• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Jean Michael Seri (CM) OGC Nice

Status
Not open for further replies.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
C'mon, I know this summer has really been frustrating. The Coutinho thing made me want to cry on the first shoulder I could see.

But! Let's not get all doomsday predictions on us.

If we do sign him, it silences all those "oh! Were being too stubborn why aren't we signing alternatives" comments.
Frustrating is an understatement. From the crazy hope and promise of May, to the deflatement of seeing us shit the bed against a lower half side on opening day with the same old problems that have plagued us for ages, and everything that's happened in between. The more things change, the more they stay the same. As to this lad, all smacks a bit of...

April: "We need a Ferrari!!!"
May: "We're getting a Ferrari!!"
June: "There's no Ferrari yet, but the shops don't close for ages!"
July: "Erm, still nothing, but... hey, just picking out the right colour!
August: "We're not getting a Ferrari. We might get a 1987 Fiat Ritmo, though. Apparently doesn't start when it gets a bit cold. Oh, and the house has just been burgled. Again."

TFC

TIA Squad Member
I kinda doubt it. The position Coutinho played for us last season has already been replaced by Salah. I think its more of just wanting a little more depth than an alternative or replacement for anyone.

Edit: This was in response to Kopstars post about him being a replacement for Coutinho

SupaLFC96

He has a release clause, pay it and get him in. We need another out and out attacker if Coutinho goes, matter of fact, even if he doesn't. I'm done with Coutinho. I don't think losing him will be detrimental. What is, is not being able to defend a set piece or a lead

Mapski

Those who are thinking that Seri is a Keita alternative...perhaps he's a Coutinho replacement instead?
I can see him coming without Coutinho going, as an alternative to Coutinho within the squad (not necessarily a Keita substitute signing). Coutinho may refuse to play or play without passion, and for that we'd be better prepared;

Edit: And well, there's always the injury plague in anfield.

20ATHLONE

I like that the look of him (in YouTube vids), seems to move the ball well and quickly. Other than that I'll rely on our scouts :shocked:

Limiescouse

Those who are thinking that Seri is a Keita alternative...perhaps he's a Coutinho replacement instead?
Possibly, but he is not a forward and will not play in the forward line, so the point holds - can we perceive of having him and Keita int he same midfield in a years time? Assuming the answer is no, does this rule him out for next summer?

Happyfan

I kinda doubt it. The position Coutinho played for us last season has already been replaced by Salah. I think its more of just wanting a little more depth than an alternative or replacement for anyone.

Edit: This was in response to Kopstars post about him being a replacement for Coutinho
I don't think so. I think he's there to replace Coutinho. It's widely reported that Klopp intended a more central position for Coutinho this season. A xavi role.

Kopstar

★★★★★★

Doesn't Seri play in a very similar position to that which Coutinho was being earmarked to play for us this season though? More of a #7 or #8 sort of role?

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Possibly, but he is not a forward and will not play in the forward line, so the point holds - can we perceive of having him and Keita int he same midfield in a years time? Assuming the answer is no, does this rule him out for next summer?
tbh, I always felt that had we signed Keita it would have made it more palatable to sell Coutinho so it's effectively a similar point - if Seri is an equivalent/alternative to Keita his recruitment could pave the way for Coutinho's departure. Do we go back in for Keita as well in a year's time? At his release clause €55m I think we would but that would be a lot of short nippy guys in the midfield, I'd be surprised if they were played together as opposed to providing cover/depth/rotation for one another.

Krimson

• #6 •
So thanks to this I've gone from "who is Seri?" to thinking he's the shit and can pass and spray a ball around the pitch like Alonso.

Can actually see why Klopp would see in a player like him though. Receives the ball from deep, turns and sparks the counter attack. Noticed he seems to be on all set pieces too. Pens/freekicks/corners.

His passing range really is ridiculous though. Looks a lot more like a Keita alternative to a Coutinho replacement.

