• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Jen Chang leaves LFC by mutual consent

Toby

TIA Youth Team
It isn't as if FSG has a huge mountain of trust built up with the fans. The simple truth is that any LFC official who doesn't meet the high standards of LFC fans will get the sack from FSG. Period. No matter who.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
I'll add this to the sizeable pile of minor ones. ;)

Really bizarre sacking though. Absolutely pointless.
Presuming the report of events is true, would you really continue to employ somebody who acted in this manner?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Presuming the report of events is true, would you really continue to employ somebody who acted in this manner?
Took somebody out for lunch?

Asked somebody to do something they later voluntarily did anyway?

Try to reach somebody by phone who told you to ring them later?

Warned somebody of how our more extreme fans might act if his identity became common knowledge (believe he is having quite a hard time)?

Warned somebody that there were journalists who didnt like him and ready to make his identity public (happened)?

Threatened to cancel a missused season ticket?

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
He made a mistake, and the consequences had blown over. I believe in second chances.

This removes a good employee and puts the story back in the papers v

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
Which is perhaps the biggest point PTT, given it is likely to be one mans word against another (unless Chang was so daft he admitted to his boss he threatened a member of the public/reporter) Do you take the word of a fictitious character/ B list twitter celebrity or your employee ?

If his only error was simply meeting him (which is quite possible), the outcome is way over the top.

If he did try to intimidate (which I think most people agree appears unlikely) no one can argue with the decision

The truth probably somewhere in the middle, but I lean towards he was stupid, rather than the bully.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
I think his mistake was grave enough to warrant him leaving the club, personally I'd have very publicly pushed him. I think FSG where extremely lenient with the family story.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Think that he has left by mutual consent.

FSGs perspective no matter how stupid the reasons a huge piece of bad PR was generated outside of our PR mans control.

Changs perspective, his dream of working at Liverpool soured, seen as the enemy and a figure of hate by a proportion of the fan base. Some of the things Ive seen written aimed at him on twitter by Seans group is truely sickening.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Took somebody out for lunch?

Asked somebody to do something they later voluntarily did anyway?

Try to reach somebody by phone who told you to ring them later?

Warned somebody of how our more extreme fans might act if his identity became common knowledge (believe he is having quite a hard time)?

Warned somebody that there were journalists who didnt like him and ready to make his identity public (happened)?

Threatened to cancel a missused season ticket?
If he did nothing wrong, why has he left (been pushed)? I think there is truth in the story (otherwise he'd still be in a job) and his actions deserved the inevitable outcome.

Why are some fans utterly incapable of seeing any mistakes that our club, players and management make? I like your loyalty but he was coming over all Godfather and it was totally and utterly unacceptable.

Which is perhaps the biggest point PTT, given it is likely to be one mans word against another (unless Chang was so daft he admitted to his boss he threatened a member of the public/reporter) Do you take the word of a fictitious character/ B list twitter celebrity or your employee ?

If his only error was simply meeting him (which is quite possible), the outcome is way over the top.

If he did try to intimidate (which I think most people agree appears unlikely) no one can argue with the decision

The truth probably somewhere in the middle, but I lean towards he was stupid, rather than the bully.
What you do is mitigate the medium to long term damage and clear the ranks of people liable to do and say stupid things.

ptt

2020, head of the table.

"You know how crazy football fans are", he said, "You'll have dog shit coming through your letterbox, you'll have to take your Facebook page down, you might even have to move house".

He repeated the stuff about dog shit coming through my letterbox several times, reiterating that football fans, especially Liverpool FC fans, are crazy and would make my life a living hell.

He then said the papers would also "ruin your Dad's online business".

Seeing as this is our only evidence of the discussion and Jen is yet to comment on specifics, I think we can take this as the best evidence in the case so far. It's certainly not the way I want our club's staff to operate.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
If he did nothing wrong, why has he left (been pushed)? I think there is truth in the story (otherwise he'd still be in a job) and his actions deserved the inevitable outcome.

