• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Jadon Sancho (RW) Borussia Dortmund

iftikhar

Im just gutted that our clubs never been at such high stock - we are champions of everything - yet are seemingly not looking to strengthen. Its risky. Yes we done it last season but another year has passed. I want us to dominate the way United did.
I get your concerns and sadness. But it's not that we aren't looking to strengthen. We are looking for the right players and not just the good players.

Chelsea and United were so messed up that they needed this splurge just to be competitive again.

I'm not naive and I said about the positions we need to strengthen. I think we will get the players we need.

Limiescouse

Im just gutted that our clubs never been at such high stock - we are champions of everything - yet are seemingly not looking to strengthen. Its risky. Yes we done it last season but another year has passed. I want us to dominate the way United did.
Like when they unsettled the best midfield in the world by trying to insert a high priced Serie A star into it and ended up having a bust of a season, in large part because of that disruption?

There are numerous ways of strengthening. One of the keys to Utd's domination was moving on a handful of experienced high paying players to make room for the home grown players who would become the heart of their next side. If we dont buy it will be because Klopp thinks his best option is to put faith in the players already here rather than because a lack of desire to see the outcomes as you.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
Walshy I agree with you, your post is well said. I see supporters at odds with each other on social media about spending and how you phrase it is exactly where I come out on it. I understand the financial reality of our club, but at the same time it would be great to strengthen while we are at an all time high, and dominate for several years.

EDIT: and I understand we were never likely to sign Sancho, but it does make me a little uncomfortable that UTD is getting him.
That's definitely the aim. The problem is that in this climate, with the virus making a resurgence, spending so much on a player is lunacy. It is frustating but going for more sensible, lesser known and probably much "cheaper" options is the right course of action at this time.

In any case, even if they do get Sancho, he's still going to be managed by Solskjaer. I wouldn't be that worried.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Absolutely no one has said this other than those wanting us to drop a tonne of money on individual players, or those that look for every opportunity to criticize the owners.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Like when they unsettled the best midfield in the world by trying to insert a high priced Serie A star into it and ended up having a bust of a season, in large part because of that disruption?

There are numerous ways of strengthening. One of the keys to Utd's domination was moving on a handful of experienced high paying players to make room for the home grown players who would become the heart of their next side. If we dont buy it will be because Klopp thinks his best option is to put faith in the players already here rather than because a lack of desire to see the outcomes as you.
I think a lot of people forget just how poor many of Fergie's signings were, particularly in the '90's when he got bailed out by the youngsters who went on to form the core of the team for the next 5-10 years alongside Keane.

The truth is we don't have the money or room to make as many mistakes in the market as Fergie and his successors could.

Plamen

I think a lot of people forget just how poor many of Fergie's signings were, particularly in the '90's when he got bailed out by the youngsters who went on to form the core of the team for the next 5-10 years alongside Keane.

The truth is we don't have the money or room to make as many mistakes in the market as Fergie and his successors could.
And lets not forget that during Ferguson early years Chelsea and City were completely different entity from today.If Chelsea and City had that financial power they have today in the 90s I doubt Man United would have won so many league titles.

Red over the water

I think we will go into the market this window, and my best guess is Thiago and Kabak, maybe another forward option, especially if Origi leaves.

As for the likes of Sancho and Havertz, I’m a bit sad we’re not in for them, but on the other hand, I can’t wait to see what becomes of Jones, Elliott, and even Brewster might come back and smash some goals in. He lost a couple of seasons to injury but he was every bit a peer to Sancho when they were breaking through.

brush85

Poor? I need a list because for every bad ( significant player ) one, there will likely be two good ones.

Its sucks about Sancho but two years from now, there will be someone else.

MinniMo

I think we're one of the few teams that are being extremely sensible right now. The number of Covid cases are rising around the world (and here) again, and there is a very high chance of us all going back into lockdown again. Unless that vital vaccine can be found to be safe and plentiful within a couple of months, we may have to hunker down again.

In terms of football, that will mean having to still pay out for all new players + huge rises in wages bills with no income, again. I honestly think LFC are doing the right thing just now in holding back, don't like it - but it's a bit like knowing castor oil tastes vile, but you know it will do you good.

If any player is needed before the next transfer window, Klopp will ensure that is covered, then see how everything is for that next window. We really shouldn't get to where we are spending a mass of money on wages for expensive players, that are probably going to be sat at home twiddling their thumbs for weeks on end.

brush85

I think we're one of the few teams that are being extremely sensible right now. The number of Covid cases are rising around the world (and here) again, and there is a very high chance of us all going back into lockdown again. Unless that vital vaccine can be found to be safe and plentiful within a couple of months, we may have to hunker down again.
I think domestic football will be fine. The issue is next years champions league....if that cant be played, thats another 60+ million in broadcasting that goes away.
And if that happens, we have zero margin to do anything but pay current salaries.

