• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Jamal Lewis (LB) Norwich City

Obligatory lean poll

• Random desk, signing a random piece of paper, wearing a top Twitter fumes about

• Leaning against the Wall of Champions, pointing to 19, waggling his eyebrows

• The substitute's bench, where he'll be spending 99% of his time

• A railing at Melwood

• On a video conference from his home, unboxing a Nike top they sent him for free anyways

• From underneath a pile of masks

• Andy Robertson's house, where he ran to just to prove a point

• A growing pile of FSG out signs from lads wanting marquee signings

• Hope's private holiday chalet in the Alps

• Delia Smith's wine cellar

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin

It's a bit inconclusive, especially the part about Tsimikas but still, it's Melissa, she's reliable and Mercyful Fate have an album named after her.

rab

A shortlist of four doesn't sound like our usual approach but if true it's clear we see this as an area to be addressed but at a reasonable price.

Not sure £10m will get him though. Suspect they'd want a good chunk more than that.

Dave Maddock dropping the same story in the mirror a few minutes later. Sounds like something has been briefed.

Sweeting

Surprised by the talk of our analytics team seeing him tick the same boxes as Robertson and being "excited by his potential", what I saw of him did not suggest he was a natural attacking wingback, much more of a defensive minded player who sometimes gets forward simply because Norwich's playing style warrants it.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
10 million? Fine. Don't expect him to compete with Robertson though.

Strong in the dribble and an impressive passing range? If you say so Melissa.
I know you're not his biggest fan but I think this might work. I can't say that I've been too impressed by him but I also once said that Robertson would have been a decent backup for left back spot and that Maguire would have been a great signing from Hull if he had only had more pace. Lewis has pace and decent technical ability, just like Klopp's fullbacks ought to have. I feel sorry for Lewis if he signs for Liverpool, though, a bargain left back from a relegated side - everyone will turn on him and FSG first time he has a poor match.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
I know you're not his biggest fan but I think this might work. I can't say that I've been too impressed by him but I also once said that Robertson would have been a decent backup for left back spot and that Maguire would have been a great signing from Hull if he had only had more pace. Lewis has pace and decent technical ability, just like Klopp's fullbacks ought to have. I feel sorry for Lewis if he signs for Liverpool, though, a bargain left back from a relegated side - everyone will turn on him and FSG first time he has a poor match.
He reminds me of Moreno, gets forward well enough but I've never seen Lewis do anything damaging with the ball.

He's a good athlete and apparently has a good attitude which is a good base but he's not the best defender or the best crosser of the ball, so any talk of him 'competing' with Robertson is nonsense IMO, a long long way to go for that be to be the case.

CymruRed

Ad-free Member
Seems decent enough as a back up,lets be honest,we are never going to get a World class LB to sit on the bench,it was either going to be an old out of contract player or a young kid,lets be fair it's probably better to go for the latter,up and coming youngster,with premiership experience and potenial to get better,who'll accept his position and not play up.With any luck,it'll stop the LB back up debate for awhile now.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
With them all being briefed at same time its one of a few options;

1 Hes signing within days.

2 Its been leaked as a ploy. Maybe one of "the four" needs to realise we have other options?

3 Its been leaked as a negotiating tactic for him or another that we are looking to spend around £10m on our choice to encourage someone to back down on price to get the job done.

Or it could be a combination of any of the three.

lightdrizzle

TIA Reserve Team
All sounds good, but dont see us getting him for £10m, we managed it once cant see them lightning striking twice.

JMac8

Seems decent enough as a back up,lets be honest,we are never going to get a World class LB to sit on the bench,it was either going to be an old out of contract player or a young kid,lets be fair it's probably better to go for the latter,up and coming youngster,with premiership experience and potenial to get better,who'll accept his position and not play up.With any luck,it'll stop the LB back up debate for awhile now.
With the added benefit of Klopp to improve him

Dave-D

Could it be 10 million plus a player ie Brewster for the season on loan or Larouci permanently

Joe Gomez x

Heard that he’s come back from holiday off Twitter. Wonder is the deal further down the line than thought. Fabinho-esque

kiwiredman

This is my serious face
He reminds me of Moreno, gets forward well enough but I've never seen Lewis do anything damaging with the ball.

He's a good athlete and apparently has a good attitude which is a good base but he's not the best defender or the best crosser of the ball, so any talk of him 'competing' with Robertson is nonsense IMO, a long long way to go for that be to be the case.
Competing with Robbo certainly a stretch, but as it stands Robbo has absolutely no competition as Milly is only used when absolutely necessary at LB. Otherwise Robbo is comfortable (not that his commitment suggests it) in the knowledge that he is only displaced due to an injury or when JK believes Milly can do the job against specific opposition.