No Men in the Box Redux

Keyboard Warrior
It's a sad state of affairs when I see a link like this, I'm torn between thinking "Off we go, settling for lesser players linked with the likes of Swansea" and "doesn't matter anyways, we'll find a way to fuck it up even if it is true."

This summer has depressed the fuck out of me, the last month especially. All hope is gone. Signing this lad might be a bright spark. But even if we do, he'll probably turn out to be shite for us, or be brilliant for two games before suffering a season ending injury.
Alright mate, let it out. Let it out and then go for a 20 minute run every day to get you through August.

As for Seri, sounds very likely to be the Keita alternative. I haven't seen much of him but as far as all the stats, testiomnials and FIFA 17 ratings :tongue: are concerned all of his attributes and positioning and match contributions mirror that of Keita. Think at Keita's age, 22, and coming from a tougher league and better team, the upside to Keita is clearly higher. But still, Seri has just come off of a season where he was voted as part of the Ligue 1 Team of the Year so that isn't nothing. Might mean we've given up on Keita completely though.

Samwise the Brave

tbh, I always felt that had we signed Keita it would have made it more palatable to sell Coutinho so it's effectively a similar point - if Seri is an equivalent/alternative to Keita his recruitment could pave the way for Coutinho's departure. Do we go back in for Keita as well in a year's time? At his release clause €55m I think we would but that would be a lot of short nippy guys in the midfield, I'd be surprised if they were played together as opposed to providing cover/depth/rotation for one another.
Yeah I don't see Coutinho and him playing together in the same midfield but Coutinho can always play LW. If we get Keita they can rotate with each other.

Then again I never saw Coutinho and Lallana playing together until I think the Bayern game so you never know.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
Anyone think our scouts have the easiest job imaginable? Naby Keita was in the team of the season in the Bundesliga and he's alternative is Jean-Michael Seri who also was in the Team of the season in Ligue 1. How did they find those players I wonder?

AllYouNeedIsKlopp

Been a massive fan of him since the last two years. His long pass remind me of our Xabi Alonso. He's not a replacement for Coutinho, I think he will take Gini position. He got an eye for a pass, and able to quickly break opposition attack and turn it for a counter attack by some sizzling long through pass. One thing I know, Salah and Mane will definitely love his service. I really hope we can sign him. YNWA.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
It's a sad state of affairs when I see a link like this, I'm torn between thinking "Off we go, settling for lesser players linked with the likes of Swansea" and "doesn't matter anyways, we'll find a way to fuck it up even if it is true."

This summer has depressed the fuck out of me, the last month especially. All hope is gone. Signing this lad might be a bright spark. But even if we do, he'll probably turn out to be shite for us, or be brilliant for two games before suffering a season ending injury.
Mate I feel your pain. Took the day off to play Golf at a nice club today and it pissed rain down on top of us for 4 hours. Are you still moving back here? That way you can have the dull grey days to brighten that mood.
Those pesky Hobbits were all smiles before they had to take that fucking Ring to Mordor.
Anyone think our scouts have the easiest job imaginable? Naby Keita was in the team of the season in the Bundesliga and he's alternative is Jean-Michael Seri who also was in the Team of the season in Ligue 1. How did they find those players I wonder?
Yeah it must be tough alright. Kinda have to wonder if that's why this alternative took so long to identify.

Barnestormer

Left wing.

Thanks for the reply on the other one.

Dunno and care even less now I think - shock horror - but lots of peeps are saying the £200m Neymar deal has done them and they no longer interested in football; thats a little strong for me but its certainly a period of 'does not compute' - its all well fkcd up tbh.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
Doesn't Seri play in a very similar position to that which Coutinho was being earmarked to play for us this season though? More of a #7 or #8 sort of role?
Be damned if I know. His stats make him seem like it, but WhoScored labels him a DM, though the stats dont' appear to be one of a DM. I'd be lying if I tried to give an answer like I actually have any clue.

