• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Joe Cole to QPR/West Ham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uberkoen

TIA Reserve Team
QPR boss Harry Redknapp has confirmed he will speak to Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers about the potential signing of Joe Cole.

Redknapp knows Cole well from their time together at West Ham, and he has retained an admiration for the England international.

Cole was the target of Redknapp's advances during the 65-year-old's reign at Tottenham, but the midfielder opted to join Roy Hodgson at Liverpool in a move that is yet to prove a success.

Known to be on significant wages at Anfield, Cole has featured in six Premier League games this season and Rodgers has previously revealed he would be open to approaches for the 31-year-old.

Redknapp claims QPR would not be able to match Cole's current salary, but he will contact Rodgers during the newly opened transfer window to see if Rangers can cut a deal that would possibly see Liverpool subsidise a percentage of the player's
wages.

"I'd like to bring Joe here if we could but the deal would have to be right for the club," Redknapp said at a press conference on Tuesday. "I'd like to bring Joe to the club.

"We couldn't do a deal with what his contract is at Liverpool. We'd have to find a way of doing a deal with Liverpool if they're willing to let him go.

"I'll have to speak to Brendan, I'll have a chat with him when the time is right and see what he has to say."

Redknapp was asked if he had spoken to Cole directly about the player's views on a potential transfer, prompting the QPR manager to remind the media of FA rules on tapping up players.

"I'm not allowed to speak to Joe. Are you trying to get me banned by the FA or something?!" he quipped.

"I haven't spoken to Joe for about two years. I was interested in him at Tottenham when he went to Liverpool, that's the last time I spoke to Joe. But he's a great lad."

Read more at http://www.espn.co.u...s1X4Q8KBDBcs.99

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
shame BR was ill at the weekend. They could have had a chat then and had this sorted already. :(

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
And the thread that we see every transfer window for last 2 seasons - cole to QPR or cole joining with Harry Redknapp.

Me here hoping every time thats its true and we have become good in transfer dealings. Sigh.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
shame BR was ill at the weekend. They could have had a chat then and had this sorted already. :(
Don't despair: Telephones are wonderfull contraptions and you can even comunicate via computer terminal-type thingymebobs I'm led to understand - even if one of you is currently hurling up.

Doggie

Resident Optimist
This does seem to be gaining ground. Fingers crossed.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
There are direct quotes from Redknapp, so this definitely has hands and feet. QPR are quite rich, and could pay a chunk of his wages he is on now. There should be room for negociation, so why not?

The thing is though, the squad is already paper thin, and Cole has done reasonably well when coming in. So I guess it will be also down to whether we can replace him with a better player or not. Hopefully that will be the case, and Cole can go back to London, where he'll surely be a success for QPR, given his good relationship with Redknapp.

darren kelly

"Luisito Estamos Con Vos"
I will gladly drive him there if he leaves and we do not have to pay any of his wages.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
There are direct quotes from Redknapp, so this definitely has hands and feet. QPR are quite rich, and could pay a chunk of his wages he is on now. There should be room for negociation, so why not?

The thing is though, the squad is already paper thin, and Cole has done reasonably well when coming in. So I guess it will be also down to whether we can replace him with a better player or not. Hopefully that will be the case, and Cole can go back to London, where he'll surely be a success for QPR, given his good relationship with Redknapp.
I dont think losing Cole will in itself weaken the squad any further. Downing and Henderson are featuring more than they initially did. I think we will see at least two forwards come in during this window and possibly three. the only issue will be for europa league games as it isnt clear yet which of our new players will be unavailable for that.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
From the way he spoke about signing Joe Cole, it seems he wants us to pay for all his wages....

SF Red

TIA Regular
From the way he spoke about signing Joe Cole, it seems he wants us to pay for all his wages....
I think the following statement is the opposite of that.
"We couldn't do a deal with what his contract is at Liverpool. We'd have to find a way of doing a deal with Liverpool if they're willing to let him go.

gasband

Ad-free Member
I think the following statement is the opposite of that.
If we are willing to let him go, then it will be him doing a deal with cole, we are no longer the issue. But if we are willing to let him go and his statement on "We'd have to find a way of doing a deal with Liverpool", seems to trying to imply that even if you are willing to let him go, I will still have to try to find a way because "We couldn't do a deal with what his contract is at Liverpool".If he had said that he will want Joe Cole to lower his wage demands, then that is fine. But he did not say that and I think he might be pushing for a loan and for us to pay for most of his wages or like some clubs do, to get a player off their books to subsidize wages for a certain period of time.

SF Red

TIA Regular
If we are willing to let him go, then it will be him doing a deal with cole, we are no longer the issue. But if we are willing to let him go and his statement on "We'd have to find a way of doing a deal with Liverpool", seems to trying to imply that even if you are willing to let him go, I will still have to try to find a way because "We couldn't do a deal with what his contract is at Liverpool".If he had said that he will want Joe Cole to lower his wage demands, then that is fine. But he did not say that and I think he might be pushing for a loan and for us to pay for most of his wages or like some clubs do, to get a player off their books to subsidize wages for a certain period of time.
We will be paying off some of his wages - that is what he means. "Letting him go" means coming to an agreement on a payoff for Cole - not just releasing him without paying him off. If we can get rid of Cole and pay less than half of his remaining wages of about 7m or so, that would be a good deal IMO.

