if Mo or Mane was off we'd be all over Sancho.

Magnus

Is anyone buying that LFC who have spent £8m in 2 years, won everything in sight and have the biggest kit deal in Prem history are skint?
We really should be in the conversation for this lad.
Maybe Salah staying (he was thought to be off) means we no longer need him?
I think if Mo or Mane was off we'd be all over Sancho.
Not skint, but 100 mil is a lot of money for one man. We have never spent that much as far as I know without selling big under our current, good and responsible owners (no, not sarcastic here, I am very happy with our owners). But without Corona I think we may have indeed done that now. But Corona changes things a bit too. Income is far less than it should have been.

But I may be wrong.

Magnus

Fjörtoft can fuck off.

His name can be added to the ‚unreliable' list.
Fjørtoft is generally very reliable and doesn't do rumour-monging. He has good sources, particularly in Germany but also in England and he isn't particularly tabloid. Regarding everything he has ever written about Norwegian players for instance, he has always been correct. He is considered a very trustworthy source by football people in Norway.

Limiescouse

Moutinho did play for pretty good Porto and Monaco sides, though (winning titles at both), and only ended up at Wolves in his 30s.

Having only recently turned 20, I think there's no need for Sancho to worry about stagnating just yet.
Doesnt that support my point? I'm not going to use Moutinho as a hill to die on. I just used him as on off the top of my head example of a player for whom the window to move to an elite club closed after spending too long at a middling club. That window is real, and while it might be expected to stay open for someone as young as Sancho for several years more, it wont take that bad a year or too many more just ok seasons for it to start to close on him.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I feel like I've pointed this out a few times but us not being financially secure enough to go for the Werner purchase doesn't mean we couldn't sign a more expensive player.

Coronavirus has affected this season and likely a bit of next season in terms of income.

Werner would have required a £50m outlay within the next 12 months (period of most uncertainty for income) along with adding a weekly wage to the bill in line with our highest earners. This for a player who would, at least initially, be quite a far way off our starting front 3 with no guarantee he could get to their level and an element of playing style adjustment required (with no guarantee it would be successful) to fit one of the roles in our main 433 formation as an alternative option. It was a bad deal to move forward on.

Now take Sancho. We don't know what the wage situation would be but its at least possible, at 20, that he would accept our approach of working up to the big payday. He would join as a challenger/back up to Salah and Mane as a more natural tactical fit from playing style and a lot closer to the level of the go to choices with less adaptation required. Financially say for argument sake it's £110m, we could realistically account for maybe £30m of that being bonus adjustments, the earliest any could be triggered and ready for payment would be summer 2021 skipping the worst year of financial uncertainty. The remaining £80m could easily be agreed to be paid over 4 annual instalments of £20m each. So in summer 2020 its £20m not £50m being paid for a better tactical fit, a younger player, a home grown player (influences squad choice rules) and potentially a more palatable wage demand.

This isn't to say we will buy him or that we will buy anyone for big money this year. Only addressing the possibility of the factor of what we can afford and this false assumption I keep seeing that we definitely can't afford expensive players simply because we couldn't afford a "cheaper" player in Werner.