The current moment is absolutely the football version of your parents asking you if you would jump off a bridge, if your friends did it.

vzok

I know they are a big name and there is money galore, but it’s still slightly puzzling that good young players would want to play under Solskjaer

Lynch04

Smeg Head
My opinion for what its worth. We have money but we are not gonna show our hand. I think Sancho is a great player but for the figures quoted its not economical, you would also expect him to be a starter.
Man Utd, Are spending money on a player that doesn't strengthen their weaknesses and possibly stifles Greenwood. So okay, you now have 4 fast attackers and Ighalo possibly, why spend so much on a player who’s characteristics you already possess.
I dont expect Utd to strengthen defensively apart from maybe Henderson over De Gea.
Chelsea...i think Frank is putting together a good team and signing some good attacking talent, but again he is strengthening in areas where they are already strong. So he has Pulisic, Werner, the Ajax player and looking to add Havertz. But has no real CB, GK issues and a midfield that dont really compliment each other - albeit some good players. How they shape up will be interesting.
City will be City, i dont think Ake is the answer to their questions re:cb, Foden takes Silvas place and you still have quality with Mahrez/B.Silva and Sterling obviously KDB is a different gravy so no real need to upgrade. An Aguero replacement may be one of their main requirements along with the annual full back merry go round.
Arsenal, Tottenham need a lot more work, both have great players attacking wise but again are soft down the spine.
Liverpool, blessed with a front 3 that doesnt really need tinkering with, maybe a better back up than the Legend Origi and Brewster providing Firmino cover. I liked the Minamino signing and still do, but at present dont feel we can rely on him, he just seems too passive, almost in admiration of where he is (like at the presentation).
Lallana=Jones, Elliott=Shaqiri? Which leaves the Wilson/Grujic conundrum...i personally believe we will cash in on Shaqiri, Wilson and Grujic.
So you replace Lovren, a LB cover but where else? As rumours suggest you drop Thiago into the mix but unless we are signing Mbappé / koulibay (sp) excluding Messi/Ronaldo you are struggling to improve our first 11 on their day.
Okay, if I was playing FM or FiFa I may replace a few players purely on reputation but as a team/squad we are blessed with a great unit which means so much more than the “hollywood” names.

brush85

I know they are a big name and there is money galore, but it’s still slightly puzzling that good young players would want to play under Solskjaer
The coaches come and go...sancho has probably played under 3 different coaches at Dortmund already. Its more the platform, the money and the teammates.

United have the platform and the money. The teammates, at least in forward areas, are good too.

CymruRed

Ad-free Member
If reports were true,where he had stated that he wanted us over United and he can't wait another season,then he never really gave that much of a shit to play for us anyway (he's probably using us as leverage to get a bigger contract at United),let him go to them.

As decent a player as he may be on the pitch,choosing to play for OGS over Klopp isn't the smartest of decisions as far as i'm concerned,we don't need those types of players in our club,we've let plenty of them walk away and it's never hurt us,infact it's made us stronger,as we look even harder to get players with the right attitude and 100% commitment to LFC,which by the looks of it atm,may not be Sancho.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
If reports were true,where he had stated that he wanted us over United and he can't wait another season,then he never really gave that much of a shit to play for us anyway (he's probably using us as leverage to get a bigger contract at United),let him go to them.

As decent a player as he may be on the pitch,choosing to play for OGS over Klopp isn't the smartest of decisions as far as i'm concerned,we don't need those types of players in our club,we've let plenty of them walk away and it's never hurt us,infact it's made us stronger,as we look even harder to get players with the right attitude and 100% commitment to LFC,which by the looks of it atm,may not be Sancho.
Not only would United pay him more than we would but we'd both pay more than Dortmund will be. So you want him to turn down millions in extra earnings for next season by staying in Dortmund so that he can accept to earn millions less per year by joining us instead of them because we MIGHT try to sign him next year. But then again we might not so he might have just washed millions of pounds down the drain for nothing and United might still be the best move he has available to him. We can come across quite arrogant on this. United and Liverpool are both massive clubs with prestigious histories that its a real feather in your cap to have played for one. From the outside looking in it may come across that United are a good, young squad, starting to go places under a talented young manager. Personally disagree and it was Leicester having such a late season collapse that allowed United to sneak in and grasp Europe. But they certainly won't seem that bad a choice. And Klopp said he wanted people who wanted to help get the train moving as a sign they had the right character, well which club needs that now? If he's going there he's going to go roll his sleeves up and help them try get their train moving. A bad character would have been someone willing to go to PSG collect mega money and half arse their way to league title after league title.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
I think the club expected either Mane or Salah to go this summer but COVID means that a lot of teams can’t afford them.
I’m not bashing FSG but they have never bought big without selling a big name so they won’t be bringing in Sancho, Havertz or Werner when they won’t be a 100% starter.
Klopps performed miracles in getting this team to peak for 2 years but there might be a slight drop off soon due to fatigue and mentally having to come out knowing you have to win 30 games to win the league with City about.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I think the club expected either Mane or Salah to go this summer but COVID means that a lot of teams can’t afford them.
I’m not bashing FSG but they have never bought big without selling a big name so they won’t be bringing in Sancho, Havertz or Werner when they won’t be a 100% starter.
Klopps performed miracles in getting this team to peak for 2 years but there might be a slight drop off soon due to fatigue and mentally having to come out knowing you have to win 30 games to win the league with City about.
I dont think there is any evidence to suggest they were expecting any of our forwards to leave this summer.