BTW - I read your initial post incorrectly. I agree that Redknapp wants us to pay some of his wages. There were earlier reports of a 3.6m payoff which would be about half of his 7m (90K for 18 months) wages left on his contract. I don't think that is a bad deal.

DEVGRU

Banned for the umpteenth time
Joe Cole would, I suspect get a fantastic send off..that and his 80k-100k wage packet. It just didn't work out for him here in the 2-3 seasons he was with us..but what a collosal mistake to begin with.

boston red

Show me the Mane.
Joe Cole would, I suspect get a fantastic send off..that and his 80k-100k wage packet. It just didn't work out for him here in the 2-3 seasons he was with us..but what a collosal mistake to begin with.
I agree it was a bad transfer,It was down to one man and 2 moppets..

gasband

Ad-free Member
It did turn out to be a bad transfer but to be honest, getting Joe Cole when he was 29, one of the supposed most talented English midfielders of his time, on a free transfer, paying him 90K in wages seem like a good tradeoff and risk. It did not payoff but not many people would have said it was a bad transfer when it took place initially.

DEVGRU

Banned for the umpteenth time
It did turn out to be a bad transfer but to be honest, getting Joe Cole when he was 29, one of the supposed most talented English midfielders of his time, on a free transfer, paying him 90K in wages seem like a good tradeoff and risk. It did not payoff but not many people would have said it was a bad transfer when it took place initially.
They said the same thing when we signed Harry Kewell...and we didn't learn from that. There was a reason Chelsea didn't renew his contract. Even at the age of 29.

gasband

Ad-free Member
They said the same thing when we signed Harry Kewell...and we didn't learn from that. There was a reason Chelsea didn't renew his contract. Even at the age of 29.
I would like to say otherwise but whatever you and I have to say, its all in hindsight. There are many players who go out of contract at 29 or available at a small price. For example players like Fernando Morientes or Joe Cole or even Harry Kewell.These are players who had done well in previous clubs and everybody knew how good they were. If based on what you say, then any player who goes out of contract at 29 or so is no good? We can say it did not work out now, simply because NOW we know it did not work out. But if we were to tell our club, hey look at Harry Kewell, it did not work out, so we should stop signing every single 29 year old whose contract is going to wind down.Hope you understand what I am saying. I totally agree the fact that Joe COle did not work out but to say that we should long ago knew Joe Cole would never have worked out is at its best, the best example of hindsight.

jabu

TIA New Signing
Please please red knapp please si, make it happen!

WrinkledMind

Living A Life Consumed By Slow Decay.
The only reason we shouldn't have signed Joe Cole, because the manager then was infuriated(not irked, frustrated or even shocked) but infuriated when he was told about signing Joe for 90k.

Rafa has mentioned that in his book.Stupid CP signed him, inspite of Rafa's strong reservation during the negotiations.I wonder if Rafa would have allowed it to happen, if he had stayed.

Signing any player, comes with its degree of risks.

I remember being happy when we signed Kewell.He was really good at Leeds, along with the likes of Viduka, etc.Nobody thought he would have been so injury prone.
The same could be said for Joe.
Though in hindsight it looks like a bad deal, I know a lot of the people were quietly excited for having him here.Especially at a time, when there was a staggering chaos going on in the club.

Too bad, its turned out to be a monumental fuckup.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I would like to say otherwise but whatever you and I have to say, its all in hindsight. There are many players who go out of contract at 29 or available at a small price. For example players like Fernando Morientes or Joe Cole or even Harry Kewell.These are players who had done well in previous clubs and everybody knew how good they were. If based on what you say, then any player who goes out of contract at 29 or so is no good? We can say it did not work out now, simply because NOW we know it did not work out. But if we were to tell our club, hey look at Harry Kewell, it did not work out, so we should stop signing every single 29 year old whose contract is going to wind down.Hope you understand what I am saying. I totally agree the fact that Joe COle did not work out but to say that we should long ago knew Joe Cole would never have worked out is at its best, the best example of hindsight.
Many fans were not in favour of his signing at the time. It was clear at the time it was a huge gamble. It did nothing to address our main problems and he had difficulty staying fit. It also added to an ageing squad. The signing of Kewell is a poor comparison.

RedSeven

On the one road
Ad-free Member
The clincher on that should be which of them is willing to pay all his wages.Need to get Joe completely off the books

WrinkledMind

Living A Life Consumed By Slow Decay.
Lady Luck loves us again.
I don't want to get greedy, but I hope Lille barge in too.All that Hazard is there to spend.

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
Had Joe been at the same level he was at when 26-27 then yes it was a perfectly sane deal to sign him up, but anyone who had watched him play the tail end of his Chelsea career could see that the man had lost the spark physically. It is the same with Kaka and the same with Torres, it's not just a case of injury prone it's a case of injuries forever changing your body and then your confidence levels...

Still he probably did some good for us behind the scenes, squad morale, and was probably fun to work with in training. Not worth 90k of course but I don't hold anything against the man, he tried his best. Kinda wish he left for a different league earlier in his career, I never thought Chelsea was the best fit and he could have succeeded in Spain or Italy.

Anyway a bidding war would be fantastic. If we get Sahin and Cole off the books that is a massive savings in wages. Would pay for three Gameiros worth of wages...

Status
Not open for further replies.