• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Jamal Lewis (LB) Norwich City

Obligatory lean poll

• Random desk, signing a random piece of paper, wearing a top Twitter fumes about

• Leaning against the Wall of Champions, pointing to 19, waggling his eyebrows

• The substitute's bench, where he'll be spending 99% of his time

• A railing at Melwood

• On a video conference from his home, unboxing a Nike top they sent him for free anyways

• From underneath a pile of masks

• Andy Robertson's house, where he ran to just to prove a point

• A growing pile of FSG out signs from lads wanting marquee signings

• Hope's private holiday chalet in the Alps

• Delia Smith's wine cellar

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Well, it's a shame, I like Lewis and I think he'd have carved out a good career for himself at Liverpool but I love the message this sends to clubs that Liverpool deal with - club won't budge because they always have options.

lightdrizzle

TIA Reserve Team
Well, it's a shame, I like Lewis and I think he'd have carved out a good career for himself at Liverpool but I love the message this sends to clubs that Liverpool deal with - club won't budge because they always have options.
Very true, always have another option, eggs in one basket scenario.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Wouldn't be surprised if that was the original plan anyway - Norwich were never going to accept 8 million for Lewis. Their chairman literally said they won't accept anything less than £20 million for their best young players (Lewis, Cantwell, Godfrey, Aarons)

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Wouldn't be surprised if that was the original plan anyway - Norwich were never going to accept 8 million for Lewis. Their chairman literally said they won't accept anything less than £20 million for their best young players (Lewis, Cantwell, Godfrey, Aarons)
Haha, I've just posted something similar in Tsimikas thread - it certainly looks like that now. I imagine the interest in Tsimikas was high, Wolves and Napoli were strongly linked.

As for Lewis and other Norwich youngsters, I imagine they won't fall off that easily. Over the next two summer windows, majority of them will be playing for PL-level clubs, I'm sure of that.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Haha, I've just posted something similar in Tsimikas thread - it certainly looks like that now. I imagine the interest in Tsimikas was high, Wolves and Napoli were strongly linked.

As for Lewis and other Norwich youngsters, I imagine they won't fall off that easily. Over the next two summer windows, majority of them will be playing for PL-level clubs, I'm sure of that.
Perhaps, though not at the level we want to be at.

Teams like Southampton and Brighton would be good moves for them.

Danny_

I feel kinda bad for the Jamal Lewis kid. Could have learnt so much from Klopp, Milner, Henderson, Robertson.
Agreed. Despite what people might say, there is not much difference (if any) between him and the guy from Olympiakos. They are both good young prospects. Now, Norwich will have an angry player on their hands and I don't know if they get much more than 10m for him from anyone else. Are any of the other top teams looking for a LB right now?

Joe Gomez x

Think it’s a win for all sides bar Jamal Lewis. Norwich fair enough valued him at 20m and didn’t get it so they stood their ground which you have to admire. Liverpool have their other option for cheaper so that’s our win. Only slight worry for Norwich is that Lewis will start acting up forcing Norwich to sell for less than 20m. But see him going Leicester anyways if Chilwell goes

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
I feel kinda bad for the Jamal Lewis kid. Could have learnt so much from Klopp, Milner, Henderson, Robertson.
Its probably fucked his head up a bit id imagine. Within grasp of joining the league and european champions then the next day back to the prospect of championship football for at least a year. Hes been fucked over a bit by norwich if no one pays the 20 million they want for him. Could really hold back his career

Danny_

Think it’s a win for all sides bar Jamal Lewis. Norwich fair enough valued him at 20m and didn’t get it so they stood their ground which you have to admire. Liverpool have their other option for cheaper so that’s our win. Only slight worry for Norwich is that Lewis will start acting up forcing Norwich to sell for less than 20m. But see him going Leicester anyways if Chilwell goes
I might be wrong but I don't see Leicester paying more than 15m at best, if even that. It depends whether they have competition for his signature or not and who the competition is. If they wanted 15m for him, they should have just come back with that instead of a stupid counter.

iftikhar

Very unfortunate and unfair. After all, it was about him. Hope he can rise from the debacle.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Based on our amazing ability to find talent any other team should be paying his value and knowing they are getting a player.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Based on our amazing ability to find talent any other team should be paying his value and knowing they are getting a player.
It's not only the ability to spot a talent, but also to know exactly what you will do with him, and how you will develop him further. That's where the bald cheater and many others fall flat on their noses. The talent is there, they pay gazillions for it, but then they don't know what to do with it.

