• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Jen Chang leaves LFC by mutual consent

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
Liverpool's controversial communications director Jen Chang has left the club following the Twitter storm with spoof blogger 'Duncan Jenkins'.

The club were forced to apologise to Jenkins, real name Sean Cummins, for the 'inappropriate actions' of Chang, after the met in a Manchester restaurant.

A spokesman confirmed to the website 'Sporting Intelligence': 'I can confirm Jen Chang has left Liverpool football club by mutual consent and has returned to the United States for family reasons.'

Chang wrongly believed inside information used by Cummins on Twitter had been fed to him by an Anfield mole. The fan then alleged in a blog that Chang made a series of threats to him, which included revoking his shared season ticket.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2233996/Liverpools-Jen-Chang-leaves-club.html

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
All I can say is I am shocked, I don't think he deserved to lose his job. I can only imagine that there was more truth to the allegations than we like to admit.

However does not exactly inspire confidence that the owners are not trigger happy. After all he was "their man"

WrinkledMind

Living A Life Consumed By Slow Decay.
I hate to be 'that guy'.But I told you so.Got a lot of stick when I said, he will be let go of eventually with a convenient reason.

Personally I am gutted though.Looked like a very good candidate and was doing a great job.Suarez interview, the expansion of LFC on the internet etc.
One bad call and its cost him his job.Real sad.

JackleCube

However does not exactly inspire confidence that the owners are not trigger happy. After all he was "their man"
This was similar to my first thoughts; there seems to be a mentality of rather than resolving problems, we'll just clear out all responsible for them instead.

FreakLFC

The owners hate bad publicity. That's for sure. Eg Kenny left alone in the suarez case.
No surprises Jen is sacked.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Wonder if I was right after all I.e. the fake Luis Suarez transfer rumours being released in the old political sense to 'bury bad news' possibility relating to this thing which I happened to mention yesterday. Btw I am not a ITK exactly, more a highly skilled 2 and 2 together merchant :)

First whispers about this were yesterday

Though in some senses Chang may have felt out of place in the role anyway and had other things to deal with back in the US, it is unfortunately another failed appointment by FSG and they are adding up

Chang does have certain qualities but he's another one with character weaknesses, in his case over sensitivity which perhaps made him unsuitable. This though was known about before he took the job so enough homework might again not have been done

Till the club gets stability by successful appointments, the circus will always continue. But again our penchant for appointing inexperienced unsuitable candidates for club admin roles is biting us on the cock

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
A spokesman confirmed to the website 'Sporting Intelligence': 'I can confirm Jen Chang has left Liverpool football club by mutual consent and has returned to the United States for family reasons.'
Getting a bit stale doesn't it? Comolli also left due to family reasons just to see Tom Werner confirmed him being sacked. Lack of experience again showed glaringly when he mishandled that issue with twitter monger.

One does not simply sack Jen Chang.

He will be back.
Seriously.....

FreakLFC

Yeah its pretty obvious he is sacked.

Why did he do this? Was he a fan? He took the initiative to find out what was going wrong but did it completely unprofessionally.

Or maybe he wanted to become a hero. Maybe wanted a pay rise and thought if he could threaten this guy and stop him then Ayre would be happy.
Or he and Cummins actually planned this whole thing but got it completely wrong and JWH found out! Oops.

Well it will always remain a mystery.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Sometimes mutual consent really is mutual consent. He screwed up, regardless of whose interpretation of events you accept, and for a PR guy it is difficult to walk that back. Rather than struggle with badly damaged credibility, he and the club may have simply decided it did not work out, no hard feelings, and he would go back to being a journalist.

It is a shame, because I thought he was doing some good things, but clearly an error in judgement was made.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
I don't think they should have sacked him, but its a very understandable decision. I don't think it was a trigger happy decision.

The only thing that is really surprising to me is that they would fire him now, rather than when the Duncan Jenkins incident happened. Makes no sense to me to wait until now and have it all brought back up again.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
I don't think they should have sacked him, but its a very understandable decision. I don't think it was a trigger happy decision.

