• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Jamal Lewis (LB) Norwich City

Obligatory lean poll

• Random desk, signing a random piece of paper, wearing a top Twitter fumes about

• Leaning against the Wall of Champions, pointing to 19, waggling his eyebrows

• The substitute's bench, where he'll be spending 99% of his time

• A railing at Melwood

• On a video conference from his home, unboxing a Nike top they sent him for free anyways

• From underneath a pile of masks

• Andy Robertson's house, where he ran to just to prove a point

• A growing pile of FSG out signs from lads wanting marquee signings

• Hope's private holiday chalet in the Alps

• Delia Smith's wine cellar

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
The post you have quoted answers your question
No, it only speculates as to the answer. They could call Liverpool sources for confirmation, certainly, but that doesn't mean that the original leak didn't come from Lewis's agents.

therealkeano1

TIA Reserve Team
When was the last time Liverpool signed a player from the EPL. I’m thinking Robbo???

The league and market are the reason the bid has been leaked it’s a lot harder to hide transfer dealing in England especially when Liverpool are involved.
We sign one every year. Last season Elliott, season before saq etc

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Presumably Edwards is now preparing to go back in with a bid for £8m.
As well he should. £8m is about what the player is worth anyway, IMO. And after that bid is rejected Norwich can keep their player and have a great year in Championship and we can then look elsewhere for a backup LB project.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
No, it only speculates as to the answer. They could call Liverpool sources for confirmation, certainly, but that doesn't mean that the original leak didn't come from Lewis's agents.
Sure, and as he said in the final line of the post - it's unlikely Reddy would risk printing something which the club didnt want putting out there.

iftikhar

Yeah, quite clearly a co-ordinated effort from Liverpool based journos, surprised anyone thinks otherwise tbh. The likes of Reddy, Joyce, Maddock, Basecombe, Pearce aren't going to be getting information off Lewis' agents or people at Norwich and releasing the details without speaking to whatever contacts are at our club.

We are using the media to unsettle a player and try to get him to force a move. Think we've complained about that once or twice when it's happened to us.
Would really hate if that's the case.

Also, very perplexed about the fuss with this Jamal kid.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
no one knows that and if the attitude is good he'll get games. Plus I dont see Robertson having a little healthy competition for a starting spot as a bad thing. I think it would be good for him to be pushed and ensure that complacency doesn't set in.

I mean soon as Moreno lost his place it became pretty clear that he didn't have the stomach, or the ability to really push to get it back. In fact he played his best games when Robertson was clearly breathing down his neck.
Andy Robertson is 26, and barring something awful, will be in the side for quite a few years. Lewis is not going to be a starter in that time. He isn’t good enough to take the shirt off Andy.

If Lewis accepts he will initially be backing up Robbo then that’s grand, but when his patience runs out he’s going to have to move on. That’s absolutely fine, by the way. Maybe that’s the model we have to follow. Get one in, keep them for a couple of seasons and then let them go and get another one.

Lynch04

Smeg Head
Talking about Moreno, what happened to Ellesar?? Did he transfer at the same time?

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Watching Wolves vs Olympiakos here and I'm wondering why we'd go for Lewis over Tsimikas.

Sure, he's a lazy Greek, but other than that?

The lad can play football.
A lot of people on twitter agreeing with you that the greek lad is good. Olympiakos probably wanting a bigger fee than we want to pay? Makes me wonder whether the Lewis bid and publicity is a smokescreen to help drive the price down, by submitting an offer we know they wont accept. if it doesnt, then maybe we walk away with Lewis for a reasonable fee.

GaryBarlow99

A lot of people on twitter agreeing with you that the greek lad is good. Olympiakos probably wanting a bigger fee than we want to pay? Makes me wonder whether the Lewis bid and publicity is a smokescreen to help drive the price down, by submitting an offer we know they wont accept. if it doesnt, then maybe we walk away with Lewis for a reasonable fee.
Not sure on the exact fee but a deal was almost done for him to move to Nice. Was around £8m I think.

richieh10

Get the lad in. 99% of signings won’t be first team
Starters and they’ll have to cope with that.