That's why Klopp (Pep, Krawietz etc. ) and Edwards are pure gold for us.

nikz200

Agreed. Despite what people might say, there is not much difference (if any) between him and the guy from Olympiakos. They are both good young prospects. Now, Norwich will have an angry player on their hands and I don't know if they get much more than 10m for him from anyone else. Are any of the other top teams looking for a LB right now?
Man City, Leicester once Chilwell is sold, Tottenham and maybe Chelsea if they feel they can’t get chillwell?

I think Jamal looks a talent , maybe the chance to have a better long term career than Tsimikas, but for right now as a back up role for this squad? I would argue Tsimikas is the smart play. Of course i wouldn’t mind having either player but not both of them given Robertson is the nailed on starter.That being said, Tsimikas has European experience and played for the champions of Greece.

Jamal for the price they want us to pay right now is a unknown in Europe, in England he was good and in the prem he was decent, but with only one season under his belt and the fact Norwich have him on a long term contract which makes it hard for him to force his way out of there, the stars didn’t align for the guy that’s all it is. I think there will be a club that will meet the valuation for Jamal, but it will be a club desperate for a left back.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
You can't blame Norwich for putting a price on their player. And the player is contracted to them, and they dont have to sell him.
If Barca offered £50m for Robbo we would be laughing at them and looking for £100m.....
And expecting Robbo to knuckle down and play if we didnt sell.
Fair play to Norwich, Lewis will get a move one way or other if he is good enough.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
Man City, Leicester once Chilwell is sold, Tottenham and maybe Chelsea if they feel they can’t get chillwell?

I think Jamal looks a talent , maybe the chance to have a better long term career than Tsimikas, but for right now as a back up role for this squad? I would argue Tsimikas is the smart play. Of course i wouldn’t mind having either player but not both of them given Robertson is the nailed on starter.That being said, Tsimikas has European experience and played for the champions of Greece.

Jamal for the price they want us to pay right now is a unknown in Europe, in England he was good and in the prem he was decent, but with only one season under his belt and the fact Norwich have him on a long term contract which makes it hard for him to force his way out of there, the stars didn’t align for the guy that’s all it is. I think there will be a club that will meet the valuation for Jamal, but it will be a club desperate for a left back.
Norwich are right to hold out for 20m or more. Man City will pay much more and seemingly need new fullbacks every other year.

nikz200

Norwich are right to hold out for 20m or more. Man City will pay much more and seemingly need new fullbacks every other year.
i didn’t say they are wrong , but for them its going to be interesting to see who comes in for Jamal now that we have pulled out. I don’t think either team is wrong here btw. From Liverpools standpoint it was not a deal to be made and from Norwich standpoint they wanted 20 mil (or whatever the price was) and wouldn’t budge. We are not wrong for going after Tsimikas after deciding it would be more financially sound to do so.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
There's quite a big difference IMO.

Tsimikas has real quality on the ball and has displayed his attacking quality against the likes of Bayern, Arsenal, Wolves.

Lewis doesn't cross or pass the ball well in attacking areas.

For Norwich and Norwich u23s Lewis has 4 goals and 4 assists in 125 games.

Tsimikas has 7 assists this season alone.

They're just the top line stats but the difference is very evident when you watch them both play. We're buying the one who is better at football.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.

Reguilon was apparently on our list too, and I said on here Digne is one of the only players in the Premier League capable of replicating Robertson to a decent level.

It's not a given that Lewis would have improved his crossing ability, Moreno and Clyne couldn't. As it stands he's leagues behind Robertson and Tsimikas.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team

Reguilon was apparently on our list too, and I said on here Digne is one of the only players in the Premier League capable of replicating Robertson to a decent level.

It's not a given that Lewis would have improved his crossing ability, Moreno and Clyne couldn't. As it stands he's leagues behind Robertson and Tsimikas.
TAA is not even there. It proves that he is a poor crosser. ;)

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member

Is Luke Shaw an honourable mention?

jackh1092

i didn’t say they are wrong , but for them its going to be interesting to see who comes in for Jamal now that we have pulled out. I don’t think either team is wrong here btw. From Liverpools standpoint it was not a deal to be made and from Norwich standpoint they wanted 20 mil (or whatever the price was) and wouldn’t budge. We are not wrong for going after Tsimikas after deciding it would be more financially sound to do so.
It's not set in stone that Norwich were holding out for 20m +. It may be reported that they were, but i'd say it's highly possible LFC valued him at the price they offered, and once they were going up to the 15m bracket Tsimikos was considered bettered value.

With Lewis there were positives, and a great upside, but Tsimikos is probably a more developed player already.

Status
Not open for further replies.