Why are some fans utterly incapable of seeing any mistakes that our club, players and management make? I like your loyalty but he was coming over all Godfather and it was totally and utterly unacceptable.

What you do is mitigate the medium to long term damage and clear the ranks of people liable to do and say stupid things.
Read the events of Seans story again, not Seans interpretation of the events, ignore his opinions on what he does or does not consider bull and what he does or does not get emotional about, just the actual facts of what Sean says happened and what I said above is exactly what Sean said happened. And I see nothing wrong with those facts even as stated by Sean. The reason Chang is leaving is because of what I posted before on the two perspectives leading to a mutual agreement.

"You know how crazy football fans are", he said, "You'll have dog shit coming through your letterbox, you'll have to take your Facebook page down, you might even have to move house".

He repeated the stuff about dog shit coming through my letterbox several times, reiterating that football fans, especially Liverpool FC fans, are crazy and would make my life a living hell.

Seeing as this is our only evidence of the discussion and Jen is yet to comment on specifics, I think we can take this as the best evidence in the case so far. It's certainly not the way I want our club's staff to operate.
Think you will find the papers did expose him and many fans have treated him roughly just as Chang tried to warn him they would.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Read the events of Seans story again, not Seans interpretation of the events, ignore his opinions on what he does or does not consider bull and what he does or does not get emotional about, just the actual facts of what Sean says happened and what I said above is exactly what Sean said happened. And I see nothing wrong with those facts even as stated by Sean. The reason Chang is leaving is because of what I posted before on the two perspectives leading to a mutual agreement.

Think you will find the papers did expose him and many fans have treated him roughly just as Chang tried to warn him they would.

He didn't warn him, he threatened him, if this account is to be believed. Surely you can see the difference?

DEVGRU

Banned for the umpteenth time
He made a mistake, and the consequences had blown over. I believe in second chances.

I think, when it comes to the corporate world and the kind of responsibilities that go with a high profile job for one of the biggest clubs in the world, what transpired didn't do us or anyone any good. It was a silly spat that shouldn't have gotten as far as it did.

Not to say the blogger in question was innocent in all of this.

But as communications chief, you are judged on your ability to contain issues/handle PR disasters. In this case, Chang was responsible for this little PR disaster.

To you and me, it was such a small issue not even worth thinking about....and rightfully so but..that's the price you pay when you are in the line of work he is in,.

5euros

TIA Legend
Meh. Had nothing to do with the footballing side of things so I find it hard to care. Still, I would have took his side over that prick Jenkins.

DEVGRU

For what it's worth, we don't emply mafia like tactics when dealing with the media or anyone in general. Idiots included.

The day we start doing all that and we are less than a club.

Remember that.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
For what it's worth, we don't emply mafia like tactics when dealing with the media or anyone in general. Idiots included.

The day we start doing all that and we are less than a club.

Remember that.
You've lost me there mate and I'm sure it's aimed at me.

DEVGRU

You've lost me there mate and I'm sure it's aimed at me.
Nope. Not at all. Was just making a general comment...def not at you so please don't be offended or anything.

Cheers

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Sorry, I'm half pissed and read italics not tactics... My bad :wave:

DEVGRU

Sorry, I'm half pissed and read italics not tactics... My bad :wave:
I start today after lunch...waiting for my shift to end first..then we have a barbie set up..if it doesn't bloody rain!

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member

He didn't warn him, he threatened him, if this account is to be believed. Surely you can see the difference?
Unless Chang is now supposed to run the British press he can't threaten somebody with what the British press will do, only warn them of the possible consequences of what could happen if his identity was leaked by the press....which it was. Considering only Seans version has ever come out Sean has still got quite a rough ride here an there imagine how rough it would of got if Liverpool FC were the ones who went public first and put their side out there including the potential harm to transfer negotiation. Some of our fans may have caused actual violence to Sean if the club had. Changs "threats" which I read as warnings were actually quite mild to me.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
io take it that makes three now? ;)
I think the broader lesson here is that they should only hire Americans. Comolli (French) didn't work out, in spectacular fashion. Chang (British) didn't work out, somewhat dramatic but less expensive. The American commercial director they put in has quietly added 35% to commercial revenues, and yet you cannot find his name on this forum.*

*I am of course trolling to some degree here.

