• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Jamal Lewis (LB) Norwich City

Obligatory lean poll

• Random desk, signing a random piece of paper, wearing a top Twitter fumes about

• Leaning against the Wall of Champions, pointing to 19, waggling his eyebrows

• The substitute's bench, where he'll be spending 99% of his time

• A railing at Melwood

• On a video conference from his home, unboxing a Nike top they sent him for free anyways

• From underneath a pile of masks

• Andy Robertson's house, where he ran to just to prove a point

• A growing pile of FSG out signs from lads wanting marquee signings

• Hope's private holiday chalet in the Alps

• Delia Smith's wine cellar

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryBarlow99

Kelly seems to have played LB a lot more than CB according to Transfermarkt. I know it's never a good idea to use YouTube compilations but the ones available show him looking decent at LB for Bristol.

Noo Noo

Sounds a bit bizarre that the player you buy as cover costs more than your mainstay does.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
So, I watched a replay of Norwich vs Brighton yesterday, because why not..

First impression: quick, calm, eager to overlap, decent passer in tight spaces, pretty good close control, can dribble/advance the ball with both feet.

He played high up for big parts of the game. Took up similar positions to Robertson in the build-up, and they played through him quite a bit. Had a lot of involvements and touches, more so than what will be the case if he plays for Liverpool, I guess.

A few times he tried taking on his opponent 1v1 (from a standstill) to get to the byline, which is rarely a good idea for a full back. But it looked like it's something he perhaps could be capable of doing. Doesn't really matter, but I thought it was mildly interesting.

Attempted three crosses, I believe: one very good in between goalie and defence, and two average where I thought crossing was the wrong decision.

Not an eye-catching performance by any means, but looked all right. Pretty good fundamentals. Get him in, give him the Robertson treatment and see what comes out the other side.

kpt

Liverpool will have to pay at least £20 million if the Premier League champions hope to land Norwich City defender Jamal Lewis - Norwich under no pressure to sell (@Matt_Law_DT)

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Kelly seems to have played LB a lot more than CB according to Transfermarkt. I know it's never a good idea to use YouTube compilations but the ones available show him looking decent at LB for Bristol.

We wanted Kelly last summer but he chose Bournemouth. Spent almost the entire season injured. Can't see us going back in for him.

If it's £10 million then Lewis is decent value as a back up and we badly need a back up. He's OK from what I've seen. Not a worldbeater but then neither was Robertson when he came. He's played in a team that like to play it out from the back and has got decent pace. I always look forward to seeing what JK can do with a player. All the reliables are reporting this one so it's obviously happening assuming the fee can be agreed.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
News that Liverpool is trying to send Larouci the other way in order to press the price down and it seems Norwich was interested in Larouci. So there might be something in this. Lets see.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
News that Liverpool is trying to send Larouci the other way in order to press the price down and it seems Norwich was interested in Larouci. So there might be something in this. Lets see.
News from where? All I have seen is some of our fans suggest it.

Also, whether Larouci goes the other way or not, it doesn't really change the price we pay unless Norwich significantly over value him.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member

Also, whether Larouci goes the other way or not, it doesn't really change the price we pay unless Norwich significantly over value him.
Read it on Skysports. https://www.skysports.com/football/...nterested-in-signing-jamal-lewis-from-norwich

Well we wanted to pay $10mil, they wanted more, so we will probably use Larouci to fill that difference in valuation in part and still pay around 10mil. Larouci has been on the market since June I believe so I think we will let him go the other way, provided Norwich is really interested and Larouci is willing to.

roydom

TIA Reserve Team
Out of interest, have we have a Northern Irish player in the first team before? I'm sure we must have but I can't think of one off hand.

RedSeven

On the one road

Being mentioned on sky

Could be the explanation as to why we released a story of 4 targets etc that a few of us were confused over.
Looking to push things along but at a reasonable fee for us.Weather it makes a difference or not will probably end up depending on the player to push for the move.

Lloyd Kelly,Kostas Tsimikas and Ben White were the other 3

"It seems that Bournemouth‘s Lloyd Kelly is also in consideration, while Maddock mentions Brighton’s Ben White but he is a centre-back".

Last edited:

Zoran

So, I watched a replay of Norwich vs Brighton yesterday, because why not..

First impression: quick, calm, eager to overlap, decent passer in tight spaces, pretty good close control, can dribble/advance the ball with both feet.

He played high up for big parts of the game. Took up similar positions to Robertson in the build-up, and they played through him quite a bit. Had a lot of involvements and touches, more so than what will be the case if he plays for Liverpool, I guess.

A few times he tried taking on his opponent 1v1 (from a standstill) to get to the byline, which is rarely a good idea for a full back. But it looked like it's something he perhaps could be capable of doing. Doesn't really matter, but I thought it was mildly interesting.

Attempted three crosses, I believe: one very good in between goalie and defence, and two average where I thought crossing was the wrong decision.

Not an eye-catching performance by any means, but looked all right. Pretty good fundamentals. Get him in, give him the Robertson treatment and see what comes out the other side.
Jeez, leave that alone and come join me here where it's sea, sex and sun! :LOL:

Nice, that's the post I was looking for. I was wondering does he have a better (or more rounded) technical base than Robbo. Exactly those little things, managing in small spaces, manipulating the ball, dribbling, finding cute little passes, etc. Robbo is more basic, predictable, but does what he does so consistently well during 90 minutes.

Big question remains how well can he defend here.

I have a few more, if someone who knows can answer.

Is he first choice for N. Ireland? Does he have a secondary position in his locker? Although that would maybe be too much to ask!

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Out of interest, have we have a Northern Irish player in the first team before? I'm sure we must have but I can't think of one off hand.
One good thing would be that he would not need to be playing week in week out to get into his National side. Most ambitious internationals need to be at a club they play regularly at to stand a chance of being picked for their countries. But (without meaning to be disrespectful to Northern Ireland) playing somewhere between 15-25 games per season in all comps for a team like Liverpool should be enough for him to continue being a starter there.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Sure, but if Larouci is worth that then it is the same as paying cash. It doesn't make the deal any cheaper for us.
In my mind, they'd be happier with £10m plus a ready-made replacement versus £15m plus having to find a decent replacement for that amount, or at least make them happier to come down from their £20m valuation.

Zoran

Wait..... did you just invite him to sex? Is it coz he has wood in his name? Scandinavians do make damn sexy people in all fairness.
Nah, it's Serge Gainsbourg's song.

Just imagined him watching Norwich v Brighton during summer and felt a bit sad for him. :LOL:

Though I hate when we have to wait for a new season, so I also watch random football stuff. I get excited even seeing the first pics from our first training session.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Being mentioned on sky

Looking to push things along but at a reasonable fee for us.Weather it makes a difference or not will probably end up depending on the player to push for the move.

Lloyd Kelly,Kostas Tsimikas and Ben White were the other 3

"It seems that Bournemouth‘s Lloyd Kelly is also in consideration, while Maddock mentions Brighton’s Ben White but he is a centre-back".
I'd love Ben White signed as a CB, he looks impressive for Leeds, would cost a bit mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.