We need LB cover and if Klopp and co have identified this lad as somebody who fits our style of play then I’m happy

JMac8

Watching Wolves vs Olympiakos here and I'm wondering why we'd go for Lewis over Tsimikas.

Sure, he's a lazy Greek, but other than that?

The lad can play football.
Maybe because we’ve got a scouting team on big salaries doing research everyday, rather than just making a decision based on who’s on the tele tonight

JMac8

It’s possible that we’ve agreed a fee of 12–15m and the bid is a charade. Press leaks and bid coordinated with Norwich to help them save face with their fans. Edwards remains the saint we all thought he was

Limiescouse

If it was designed to make Tsimakis down tool to force a move, how would Olympiakos be able to tell the difference?

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
If it was designed to make Tsimakis down tool to force a move, how would Olympiakos be able to tell the difference?
I think he is already set to leave, its only a question to where. If we are the best chance Olympiakos have of getting a better price on a sale, us lowballing Norwich may nudge Olympiakos into lowering their asking price.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
I heard that a new bid will be accepted in by Sunday with this new structure that will bring Lewis price to 20m. 10mil upfront and another 10mil will be paid when Norwich wins the Premier League. Thats fair.

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
Whoever we get, I trust the club to make the best decision. It does feel nice to say that after years of watching joe coles and andy carrolls arriving that the club. We are in the best position regarding this stuff weve been since i can remember. We're the club players want to be at and we're the club that gets this shit right every time since klopp came. All this worrying if this or that player costs x amount when this other player costs this is really unnecessary. If jamal comes he will of been the best option, if its someone else then im fully on board. Trust the club, they know what theyre doing

Noo Noo

Andy Robertson is 26, and barring something awful, will be in the side for quite a few years. Lewis is not going to be a starter in that time. He isn’t good enough to take the shirt off Andy.

If Lewis accepts he will initially be backing up Robbo then that’s grand, but when his patience runs out he’s going to have to move on. That’s absolutely fine, by the way. Maybe that’s the model we have to follow. Get one in, keep them for a couple of seasons and then let them go and get another one.
Quite likely I agree but just to be 100% clear we're not looking at him as the final product. We would certainly want him to develop and with that I hope it does put a little pressure on Robertson.

That's if it happens of course.

JMac8

Whoever we get, I trust the club to make the best decision. It does feel nice to say that after years of watching joe coles and andy carrolls arriving that the club. We are in the best position regarding this stuff weve been since i can remember. We're the club players want to be at and we're the club that gets this shit right every time since klopp came. All this worrying if this or that player costs x amount when this other player costs this is really unnecessary. If jamal comes he will of been the best option, if its someone else then im fully on board. Trust the club, they know what theyre doing
When Stevie G was wheeled out to convince us that J Cole was better than Messi. The dog days are over!

costared

TIA Reserve Team
A lot of competition for LB`s this year. I suspect more teams are trying to replicate the LFC version of attacking full backs. Problem with this is it pushes the price up.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Let him stay there until January.

Only three and a half months until the window opens after PL start.

His price will drop to £4m.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Taking the reports at face value (and trying to ignore any obvious or more subtle ulterior motives for the information leaking) then we have 4 targets for solving this issue. We, as a recruitment team, put valuations on players but we've seen in the past sometimes we've been unwilling to "overpay" on our primary target even if that then means buying a more expensive "secondary" target as that guys valuation may be higher. With that in mind I see it as quite possible we value Lewis at £10m and if we can't compete the deal for that we go for one of the other 4 at 12m or 15m instead of going back in for Lewis at a higher price. This is how we shook the reputation of being a soft touch that overpays on transfers that we used to have. So even if Norwich would cave in to a 15m price and we might be willing to pay up to 15m for a player we might not be willing to make that deal still. Tsimikas was the other one of the 4 mentioned at it seems he may be available at 15m but unclear if that is £ or €.

Status
Not open for further replies.