I don't think we're going to sell Coutinho; but even if we were I think our midfield would still be like last years with Salah taking up where Coutinho played last season.

Edit: Looks like 442 just posted a thing on him

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/jean-michael-seri-meet-nices-classy-playmaker-being-linked-liverpool

Some interesting excerpts

Seri is a versatile midfielder who’s dedicated, hard working, humble and always willing to learn. "I listen to criticism rather than praise, because that's the way to improve. You can't make progress if you only focus on the things you do right," he told Sportif 225 in his homeland.
His remarkable stamina and precise passing enabled him to become key to Claude Puel's plans in the 2015/16 season, when Nice surprised France and fought for Champions League qualification
In fact, the Ivorian sees keeping the ball as his main duty on the pitch. It’s hardly surprising that he completed 90% of his passes last season, while only PSG stars Thiago Motta and Marco Verratti have attempted more passes than Seri on average
Seri is so versatile that nobody really knows what his best position is. He can be a deep-lying maestro in the style of Andrea Pirlo, is frequently used as a box-to-box midfielder, and excels when positioned as a classical playmaker behind the strikers.

His passing abilities are continuing to improve and he wins his fair share of balls in defence. Seri also brags a decent shot from distance, and his free-kicks cause plenty of problems for the opposition
Seri might be lacking leadership qualities at this stage of his career. His influence tends to diminish when Nice are dominated by opponents, and he is not exactly the player to take the game on himself and shift the momentum. The Ivorian is a quiet person, and requires players who show fighting spirit and make their voice heard alongside him.
Sounds like maybe a Kieta alternative? More depth in the Wijd role? Idk....

Last edited:

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
@T.C.B I still think that we might be letting it out to the rumor mill that we are looking at another CM so Keita will force a move before the end of the month. If I remember correctly just days before we signed Salah we were also linked with another wide player, can't remember who.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
@T.C.B I still think that we might be letting it out to the rumor mill that we are looking at another CM so Keita will force a move before the end of the month. If I remember correctly just days before we signed Salah we were also linked with another wide player, can't remember who.
Hey I'm good either way mate. Obviously Klopp wants Keita so maybe he's trying to be clever and smoking them out.

richieh10

Ahhhh for fuck sake this window has taken the piss.

Come to think about it what is this Klopps 4th window and I can't remember a good one yet?!?

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Frustrating is an understatement. From the crazy hope and promise of May, to the deflatement of seeing us shit the bed against a lower half side on opening day with the same old problems that have plagued us for ages, and everything that's happened in between. The more things change, the more they stay the same. As to this lad, all smacks a bit of...

April: "We need a Ferrari!!!"
May: "We're getting a Ferrari!!"
June: "There's no Ferrari yet, but the shops don't close for ages!"
July: "Erm, still nothing, but... hey, just picking out the right colour!
August: "We're not getting a Ferrari. We might get a 1987 Fiat Ritmo, though. Apparently doesn't start when it gets a bit cold. Oh, and the house has just been burgled. Again."
Getting De ja vu here.

Last summer it was Mane who was the Fiat and Gotze the Ferrari.

Fiats don't seem to be so bad.:)

https://forums.thisisanfield.com/threads/sadio-mane-rw-southampton.20465/

6 posts in :well done: get this lad signed up!

Last edited:

YeGra

Getting De ja vu here.

Last summer it was Mane who was the Fiat and Gotze the Ferrari.

Fiat's don't seem to be so bad.:)

https://forums.thisisanfield.com/threads/sadio-mane-rw-southampton.20465/

6 posts in :well done: get this lad signed up!
And Ferrari's rather anonymous.

I will admit, if he gets chilblains rather easily when in the UK (we hardly have the same climate as southern France) this would be a stupid stupid buy. But I don't know the severity of his condition.

He might well be a Coutinho replacement or might well be a Keita alternative. Time will tell. Heck time will tell if these rumours are reliable to begin with!

Status
Not open for further replies.