If anything, the regular giving of new contracts suggested the opposite. The club expect the players to stay and build on their success here.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
I dont think there is any evidence to suggest they were expecting any of our forwards to leave this summer.

If anything, the regular giving of new contracts suggested the opposite. The club expect the players to stay and build on their success here.
iM glad they are all staying . Mane hasnt signed new deal yet and only has 2 years left I think.
We just need quality depth.

brush85

It comes down to opportunity. You say wait 12 months but who is to say that our financials will be better then? Wait another 12 months after that?

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
So we should spend 100mil to buy Sancho then? In the midst of uncertain financial impact? Before we demand the club to do that, would we do that in our own personal life? Go out and buy a brand new car that you might not know whether you can afford it? I don't care if Man U buys him. When you look at a club who has almost half a billion in debt and still wants to spend close to a 100mil one one player, you do not call that ambition, you call that reckless.

We do not spend big unless a big name leaves not because FSG has no money to do otherwise, but because that is exactly how they - and I mean the owners down to Klopp - want to run the club. We do not hoard players that are nice to have, just in case. Sancho, Werner, Havertz are all great talents but if buying known talents for big money are the only way to succeed, we would never have number 19.

I agree we need to strengthen somehow or another, but buying Sancho or any big names out there, is not the only way.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
£16mil a year basic wage.. No wonder they fucked Sanchez off.. Fucking Utd, selling to buy..

Red over the water

Man Utd’s finances are another form of crookedness in the game. You have the abuses of Man City, PSG... but the leveraged buy out stuff at Man Utd is terrible. The club was relatively debt free but then the Clampetts rolled up and got control, loading the debt back onto the club and creaming off profits and dividends along the way.

They are similar to our own G&H, only slightly less reckless, and the Utd financial juggernaut stronger to withstand the scheme. But to my mind it is being hollowed out from within and their club gets weaker because of it. The green and gold until we’re sold thing was getting some momentum, but it all seems to have fizzled out, and maybe the average Utd fan is happy enough that they are back at the top table. But to my mind it’s not a stable platform they are working on.

Top four when you were outside looking in is satisfying. But they will want to challenge for the title soon enough, and I don’t see that happening, not with Oleh at the wheel. At that point it will be a stepping stone for Sancho if he goes there. Profile boost, money, etc. But no Prem and no CL, and before too long he will be restless.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Man Utd’s finances are another form of crookedness in the game. You have the abuses of Man City, PSG... but the leveraged buy out stuff at Man Utd is terrible. The club was relatively debt free but then the Clampetts rolled up and got control, loading the debt back onto the club and creaming off profits and dividends along the way.

They are similar to our own G&H, only slightly less reckless, and the Utd financial juggernaut stronger to withstand the scheme. But to my mind it is being hollowed out from within and their club gets weaker because of it. The green and gold until we’re sold thing was getting some momentum, but it all seems to have fizzled out, and maybe the average Utd fan is happy enough that they are back at the top table. But to my mind it’s not a stable platform they are working on.

Top four when you were outside looking in is satisfying. But they will want to challenge for the title soon enough, and I don’t see that happening, not with Oleh at the wheel.
Long may it continue.

Limiescouse

£16mil a year basic wage.. No wonder they fucked Sanchez off.. Fucking Utd, selling to buy..
Yet reports today are they could have got Bellingham, with Ole believing he would play as much as half of their games NEXt season, but they baulked at his 50 grand a week wage. I get that is a ton to give a 17 year old. But a player who is good enough to play 20 games in a CL caliber side, it's completely reasonable.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Yet reports today are they could have got Bellingham, with Ole believing he would play as much as half of their games NEXt season, but they baulked at his 50 grand a week wage. I get that is a ton to give a 17 year old. But a player who is good enough to play 20 games in a CL caliber side, it's completely reasonable.
I've read a few reports that most clubs are 1 in 1 out for the most part.

Chelsea for example have to sell before buying a defender, with Zouma, Kante, Palmieri, Christensen, Alonso all for sale.

petergriffin2020

It's all for me grog
As good as he is, he's not getting in the team ahead of Mo at the moment. Even if COVID wasn't an issue, I don't think FSG would be willing to fund mega wages for someone who isn't regularly playing.

As for paying for potential, I remember when Luke Shaw was supposed to be the best left-back in the Premier League for the next 10 years. :ROFLMAO: Too bad for them that accolade lives with a certain Scot who cost 30% as much.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin

If true, it's not the matter of what he'll be earning when he signs but what he'll be earning when he extends his contract with them. I imagine he'll become one of world's best players there but I wonder what Rashford, Martial and Greenwood will expect from the club looking at what the likes of De Gea, Pogba and Sancho earn there.