Jadon Sancho (RW) Borussia Dortmund

Jamie91

Sancho would be the dream signing for us , he would get lots of minutes and then eventually replace Salah.Ditch Origi and Shaq and our forward options would look exciting

Salah
Mane
Firmino
Sancho
Brewster

This would then give us our potential future front 3 with the others already in their prime :

Sancho Brewster Elliott

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Honestly, this doesn't worry me. He may well improve them, but id rather they spend 100m+ on a new forward than somewhere where they more seriously need strengthening.
Well, they need strengthening at right wing and he can be an elite player, so that's a worry for me... Especially as a lot of their players are in a similar age group. That said - and I think that I might regret saying this but here it is - I'd be a tiny bit more worried if they managed to get someone like Declan Rice, i.e. a talented youngster with significant experience in shielding the back line, who's good with the ball at his feet, plays simple and can snuff out opponents' counter-attacks. Their defence has improved significantly but getting someone like him to be Matić's long-term successor could be a game-changer for them, especially if they decide to play more expansive football and leave themselves open to counter-attacks and set-pieces.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
This is a done deal. No other team linked with him.

Its a concern to me. Our boys have run through walls for 3 years and theres bound to be a drop off at some point. They cant all be excellent for 4 years. City, United, Chelsea all spending and they will all improve.

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
the chavs and utd have improved but are still miles behind,top heavy with dogshit in defence.
I think Solskjaer’s tactics are to get as many people into the opponents’ penalty area as possible and then let the refs do the rest. Which, to be fair, has worked for them.

Tactical genius.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
the chavs and utd have improved but are still miles behind,top heavy with dogshit in defence.
They can both still improve both yet. United is easy, they already own a cracking keeper on loan. Bring him back and sell De Gea, use the De Gea money on a decent defensive player.... hmmm. Really really wish they hadn't made CL spots this season. Leicester really let themselves and everyone else down. A club their size, financial strength, history and in the CL? Attractive proposition for a lot of players including some good ones.

Dave-D

They can both still improve both yet. United is easy, they already own a cracking keeper on loan. Bring him back and sell De Gea, use the De Gea money on a decent defensive player.... hmmm. Really really wish they hadn't made CL spots this season. Leicester really let themselves and everyone else down. A club their size, financial strength, history and in the CL? Attractive proposition for a lot of players including some good ones.
De Gea is reportedly on 375k per week. Who is going to buy him.

Dave-D

They'll loan him to Inter then. With their goliath income streams they don't actually need incomings from player sales to spend.
Doesn’t really help. He’s still on the wage bill and is a yardstick for every player and agent to use for setting contract terms. Yes they’ve got a significant income but there does come a point when you’ve got De Gea taking home nearly 20 million a year and not playing. Then you add Sanchez and Pogba to the mix. It’s a shitstorm and will the glaziers accept that much of their money going to dross instead of paying interest on the debt

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
I'm really mad, tbh. I know we won't spend trillions on anyone this season, but next season will be a whole different story. Sancho is the only kid in the world I could say would be at the same level as our front three in a matter of one or two seasons. He is the next best thing after Mbappe at his age.

I know we will be okay as long as Klopp is our manager, but missing potentially the best player in the world in a few years is a huge blow, especially if United are grabbing him.

Damn it.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Doesn’t really help. He’s still on the wage bill and is a yardstick for every player and agent to use for setting contract terms. Yes they’ve got a significant income but there does come a point when you’ve got De Gea taking home nearly 20 million a year and not playing. Then you add Sanchez and Pogba to the mix. It’s a shitstorm and will the glaziers accept that much of their money going to dross instead of paying interest on the debt
Don't really care how much of a mess their accounts are, they'll either slowly get them under control over next few years or it'll be an anchor round the neck of a speed boat stopping it going as fast as it can but not stopping their spending completely. It will probably create some dressing room disharmony which will hopefully translate a little on the pitch. But sadly it won't negatively effect their buying and on pitch performance completely. They could still be a threat. Don't think they'll win the league soon but they also won't be going anywhere either.

Limiescouse

Well, they need strengthening at right wing and he can be an elite player, so that's a worry for me... Especially as a lot of their players are in a similar age group.
Yeah, I get it. Martial has never performed consistently, question will probably remain for a while about Rashford's fitness and Greenwood is far too young and inexperienced to rely on without back up for a whole season. So I get the value in strengthening their forward line. It might not make them better, but it will increase their chances of having a good selection for 38 league games.

However, i'm far more aligned to this bit of your post

Well, they need strengthening at right wing and he can be an elite player, so that's a worry for me... Especially as a lot of their players are in a similar age group. That said - and I think that I might regret saying this but here it is - I'd be a tiny bit more worried if they managed to get someone like Declan Rice, i.e. a talented youngster with significant experience in shielding the back line, who's good with the ball at his feet, plays simple and can snuff out opponents' counter-attacks. Their defence has improved significantly but getting someone like him to be Matić's long-term successor could be a game-changer for them, especially if they decide to play more expansive football and leave themselves open to counter-attacks and set-pieces.
If you think about the incremental improvements required to push a team from 3rd to higher, then spending a record fee on the area of the pitch where you are already best supplied when you have significant needs elsewhere...Im not too bothered about them doing that.

Limiescouse

They can both still improve both yet. United is easy, they already own a cracking keeper on loan. Bring him back and sell De Gea, use the De Gea money on a decent defensive player.... hmmm.
How can they sell De Gea? Who is going to buy him on that form at that salary? Hell, who is going to buy him at that salary even if he was playing well?

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
So it went from 60m plus add ons to a 120m deal (structured like most deals are anyhow).

It’s why I wait for the confirmation on these things, people know Jack all. We should be out in the market in my view and Sancho makes sense but I do wonder if our spending will be more later than usual.

Red over the water

If they sign Sancho it will be a very good signing for them. They are building something up again, unfortunately.

I think to trouble ourselves and Man City for the top two, Man Utd (and Chelsea for that matter) need their own versions of when we signed Van Dijk and Alisson. Oblak and Koulibaly, for example. If they did that, they are in a title race. If they sign Sancho and Chelsea Havertz, there’s a lot of nice attackers and they will be easy on the eye, whacking plenty of teams along the way next season. Definite top four.

However, they will lose a few here and there because when it’s not firing up front, and those days happen no matter who you have on the pitch, you need an excellent defence to bring you through.

So, gutted if they sign Sancho, as he’s a good player. Havertz similar if he goes to Chelsea too. But both teams still a bit short of title contenders.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
Im just gutted that our clubs never been at such high stock - we are champions of everything - yet are seemingly not looking to strengthen. Its risky. Yes we done it last season but another year has passed. I want us to dominate the way United did.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Im just gutted that our clubs never been at such high stock - we are champions of everything - yet are seemingly not looking to strengthen. Its risky. Yes we done it last season but another year has passed. I want us to dominate the way United did.
Walshy I agree with you, your post is well said. I see supporters at odds with each other on social media about spending and how you phrase it is exactly where I come out on it. I understand the financial reality of our club, but at the same time it would be great to strengthen while we are at an all time high, and dominate for several years.

EDIT: and I understand we were never likely to sign Sancho, but it does make me a little uncomfortable that UTD is getting him.