• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Jadon Sancho (RW) Borussia Dortmund

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
The Messi question also comes to my mind with this fragile fair weather player:
“But can he do it on a cold, rainy night in Stoke?“
I doubt it.
Well he couldn't do it on a mild night in Liverpool, so I think you're right there.

Maybe he'll be inspired by City's passionate supporters and the rocking atmosphere of the Emptyhead stadium.

boston red

Show me the Mane.
Only clubs spending obviously Chelsea City usually United spend more than we do where they're currently treating Sancho's deal like Bruno's clearly without penalty Fernandez no top 4 that's a different story.
Without crystal ball I do wonder if Sancho could stay one more year with Dortmund with their blessing where are clothes can come in next year

Red over the water

If Sancho stays another year we might be in for him next summer. Lots of variables between now and then with what happens with COVID, plus possible movement within our squad. We do know that Klopp likes the player, but at the moment we are being cautious in our business given the all round uncertainty, plus the quality of our squad as is.

Limiescouse

If Sancho stays another year we might be in for him next summer. Lots of variables between now and then with what happens with COVID, plus possible movement within our squad. We do know that Klopp likes the player, but at the moment we are being cautious in our business given the all round uncertainty, plus the quality of our squad as is.
Honestly, I think with the wages being banded about this summer, I think the only way that move is viable is if Sancho agrees to leave a massive amount of money on the table to come to us but we sure as hell are not matching those figures for a new signing of his age and stature.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Even in normal times, paying 100mil for any player is not a norm. Maybe one day it will but Liverpool under Klopp and Edwards will never pay over what is 'market average'. Just like we paid high prices, or as we thought, for VVD and Alisson, but to no surprise, that was easily surpassed very soon so even though we thought its high, it is actually a good call that it is the so called market price. I do not see 100mil as the market average because simply there are plenty of players who could become as good as Sancho for much lesser. That is what you use a scout and coaching team for. Its hard to convince me and I suspect alot of people that Sancho is the one of the kind who is a must have at 100mil.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Even in normal times, paying 100mil for any player is not a norm. Maybe one day it will but Liverpool under Klopp and Edwards will never pay over what is 'market average'. Just like we paid high prices, or as we thought, for VVD and Alisson, but to no surprise, that was easily surpassed very soon so even though we thought its high, it is actually a good call that it is the so called market price. I do not see 100mil as the market average because simply there are plenty of players who could become as good as Sancho for much lesser. That is what you use a scout and coaching team for. Its hard to convince me and I suspect alot of people that Sancho is the one of the kind who is a must have at 100mil.
You're over exaggerating when you say easily. United with Maguire was almost a status symbol thing and still the only defender more expensive than Virgil. Kepa was matching a release clause in desperation as they lost out on Alisson to us and is still the only keeper more expensive. In fact in the 30 most expensive deals those are the only 2 keepers and 2 of only three defenders (De Ligt the other). We still have shopped with the big boys when it has come to defence and keeper.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
And rightly so, the club has bought in positions it has needed to and that has led to the title, I won’t say Chelsea haven’t but they need a lot more at the back than they have bought and don’t get me started on the circus at City, up to now it looked reasonably sensible, no doubt improvements but probably ones that would take time and not near the quality in our back line but now well it’s basically taken over their entire obsession as this will take a while to conclude you suspect.

Limiescouse

You're over exaggerating when you say easily. United with Maguire was almost a status symbol thing and still the only defender more expensive than Virgil. Kepa was matching a release clause in desperation as they lost out on Alisson to us and is still the only keeper more expensive. In fact in the 30 most expensive deals those are the only 2 keepers and 2 of only three defenders (De Ligt the other). We still have shopped with the big boys when it has come to defence and keeper.
I think you are maybe slightly misunderstanding his point though.

If Virgil would have gone to City, do you think we'd have gone in for Maguire for that amount in January instead? If Alison had have gone to Chelsea, do you think we'd have activated Kepa's clause? Of course not.

Yes, in those specific cases we competed financially on an the fee, but it was for very specific and incredibly finely targeted players. The clubs we are competing against missed out on their number 1 and then just threw the same amount of money out at the next in line. Because they can, and because they have a culture of thinking that's how you solve a problem.

Last edited:

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I think you are maybe slightly misunderstanding his point though.

If Virgil would have gone to City, do you think we'd have gone in for Maguire for that amount in January instead? If Alison had have gone to Chelsea, do you think we'd have activated Kepa's clause? Of course not.

Yes, in those specific cases we competed financially on an the fee, but it was for very specific and incredibly finely targeted players. The clubs we are competing against missed out on their number 1 and then just threw the same amount of money out at the next in line. Because they can, and because they have a culture of thinking that's how you solve a problem.
It was only really this that I disagreed with;

"...that was easily surpassed very soon so even though we thought its high, it is actually a good call that it is the so called market price..."

It wasn't "easily surpassed" they are still some of the biggest fees in the sport for those types of players. More than any of City, PSG, Real, Barca, Bayern or Juventus have ever spent and only Juventus has even got close on a defender. It's still way above average market prices for a CB and a keeper. But we have a terrific recruitment team and we target players for a reason so if they cost a lot there will be a damn good reason why. We are a club just as likely to get a perfectly fitting left back or two for under £15m each and be the envy of the league for spotting the value but we can and have gone for the "obvious" choices too if they've fit what we want/need even if it has mean ridiculous levels of spending. Sometimes what we want/need will be quite rare and to get it we will fork out. So far it's been incredibly successful when we have had to do it too. Unlike clubs with ill thought out transfer plans.

Limiescouse

It was only really this that I disagreed with;

"...that was easily surpassed very soon so even though we thought its high, it is actually a good call that it is the so called market price..."

It wasn't "easily surpassed" they are still some of the biggest fees in the sport for those types of players.
When Rio broke the world record for a defender, the record stood for ten years. The record for Virgil lasted half a season. The record for Alisson lasted 2 weeks.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
When Rio broke the world record for a defender, the record stood for ten years. The record for Virgil lasted half a season. The record for Alisson lasted 2 weeks.
But they're still top two in their categories. If we were Real Madrid they'd be referred to as Galactico signings. But we don't spend big to spend big. We buy the absolute perfect player for our needs. Sometimes that player is cheap or undervalued. Sometimes they are amongst the most expensive players in their category. I'd say undervalued will continue to be the norm but never rule out a big money deal for us. One will happen again at some stage. If it's for a forward it'll likely be a club record too.

Not Worthy

But they're still top two in their categories. If we were Real Madrid they'd be referred to as Galactico signings. But we don't spend big to spend big. We buy the absolute perfect player for our needs. Sometimes that player is cheap or undervalued. Sometimes they are amongst the most expensive players in their category. I'd say undervalued will continue to be the norm but never rule out a big money deal for us. One will happen again at some stage. If it's for a forward it'll likely be a club record too.
Just to add to this, value and price need to be appreciated too. VVD and Alisson were value to us, were high end purchases that have produced returns and increased their resale prices. Salah, Mane, Firmino similarly, though less extravagant as purchases. Robertson, an outrageously good spot were value and price diverge.

It's need meets budget that we seem good at getting right, more times than not.