• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Jamal Lewis (LB) Norwich City

Obligatory lean poll

• Random desk, signing a random piece of paper, wearing a top Twitter fumes about

• Leaning against the Wall of Champions, pointing to 19, waggling his eyebrows

• The substitute's bench, where he'll be spending 99% of his time

• A railing at Melwood

• On a video conference from his home, unboxing a Nike top they sent him for free anyways

• From underneath a pile of masks

• Andy Robertson's house, where he ran to just to prove a point

• A growing pile of FSG out signs from lads wanting marquee signings

• Hope's private holiday chalet in the Alps

• Delia Smith's wine cellar

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
In my mind, they'd be happier with £10m plus a ready-made replacement versus £15m plus having to find a decent replacement for that amount, or at least make them happier to come down from their £20m valuation.
Yes quite possibly makes a difference on their end. Not really from ours.

Limiescouse

I'm fine with the idea of us playing a left footer there, what I find amusing is the idea that some have that any left footer will provide a similar threat to Robertson. Not saying you, necessarily.

If we want them to provide width, they should also be able to cross. Maybe I'm just being harsh or getting it wrong but I don't think I've seen Lewis cross a ball well once. Perhaps that's due to Norwich's style of play, I don't know. If he is just a mediocre crosser of the ball I'd prefer us to stick with what we have, being left footed isn't enough of a reason to splash some cash. For years we had Clyne and Moreno providing plenty of width but they were shite with the ball and very seldom a threat to the opposition. Not a big fan of going back to that.

The Greek lad Tsimikas is apparently on our short list, and reports say available for 7 million. I know nothing about him but his youtube comp would suggest he is a good crosser of the ball.
There became a strain of thought on here that while he was not a good defender Moreno at least was good going forward, and maybe we'd do well to play him front of another LB. It drove me crazy because he simply wasnt very good with the ball either. He was an athlete and got forward eagerly, but was not capable of doing anything productive when he did. Robbo is not effective just because he gets up and down well. There are literally thousands of players who can match that. Robbo is great because when you give him the ball under pretty much any situation he is able to take care of it. When a player is open, he is able to find him. If there is dangerous space to hit, he will see and then hit it. That cross for Salah's header against City (the goal of last season IMO) is something that Moreno would not have made if he had all season. I would expect to Robbo to nail it again the next time he gets the opportunity.

We dont know if this rumour has any legs, but we can be pretty confident he has at least been on our radar. There have just been too many stories for too long for it to not be true. That would suggest that there are stats that support his potential. The fact his crossing stats for Norwich are shit I think reflect far more the limitation of the Opta stats we all have available compared to the sort of analysis these laptop lads do. I would expect they are very heavily normalized to account for Norwich's different way of playing and general shitness. I'm also taking the confusion fom the Norwich fans with a massive pinch of salt. Many Southampton fans were questioning our interest in Mane at the time and suggesting he didnt have a great attitude. The reality is that 1) most fans have no idea what they're seeing, 2) the best targets for us are not those who are playing the best for their current club, as the things they do well might not be clearly realized for a different club who have different strengths and requirements.

So, jury is totally out for me. If we get then I'll back it. But I prefer the greek lad, but then Ive said that often enough the last 15 years that I think I might just have a thing for Greek men.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Nah, it's Serge Gainsbourg's song.

Just imagined him watching Norwich v Brighton during summer and felt a bit sad for him. :LOL:

Though I hate when we have to wait for a new season, so I also watch random football stuff. I get excited even seeing the first pics from our first training session.
Hey don't have to explain to me I was just jealous. After coronavirus cancelled our wedding holiday this year I'm missing sun and sea so much I'd almost be willing to put out as payment. The wife to be would probably kill me though :ROFLMAO:

Limiescouse

I disagree. It is very much a case by case example and i am sure that there are examples of good attacking full backs who could play equally well at CB. Steve Nicol comes immediately to mind, and Alaba at Bayern for example.
Emlyn Hughes. He was a CB, but Shanks played him at LB because he boundless energy and it felt a waste to keep him moored to a position

iftikhar

£20 million is playing hardball with us and that's not going to work. I'm okay with £10 million plus some performances related add-ons or £10 million plus that Academy player.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
£20 million is playing hardball with us and that's not going to work. I'm okay with £10 million plus some performances related add-ons or £10 million plus that Academy player.
Probably end up being a bit of both. £10m base fee, 2/3 million in variables that may or may not be hit, percentage of any sell on profit and Larouci (who only has 12 months left on contract doesn't he?). That would probably be considered a good deal for everyone. But Edwards will probably get that first £10m down to about £7/8m and the built in Larouci fee at £10m on paper with no add ons. That way Norwich could present it as a deal worth £18m even though in reality nobody would be paying us £10m for Larouci this summer unless its built into this kind of a deal.

iftikhar

Don't mind as long as it's not straight cash. Also, I would prefer a sell-on clause for Larouci.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
Jeez, leave that alone and come join me here where it's sea, sex and sun! :LOL:

Nice, that's the post I was looking for. I was wondering does he have a better (or more rounded) technical base than Robbo. Exactly those little things, managing in small spaces, manipulating the ball, dribbling, finding cute little passes, etc. Robbo is more basic, predictable, but does what he does so consistently well during 90 minutes.

Big question remains how well can he defend here.

I have a few more, if someone who knows can answer.

Is he first choice for N. Ireland? Does he have a secondary position in his locker? Although that would maybe be too much to ask!
Haha, excellent. But what is this sex you speak about? Sounds foreign and not very God-fearing.

Defensively I don't know. Looked a bit passive in a few 1v1 situations, but I'm not worried about that. If he can focus, listen and learn he'll be fine.

Scouser268

TIA Youth Team
I watched Norwich a few times this season and he stood out. He would fit into what we need and what we want. Huge potential.

rab

The cash inflow will be tight this season.
But if we sell Larouchi and use that money to buy Lewis how is that any different to including him in the deal?

In fact, it makes it easier to conduct it as two separate deals and if we had other buyers out there, we might get more money from them than Norwich consider his value to be.

iftikhar

But if we sell Larouchi and use that money to buy Lewis how is that any different to including him in the deal?

In fact, it makes it easier to conduct it as two separate deals and if we had other buyers out there, we might get more money from them than Norwich consider his value to be.
No it's not that different then. Just want to keep our existing cash flow intact.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member

I'm not sure Larouci actually has that much interest. We can almost force Norwich into putting a price on him that they may not have normally entertained.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
The Athletic saying Edwards is only prepared to offer 8 million up front with 2 in add ons. Norwich want 20. Also saying Larouci is unlikely to be used as a makeweight as they already have a 19 year old left back on their books that they signed for 2.5 million in Jan.

Say the club have other alternatives but only name Tsimikas, who we already knew about.

Limiescouse

The Athletic saying Edwards is only prepared to offer 8 million up front with 2 in add ons. Norwich want 20. Also saying Larouci is unlikely to be used as a makeweight as they already have a 19 year old left back on their books that they signed for 2.5 million in Jan.

Say the club have other alternatives but only name Tsimikas, who we already knew about.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
The average Greek footballer's mentality stinks to high heaven. Their work ethic is lacking, to say the least, and their actual ability also leaves a lot to be desired. One exception was Arsenal's Socratis who is one of the better players to have come out of Greece in the last decade. Yet he's been an abject failure in England. Tsimikas may be different but he's playing in one of the most corrupt leagues in Europe for its most corrupt club. Judging him by what he does in the domestic league should be taken with a pinch of salt. He has played well in Europe but it's a very small sample of games to draw conclusions from.

I'd be extremely wary with us signing Greek players, especially if they're coming from the Greek league.

Status
Not open for further replies.