The only thing that is really surprising to me is that they would fire him now, rather than when the Duncan Jenkins incident happened. Makes no sense to me to wait until now and have it all brought back up again.
'Fire him' would have been the reaction then, 'mutual consent' is the phrasing for other journalists were making fun of him and he could not really do the job anymore.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
'Fire him' would have been the reaction then, 'mutual consent' is the phrasing for other journalists were making fun of him and he could not really do the job anymore.
I'm not going to lie, when I wrote that I didn't read beyond the headline. Didn't realize it was announced as mutual consent until I read your post.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"

Sorry TFC, one slip up and you're gone is trigger happy.

FreakLFC

JWH: "Sorry Jen, you've got to go"
JC: "You've gotta be shitting me?"
JWH: "No, There's no place left in your letterbox"

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
The club issued the apology, the same day as Hurricane Sandy hit America.

Chang has apparently been in America since then, and has not returned to Liverpool (according to reports). So given he has not worked for the club since the statement, I think its more likely to be a sacking. Rather "mutual consent".

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
hmmmm, I thought this was bollocks when it broke, I don't really think the owners had much choice to be honest. It's bad press for the club, as I've read nothing about it I can't really comment as to if he was or wasn't guilty. Shame really as he made some great moves with the fanbase - particularly inviting TIA and others to the Leverkusen match.

Doggie

Resident Optimist
All I can say is I am shocked, I don't think he deserved to lose his job. I can only imagine that there was more truth to the allegations than we like to admit.

When the Director of Communications creates his own PR disaster then there is surely only one outcome.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
I don't really have an opinion on that matter. It seems strange to part with a PR manager just a few weeks in his job, but well... hopefully they will find someone else who can make a reasonable job this time around...

FreakLFC

What sorta communications was the bloke doing anyway? He is a Journalist and he didnt even communicate with other Journos to not write shit about us. What a trash!

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Sorry but he was doing well till Jenkins and if as it looks like was true then FSG had no other option, another bash FSG thread then, this time they were right in appointing him but also right in sacking him, you can't do what it is suggested he did.

Lucas

Have to agree with Mattyhurst here, Chang was doing a very good job, great ideas especially regarding the journalist meetings etc. It's a shame it had to end in this way, and perhaps a tad harsh in my opinion

steveo72

TIA Youth Team
Not sure why dunkin jenkins, a self professed fan of the club, wouldn't just say "Hey my bad Chang, I did'nt know I cost the club money with my twitter account, I'll close it up. Thanks for the heads up". Self-indulgent, attention seeking lump.

With that said and regardless of how you view the severity of what he did, it was quite unprofessional on his part and not befitting of the role he was filling at the club. Did he deserve to lose his job over it? In my view no, the storm will have blown over (as I haven't heard much about it recently) and he would have continued doing the good work he set out doing. I bet Chang even thought the owners would silently approve of his actions trying to take the bull by the horns. But...to quote William Munny, "Deserves got nothing to do with it".

JH and Co. are businessman, ruthless to a fault. They are on quite the stage with LFC and everything they do will be displayed for all to see despite the liverpool way. To them, bad press equals loss in revenue, which equals sack the cause. 2+2=42. But, if I had done something like that in my job, I'd be fired as well most likely...

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Not sure why dunkin jenkins, a self professed fan of the club, wouldn't just say "Hey my bad Chang, I did'nt know I cost the club money with my twitter account, I'll close it up. Thanks for the heads up". Self-indulgent, attention seeking lump.
Wait until he writes the book about the club...

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Ad-free Member
You see ze problem with bad recruiting is that ze recruting is being handled by either Ian (not the right person) or by Tom and his folks in "Buuston".

If there were a true CEO leader in Liverpool, they would hire the right people, who in turn would hire the right people.

Right now, there's nobody accountable for leadership recruiting.

No wonder it's crap.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that Jen has been brought back as a temporary consultant to write his own Press Release about his termination!

OhYaBeauty

Can't say I'm too surprised. The Changsta got himself in quite a bit of trouble with Jenkins there and he was always on his way out after that. I do think he did a good job when he was here, up until the part where he forgot that he was a PR guy and starting thinking he was Don Corleone.