I haven't really watched him, so can't comment on his ability, however if puts out similar data to what Robbo was producing at Hull, then I'm all for it. If his attitude is as good as they say and he has bollocks half the size of Roobo's, I'm very happy to see what Klopp and the coaching team can get out of him. If he does sign, lets just all hope he doesn't become Moreno MKII ! :oops:

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
Dont know enough about him, but looking at the Norwich forum they don't seem to rate him highly and are surprised he is linked with us.

Here are some comments made by their supporters:

As an aside, whilst Lewis would no doubt be an excellent player for us in the Championship, I don't think he's of the quality Liverpool would require for him to play regular games if Robertson gets injured. £10m seems a bit cheap, but £15m wouldn't be a bad deal

and

it does seem odd, but we do seem to think this about Jamal...though that does seem slightly out of kilter if Liverpool, the new PL Champions, think he’s good enough for them (even if only as back up).

and

Out of all our young players I think he's the most limited. Great athlete and very tidy on the ball, but frankly a bang average defender with little attacking instinct. £10m does sound crazy cheap though.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
Sounds about what we need. We probably won't see him play a game for 7 months after he signs anyway. Millie and co will still be ahead of him until klopp does whatever mind tricks he does with the new signings. Took an injury half way through year to get Robertson in the team. And we all knew he was the eventual first choice LB. This would be different story.

Joe Gomez x

Jamal Lewis Stats Norwich 19/20 (All comps + friendlies)

Starts: 49
Goals: 1
Assists: 0
Clean Sheets: 5
Average Conceded per G: 1:37
Average passing accuracy: 77%
Tackle %: 69%
Yellow cards/ Red card: 5/0
Transfermarkt worth: 9.9m

Andy Robertson Hull Stats 16/17 (all comp)

Starts: 39
Goals: 1
Assists: 3
Clean Sheets: 5
Average Conceded per Game: 1:10
Average passing accuracy:
Tackle %: 68%
Yellow Cards/ Red cards: 6/0
Transfermarkt worth: 7m

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
My initial reaction was no,but thinking about it,it seems he has a good attitude,and if he can improve under our team he could be worth a look.
Pretty sure we wouldn't look seriously at him unless we see something.
Not too fussed about the response from Norwich fans as the coaching,training etc all comes into play.
In the end,if we want him,and he comes I'm fine with it.

CymruRed

Ad-free Member
Dont know enough about him, but looking at the Norwich forum they don't seem to rate him highly and are surprised he is linked with us.

Here are some comments made by their supporters:

As an aside, whilst Lewis would no doubt be an excellent player for us in the Championship, I don't think he's of the quality Liverpool would require for him to play regular games if Robertson gets injured. £10m seems a bit cheap, but £15m wouldn't be a bad deal

and

it does seem odd, but we do seem to think this about Jamal...though that does seem slightly out of kilter if Liverpool, the new PL Champions, think he’s good enough for them (even if only as back up).

and

Out of all our young players I think he's the most limited. Great athlete and very tidy on the ball, but frankly a bang average defender with little attacking instinct. £10m does sound crazy cheap though.

Seems a bit odd that the supporters don't rate him that highly,yet they want more money for him???

As far as i'm concerned,he ticks a lot of boxes for what we need potentially as a back up LB,young,athletic,left footed,prem experienced,N.I International,likes to go forward,can cross and can be taught to improve his game by Klopp and our coaches.

Having a quick look at his stats,2018/19 season he was championship player of the month twice and voted best LB in the division by being voted in the championship team of the year,which isn't too bad for a 20 year old (looking at him and Robbo's stats at the same age,there isn't a huge difference 2 goals 5 assists in 42games,Jamal Lewis had 0 goals 4 assists in 42 games),ok his stats aren't brilliant for this past Premiership season but then you need to take into account Norwich's style of play and defensive unit/team he was playing in.

It would also be interesting to see what Hull supporters said about Robertson when we were going to buy him for £8mill (£4mill if you take Kevin Stewart going in the opposite direction).

EDIT: Hull have hardly any forums to check (and they were piss poor) i did manage to find this forum message by a Hull fan when they bought Robbo from Dundee,that made me laugh " What a cracking player he is! We robbed you at 2.85 million. Just thought you might like to know that he is doing great in the prem at Hull City." little did he know,he who lasts first and all that. lol

Last edited:

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member

Moreno with some sort of a brain isnt exactly the worse we could do for backup.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
One point though, the cynic in me says we are spending the Lovren money, so this summer is 100% sell to buy.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Moreno with some sort of a brain isnt exactly the worse we could do for backup.
Hard pass on anyone resembling Moreno for me, don't want to watch that shite again. To be fair Lewis is a much better 1v1 defender so I'm not making that comparison, only with his attacking game.

Personally I don't see much value in just adding a solid backup option at left back, it's not something that will realistically make much difference to our season. At 10 million it's just about fine, but if the fee starts approaching 15-20 then you'd have to wonder why we aren't putting that money to better use in the current financial climate.

Status
Not open for further replies.