Arminius

FSG PR plant

I never actually saw the 'threat' in what Chang said to him. I think Chang's mistake in the end was not to act to destroy Cummins without explanation or conversation. A properly run club would have made an example of him, Chang's error was to try to reach to out him. A suit for libel would have been the only correct response.

Arminius

FSG PR plant

Sure - but it was a massive error in judgement. As I said earlier, I think this might really have been mutual.

Mostly though, I am a bit sickened at what appears to be a cancer among LFC supporters. There really seems to be a certain delight at a lifelong supporter leaving his position at the club.

Arminius

FSG PR plant

Supporters of this club did of course send death threats to a Texas judge because he had the temerity to wish to review the evidence before setting aside Hicks' request for an injunction to prevent the sale of LFC. That is a matter of public record.

DEVGRU

I think the broader lesson here is that they should only hire Americans. Comolli (French) didn't work out, in spectacular fashion. Chang (British) didn't work out, somewhat dramatic but less expensive. The American commercial director they put in has quietly added 35% to commercial revenues, and yet you cannot find his name on this forum.*

Isn't Chang americano?

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
Actually that paragraph brings up an interesting aspect of his motives.

If he actually saw that threat (Facebook/Dads Business/ Letterbox) why go public and create a media storm where you know your identity will probably come out ?

Why not go to the police ?
Why not write a letter to Ayre/Werner/Henry ?

If you believe as he states the Chang went "off the grid" to track him down, acted without club consent, would any of us use it to gain 5 minutes of internet fame (with all the crap that goes along with it) or would we try deal with it in private with the club (probably with same outcome of getting Chang fired).

One thing he wrote was quite interesting
http://www.thefootba...football-journo

ts a very competative market out there with literally hundreds of millions of football bloggers and perspiring journo’s. the key to making it big time like me is making yourself stand out from the crowds. i have many strings to my bone and i feel it is that which has helped me stand out from the other bloggers. so how do you stand out.
I think it is clear he is an attention seeker.

Sometimes an image tells a thousand words, (image he used with his articles as above) perhaps I am judgemental but he looks like a little prick. Perhaps its his hair or its a topless picture in doors, but either way he looks like someone whose major kick out of life is internet stardom.

For me his side of the story does not fully add up. Why hurt the club you support in public? Why was he not apologetic to Chang as soon as he found out the supposed damage he was causing ? (any normal fan would not need threat after threat after they found out the supposed damage caused). Why would a "perspiring journo"not record any part of the interactions, be it the meeting of phone calls. Why meet Chang in the first place given he had quit twitter after making a wrong prediction ?

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road

following your logic, lets get some american sawker players in too....theres a bloke down at fulham i think, we could nab him peice of piss, infact, might as well write the transfer up on the home page now.....

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Supporters of this club did of course send death threats to a Texas judge because he had the temerity to wish to review the evidence before setting aside Hicks' request for an injunction to prevent the sale of LFC. That is a matter of public record.
For god's sake don't judge them though. I'm sure they have special behavioral needs and patterns that arn't their fault. To even suggest that their actions are out of order would be infringing their human rights. God I feel an almighty rant coming on in the off topic thread........

K

Kev

This is one sorry episode. Another one the club just didn't need.

The owners have to take some blame here. Appointing chang was a catastrophe waiting to happen. The guy is a certified clown. Just look at his twitter feed. Before coming here it was littered with episodes where he got involved in bickering with fans who questioned whatever he was saying. He can't help himself.

Whatever you think of this Jenkins character (and he is a monster of a bellend fwiw), you can't threaten people. He's a disgrace.

As I said. A right sorry sate of affairs and all he's done is heap more embarrassment on a club that has a tradition of airing their dirty laundry in-house. Chang should never have been given the right to operate for LFC.